Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How to Reactivate / Restore / Reinstate Expired Miles – Reengagement Challenge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2014, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Reengagement Challenge / Challenges to Reinstate / Restore Expired Miles

Some consolidated info about the American Airlines Reengagment Challenge.

NOTE: It appears AA has implemented significant miles reinstatement policy changes as of May, 2019.

1) You may reinstate your miles only within eighteen months after your miles expired because off account inactivity.

2) We know you can pay a fee to do this, but we don’t know at this time if there are still other ways to “re-engage” in some of the ways discussed below.
The Re-engagement Challenge offers you several options to restore all or part of your expired miles that expired in the past five years, based on your level of participation.

You have to call in to the AAdvantage Customer Service desk to register for this unpublished benefit

What you have to do:
  1. Subscribe and remain subscribed to receive AAdvantage Account Summary and AAdvantage Promotions emails
  2. For under 50000 miles
    1. Earn 5,000 partner base miles*
      OR
    2. Earn miles for 1 round trip flight**
  3. For 50,001-75,000 Expired Miles
    1. Earn 7,000 partner base miles*
      AND
    2. Earn miles for 1 round trip flight**
  4. For 75,001 or More Expired Miles
    1. Earn 10,000 partner base miles*
      AND
    2. Earn miles for 2 round trip flight**

You can restore part of your balance, then choose to continue on and restore the rest by completing the additional mileage earning activities.

*Partner miles include anything that doesn't involve flying listed under the earn miles section of American's page, however you only earn miles at the published rates as bonus miles (such as the AA Citi Sign up offer do not count).

Based on my questions to the AA desk, transfers of SPG points don't count either.

** Purchase a ticket and fly round trip on American Airlines, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, or Qantas flight numbers (codeshares marketed by these carriers but operated by others are also eligible), earning miles in your AAdvantage account. You may mix outbound and return carriers.

Here US Airways also counts as American.

Note: AA has more recently offered reinstatement of lost / expired AAdvantage miles by charging a fee (post by myguess1 was an offer to reinstate 84,000 expired miles for $600.00).
Print Wikipost

How to Reactivate / Restore / Reinstate Expired Miles – Reengagement Challenge

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2010, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA ex-Plat
this may be old news, but seems to be an alternative to an official reengagement challenge, albeit not necessarily the most cost-effective way to get miles reactivated. i can't remember how exactly i came across this link, but was searching for something else at the time ...

http://www.aa.com/viewPromotionDetai...eaactivate.xml
Old Jul 25, 2010, 10:03 pm

I had two accounts one with 58,000 miles expired and the other with 4,000.

I participated in the re-engagement challenge and then consolidated my accounts while on the phone with the same representative and to my surprise both accounts' expired miles were re-posted to my merged account!
Old Sep 20, 2010, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by btwayland
this may be old news, but seems to be an alternative to an official reengagement challenge, albeit not necessarily the most cost-effective way to get miles reactivated. i can't remember how exactly i came across this link, but was searching for something else at the time ...

http://www.aa.com/viewPromotionDetai...eaactivate.xml
This has in fact been around for a while. It's in the Wiki here. This is the only way to reactivate lost miles that is officially published by AA.

The interest in the re-engagement challenge, an unpublished but apparently standard offer, is to avoid the high (some might say extortionate, given that one has already paid to earn the miles and it doesn't cost AA a thing to reinstate them) fees associated with the reactivation program.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 5:06 pm

Reengagement Challenge -- What to do?

I have been an AAdvantage member since 1991, but have not been flying American on a regular basis. I received an e-mail that my accumulated miles would expire in October due to inactivity. Since about 22K worth of miles expired years ago, I decided to be pro-active and see what could be done to re-instate the miles if I wasn't able to fly by the expiration date.

I called AAdvantage and spoke with one of the customer service reps and he told me about the Reengagement Challenge. While we were discussing the challenge, I asked about my previously expired miles and he said that "yes, those could be reinstated if I met the terms".

