Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Expanded / additional MileSAAver award & upgrade availability for EXP (consolidated)

Old May 2, 2013, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
"Expanded Award Seating Availability (from Executive Platinum Guide)

As an AAdvantage Executive Platinum member, you have exclusive access to additional MileSAAver award seating availability through AAdvantage Reservations for travel on American Airlines, American Eagle and AmericanConnection flights for you and one companion (must travel with you on the same itinerary - JD). While this is not a guarantee of available seating, it does provide more flexibility when you are traveling on a MileSAAver award."

NOTE: This expanded EXP availability is not guaranteed and may vary on different flights. It is not available during peak travel periods. In recent years this benefit appears diminished.

Please see archived older posts from this thread here.

Print Wikipost

Expanded / additional MileSAAver award & upgrade availability for EXP (consolidated)

Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Just to report more data points.

I called to ask about the upgrade chance for ORD-NRT and NRT-ORD. EF shows outbound ORD-NRT c0, but the agent told me that 2 seats were available for EXP. The return was shown by EF as c3, but the agents told me that 5 upgrade seats were available.

So, it looks like the expanded availability for EXP eVIP upgrades can be at least 2 above the current level.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Unlike some of the experiences I read about in this thread I made my first attempt to ask about this and found out there were these limitations on this benefit:

1. I cannot access any expanded availability for family or friends unless I am traveling on the exact same itinerary as them.
2. I have to pay a $25 telephone ticketing fee for any tickets I book from my account where I am not traveling on the exact same itinerary. (I was automatically charged this as an EP without being told so until I asked why the charge was larger than I expected).
3. On peak travel dates there will be no expanded award availability (whatever those are).

Anyone find out where this stuff is published?
Old Feb 9, 2012, 3:22 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by GrizShel
Unlike some of the experiences I read about in this thread I made my first attempt to ask about this and found out there were these limitations on this benefit:

1. I cannot access any expanded availability for family or friends unless I am traveling on the exact same itinerary as them.
2. I have to pay a $25 telephone ticketing fee for any tickets I book from my account where I am not traveling on the exact same itinerary. (I was automatically charged this as an EP without being told so until I asked why the charge was larger than I expected).
3. On peak travel dates there will be no expanded award availability (whatever those are).

I'm not sure if I've seen it explicitly written anywhere on AA.com, but #1 and #2 are widely known here.
Edit: Well, sort of. The "at least one segment" part posted below was not known by me

#1 certainly makes sense as this is a benefit for EXP and not "EXP and friends."

For #2, telephone fees are due when the EXP is not traveling, as always. One can put things on hold, call to have modifications done and put back on hold, then book online to avoid this. Doesn't always work.

As for #3, it certainly makes sense that they would not provide expanded inventory at peak times.

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; Feb 9, 2012 at 3:38 pm
Old Feb 9, 2012, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

#2 isn't true. In my experience, an EXP does not need to travel on the exact same itinerary to have ticketing fee waived. All that matter is that they share at least one segment. You can have completely separate reservations and the fees will be waived, so long as an EXP is traveling on a shared segment.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 3:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton

OK,

#1 True, and expanded SAAver availability is limited to two seats.
#2 Not completely true. Agents are derelict in reading their updates. As long as the EXP and companion share at least one segment, there is no $25 ticketing fee for the companion.
#3 While the system may be programmed to not release expanded availability on peak dates (will try to confirm this info), a request can be made to Revenue Management. I've had success going this route.

I believe #1 is published, while #2 and #3 are not.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, FPC PLT, Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond
Originally Posted by ckpeter
Just to report more data points.

I called to ask about the upgrade chance for ORD-NRT and NRT-ORD. EF shows outbound ORD-NRT c0, but the agent told me that 2 seats were available for EXP. The return was shown by EF as c3, but the agents told me that 5 upgrade seats were available.

