Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What are AA 🔹Platinum / PLT Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2013, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
What are AAdvantage Platinum / PLT Benefits? Are they worth it?

Platinum status requirements*: in one calendar year, earn 50,000 EQ Miles or fly 60 EQ Segments (in 2017, AND earn $6,000 EQDs)

C/Y Platinum status requirements: $6,000 EQD*, PLUS 60 segments or 50,000 EQ Miles

*See FT: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

Members no longer must fly at least 4 segments on American during the qualifying year to receive elite status; this requirement was eliminated in 2017.

Status will last that status year and the following status year - status earned in 2018 will last through 31 Jan 2020.

Preferred benefits:
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Two (2) free checked bags (extends to all traveling companions same PNR)
  • Minimum mileage guarantee (as of 1 August 2016, only applies to EQM)
  • 60% elite mileage bonus NOTE: (8 miles per "fare dollar" (base fare + carrier imposed fees, not taxes) as of 1 Aug 2016)
  • Business class lounge access longhaul international and MEX** (see below)
  • oneworld benefits (see below)
  • Alaska Airlines benefits (see below)
Airport benefits
  • Priority through the airport at check-in, security and boarding
  • Checked bag fee waived for two (2) bags
  • Priority baggage delivery
  • Complimentary same-day standby
  • NOTE: Complimentary same-day flight change on American Airlines NOT available
  • Discounted Admirals Club® membership
Upgrade benefits (on AA)
  • 48-hour upgrade window (changed from 72 hours in 2017)
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Use earned or purchased 500-mile upgrades*
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*
  • Upgrades confirmed before departure (as early as) 72 hours (48 in 2017)
  • *Upgrades are valid on American marketed and operated flights, within and between the U.S. (including Hawaii) and between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America (based on availability). Upgrades are valid from the Main Cabin to the next class of service.
  • Gold and Platinum members will get four 500-mile upgrades for every 12,500 elite-qualifying miles you earn during the membership year after you achieve status.
Other benefits
  • "Exclusive service desk" (actual prioritized number to Reservations lines)
  • Complimentary preferred seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Exclusive partner offers
Award benefits
  • Award processing charge waived (awards within 21 days of travel)
  • Special discounts on hotel and car awards
  • NOTE: Extended award availability is only an Executive Platinum benefit
oneworld benefits*
  • oneworld priority check-in and standby
  • oneworld priority boarding
  • oneworld partner lounge access** Business Class and frequent flyer lounges
*oneworld benefits are available only to passengers on scheduled flights that are both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline (marketed means that there must be a oneworld member airline flight number on your ticket).
**Access to Qantas Domestic Business Lounges excluded. AAdvantage member access to American Airlines lounges excluded (regardless of status or class of service) if traveling within North America or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

Alaska Airlines Benefits ended 1/1/2018
Can only earn EQ on AA codeshares and AS International flights

Link to aa.com guide to AAdvantage Elite benefits (all levels)

Link to AA Platinum Member's Guide in PDF form (2013).

Link to Archive of older posts from this thread.

Updated 16 Jan 2018 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

What are AA 🔹Platinum / PLT Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2013, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by MasterPlanner
By the way, do you spend > $40k on your Executive card? If so then don't forget about the 10k EQM that's coming your way as well...

(...and if you're trying for PLT, why not go whole-hog for EXP? )
Do those 10k count toward a challenge? Not admitting anything about spending, and speaking entirely hypothetically, of course . . .
Old Jun 7, 2013, 8:26 pm

For me, it is a simple process to decide whether or not I should do a milage run:

Q: Do I enjoy sitting in a plane/airport for several hours?
A: Yes I do. I should do a mileage run.

I'm on track to mileage run about 70 segments this year to get to EXP instead of just Gold. It's worth it to me, because I enjoy sitting in planes and airports--I think it's fun.

In your case, it sounds like you're not going to get much benefit out of a mileage run--the 25% bonus RDM and the priority phone line, since you'll get everything else from your J/F fares. In that case, it comes down to whether or not you would rather be on a plane or not.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ysolde
Do those 10k count toward a challenge? Not admitting anything about spending, and speaking entirely hypothetically, of course . . .
No. The 10k you get from the CC are EQM. Challenges are based on EQP.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 6:44 pm

Programs: Hilton, American, Club Carlson, United, Marriott, Starwood
The only reason I would even consider a mileage or mattress run is if I were already this >< close to making a status and a single flight or weekend would push me over the top for some usable perks.

In your case, you already purchase premium accommodations, so any perks of status are of negligible incremental value.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 7:19 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by Stripy
One thing that PLT will get you that you can't get with a premium ticket is a 100% mileage bonus (on top of the class of service bonus you'll get for booking premium tickets).
That's what usually does it for me in terms of deciding if I should stay at Gold or Platinum.

