Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earning AA AAdvantage Miles /LPs on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 11, 2015, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Earning Elite Qualifying Miles and Dollars, and Award Miles Flying on Cathay Pacific Airways
including earning on upgraded flights, flights between YVR and JFK
link to page on aa.com.

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Cathay Pacific marketed and operated flights as well as Cathay Pacific codeshare flights operated by oneworld® carriers and affiliates:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket in an eligible booking code
  • Fly an eligible route

On most flights marketed by partner airlines, you earn award miles based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket. Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable.KNOWN ISSUES
  • Economy fares other than Y, B or H on CX do not earn AAdvantage miles
  • B and H only earn fractional (75%) credit on AA
  • Upgrades purchased with CX miles may book into ineligible fare classes, causing challenges getting AA to credit the originally purchased fare class (see below)
  • there are a few fare classes that CX says do not earn AAdvantage miles, whereas aa.com says they will, as do members reporting their experiences here
  • JFK-YVR and YVR-JFK do accrue EQ and miles on eligible fares. JFK-YVR-HKG accrues as if nonstop JFK-HKG.
  • Premium Economy fare W on Cathay Pacific will earn an additional 10% class of service bonus with the exception of W fares between Hong Kong and Bangkok, which will not earn a class of service bonus, and Premium Economy R or E, which earn no class of service bonus.

AAdvantage Elite members members traveling on Cathay also enjoy:
Additional elite status bonus miles

If you fly CX as an AA codeshare / marketed flight, you will earn as if you were flying on AA.

Cathay Pacific marketed (“codeshare”) flights must be operated by a oneworld® or affiliate airline to earn AAdvantage miles. The ticketing or selling carrier or agent is immaterial to earnings.

It is always advised to try to assure your AA Frequent Flyer Number is on your boarding passes, and we always advise retaining your boarding passes (or take screen shots of e-boarding passes) until your instruments have all posted.

Upgrading to First on Cathay Pacific Airways and U, Z Fare Class Issues

Upgrading a paid Business fare to First on Cathay Pacific Airways puts the flight into fare class "Z", a class that is ineligible for AAdvantage miles accrual (as reflected on the accrual chart) because it is also an award classification for a First Class award.

Upgrading a paid Premium Economy fare to Business puts it into U class, another award fare class that earns no AA miles.

Members have recently reported success at having their upgrades acknowledged as accruing miles, but it may require persistence.

Originally Posted by BosTravel
I had the same issue. I upgraded from Biz to F using Asia Miles, but left my AA number in the reservation.

The outbound flight credited automatically without intervention.

The inbound flight did not credit and I submitted the Missing Mileage Request. That request got denied due to ineligible fare class. All I did was call the ExecPlat desk and ask for AAdvantage Customer Service, who had record of the denied claim. I explained I paid for Biz, upgraded to F, and provided them with my original ticket number (both ticker numbers were on CX stock). Call took about 5 minutes and miles (and EQM/EQP) posted to the account the next day.
and

Originally Posted by gohima
I just wanted to post the conclusion to my saga, that started with the brilliant idea to upgrade two CX flights in February (yes, 4 months ago).

Well, I Fedex'd a letter to the executive's office, which arrived Friday. Today, I received an email from an "executive liason" who said they agreed that "R" to "U" via an upgrade should be mileage earning and manually adjusted my account to receive credit. Account and status now reflects those flights.

So despite certain aagents and lower-level SUPs saying this is CX's problem and to go pound sand, AA actually can do something about it (albit at a higher level than a regular SUP, I assume). By the phrasing of the answer, I would say this isn't a one time exception but rather what is supposed to happen for these flights.

Godspeed to any other souls on this journey.
Possible snail mail or FedEx to:

Sean Bentel
Vice President -- Customer and Relations
4333 Amon Carter Blvd
Fort Worth, TX 76155
Thanks to nkedel.

Also see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-partners.html

Link to archive of older posts
Print Wikipost

Earning AA AAdvantage Miles /LPs on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
A good agent will be able to fix this quickly.
I wouldn't be so sure. AA will rely on CX telling them the "original" booking class, which will probably be a non-Y/B economy class, after the downgrade and before the upgrade to business. CX has been notoriously difficult (and AA hasn't helped the situation) for passengers looking to get mileage credit on business class tickets upgraded into first class, since the upgrades are booked into "Z" inventory which is the award inventory class.

From your first post it seemed like you just submitted a missing mileage request online. Definitely call back. Don't even mention the part about getting downgraded originally, just tell them you purchased an E fare and offer to send in receipts, etc.
Ultimately, I'm not so sure obfuscating some of the (probably relevant) details will be productive. Regardless, it wouldn't surprise me if OP has to put up a fight / escalate / etc.

