Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How to Reactivate / Restore / Reinstate Expired Miles – Reengagement Challenge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2014, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Reengagement Challenge / Challenges to Reinstate / Restore Expired Miles

Some consolidated info about the American Airlines Reengagment Challenge.

NOTE: It appears AA has implemented significant miles reinstatement policy changes as of May, 2019.

1) You may reinstate your miles only within eighteen months after your miles expired because off account inactivity.

2) We know you can pay a fee to do this, but we don’t know at this time if there are still other ways to “re-engage” in some of the ways discussed below.
The Re-engagement Challenge offers you several options to restore all or part of your expired miles that expired in the past five years, based on your level of participation.

You have to call in to the AAdvantage Customer Service desk to register for this unpublished benefit

What you have to do:
  1. Subscribe and remain subscribed to receive AAdvantage Account Summary and AAdvantage Promotions emails
  2. For under 50000 miles
    1. Earn 5,000 partner base miles*
      OR
    2. Earn miles for 1 round trip flight**
  3. For 50,001-75,000 Expired Miles
    1. Earn 7,000 partner base miles*
      AND
    2. Earn miles for 1 round trip flight**
  4. For 75,001 or More Expired Miles
    1. Earn 10,000 partner base miles*
      AND
    2. Earn miles for 2 round trip flight**

You can restore part of your balance, then choose to continue on and restore the rest by completing the additional mileage earning activities.

*Partner miles include anything that doesn't involve flying listed under the earn miles section of American's page, however you only earn miles at the published rates as bonus miles (such as the AA Citi Sign up offer do not count).

Based on my questions to the AA desk, transfers of SPG points don't count either.

** Purchase a ticket and fly round trip on American Airlines, British Airways, Finnair, Iberia, Japan Airlines, or Qantas flight numbers (codeshares marketed by these carriers but operated by others are also eligible), earning miles in your AAdvantage account. You may mix outbound and return carriers.

Here US Airways also counts as American.

Note: AA has more recently offered reinstatement of lost / expired AAdvantage miles by charging a fee (post by myguess1 was an offer to reinstate 84,000 expired miles for $600.00).
Print Wikipost

How to Reactivate / Restore / Reinstate Expired Miles – Reengagement Challenge

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: Alaska, Marriott
Originally Posted by arollins
I would suggest doing each program individually.
Thank you! I don't know if US offers such a program (customer service told me there's no way to do it after 36 months), but I will work on AA first.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: Alaska, Marriott
Update: this only applies to miles expired within the past 5 years now. Sadly I just passed that threshold (5 yrs + a few months), so I was told that I could only reactivate by paying $200.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 4:29 am

Programs: AA Gold/OneWorld Ruby
I have about 35,000 expired AA miles (I don't fly OW airlines very often, being mostly a *A person), but I have a flight on US coming up at the end of the month, round trip BOS-LAS, via PHL, which should be about 4900 miles. They expired back in 2011, when I wasn't using AwardWallet (now I know better).

Can I use this upcoming US flight to recover my expired miles via the re-engagement challenge assuming I credit it to AAdvantage? Will I need an additional ~100 miles of flying in the re-engagement period to qualify, or will this one round-trip on US suffice?
Old Dec 1, 2014, 9:02 am

Reactivate expired AAdvantage Miles

Need your help:
I recently lost 84,000 miles due to 18 month in activities. I called the customer services and they asked to pay $600 to reactivate. I think it is too much. Miles were expired on OCT 15 2014.

I recently flew New York to India (using spouse AA miles) with partner’s airline
I opened a new CITY AA Credit Card (15 Days ago)

Now what is the best way to reactivate them.

Thanks.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:31 am

Expired AAdvantage miles

My wife's 30k AA miles expired October 31 2014. Are there any cheap way to reinstate those miles?
thanks a lot
Old Apr 22, 2015, 2:43 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by aiurforever
My wife's 30k AA miles expired October 31 2014. Are there any cheap way to reinstate those miles?
thanks a lot
You can reinstate them for $200, which may not meet the definition of "cheap": https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...vate-miles.jsp

Did you have any activity in the past 12 months for which she failed to get credit? That's probably the only chance at something cheaper.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jridge
You can reinstate them for $200, which may not meet the definition of "cheap": https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...vate-miles.jsp

Did you have any activity in the past 12 months for which she failed to get credit? That's probably the only chance at something cheaper.
I personally think 1.5 miles per cent is a great value.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 7:07 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Posted by vishalgupta22: M&M peanuts have half life shorter than radioactive uranium...
But, Twinkies are close (U-235 T 1/2 = 710,000,000 years; U-238 T 1/2 = 4,510,000,000 years - about the age of the Earth).

Now, to the topic, the buy-back may make sense to you ($200 for 30,000 miles), but your definition of "cheap" might be different from mine. If it were I, I would go for it.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 7:29 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
I would just apply for an AA Credit card and get 50,000 miles..., but if you did not use them they are not worth a dime,

Too much trash in the closet,
Old Apr 22, 2015, 9:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by relangford
But, Twinkies are close (U-235 T 1/2 = 710,000,000 years; U-238 T 1/2 = 4,510,000,000 years - about the age of the Earth).

Originally Posted by relangford
Now, to the topic, the buy-back may make sense to you ($200 for 30,000 miles), but your definition of "cheap" might be different from mine. If it were I, I would go for it.
I ain't sure if you mean it's a good value or not.

I take it this way, 25000 miles is a round trip ticket in coach in NA. Unless a person was going to use the miles for something like BOS-PHL-BOS, you can't get a round trip in NA for under 212$
Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:06 pm

Programs: Chase Ultimate, Amex, Delta, AA, BA Avios, United, US Airways, Marriott, Hilton
Only one workaround I know!!!

You have to have rented a rental car in the past year...and you need to not have been a loyalty member for their brand.

You register and ask for your points to be credited to AA. Then you ask for missing points on past bookings.

you get points for car rental that you completed but didn't get points for in the time frame you need.

They will post to your AA acct. Then you call and talk to AA rep showing them the date of car rental.

This may or may not work. I know this from hearing from a friend who heard. But I believe this may be your only other bet.

Good luck. And report back if it works.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 11:45 pm

Programs: Ritz-Carlton Gold, Hyatt Plat, AAdvantage Gold, SPG Gold
You can do a re-engagement challenge for $30 for up to 50k miles if you have a round trip coming up or some other simple criteria I forget.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: UA 1k
Hi everybody -- I did this reengagement challenge back in 2013 and it worked wonderfully. There was a $30 fee too.

Is this still an active promotion? I have been a good boy but my girlfriend had 35k miles expire a few years ago, and this challenge sounds way better than paying $200...
Has anybody done this challenge recently? I'd rather not spend an hour on hold with AA just to ask this question.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 9:40 pm

Expired Miles Reinstatement alternative options

So I made a costly boo boo.
One of my family members accounts miles expired in October 2015.
Account had 140k miles which were rolled over from dividend miles.
I dropped the ball bc my moms account was in the same situation and I always just checked it and assumed the activity and expiration were the same. I was wrong bc mom had a dining purchase that pushed out her date.
Per the website they will reinstate the miles for $600 (ouch).
Any luck with other options?
I thought I read that signing up for the credit card will reinstate them which would be a very easy option.
These were all rolled over from dividend miles.
I contacted Alamo about posting miles from a 2014 rental. (Long shot)

I can't believe I did this I feel like an idiot!

Any help is appreciated
Old Mar 6, 2016, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
I'm pretty sure cc will not reinstate miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.