Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earning AA AAdvantage Miles /LPs on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 11, 2015, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Earning Elite Qualifying Miles and Dollars, and Award Miles Flying on Cathay Pacific Airways
including earning on upgraded flights, flights between YVR and JFK
link to page on aa.com.

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Cathay Pacific marketed and operated flights as well as Cathay Pacific codeshare flights operated by oneworld® carriers and affiliates:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket in an eligible booking code
  • Fly an eligible route

On most flights marketed by partner airlines, you earn award miles based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket. Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable.KNOWN ISSUES
  • Economy fares other than Y, B or H on CX do not earn AAdvantage miles
  • B and H only earn fractional (75%) credit on AA
  • Upgrades purchased with CX miles may book into ineligible fare classes, causing challenges getting AA to credit the originally purchased fare class (see below)
  • there are a few fare classes that CX says do not earn AAdvantage miles, whereas aa.com says they will, as do members reporting their experiences here
  • JFK-YVR and YVR-JFK do accrue EQ and miles on eligible fares. JFK-YVR-HKG accrues as if nonstop JFK-HKG.
  • Premium Economy fare W on Cathay Pacific will earn an additional 10% class of service bonus with the exception of W fares between Hong Kong and Bangkok, which will not earn a class of service bonus, and Premium Economy R or E, which earn no class of service bonus.

AAdvantage Elite members members traveling on Cathay also enjoy:
Additional elite status bonus miles

If you fly CX as an AA codeshare / marketed flight, you will earn as if you were flying on AA.

Cathay Pacific marketed (“codeshare”) flights must be operated by a oneworld® or affiliate airline to earn AAdvantage miles. The ticketing or selling carrier or agent is immaterial to earnings.

It is always advised to try to assure your AA Frequent Flyer Number is on your boarding passes, and we always advise retaining your boarding passes (or take screen shots of e-boarding passes) until your instruments have all posted.

Upgrading to First on Cathay Pacific Airways and U, Z Fare Class Issues

Upgrading a paid Business fare to First on Cathay Pacific Airways puts the flight into fare class "Z", a class that is ineligible for AAdvantage miles accrual (as reflected on the accrual chart) because it is also an award classification for a First Class award.

Upgrading a paid Premium Economy fare to Business puts it into U class, another award fare class that earns no AA miles.

Members have recently reported success at having their upgrades acknowledged as accruing miles, but it may require persistence.

Originally Posted by BosTravel
I had the same issue. I upgraded from Biz to F using Asia Miles, but left my AA number in the reservation.

The outbound flight credited automatically without intervention.

The inbound flight did not credit and I submitted the Missing Mileage Request. That request got denied due to ineligible fare class. All I did was call the ExecPlat desk and ask for AAdvantage Customer Service, who had record of the denied claim. I explained I paid for Biz, upgraded to F, and provided them with my original ticket number (both ticker numbers were on CX stock). Call took about 5 minutes and miles (and EQM/EQP) posted to the account the next day.
and

Originally Posted by gohima
I just wanted to post the conclusion to my saga, that started with the brilliant idea to upgrade two CX flights in February (yes, 4 months ago).

Well, I Fedex'd a letter to the executive's office, which arrived Friday. Today, I received an email from an "executive liason" who said they agreed that "R" to "U" via an upgrade should be mileage earning and manually adjusted my account to receive credit. Account and status now reflects those flights.

So despite certain aagents and lower-level SUPs saying this is CX's problem and to go pound sand, AA actually can do something about it (albit at a higher level than a regular SUP, I assume). By the phrasing of the answer, I would say this isn't a one time exception but rather what is supposed to happen for these flights.

Godspeed to any other souls on this journey.
Possible snail mail or FedEx to:

Sean Bentel
Vice President -- Customer and Relations
4333 Amon Carter Blvd
Fort Worth, TX 76155
Thanks to nkedel.

Also see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-partners.html

Link to archive of older posts
Print Wikipost

Earning AA AAdvantage Miles /LPs on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2018, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
I'm looking to be confirmed that flights I've booked with Cathay Pacific (CX) have flight numbers that correspondent to American Airline (AA) flights for proper crediting when using an AA # for crediting.

When I've checked on AA.com for info, my CX flights aren't displayed. (I'm based in SFO but flights are directing me to DFW vs. the CX flights to HKG then to ICN). When I check via EF, I get the CX flight numbers only that correspond to the flight details I've booked with CX directly.