It's possible that asking for "original routing credit" might help push them in the right direction, even though the routing didn't change, just the class of service.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I wouldn't be so sure. AA will rely on CX telling them the "original" booking class, which will probably be a non-Y/B economy class, after the downgrade and before the upgrade to business. CX has been notoriously difficult (and AA hasn't helped the situation) for passengers looking to get mileage credit on business class tickets upgraded into first class, since the upgrades are booked into "Z" inventory which is the award inventory class.

Ultimately, I'm not so sure obfuscating some of the (probably relevant) details will be productive. Regardless, it wouldn't surprise me if OP has to put up a fight / escalate / etc.

It's possible that asking for "original routing credit" might help push them in the right direction, even though the routing didn't change, just the class of service.
The original booking class is E which is easy to show/prove with the original itinerary/receipt.

Agree on the difficulty of getting proper CX credit, however until we know the reasoning behind AA's initial denial of credit it's hard to offer any further advice to the OP.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:53 am

This was actually a manual inquiry they did that I had to do via phone as online would always give me a information mismatch error. I just got the denial this morning so will call again when customer service opens.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
The original booking class is E which is easy to show/prove with the original itinerary/receipt.

Agree on the difficulty of getting proper CX credit, however until we know the reasoning behind AA's initial denial of credit it's hard to offer any further advice to the OP.
Originally Posted by ijgordon

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Make sure you call AAdvantage Customer Service (only open ~8a-8p), NOT AA. 800-882-8880, follow the prompts (let them run all the way through, both times) to get to "You can also say Speak to an AAdvantage Customer Service Representative" then say that.
Originally Posted by dickinson
Did you receive a partial refund of the fare when the plane change was made and you went from premium economy to economy? Getting upgraded on an economy ticket wouldn't change the mileage credit eligibility.
AA just said they even saw the original booking fare and had to resubmit to Cathay... but even after she talked to supervisor said it's up to Cathay to honor the original ticket in order to qualify for AA EQM which is BS to me. Especially frustrating is that this credit is make or break it for exec plat this year.

Last edited by mastermind85; Dec 6, 2018 at 10:35 am
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, it's total BS. AA certainly could override if they want to, but the internal hurdles must be high. As I mentioned, typically people have this problem when they use CX miles to upgrade a ticket, and I think it's happened enough here (though it's probably not all that common an occurrence for pax to upgrade with AsiaMiles and earn on AAdvantage) to serve as a warning of a potential outcome -- i.e., upgrade at your own risk. In your case, the downgrade was out of your control. I suppose if you have documentation from CX suggesting that your ticket was for economy, you could take them to small claims court for the fare difference due. Then perhaps you offer to settle with them if they approve the original PE ticket to AA for mileage accrual.

Anyway, good luck. Now that this has been merged into the master CX/AA mileage earning thread, you can peruse past posts and perhaps learn more about the issue I described above with the upgrades. I don't know if there was a magic solution though, other than fighting it out with AA/CX.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by golfingboy
Just wanted to share this quick tidbit. I had an ORD-SIN trip a couple months back in Premium Economy (E fare). HKG-SIN had a last minute equipment swap and my fare class was downgraded to L coach fare which was ineligible for earning with AA. I did receive proactive operational upgrade to J but fare class remained L.

Submitted missing mileage request through AA which was rejected by CX in less than a week due to ineligible fare.

Gave AAdvantage CS a call and emailed documentations (ticket receipt, original BP, downgraded BP, etc.) and they resubmitted the request to CX with my documents. Five weeks later the missing segment posted in my account crediting me based on the original ticketed fare class.

I know CX swaps equipment willy nilly on regional routes, so if you run into a similar situation be sure to gather your documents. Getting ORC is possible.
Did you include an explanation of the situation with your documents? I'm still getting run around and twice denied and want to make sure I give everything you gave. Thanks.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:33 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by mastermind85
Did you include an explanation of the situation with your documents? I'm still getting run around and twice denied and want to make sure I give everything you gave. Thanks.
Yes I explained that I had booked premium economy and was INVOLUNTARILY downgraded to coach due to an equipment change on Cathay’s part. I had the agent clearly explain in the notes that this was an involuntary change and specifically ask to credit me for my original ticketed cabin (E fare).

I sent in my original ticket receipt, my original boarding pass (the change happened after OLCI for me), and the flight change notice email I received from Cathay that clearly shows my original itinerary and the changed/downgraded itinerary.

Keep in mind AA cannot manually post something that CX declined without any confirmation from CX. What you need to do is after getting declined call AA Advantage CS and have them process an “appeal” and manually send in a request to CX with the explanation and documents requesting credit for the original ticketed fare that wasn’t credited as result of an involuntary downgrade due to equipment change.

