Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earning AA AAdvantage Miles /LPs on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 11, 2015, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Earning Elite Qualifying Miles and Dollars, and Award Miles Flying on Cathay Pacific Airways
including earning on upgraded flights, flights between YVR and JFK
link to page on aa.com.

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Cathay Pacific marketed and operated flights as well as Cathay Pacific codeshare flights operated by oneworld® carriers and affiliates:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket in an eligible booking code
  • Fly an eligible route

On most flights marketed by partner airlines, you earn award miles based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket. Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable.KNOWN ISSUES
  • Economy fares other than Y, B or H on CX do not earn AAdvantage miles
  • B and H only earn fractional (75%) credit on AA
  • Upgrades purchased with CX miles may book into ineligible fare classes, causing challenges getting AA to credit the originally purchased fare class (see below)
  • there are a few fare classes that CX says do not earn AAdvantage miles, whereas aa.com says they will, as do members reporting their experiences here
  • JFK-YVR and YVR-JFK do accrue EQ and miles on eligible fares. JFK-YVR-HKG accrues as if nonstop JFK-HKG.
  • Premium Economy fare W on Cathay Pacific will earn an additional 10% class of service bonus with the exception of W fares between Hong Kong and Bangkok, which will not earn a class of service bonus, and Premium Economy R or E, which earn no class of service bonus.

AAdvantage Elite members members traveling on Cathay also enjoy:
Additional elite status bonus miles

If you fly CX as an AA codeshare / marketed flight, you will earn as if you were flying on AA.

Cathay Pacific marketed (“codeshare”) flights must be operated by a oneworld® or affiliate airline to earn AAdvantage miles. The ticketing or selling carrier or agent is immaterial to earnings.

It is always advised to try to assure your AA Frequent Flyer Number is on your boarding passes, and we always advise retaining your boarding passes (or take screen shots of e-boarding passes) until your instruments have all posted.

Upgrading to First on Cathay Pacific Airways and U, Z Fare Class Issues

Upgrading a paid Business fare to First on Cathay Pacific Airways puts the flight into fare class "Z", a class that is ineligible for AAdvantage miles accrual (as reflected on the accrual chart) because it is also an award classification for a First Class award.

Upgrading a paid Premium Economy fare to Business puts it into U class, another award fare class that earns no AA miles.

Members have recently reported success at having their upgrades acknowledged as accruing miles, but it may require persistence.

Originally Posted by BosTravel
I had the same issue. I upgraded from Biz to F using Asia Miles, but left my AA number in the reservation.

The outbound flight credited automatically without intervention.

The inbound flight did not credit and I submitted the Missing Mileage Request. That request got denied due to ineligible fare class. All I did was call the ExecPlat desk and ask for AAdvantage Customer Service, who had record of the denied claim. I explained I paid for Biz, upgraded to F, and provided them with my original ticket number (both ticker numbers were on CX stock). Call took about 5 minutes and miles (and EQM/EQP) posted to the account the next day.
and

Originally Posted by gohima
I just wanted to post the conclusion to my saga, that started with the brilliant idea to upgrade two CX flights in February (yes, 4 months ago).

Well, I Fedex'd a letter to the executive's office, which arrived Friday. Today, I received an email from an "executive liason" who said they agreed that "R" to "U" via an upgrade should be mileage earning and manually adjusted my account to receive credit. Account and status now reflects those flights.

So despite certain aagents and lower-level SUPs saying this is CX's problem and to go pound sand, AA actually can do something about it (albit at a higher level than a regular SUP, I assume). By the phrasing of the answer, I would say this isn't a one time exception but rather what is supposed to happen for these flights.

Godspeed to any other souls on this journey.
Possible snail mail or FedEx to:

Sean Bentel
Vice President -- Customer and Relations
4333 Amon Carter Blvd
Fort Worth, TX 76155
Thanks to nkedel.

Also see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-partners.html

Link to archive of older posts
Print Wikipost

Earning AA AAdvantage Miles /LPs on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2019, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Yea, CX was never included in the 2019 partner earning updates (wouldn't that be nice!). Most everything but the most expensive economy fares and up still don't earn any miles with AA.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
AAdvantage Earnings on CX JFK -> YVR

I’m looking at American’s chart for CX and I see that the only flights eligible for mileage earnings are flights to/from/within Asia. Is this correct or a typographical error? Can I get miles for JFK -> YVR?
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by donotblink
I’m looking at American’s chart for CX and I see that the only flights eligible for mileage earnings are flights to/from/within Asia. Is this correct or a typographical error? Can I get miles for JFK -> YVR?
Yea.. Looks like the Canada to US doesn't earn miles.... Interesting...
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by donotblink
Can I get miles for JFK -> YVR?
Yes.

Source: Been there done that.
donotblink likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:00 am

I flew JFK-HKG with stop in YVR. I received miles as if that was direct JFK-HKG flight, no miles on JFK-YVR segment. I was the only passenger continuing to HKG and did not have have to deplane.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by jktraveler
I flew JFK-HKG with stop in YVR. I received miles as if that was direct JFK-HKG flight, no miles on JFK-YVR segment. I was the only passenger continuing to HKG and did not have have to deplane.
That’s not the reason. Through flights using the same flight number earn as a nonstop flight. You earned as if JFK-HKG, that was to be expected. The JFK-YVR segment had nothing to do with it.

That’s long-standing AA policy. E.g. years ago, SFO-DFW <change terminals to different aircraft> DFW-ZRH (all AA 48, iirc), only accrued SFO-ZRH.

Wikipost edited to indicate JFK-YVR earns EQ, miles on eligible fares.
donotblink likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 10, 2019 at 9:30 am
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Thanks everyone for confirming, how long does posting typically take? I flew Friday night and don’t have my flight posted yet.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:52 pm

Flying around SE asia a bit in a few months, and will likely use CX for a few legs (HKG-MNL, SIN-BKK, BKK-HKG for example).

I created a basic account on CathayPacific.com but don't see an option to enter in a OW FF program (e.g., AA).

Will this pop up when actually booking tickets - or did I just miss it on the basic account page?

EDIT: Yes, it shows up when making a booking.

Last edited by smithrh; Mar 2, 2019 at 2:03 pm Reason: Tried a booking!
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Morning Calm, Marriott Plat., Hyatt Globalist
Rerouted to CX - Earning AA Miles

My original flight was a Q fare on JL with AA flight numbers (JFK-NRT-ICN), but due to delay AA rerouted me via HKG on CX. The miles for my flight did not show up automatically and my request for missing miles got denied. Called AA, the agent said that I did not get credit because they thought I was on Q for CX and re-requested credit, but I got an email saying my request is denied again for "Denied/Booking class not valid".

What is the best way of proceeding to get credits in this case? Thanks.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA,DL
Ask for original flight credit, lovexylitol.
lovexylitol likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, Morning Calm, Marriott Plat., Hyatt Globalist
Thanks, will do that.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by lovexylitol
Thanks, will do that.
Make sure you call AAdvantage Customer Service, not the normal reservations number.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Are AA miles still posted on Saturday morning?
I flew CX last Friday (arriving on Saturday) and this Monday but AA miles haven't been posted yet, so I was just wondering.
Old May 21, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
CX YVR-JFK and AAdvantage credit

How do we book this flight to get mileage credit? AA website doesnt show this flight. I want to try CX PE class.

Can miles be used to upgrAAde? Thx
Old May 21, 2019, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Book it on CX and credit it to AA.

You cannot upgrade CX flights with AA miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.