FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Expanded / additional MileSAAver award & upgrade availability for EXP (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/854667-expanded-additional-milesaaver-award-upgrade-availability-exp-consolidated.html)

Science Goy Apr 9, 2012 9:10 am

Originally Posted by FWAAA (Post 18359740)
In my experience, the expanded availability is not limited to one traveling companion, the recipient need not be the EXP nor is there any requirement that it be on the same PNR, as I posted there:

Interesting, because when I asked about expanded EXP MileSAAver inventory for a family member (booked with my miles), the agent said it wasn't possible since he wasn't traveling with me. Wouldn't be the first time an AAgent was wrong, of course, but this was the EXP desk.

Ord Liza Apr 9, 2012 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Science Goy (Post 18359768)
Interesting, because when I asked about expanded EXP MileSAAver inventory for a family member (booked with my miles), the agent said it wasn't possible since he wasn't traveling with me. Wouldn't be the first time an AAgent was wrong, of course, but this was the EXP desk.

I got the same answer. The explanation was "How would you feel if you wanted the seat for yourself and it wasn't available because it had been given to some EXP's friend or family member?" Personally, I'd be okay with that if it meant I also had the ability to get the seats for my friends and family sometimes.

FWAAA Apr 9, 2012 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Science Goy (Post 18359768)

The things of which we can be certain are that AA has not published for our consumption any rule that limits the expanded availability to just the EXP or traveling companions or any limit on the expanded availability.

There may be some internal rules by which AA is hiding the ball from EXPs - but my default setting is not to ascribe evil if there's a more benign explanation. Sounds like an agent making things up, just like when agents invoke the imaginary "no backtracking" rule for SWU use (like denying MIA-DFW-LHR).

sukn Apr 9, 2012 10:13 am

Originally Posted by FWAAA (Post 18359865)
The things of which we can be certain are that AA has not published for our consumption any rule that limits the expanded availability to just the EXP or traveling companions or any limit on the expanded availability.

There may be some internal rules by which AA is hiding the ball from EXPs - but my default setting is not to ascribe evil if there's a more benign explanation. Sounds like an agent making things up, just like when agents invoke the imaginary "no backtracking" rule for SWU use (like denying MIA-DFW-LHR).

Actually the rule is that the EXP must be traveling in order to access the expanded inventory. It is the rule.

Of course that does not stop an agent from ignoring the rule and doing the EXP a favor. All they have to do is input the EXP's AAdvantage number to access the inventory. From there, there are no fail-safes built into the system that would prevent the agent from using the expanded inventory without the EXP being in the PNR.

clanum Jul 31, 2012 5:59 pm

If the rule is that the EXP must be traveling, does that mean that the miles don't necessarily need to come from the EXP's account? I'm looking for expanded milesaaver availability for myself (EXP) and my wife (GLD) - where each of us would use the miles from our own accounts. Would that work, or would the system prevent us from using her miles for her ticket if the seat was only available to EXPs?

ESpen36 Jul 31, 2012 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by clanum (Post 19036691)
If the rule is that the EXP must be traveling, does that mean that the miles don't necessarily need to come from the EXP's account? I'm looking for expanded milesaaver availability for myself (EXP) and my wife (GLD) - where each of us would use the miles from our own accounts. Would that work, or would the system prevent us from using her miles for her ticket if the seat was only available to EXPs?

Yes, I believe that is correct. When you speak with an agent to help you hunt around for award inventory, the agent grabs the inventory first, and THEN asks you which account you want to use for the miles (and to assess any applicable fees). The inventory and ticketing processes are separate. In fact, I have had many agents say things like "okay, let's just finish up ticketing and then I'll go back over to the reservation screen to assign your seats."

sukn Jul 31, 2012 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by clanum (Post 19036691)

The EXPs AAdvantage number is used to access the expanded inventory but miles can certainly come from another account.

clockhand Feb 2, 2013 11:37 am

sorry about digging up an old thread.

has anybody had any success/luck with this benefit? just made my account matched to EXP using United 1K. perfect timing as I am planning on several award trips on AA.

I tried for several routes - NRT-SFO (with connecting through various cities), JFK-SFO, etc. and it seems like every single flight I tried that I hope they have an available seat under SAAver (that I don't see open on aa.com), an agent said she doesn't see it available either.

Does this "benefit" even exist??

I asked for "expanded award availability for EXP" and the agent explained "we can over-book revenue ticket for EXP but we can't overbook award tickets"

Then, I said, "I understand but I thought there are additional SAAver award seats reserved for EXP." And she goes, "I am searching with your status. This is what I can see."

Any experience would be appreciated.

brp Feb 2, 2013 11:40 am

Originally Posted by clockhand (Post 20172660)
s

Does this "benefit" even exist??

Yes, it does. It just doesn't happen to exist on your flights, It is not common, but it is real. Same with expanded SWU availability.

Cheers.

clockhand Feb 2, 2013 12:11 pm

glad to hear it does exist.

is there any way to monitor that "special" seat? i.e., is there any particular class to those seats? i didn't see anything special on expertflyer.

Mark_T Feb 2, 2013 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by clockhand (Post 20172833)
is there any way to monitor that "special" seat? i.e., is there any particular class to those seats? i didn't see anything special on expertflyer.

No, it is only available via an AAgent, no way to look for it or monitor it yourself.

SFO_FT Mar 11, 2013 3:13 pm

When trying to locate expanded C inventory, does one need to ticket the res first and then request .... or can I, as an EXPLT, ask the agent to see if C is avail even if EF shows it not avail. Said another way, does the agent, when looking for C space, need to have an EXPLT PNR built first ... or can the see the expanded avail without a PNR. I've tried learning if C would be avail but have done this in the absence of having a res -- don't want to book unless the space is there! I guess I could book/ticket, then call, then cancel w/in 24h, but have been too lazy to try this!

ckpeter Mar 11, 2013 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by SFO_FT (Post 20402025)
When trying to locate expanded C inventory, does one need to ticket the res first and then request .... or can I, as an EXPLT, ask the agent to see if C is avail even if EF shows it not avail. Said another way, does the agent, when looking for C space, need to have an EXPLT PNR built first ... or can the see the expanded avail without a PNR. I've tried learning if C would be avail but have done this in the absence of having a res -- don't want to book unless the space is there! I guess I could book/ticket, then call, then cancel w/in 24h, but have been too lazy to try this!

The expanded availability for EXP does not need a ticketed reservation. Usually, the agent will ask you (the EXP) if you are traveling, and tell you what the availability would be. This expanded availability is also available to companions (when above 1).

sukn Mar 11, 2013 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by SFO_FT (Post 20402025)

Agent needs to input an EXP's AAdvantage number in order to see the expanded availability. You don't need an existing PNR to do it.

saltytheseagull Mar 11, 2013 8:39 pm

Doesn't this only apply to sAAver award tickets, not C?

Edit: Or by C does he mean J?