Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How to Reactivate / Restore / Reinstate Expired Miles – Reengagement Challenge

How to Reactivate / Restore / Reinstate Expired Miles – Reengagement Challenge

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 11, 22, 4:43 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Reengagement Challenge / Challenges to Reinstate / Restore Expired Miles

Some consolidated info about the American Airlines Reengagment Challenge.

NOTE: It appears AA has implemented significant miles reinstatement policy changes as of May, 2019.

1) You may reinstate your miles only within eighteen months after your miles expired because off account inactivity.

2) We know you can pay a fee to do this, but we don’t know at this time if there are still other ways to “re-engage” in some of the ways discussed below.
The Re-engagement Challenge offers you several options to restore all or part of your expired miles that expired in the past five years, based on your level of participation.

You have to call in to the AAdvantage Customer Service desk to register for this unpublished benefit

What you have to do:
  1. Subscribe and remain subscribed to receive AAdvantage Account Summary and AAdvantage Promotions emails
  2. For under 50000 miles
    1. Earn 5,000 partner base miles*
      OR
    2. Earn miles for 1 round trip flight**
  3. For 50,001-75,000 Expired Miles
    1. Earn 7,000 partner base miles*
      AND
    2. Earn miles for 1 round trip flight**
  4. For 75,001 or More Expired Miles
    1. Earn 10,000 partner base miles*
      AND
    2. Earn miles for 2 round trip flight**

You can restore part of your balance, then choose to continue on and restore the rest by completing the additional mileage earning activities.

*Partner miles include anything that doesn't involve flying listed under the earn miles section of American's page, however you only earn miles at the published rates as bonus miles (such as the AA Citi Sign up offer do not count).

Based on my questions to the AA desk, transfers of SPG points don't count either.

** Purchase a ticket and fly round trip on American Airlines, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, or Qantas flight numbers (codeshares marketed by these carriers but operated by others are also eligible), earning miles in your AAdvantage account. You may mix outbound and return carriers.

Here US Airways also counts as American.

Note: AA has more recently offered reinstatement of lost / expired AAdvantage miles by charging a fee (post by myguess1 was an offer to reinstate 84,000 expired miles for $600.00).
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 7, 18, 9:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
100,000 AA miles is worth putting in some effort & cost to recover.
If you can't find a cheap flight ex BWI I doubt anyone else here on FT can.
Not hard to search for flights. Wikipedia BWI.
What about from other airports in the area? DCA IAD

Main thread here How to Reactivate / Restore Expired Miles – Reengagement Challenge (consolidated)

And Prevent AA miles / account from expiring / expiration & use other than flying
Or PHL just up the road.
Old Apr 8, 18, 12:12 am

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/AUA/MIA/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
$137 roundtrip to Indianapolis, same day turn through CLT. https://www.google.com/flights/?f=0#...BWI0AA703;a=AA
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 8, 18, 8:36 am

Programs: N/A (kid =! no travel :( )
Originally Posted by platbrownguy View Post
$137 roundtrip to Indianapolis, same day turn through CLT. https://www.google.com/flights/?f=0#...BWI0AA703;a=AA

Thanks for the search, we are just limited with it having to be a same day turn on a saturday or sunday due to work. IAD would in theory be possible so I will check that. My wife understands the value of the miles but when you look at the breakdown of $60 for two challenges, drive time to airport (1.5 to 2 hours RT), parking, 8-`12 hours potential flight and layover time, and $260-300 she does not see the benefit compared to straight up paying $650 to refund the miles. Sadly when I list it all out I am starting to see it her way as well, I hate the idea of spending the straight cash but I also don't see much difference between doing two challenges.

I think we are going to wait until we are just about 4 years out and see if we just need to pay for the miles back or if we have arranged to fly AA without being a specific day turn.
Old May 17, 19, 1:42 pm

Re-engagement Offer - thoughts

I let my 11 year old child's miles expire. He had about 15K. My fault entirely. My wife and I have about 400K miles combined - those we have a lot of activity with Credit Cards.

We don't travel much these days on anything except basic economy, so I see the value mainly as a OW domestic free flight. We will take a flight soon that will earn about 4.5K miles. The offer was $150 to get the miles back, or $100 and a flight in the next 6 months. We'd qualify for that.

It seems like a 50:50 toss up on re-engagement or not for me. $100 for a OW domestic flight and 2500 extra miles seems to be just a fair value.