The customer service rep enrolled me in the challange and followed up with a nice e-mail and a PDF attachment with the terms of the challenge. If I flew a 750 mile (or longer) round trip, my miles would be reinstated.

I was able to book a flight from BOS->SFO the following weekend and the week after my flight, the miles for the flights were added to my AAdvantage account. I checked back two weeks later and the expired miles in my account had still not posted.

Yesterday, I called AAdvantage and was told that my 22K expired miles would not be re-instated because they expired too long ago. This directly contradicted what the original customer service rep had told me. Had I known that the miles would not be reinstated, I would not have gone out of my way to book a flight on American.

I was referred to a manager on my call-back and she was very sympathetic, but assured me that it must have been a misunderstanding and offered to add 10K miles to my account. I reminded her that I had been assured that 22K would be reinstated and she said that they couldn't be reinstated, but I could talk to "an executive".

An "executive" at AAdvantage called me today and told me that the expired mileage couldn't be reinstated, but she would credit my account with *5K* miles. I told her that the manager I spoke with the previous day had offered *10K* miles and I had previously been told that all of my 22K expired miles would be reinstated.

While I'm not the most frequent traveller, I do fly from New England to the Bay Area every month or so on other airlines. I would think American would be interested in picking up additional business travelers, but after this incident, I will probably avoid flying American in the future.

What would you do?
Old Nov 13, 2010, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by gjjohnson

What would you do?
I wouldn't have let the miles expire in the first place.

That said, I can only offer 20/20 hindsight.
Lack of evidence of an agreement = no agreement

The next time you get involved in somthing like this, ask for them to send you an email confirming the specific offer, including the number of miles involved. I suspect this won't happen to you again, but this important for others who might read this. In many jurisdictions, recording phone calls is not legal unless both parties consent. I have never asked an AA agent if I could record the conversation, but I suspect the answer might be in the negative. However, I have had them send me email confirming things. You mentioned whether or not AA cared about your business. Look at it another way. You've already let miles expire twice. If the first time was a long time ago, that could hae been 3 years of inactivity for just that time. So, you have had 2 periods of inactivity totalling more than 3 to 4 1/ 2years. It's not like there is a proven record of committment to the program for at least many years, and you seemed to have indicated you only took the latest flight to get your miles back.
You could always sue, but I think it might be less of a hassle to buy the reistatement for the 17K (22K-5k offer) miles, if possible Yes, you can be right and still lose. One question, would you have done the reinstatement trip if it only included the latest miles and not the prior 22K?
Old Nov 13, 2010, 9:38 pm

True, I should not have let them lapse. . .

I didn't expect them to offer to reinstate the older miles when I made the first phone call -- it seemed like a very generous offer at the time.

I probably wouldn't have booked a cross-country flight on American without the offer. Had they followed through, I would probably be more likely to book additional flights on AA, but as it is, I will probably stick with Delta or the Star Alliance carriers where I have the bulk of my miles.

I'd never consider recording a conversation on a subject like this -- it's just not that important. I certainly wouldn't think of trying to sue.

On the other hand, I'm far less likely to consider them for a future flight.

Originally Posted by mvoight
I wouldn't have let the miles expire in the first place.

That said, I can only offer 20/20 hindsight.
Lack of evidence of an agreement = no agreement

The next time you get involved in somthing like this, ask for them to send you an email confirming the specific offer, including the number of miles involved. I suspect this won't happen to you again, but this important for others who might read this. In many jurisdictions, recording phone calls is not legal unless both parties consent. I have never asked an AA agent if I could record the conversation, but I suspect the answer might be in the negative. However, I have had them send me email confirming things. You mentioned whether or not AA cared about your business. Look at it another way. You've already let miles expire twice. If the first time was a long time ago, that could hae been 3 years of inactivity for just that time. So, you have had 2 periods of inactivity totalling more than 3 to 4 1/ 2years. It's not like there is a proven record of committment to the program for at least many years, and you seemed to have indicated you only took the latest flight to get your miles back.
You could always sue, but I think it might be less of a hassle to buy the reistatement for the 17K (22K-5k offer) miles, if possible Yes, you can be right and still lose. One question, would you have done the reinstatement trip if it only included the latest miles and not the prior 22K?
Old Nov 13, 2010, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
An "executive" at AAdvantage called me today and told me that the expired mileage couldn't be reinstated, but she would credit my account with *5K* miles. I told her that the manager I spoke with the previous day had offered *10K* miles and I had previously been told that all of my 22K expired miles would be reinstated.

