Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Old Nov 8, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
American Airlines Same Day Standby Policy and Discussion
(Not to be confused with SDFC / Same Day Flight Change - see links below)

Standby has its own rules and peculiarities: (As of 14 Jan 2016)

Same-day standby

Standby for a fee (waived for AA Elites)

For $75 on domestic flights, you may standby on an earlier flight under the following conditions:
  • Standby is not allowed for international flights*.
  • Has the same origin and destination
  • Is for the same calendar day of departure
  • Is marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle
  • Changes to another multi-city airport or to different connecting cities are not allowed
  • You can standby for your originally purchased cabin (not upgraded cabin)
  • Standby means upgrades on the original flights are lost (you can not be on an upgrade list until your standby has cleared)
  • Standby pax may be required to gate check carry-on baggage
  • Standby is prioritized - see "PALL List" link below

*Standby between NYC-LON is offered for $150.

AAdvantage elite members may use the standby option for earlier or later flights.

Though it appeared those with checked bags were being denied SDS, JonNYC clarified that AA affirmed AA Elites are allowed to SDS if they have checked bags. Link.

Complimentary standby
Get complimentary same-day standby with:
  • Unrestricted Economy Class (Y fare), Business or First Class tickets
  • American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum, Platinum Pro or Gold status and companions in same record
  • oneworld Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby status and companions in same record
  • AirPass membership
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver award tickets
  • AAnytime award tickets
  • Choice Plus fares

Complimentary same-day standby is also available for:
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders

Link

The following passengers may standby at no charge based on availability:
  • Customers who purchase unrestricted Economy Class fares (Y class of service)
  • Customers who purchase Business or First Class tickets
  • Active U.S. military personnel traveling on orders or personal travel
  • Active U.S. military dependents traveling on orders
  • American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum Pro, Platinum or Gold members
  • oneworld alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members
  • Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Platinum or Gold member or oneworld alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flyer status or fare type
  • AAirpass members
  • First and Business Class MileSAAver Awards
  • First, Business and Economy Class AAnytime Awards
  • Customers who purchase a Choice Plus fare

Link

Q. What happens to my upgrade if I stand by for another flight?

Your upgrade and position will be lost. You can not be added to the upgrade list on your desired flight until you have cleared from standby. At that point, it may be too late to request your upgrade, given upgrade requests are normally processed prior to the standby list.

See "Airport Upgrade and Standby List" / Order, PALL List and issues (FT)

Previous posts have been archived and can be read here

Standby is not the same thing as SDFC / Same Day Confirmed Flight Change:

See "Domestic" Same Day Confirmed Flight Change / SDFC / CFC / "Standby" or

International Same Day Flight Change / SDFC / SDC / CDC
Print Wikipost

Same Day Standby / SDS (not SDFC) Rules & Discussion (master thread)

Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:17 pm

You don't have a connection in ORD.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA CK, DL GM, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH DIA
I was dyslexic there--PHL-ORD-LHR-CPH
Old Feb 26, 2015, 6:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Standby BA Ticket on AA Metal

The fact it is issued by BA doesn't affect standby. What does play a factor is that you are trying to standby the domestic leg of an international itinerary. There is a thread on that.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:40 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by jdanton
I tried searching for this without much luck. I'm on a J ticket (not fully changeable) and realized my connection in ORD was tight. American won't let me use SDC to change the flight, because it's BA ticket stock.

There's a lot of availability and I'm OW Emerald (US CP)--can I just show up at the airport and standby for an earlier flight?
As there is indeed an extant thread on this topic, I'll merge this question and its responses in.

~Moderator
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz President's Circle
Is standby or confirmed same-day change for Carribean -> MIA allowed, given that AA generally treats Carribean destinations as "domestic"? If so, is MCT enforced or can I change to a flight that is slightly within MCT for my connecting leg?
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt, Hertz President's Circle, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club Gold
flying standby on a combined AA/AS ticket?

i have purchased a JFK-LAX-SEA itinerary. the JFK-LAX itinerary is AA, the LAX-SEA is alaska. would i be able to fly standby on either/both the segments? thanks!
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:41 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Assuming you booked through AA, you can definitely standby on JFK-LAX. I am not sure about LAX-SEA--I have been able to get on earlier flights on SEA-PDX flights even on an AA ticket, but maybe I just got lucky. Also, I know the rules are a little different for the shuttle flights.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 12:49 pm

standby for earlier flight with checked bags question

I only saw some old posts related to standby with checked bags, therefore this thread.

I can book a 3pm flight JFK-DCA. I would like to standby for an earlier flight. I will be arriving on CX 888 into JFK at 6:00 AM. IF I get to the counter at least 1 hour before the flight I want to take and standby for it, can I check the bag and standby for the 10:30 AM flight? I am AA Plat and BA Gold. I will be traveling with a non-status friend.

Thanks...
Old Oct 4, 2015, 1:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by headinclouds
I only saw some old posts related to standby with checked bags, therefore this thread.

I can book a 3pm flight JFK-DCA. I would like to standby for an earlier flight. I will be arriving on CX 888 into JFK at 6:00 AM. IF I get to the counter at least 1 hour before the flight I want to take and standby for it, can I check the bag and standby for the 10:30 AM flight? I am AA Plat and BA Gold. I will be traveling with a non-status friend.

Thanks...
I've done it and the check bag has gone on the earlier flight. I was told if I don't make that flight I will need to claim bags at the baggage office. So you would be taking a chance with your bag going unclaimed at the baggage belt and hope an AA employee pulls it off and secures it in the baggage office. Since I have always made the earlier flight I've been able to fly with my bag.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Policy was recently revised to allow elites to standby for alternate flights even when bags have been checked on the original flight, so you shouldn't have any issues provided that you and your friend are on the same PNR.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: United 1K (I miss CO) & 1MM; AA Gold; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Standby to cancun

On a miles ticket MIA-CUN Mexico. Can I standby for an earlier flight?
Old Oct 27, 2015, 9:37 am

Booking Multi-Stop AA Flight Then Opting For Nonstop

I have booked a flight that makes one stop each way between departure city and arrival city on American Airlines. The price for the flight with one layover on each leg is half the price of the nonstop version.

I am AA Platinum and am wondering if I will be eligible for standby or AA's Same Day Standby for the nonstop flights.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by EGtex
I have booked a flight that makes one stop each way between departure city and arrival city on American Airlines. The price for the flight with one layover on each leg is half the price of the nonstop version.

I am AA Platinum and am wondering if I will be eligible for standby or AA's Same Day Standby for the nonstop flights.
Yes, assuming a domestic flight, you can use either one to change to the nonstop, assuming availability. Standby would be free, confirmed same day change is $75.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/sameDayTravel.jsp
Old Oct 27, 2015, 10:16 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the AA Forum
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Oct 27, 2015, 10:40 am

Programs: AA EXP
Make sure you read the fare rules on your ticket. Some of them explicitly forbid standing by for a direct flight e.g. I had a LAX-DFW-JFK ticket and the system would not allow me to standby for a LAX-JFK flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.