Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Guide: NRT / Tokyo Narita International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Note: NRT is near Narita, Chiba Prefecture, 37 mi / 60 km / 1 hr+ from Tokyo

Link to aa.com Tokyo Narita International Airport information
Link to NRT official website
Link to NRT Admirals Club information on aa.com
Link to FlyerTalk NRT oneworld lounges master thread

American Airlines, Japan Airlines and all oneworld airlines operate from NRT Terminal 2.

Link to page with detailed NRT Terminal 2 floor maps

AA NRT Terminal 2 arrivals and departures map
International arrivals to Terminal 2 process (if the satellite terminal, proceed to Terminal 2):
  • Quarantine
  • Immigration
  • Baggage claim
  • Animal and plant quarantine
  • Customs inspection
  • Landside arrivals lobby

NRT Terminal 2 floor map
NRT Connection Times
Minimum Connection Times (MCT) were 110 or more minutes. 2008 consolidation of one world flights into Terminal 2 changed that. Today, American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, Japan Airlines, LATAM, Malaysia Airlines, Qantas Airways, Qatar Airways, Sri Lankan Airlines, S7 and are all homed in Terminal 2, so one world says MCT is:

• From JL domestic flights to JL and AA international services: 60 minutes.
• From American to JL international: 70 minutes.
• AA international to JL domestic is: 90 minutes.
• JL domestic arrivals to departures by other oneworld partners: 100 minutes.

International arrivals T-2 to International connection
  • 1. After deplaning, please follow the "International Transfer" terminal signs.
  • 2. Baggage and security checks are carried out for security reasons.
  • Present your boarding pass or airline ticket and place your carry-on luggage on the x-ray scanner to be screened.
  • Each passenger must pass individually through the metal detector gate for security inspection.
  • Click here for further information regarding security checks.
Restaurant and Showers for Arriving Passengers
  • Transit passengers connecting between international flights can use “Traveler's Lounge Rassurants” free of charge (as compared with 50% discount in 2014).
    They also qualify for a 50% discount on the use of showers (Continued from 2014):
  • Adults (13 years or older) : 500 yen (Tax included)
  • Standard charge 1,030 yen (Tax included)
  • *Showers only before passport control area.
  • Please present documentation (e.g. ticket or boarding pass) for your connecting flight at the reception counter of the respective facilities to receive these benefits smoothly.

Transit within Terminal 2:
  • Check your flight time and boarding gate on your boarding pass or a flight information board.
  • Follow the directions to the departure gate shown on the terminal displays. Please make sure you arrive at the boarding gate with plenty of time to spare.
  • Be aware that sudden changes can occur and pay attention to announcements and check flight information displays.

* If you do not have a boarding pass, please show your air ticket and passport at the transit counter.

For departures from Terminals 1, 3 or domestic departures , see here.

Link to domestic connections or connections to HND / Tokyo Haneda Airport.
Link to aa.com Tokyo destination guide
Link to Mike Newman's Narita Layover Guide
Print Wikipost

AA Guide: NRT / Tokyo Narita International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2008, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Arrow AA Guide: NRT / Tokyo Narita International Airport - MCT, Connection, etc.

I'm doing a transpacific route soon with a connection in NRT from AA to JL.

It looks like the connection is "illegal", ie below the minimum connecting time. My connecting time is exactly 60 minutes which based on my own experience seems pretty reasonable for both airlines being in terminal 2. (I will not be checking bags)

Am I wrong to think 60 minutes is enough?
What is the actual minimum connecting time?
How does one find minimum connecting times for a given airport? (I searched FT, AA.com, jal.com and narita web site)

The JAL flight is not an AA codeshare. I did online check-in and seat assignment for the JAL flight. There did not appear to be an option to print my boarding pass from the internet. Will it be easy to get my boarding pass for the connection at NRT?

Thanks.
Old May 30, 2008, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
I'm going to assume that you are asking for an AA-JL international connection rather than an AA-JL domestic transfer.

Before, I would've said 60 min is definitely not enough with the hassle of going through NRT immigration control, going back up to the 1st floor lobby and checking in to a continuing flight.

But that was before NRT implemented airside transfers earlier this year - good move, I wish more US international gateways implemented this.

With the new airside check-in procedures, one can now easily connect to an onward international flight with much less hassle than before.

You can read more about NRT's transfer procedures here:
http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guid...ect/index.html
(The Japanese sure are good at using visuals to explain things!)

So IMHO, 60 min should be more than enough based on my experience. However, whether or not to take that chance is up to you as you may never know whether your inbound AA flight will be delayed or not. Hence while it is much more easier to do now with new airside transfer procedures, I'd still will leave at least a 1.5~2 hr window just in case.
Old May 30, 2008, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
My airside international transfer at NRT (AA to JL) last week took less than 15 minutes, point to point (including deplaning, going to the transfer desk, through security, and taking the train to the main terminal from the satellite). And that included a bathroom stop.