What would you do?
22K--->10K--->5K. I know what I wouldn't do. I wouldn't call back again.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 11:37 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles, AA, CX Asia Miles, United MileagePlus, HHonors
I have been an AAdvantage member since 1991, but have not been flying American on a regular basis. I received an e-mail that my accumulated miles would expire in October due to inactivity. Since about 22K worth of miles expired years ago, I decided to be pro-active and see what could be done to re-instate the miles if I wasn't able to fly by the expiration date.

I called AAdvantage and spoke with one of the customer service reps and he told me about the Reengagement Challenge. While we were discussing the challenge, I asked about my previously expired miles and he said that "yes, those could be reinstated if I met the terms".

The customer service rep enrolled me in the challange and followed up with a nice e-mail and a PDF attachment with the terms of the challenge. If I flew a 750 mile (or longer) round trip, my miles would be reinstated.

I was able to book a flight from BOS->SFO the following weekend and the week after my flight, the miles for the flights were added to my AAdvantage account. I checked back two weeks later and the expired miles in my account had still not posted.

Yesterday, I called AAdvantage and was told that my 22K expired miles would not be re-instated because they expired too long ago. This directly contradicted what the original customer service rep had told me. Had I known that the miles would not be reinstated, I would not have gone out of my way to book a flight on American.

I was referred to a manager on my call-back and she was very sympathetic, but assured me that it must have been a misunderstanding and offered to add 10K miles to my account. I reminded her that I had been assured that 22K would be reinstated and she said that they couldn't be reinstated, but I could talk to "an executive".

While I'm not the most frequent traveller, I do fly from New England to the Bay Area every month or so on other airlines. I would think American would be interested in picking up additional business travelers, but after this incident, I will probably avoid flying American in the future.

What would you do?
How many years ago did those 22K miles expire?
Old Nov 21, 2010, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by ALadyNCal
I am signing up a family member to do this challenge. We got a similar email and sadly it is 10K miles, not 5K miles The CC offer was also not on the list. Even MORE frustrating is that they just did a RT flight, but it was only 436 miles each way (not the required 750+)

Will have to see how I can scrape together the 10K miles on their behalf....
I have been tediously working on this since April. Just a week ago I was able to email AA and say I had accumulated 10K miles. By this point, half of the expired miles had automatically posted. After they received my email, they re-activated the remainder.

As my family member lives outside the U.S., couldn't do the credit card, and wouldn't have a qualifying flight post in the six month window -- I have accumulated these miles very slowly

One of my biggest disappointments was Netflix. I signed up a new account for the 4K bonus and after three months and several emails it was rejected because other people at the same address are Netflix members

Anyway, the 79K miles are back. I have gotten it up to 92K at this point. Once I get it to 100K, my job is done. They can get their RT business class ticket to visit next spring

Bottom line, you CAN get your miles back ^
Old Dec 2, 2010, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, FB Silver, Krysflier, Hertz #1 Gold, A|Club Silver
Restoring Your Expired Miles / Re-Engagement Program

Asked for the details of the reengagement program that I was proposed alongside the challenge, here it is:

Here’s the Info You Requested on Restoring Your Expired Miles:

We’re delighted that you wish to re-engage in the AAdvantage® program, and encourage you to keep up your progress. You are already opted in to the AAdvantage® eSummarySM email and the AAdvantage® Promotions email. The first requirement is to remain subscribed to these two programs for the duration of your challenge. These emails not only provide opportunities to earn bonus miles but also give you a monthly reminder of the date on which your mileage balance is set to expire.