Anything I'm missing? Additional thoughts and opinions? Any other action I can take?
Old Apr 11, 22, 1:44 pm

Expired miles

So I understand miles expire but due to covid then multiple heart surgeries my travels were limited. I spoke with AAdvantage and then booked a flight on 11th. My date for expiring was 7th. I was assured it was ok by airline then I show up and all my miles are gone and they want money to reactivate.
I call AA and they say call AmericanAirlines customer support and vice versa. Then the website constantly pulls you into automation and I can’t seem to get help. Again I get they expire but I called and thought I worked with the airline about this and am a bit bummed. It wasn’t allot like my United account that has worked with me but I would like to be heard. Can anyone point me to the right place
Old Apr 11, 22, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
About the only thing you can do is call AAdvantage Customer Service (not the normal reservations number) and plead your case. 1-800-882-8880.
Old Apr 11, 22, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
About the only thing you can do is call AAdvantage Customer Service (not the normal reservations number) and plead your case. 1-800-882-8880.

lol. They literally say call customer relations who says call AAdvantage. It’s a viscous circle. If they ever get me to my destination I’ll call again. Planes keep breaking
Old Apr 11, 22, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
The main reason sponsors let loyalty points expire is accounting. If there are, say, a billion miles in accounts that have been inactive for years, the accountants will make them carry a liabiilty of a billion times some value per mile, because they still COULD be used. It's not like Sister Mary Elephant rapping your knuckles with a rules because you were 3 seconds late coming back from recess.

At the same time it's a good lesson. It's so easy to keep miles active. Go to the shopping portal (for really any loyalty program) and buy a box of cookies from Walmart. Or find a restuarant in the dining program, go in, and buy a soft drink.
Old Apr 11, 22, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Sanewalt View Post
lol. They literally say call customer relations who says call AAdvantage. It’s a viscous circle. If they ever get me to my destination I’ll call again. Planes keep breaking
There is not a phone number for Customer Relations that I'm aware of, so that suggestion is bogus on their part. HUCA is about the only thing you can do now.
Sanewalt likes this.
Old Apr 11, 22, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I can't seem to find when my miles expire when i look today. was there last week saying nov 2022
Old Apr 11, 22, 2:31 pm

Redtop

Redtop I am Not sure you read my post. Because I stated I worked with them on this and then poof. I could not go anywhere because we have been in the hospital but thanks so much for the education
Old Apr 11, 22, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Sanewalt View Post
Redtop I am Not sure you read my post. Because I stated I worked with them on this and then poof. I could not go anywhere because we have been in the hospital but thanks so much for the education
I think his point is that you can extend your miles without going anywhere. Although of course you had others things to worry about.

Unfortunately the agent gave you incorrect information about your miles not expiring due to your booked ticket. The only thing that extends miles is mileage activity. You could have gone to the shopping portal and bought a $2 coupon from restaurants.com (that's exactly what I did a few years ago to keep my miles active).

I would push AA to honor what the agent told you and waive the reinstatement fee. Talk to a supervisor and ask them to pull the call logs if they have to.
TWA884 and Sanewalt like this.
Old Apr 11, 22, 2:58 pm

I'm in the same boat. With the pandemic I lost track, and just saw that my old-earned miles had expired on April 1st. Here's an email form and address I found for Customer Relations.
Sanewalt likes this.
Old Apr 11, 22, 3:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by redtop43 View Post
The main reason sponsors let loyalty points expire is accounting. If there are, say, a billion miles in accounts that have been inactive for years, the accountants will make them carry a liability of a billion times some value per mile, because they still COULD be used. It's not like Sister Mary Elephant rapping your knuckles with a rules because you were 3 seconds late coming back from recess.
Though this isn't an issue with any of the other major US airlines other than Alaska.
hhdl likes this.
Old Apr 11, 22, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by redtop43 View Post
The main reason sponsors let loyalty points expire is accounting. If there are, say, a billion miles in accounts that have been inactive for years, the accountants will make them carry a liabiilty of a billion times some value per mile, because they still COULD be used.
Not true. The accountants take breakage into account and develop an algorithm whereby the liability gets reduced to zero for long-outstanding miles.

That's for miles. Loyalty points expire automatically; there is no carryover.
Microwave likes this.

Search this Thread