Its seriously a piece of cake compared to what it used to be. In my experience if things are tight/delayed, JL will usually have ground staff waiting for you on the jetbridge so look for them holding a sign with your flight number. Its quite funny to watch their girls, usually decked out in high heels, running through the airport with a couple of bewildered Americans behind them. My experience is that they have always tried their best to get me on board my onward flight.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 30, 2008, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I've actually made the airside transfer a few weeks ago on another itinerary but with with AA codeshare as the connecting flight. That's why I'm reasonably confident I can make the connection. AA gave me the BP at check-in in the US. Yes this is transfer to an international flight on JL leaving from Terminal 2.
Old May 30, 2008, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by cordata
Thanks, I've actually made the airside transfer a few weeks ago on another itinerary but with with AA codeshare as the connecting flight. That's why I'm reasonably confident I can make the connection. AA gave me the BP at check-in in the US. Yes this is transfer to an international flight on JL leaving from Terminal 2.
Actually, if you bought this ticket as a single itinerary AA will print out the boarding pass for the onward JL flight regardless if its a codeshare or not. So you AA-JL transfer at NRT should be a piece of cake. Happy travels
Old Apr 28, 2009, 10:24 pm

Legal minimum transfer time NRT T2 JL to AA

Anybody know what the current minimum tranfer flight times are for JL to AA at T2 NRT. JL to JL is now listed as one hour. Could not find a JL to AA referance.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 12:02 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
It depends on the inbound JL flight and whether it is domestic or international.

Last edited by JerryFF; Apr 29, 2009 at 12:08 am
Old Apr 29, 2009, 1:44 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
CX to AA and AA to CX are both 60 minutes. A CX agent read me the rule previously that connections between Oneworld carriers in the same terminal at NRT require 60 minutes. I see no reason why connections to/from JL would be any different (on international flights), but if in doubt, a quick call to AA reservations will yield the answer.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 2:39 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: JAL Global Club, One World Sapphire, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
I'm assuming the OP is connecting to a flight back to the US but for those with short connecting times on flights from North America, quarantine procedures are in effect:

https://www.jal.co.jp/en/other/info2009_0429.html

I was on JL 61 LAX-NRT yesterday, the procedures kept us on the plane an extra 30 minutes.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I've connected through NRT many times en route to/from the U.S. from/to Singapore or Australia. Usually it's like clockwork, but sometimes it isn't. If that happens to you, go to any uniformed airport staff member (typically well-groomed young men and women in suits and white gloves,not hard to spot) and show them your boarding pass, or some other documentation, with flight number and departure time. If your experience is like mine, they'll take you to the front of the lines and rush you through to get you where you're going by the time you have to be there.

I have yet to miss a flight at NRT in either direction, despite late arrivals and backups at security. This includes several connections back when AA and JAL were in different terminals - once the airport staffer had to order a special van to take me across to the other one!
Old Apr 29, 2009, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JL-AA domestic to international 1:00 terminal 2 - 2
JL-AA international to international 1:10 terminal 2 - 2
Old Apr 29, 2009, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by hillrider
JL-AA domestic to international 1:00 terminal 2 - 2
JL-AA international to international 1:10 terminal 2 - 2
My ? was JL International to AA to USA
Why would International be longer then domestic, where you have to clear immigration?

JL flight from ICN arrives at 3PM
AA flight to LAX leaves at 4PM

U would think at some point the Oneworld connections would get lined up.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 9:21 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: JAL Global Club, One World Sapphire, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold
You should be fine, just as long as your JL flight is on time. The only potential bottlenecks would be security and maybe having to take the train between the main and satellite terminals. It usually takes me no more than 15-20 minutes to get back up to the departure level but YMMV.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 8:03 am

Programs: AA
My friend recently returned to Narita from SFO and he said that there were a lot of delays due to screening for swine flu. I imagine that it would be the same for any flight arriving to Narita...so if even if you are not entering Japan, the same procedure would still apply if you are transiting. Anyone else confirm?
Old Aug 29, 2009, 12:42 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
oneworld transfer at NRT

I've booked my mom on AA JFK-NRT, then returning JL FUK-NRT connecting to AA NRT-JFK. This is all on the same PNR, booked via Expedia, but the reservation doesn't indicate codesharing. Is it safe to assume that she'll be able to through-check herself and her bags at FUK?

Also, it looks like JL and AA are in the same Terminal at NRT. Is it a pretty easy connection? She has 2:20, so I'm not worried about timing, more that she somehow gets lost.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.