For additional requirements, please refer to the chart below to automatically restore some or all of the miles that expired from your account:

Level 1: Up to 50,000 Miles
Choose 1 of the following:
  • Earn 5,000 miles from 3 different partners
    OR
  • Fly 1 roundtrip on AA or any oneworld carrier and earn at least 750 base miles each way
Level 2: Up to 200,000 Miles
1. Satisfy Level 1 to get 50,000 miles restored
2. If you satisfied Level 1 with Partner Mileage, then you must add another 5,000 miles from 3 different partners, making a total of 10,000 miles earned
OR
3. If you satisfied Level 1 with a qualifying flight, then you’re all set and you’ve also satisfied Level 2!

Level 3: More than 200,000 Miles
1. Satisfy Level 2 to get a total of 200,000 miles restored
2. Add either:
  • An additional roundtrip on AA or a oneworld carrier, earning at least 750 base miles each way – making a total of two roundtrips
    OR
  • An additional 10,000 miles from 3 different partners, making a total of 20,000 miles earned
The All-Important Details:
  • Only miles that expired on or after December 31, 2002 are eligible to be restored.
  • Partner Mileage Requirement: Earn a minimum of 5,000, 10,000 or 20,000 AAdvantage miles by using the products or services of at least 3 AAdvantage partners. For suggestions, visit the nifty Web site at aadvantageconnections.com. Or visit AA.com® for a complete list of partners and see how easy it is to stay active and retain your mileage balance. The only miles that will not count toward this requirement are any miles received through the shareAAmiles® program or the reactivateAAmilesSM program or through Customer Service
  • American Airlines or oneworld Flight Requirement: Purchase a ticket and fly 1 or 2 roundtrips on AA or any other oneworld carrier, earning a minimum of 750 base AAdvantage miles each way. Go to AA.com for the latest fare sales and take a business trip or treat yourself to a weekend getaway or family vacation. With our online booking tool at AA.com, it’s easy to find the price and schedule you prefer!
  • Deadline: You will have 6 months from the day you contacted us and we set up your challenge to complete all the requirements. Remember, in order to meet the challenge, you must still be opted in to receive the required emails, and all qualifying activity must have posted to your account
  • Approximately 7 – 12 days after you’ve met the requirements for each level, we will automatically restore the applicable expired miles to your account and send you a confirmation email. That’s when you’ll know the miles are back in your account and ready for use!

Finally, keep in mind that anytime you need to use some of your expired miles quickly, the fastest way to get them restored is with the reactivateAAmiles program. For more information on the cost, validity period and procedures, please visit our reactivateAAmiles page on AA.com.

Even though your miles have expired we hope this unique opportunity helps to reward you for becoming active once again. We want you to make the most of your membership, and we are always available to help.

Last edited by bearaway; Dec 2, 2010 at 3:06 pm Reason: Typo
Old Dec 3, 2010, 12:10 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by bearaway
Asked for the details of the reengagement program that I was proposed alongside the challenge, here it is:
Thanks for posting the details, bearaway! I've moved your post over from the general Challenge Help Desk to this thread that is dedicated to Reengagement Challenges.

/Moderator
Old Dec 18, 2010, 4:45 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Thanks so much for posting this. I had no idea i could get my expired miles back (for free) until I read this post.
You've made my weekend
Old Mar 25, 2011, 1:58 am

Is the re-engagement challenge option still in place? All links redirect to the fee-associated page for me.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 4:57 pm

Just called the AAdvantage desk and enrolled in the re-engagement program as well as the the Platinum challenge.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond,
Just called and they enrolled me in the Reengagement challenge. Linda was EXCELLENT; went over all the steps and even gave suggestions on how to look back 1 year to hotels and car rentals to get credit along with flight lookbacks.

reviewed donation sites (National Foundation for Cancer Research) and Credit Card to keep activated in the future; especially with the little ones who's miles expire relatively easily.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.