Below is the info I have thus far:

CX0873 SFO-HKG
CX0438 HKG-ICN
CX0415 ICN-HKG
CX0870 HKG-SFO

Any info/tips offered are much appreciated.

Thanks
Doesn't matter. Whatever's printed on your BP, either "CX XXXX" or "SOLD AS AA XXXX", will be credited to your AAdvantage account. As mentioned above, the former goes with CX chart while the latter goes as if it were an AA flight.

If you are talking about trying to book an CX-operated flight on aa.com, note that 1)some of the flights are not code-shared, as mentioned above; 2)aa.com sometimes does not show other partners' flights, even if it's an AA code share. The multi-city search tool is better at getting partner ticket (still, AA could ticket a CX flight number, which will be earned according to CX chart, so it would be the same as booking direct with CX).
Old May 9, 2018, 5:23 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Well that's a bummer that the HKG-ICN-HKG legs won't earn me AA credits. Hmmm! Maybe I just need to start a CX account sooner than later. Looks like I'm going to be a frequent flyer to HKG and ICN in the not so distant future.

The mere idea of flying SFO-DFW-ICN (option via AA.com) just didn't make sense to me and the cost was not worth it to say the least. It's bad enough to that I'm becoming use to SFO-LAX-HKG. I always smirk when watching the flight map when we fly past SFO. Once inbound for LAX, ATC held the flight in a loop as we circled just off the coast of Monterrey. I was Secretely praying we'd be forced to land at SFO! I was over the flight at that point!
Old May 9, 2018, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Well that's a bummer that the HKG-ICN-HKG legs won't earn me AA credits. Hmmm! Maybe I just need to start a CX account sooner than later. Looks like I'm going to be a frequent flyer to HKG and ICN in the not so distant future.

The mere idea of flying SFO-DFW-ICN (option via AA.com) just didn't make sense to me and the cost was not worth it to say the least. It's bad enough to that I'm becoming use to SFO-LAX-HKG. I always smirk when watching the flight map when we fly past SFO. Once inbound for LAX, ATC held the flight in a loop as we circled just off the coast of Monterrey. I was Secretely praying we'd be forced to land at SFO! I was over the flight at that point!
If your Y cabin for the HKG-ICN seg is H fare or above, you will still earn AA credits. H is usually the default fare type for a PEY multi-leg booking when the PEY is available for LH but no PEY cabin for the SH. Unfortunately, other than booking a higher fare directly with CX, AA.com isn't a way to get around with it.

Off topic: MPC has its pros and cons, but I think the cons outweighs if you are not based in HKG. Based on my quite limited travel to HKG (3-4 times per year) I could still qualify for Gold (600 tier points, same travel could yield AA EXP), but other than FL access, I don't see too much value in it at this moment.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: AA PPRO
Help with validating EQM (CX flights, to merge)

Does this look right? Flights were booked on a CX PNR, EQD exceeded expectations but some of these EQM credits seem light. Specifically BKK-HKG (525EQM) on March 2. LAX-MIA (1171EQM), and Feb 25 MIA-JFK (525EQM). Are these wrong, or am I missing something?

Cant get png image to show, sorry
Old May 9, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Cathay only gives 50% EQMs per mile and 15% EQDs per mile on their B, H fare tickets, only full Y gets 100% EQMs. Cheaper tickets do not earn any AA miles at all, so I'd say those look about right.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ay-pacific.jsp
Old May 9, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Les Anderson
Does this look right? Flights were booked on a CX PNR, EQD exceeded expectations but some of these EQM credits seem light. Specifically BKK-HKG (525EQM) on March 2. LAX-MIA (1171EQM), and Feb 25 MIA-JFK (525EQM). Are these wrong, or am I missing something?

Cant get png image to show, sorry
Sounds just about right if you were booked on B or H fares on CX and crediting to AA (https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ay-pacific.jsp)
Old May 9, 2018, 8:10 am

~500 EQM BKK-HKG seems about right for H fare.

For the AA legs, looks like a 0.5 multiplier was used. Are these two legs basic economy fare?
Old May 9, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: AA PPRO
I wasn't looking closely enough. I booked E, and expected 100% on the AA metal legs but it is clearly listed as H and not Y.

Thanks for your help
Old May 9, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Since you had a CX flight number on the AA legs, that's why the earning go over the CX chart. The same flights would have been 100% EQM if booked with an AA flight number.
Old May 9, 2018, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Les Anderson
I wasn't looking closely enough. I booked E, and expected 100% on the AA metal legs but it is clearly listed as H and not Y.