So, it looks like the expanded availability for EXP eVIP upgrades can be at least 2 above the current level.
I had similar experience when booking JFK-LHR, when EF showing C2, yet the EXP agent was able to get me 3 seats in C. We are all EXP, though.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 7:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by 1stClassFamily
I had similar experience when booking JFK-LHR, when EF showing C2, yet the EXP agent was able to get me 3 seats in C. We are all EXP, though.
Everyone being EXP didn't really play a role. All the agent needs is one person's EXP number for the system to show the expanded availability.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, FPC PLT, Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond
Originally Posted by sukn
Everyone being EXP didn't really play a role. All the agent needs is one person's EXP number for the system to show the expanded availability.
Good to know that!
Old Feb 11, 2012, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by brp
I'm not sure if I've seen it explicitly written anywhere on AA.com, but #1 and #2 are widely known here.
Edit: Well, sort of. The "at least one segment" part posted below was not known by me

#1 certainly makes sense as this is a benefit for EXP and not "EXP and friends."
I was referring to booking tickets for someone out of my own account. I actually wouldn't have even thought of the idea to not allow me expanded availability for booking tickets with my miles for family friends except that I've already run into a similar policy with Delta (certainly never had such an issue in my years with NW). Still I was expecting AA to be better than Delta in this area (like they are in so many other areas of their program benefits), but alas I guess they aren't. To me it makes a lot of sense to have such a benefit because it makes most EXPs really happy to be able to book tickets for their family - they typically have a hard time using all of the miles they accumulate on their own travel.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:28 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Just booked a Dublin trip for late April/early May. Expert Flyer showed C2 DUB-ORD on the way home, but C0 for ORD-DUB on the way there. Called in to upgrade with systemwides and the agent immediately cleared both international flights, though I find myself waitlisted on one segment SFO-ORD which is unusual. Suspect that will clear over the coming weeks. It's not a weekend flight so hopefully I'm not competing with the mileage runners out there on the promo that runs through June for that route.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by tom911
Just booked a Dublin trip for late April/early May. Expert Flyer showed C2 DUB-ORD on the way home, but C0 for ORD-DUB on the way there. Called in to upgrade with systemwides and the agent immediately cleared both international flights, though I find myself waitlisted on one segment SFO-ORD which is unusual. Suspect that will clear over the coming weeks. It's not a weekend flight so hopefully I'm not competing with the mileage runners out there on the promo that runs through June for that route.
Since you're on a SWU you'll clear into a different inventory bucket (A I think) and not T-100>0 Hour X inventory. One time I've had a SWU not clear on a domestic route. Turns out First class was sold out and there were no cancellations. Happens but I bet you do OK on this one, lots of time.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, TSA PreCheck
I was able to obtain an expanded inventory seat today, 1st time ever, while calling in to apply a Citibank Reduced Mileage Award on a held itinerary. That itin wasn't an ideal routing (extra AE segment) so I explained my travel plans, that I've not had any luck before but since I had to call in for the Citibank booking anyway could she please take a look for expanded T inventory. Of the three more direct flights I'd hoped for the last one worked out and a T seat was there for me! EF shows all classes are at 7 or more on all three flights but the seat map for the one I was able to get on was the most open. I know, seat maps are not a great data point, just sharing it for what it's worth, not that much

EF showed T0 before and after the transaction on that flight.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 7:25 am
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Rules for Expanded EXP Availability

A discussion started in another thread about who gets Expanded EXP Award Availability.

Since that thread looks like a typical "My EXP upgrade /SWU has not cleared and there is J available" thread, I thought thought some of the more authoritative posters would not participate, so I am starting a separate thread.

(From EXP Guide)
Expanded Award Seating Availability
As an AAdvantage Executive Platinum member, you have exclusive access to additional MileSAAver award seating availability through AAdvantage Reservations for travel on American Airlines, American Eagle and AmericanConnection flights for you and one companion. While this is not a guarantee of available seating, it does
provide more flexibility when you are traveling on a MileSAAver award.

Is EXP expanded award availability for 1 travelling companion, or one person from EXP's account?

Does it have to be same PNR?

THANKS
Old Apr 9, 2012, 7:37 am

Programs: AA EXP 6+ MM, AC, DL (MM) & LT SC; All Airlines 10+MM, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by alhcfp
...Is EXP expanded award availability for 1 travelling companion, or one person from EXP's account?

THANKS
With C0 availability showing on Expert Flyer I called up the EXP desk for a business class upgrade to Europe for my wife using my eVIPs and was told there was one available for her (she was traveling alone) because the upgrade instrument was coming out of my EXP account.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alhcfp
Is EXP expanded award availability for 1 travelling companion, or one person from EXP's account?

In my experience, the expanded availability is not limited to one traveling companion, the recipient need not be the EXP nor is there any requirement that it be on the same PNR, as I posted there:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18357956-post15.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.