Originally Posted by Bttc
For me, it is a simple process to decide whether or not I should do a milage run:

Q: Do I enjoy sitting in a plane/airport for several hours?
A: Yes I do. I should do a mileage run.

I'm on track to mileage run about 70 segments this year to get to EXP instead of just Gold. It's worth it to me, because I enjoy sitting in planes and airports--I think it's fun.
I've been flying a lot for both work and pleasure - about 25k miles the past 4-5 weeks. While I love the flying, it does get tedious sometimes. Fortunately I have nothing planned for the next few weeks. I will be happy not having to schelp over to SFO at 4:00 a.m. or miss spending a nice Saturday afternoon with my family.

That being said, I know after a few weeks I will want to be back on an airplane/airport to some destination..
Old Jun 9, 2013, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
I just don't know if going for Platinum is worth it.
As OP is F/J flyer, I think a notable difference between GLD and PLT is elite bonus RDM, so it depends on how many op will fly next year and how much op values RDM.

If OP will fly 40k miles next year, 30k(= 40k * 75%) more RDM OP will earn if OP is PLT.

If Op values RDM at $0.02/mile, 30K miles is worth $600.
So the cost of MR for PLT is less than $600, it may worth doing it.

For me, as we can likely buy RDM at around $0.02/mile outright, I set my target RDM cost is $0.01/mile for MR worth.
In this case, I may want to pay $300 max to get PLT.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 2:23 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I can probably fit in a MR or two to get myself to Plat between July and September, but I am not sure if it would be worth it to do so. I have only been back to American for about a year and a half now, and my TATLs have been on SQ during that time, but I got a little taste of the new F on a short haul recently, and if that is what is to come in the future . . . well, American may be getting more of my attention on TATL, too. I just don't know if going for Platinum is worth it.
As variations on this question do come up from time to time we keep consolidated threads for tem. I've merged your question into the thread geared specifically toward the Platinum tier. I was able to find it by doing an advanced search, in thread titles only, for "platinum worth" without the quotes.

~Moderator
Old Jul 2, 2013, 9:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, SPG Gold, National EC Executive, AA Platinum
I am considering going for platinum status and have a quick question about upgrades. Do I have to use the 500mile upgrades or are there occasions I would be upgraded without them just based on the platinum status?
Old Jul 2, 2013, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by poptarts
I am considering going for platinum status and have a quick question about upgrades. Do I have to use the 500mile upgrades or are there occasions I would be upgraded without them just based on the platinum status?
Unless there is an oversell in Y and they do a cabin roll/you get an operational upgrade, you need to use stickers. AA only has unlimited upgrades for EXP.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA, AA EXP
as PLT do you get 100% mileage bonus if you bought a deep discounted ticket?
Old Jul 10, 2013, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by combiblock
as PLT do you get 100% mileage bonus if you bought a deep discounted ticket?
Yes.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 6:21 pm

How often do PLT flyers find their domestic upgrade requests going through? I'd be flying out of BOS and BDL mainly, if I'd have luck getting a First or Business seat most of the time then it'd be worth flying the additional miles this year to qualify I think.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by Pinned
How often do PLT flyers find their domestic upgrade requests going through? I'd be flying out of BOS and BDL mainly, if I'd have luck getting a First or Business seat most of the time then it'd be worth flying the additional miles this year to qualify I think.
I reverted to PLT for a year (2010) and had pretty decent luck. In October of that year I burned miles/$$ and scored RT upgrades both ways DCA->DFW->HNL. Not so much for some DFW->FRA trips but I had plenty of EXP company in exit seats on those trips because even the SWUs did not work given the drop from 3 to 1 FRA daily flights.

You should do OK, but I don't have much experience with travel originating in BOS on business-dense time windows. There are plenty of EXPs around DCA or going back via ORD or DFW but when I was PLT I did pretty well. Maybe 50%, but I was pretty happy with that.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 7:57 pm

50% is pretty good, I guess that would be worthwhile, and I have some destinations I'd like to visit anyways!
Old Jul 10, 2013, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by Pinned
Read up on how AA prioritizes the upgrade list and think about your personal booking patterns. I just took a look at my 2013 YTD, and I'm 3/38 as a PLT in LAX (this doesn't take into account that some of those 38 segments were on aircraft without F). My upgrade success is so low because 90% of my travel is booked 2-3 days out (due to the unpredictability of my job). In fact I've NEVER been upgraded on a flight I was taking for work (the 3 segments I got this year were personal travel booked at least a month out). As a gold medallion on DL, I had about 50% success because they use fare codes to determine priority within a status level - which I was usually in a high fare bucket.

That said, last year I made the decision to do a MR to get back into PLT because 1) I wanted higher standby priority(something I have to do quite frequently because of my job) 2) Lounge access for when I travel internationally in Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.