Thanks for your help
Because there is no PEY (E fare) on these legs you were mentioning. Check back the email confirmation, where fare codes were provided by CX.
Old May 9, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
If your Y cabin for the HKG-ICN seg is H fare or above, you will still earn AA credits. H is usually the default fare type for a PEY multi-leg booking when the PEY is available for LH but no PEY cabin for the SH. Unfortunately, other than booking a higher fare directly with CX, AA.com isn't a way to get around with it.

Off topic: MPC has its pros and cons, but I think the cons outweighs if you are not based in HKG. Based on my quite limited travel to HKG (3-4 times per year) I could still qualify for Gold (600 tier points, same travel could yield AA EXP), but other than FL access, I don't see too much value in it at this moment.
Good... Fare class wise, I'm good... Booked directly with CX to experience it.

And so true about joining MPC... It just might not add up to be in my favor either... But at the moment, I'm heading to HKG at least every 4-6 weeks until maybe the end of 2018. It would be a short lived love affair indeed.
Old May 11, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: HH Diamond - Marriott Titanium- AA EP
Booking CX but want to get credit on AAdvantage

Hello all,

Question: How do i book a CX ticket on the CX website to ensure the EQMs, EQDs, RDMs get posted to my AAadvantage account?

I never booked CX flight on their website before (haven’t even created sign-on user credentials). The flight that I have coming up next month (PHX-LAX-HKG-BKK-HKG-LAX-PHX) was booked on AA website and the HKG leg is operated by Cathy Pacific. Since I booked on AA website I will earn based on AA earnings chart which totals 17,649 EQMs and $1311 EQDs. I am not going to change this upcoming flight and will travel as planned.

I will travel to BKK again later this year (October) and would like to “beef” up my EQDs to obtain EXP status on AA. From reading the forums on FlyerTalk, it appears that I will earn more EQDs by booking straight through Cathy’s Pacific website (CX flight #) and after reviewing One World partner (Cathay Pacific) earnings chart on AA website, it appears that the booking class i’m looking to book (E) which is premium economy will earn a total of $3,323.60 EQDs (16,618 total miles from LAX-HKG-BKK-HKG-LAX * 20%). The total cost for this fair is $1,416.41

If what i'm understanding and my math is correct, is $2.35 considered decent?
Old May 11, 2018, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
It doesn't matter whether you book on the AA site or the CX site, the EQD, EQS, EQMs, RDM are determined by the carrier listed on your ticket.
For example, if you fly on CX plane, but ticketed under an AA flight number, you will earn credit as if it was an AA flight.
Old May 11, 2018, 11:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by A651346
Hello all,

Question: How do i book a CX ticket on the CX website to ensure the EQMs, EQDs, RDMs get posted to my AAadvantage account?

I never booked CX flight on their website before (haven’t even created sign-on user credentials). The flight that I have coming up next month (PHX-LAX-HKG-BKK-HKG-LAX-PHX) was booked on AA website and the HKG leg is operated by Cathy Pacific. Since I booked on AA website I will earn based on AA earnings chart which totals 17,649 EQMs and $1311 EQDs. I am not going to change this upcoming flight and will travel as planned.

I will travel to BKK again later this year (October) and would like to “beef” up my EQDs to obtain EXP status on AA. From reading the forums on FlyerTalk, it appears that I will earn more EQDs by booking straight through Cathy’s Pacific website (CX flight #) and after reviewing One World partner (Cathay Pacific) earnings chart on AA website, it appears that the booking class i’m looking to book (E) which is premium economy will earn a total of $3,323.60 EQDs (16,618 total miles from LAX-HKG-BKK-HKG-LAX * 20%). The total cost for this fair is $1,416.41

If what i'm understanding and my math is correct, is $2.35 considered decent?
Please read the Wikipost at the top of the page.

Where you book the fare is immaterial, though practically it can make a difference for changes, etc. E is kind of the sweet spot.
Old May 11, 2018, 11:35 pm

Programs: HH Diamond - Marriott Titanium- AA EP
Originally Posted by JDiver
Please read the Wikipost at the top of the page.

Where you book the fare is immaterial, though practically it can make a difference for changes, etc. E is kind of the sweet spot.
Thank you for the reply. How do I ensure that i get my AAdvantage number on my itinerary when buying a CX ticket on Cathy Pacific's site?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.