It will take around 5-6 weeks for CX to process the request.
mastermind85 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy
Yes I explained that I had booked premium economy and was INVOLUNTARILY downgraded to coach due to an equipment change on Cathay’s part. I had the agent clearly explain in the notes that this was an involuntary change and specifically ask to credit me for my original ticketed cabin (E fare).

I sent in my original ticket receipt, my original boarding pass (the change happened after OLCI for me), and the flight change notice email I received from Cathay that clearly shows my original itinerary and the changed/downgraded itinerary.

Keep in mind AA cannot manually post something that CX declined without any confirmation from CX. What you need to do is after getting declined call AA Advantage CS and have them process an “appeal” and manually send in a request to CX with the explanation and documents requesting credit for the original ticketed fare that wasn’t credited as result of an involuntary downgrade due to equipment change.

It will take around 5-6 weeks for CX to process the request.
Thanks for this in depth summary of the process. Will keep the thread updated with my result. I feel like your post should be put in the wiki as well.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
where will I use AA number when booing a CX flight and can I sign in with AsiaMiles?

I'm looking at booking a one way HKT>HKG>ORD (and hopefully MSP). Business class. Way cheaper booking directly with Cathay so I'd like to do that. However, that raises some questions.
I do have an AsiaMiles account number but don't really use it other than to look for flight and MR reward options. Am I better off not signng into Asia Miles account?
I really want to be sure my miles for the upcoming trip go to my AA account. Where in the interface will I specify that? or if I am signed into Asia Miles when I book, will I still have the option to change where miles are attributed?
Next, as AA Executive Platinum (and therefore Oneworld Emerald) will Cathay recognize my status for the ticketing once I enter my AA number? or during travel (such as BP/TSA/security fasttrack, lounges, standby, etc - though it would seem that I should be careful about that if I want booking codes to stay the same for AA credit). I think Cathay is part of TSA in the US now at least but will that go through to my AA flights sold by Cathay?
Finally, and a minor item for this trip, will AA recognize my status and put me on the upgrade list for flights operated by them? That last flight from ORD to MSP is a short hop so not critical

I guess the net is what are the net negatives to book this with Cathay rather than AA. I've read the thread but still some of this isn't clear

Thanks,
AJ
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:47 am

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Seems CX flights in PE not posting to AA again after 5+ days - last time it took a while for the whole process to get posted manually - or should I wait it out and see if it posts?

edit: just posted so appears it takes about 6-7 days

Last edited by fotoflyer88; Jan 19, 2019 at 8:45 am Reason: Update flight posted
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:50 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by aj411
I'm looking at booking a one way HKT>HKG>ORD (and hopefully MSP). Business class. Way cheaper booking directly with Cathay so I'd like to do that. However, that raises some questions.
I do have an AsiaMiles account number but don't really use it other than to look for flight and MR reward options. Am I better off not signng into Asia Miles account?
I really want to be sure my miles for the upcoming trip go to my AA account. Where in the interface will I specify that? or if I am signed into Asia Miles when I book, will I still have the option to change where miles are attributed?
Next, as AA Executive Platinum (and therefore Oneworld Emerald) will Cathay recognize my status for the ticketing once I enter my AA number? or during travel (such as BP/TSA/security fasttrack, lounges, standby, etc - though it would seem that I should be careful about that if I want booking codes to stay the same for AA credit). I think Cathay is part of TSA in the US now at least but will that go through to my AA flights sold by Cathay?
Finally, and a minor item for this trip, will AA recognize my status and put me on the upgrade list for flights operated by them? That last flight from ORD to MSP is a short hop so not critical

I guess the net is what are the net negatives to book this with Cathay rather than AA. I've read the thread but still some of this isn't clear

Thanks,
AJ
From personal experience, you can simply book the flight on the CX website, and it will ask for any OW FF# and allows you to select AA as an option. After that, you'll get all the benefits of an AA EXP for the flight, with the exception of TSA etc.. stuff since it has nothing to do with AA. Note: you do not have to book it as an AA codeshare (if an option) to still get all OWE benefits.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:37 am

Programs: SAS EBD, QR Platinumr, HH Gold, Intercont Platinum Ambassador,CC Gold
CX error fare and crediting to AA

Good morning,

I was lucky to lay my hands on th CX error fare ex Vietnam.
I am not sure where to credit these flights. I also have quite extensive flying with QR this year.
Is there any AA promotion at present ? I have a Star Alliance Gold (SAS Diamond), and really need to get going on Oneworld.
I was thinking BA as I will make 1600 tier points this year travelling on CX/QR but my 4 BA flights will only be completed after that.

Regards FOX
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by peterfox
Good morning,

I was lucky to lay my hands on th CX error fare ex Vietnam.
I am not sure where to credit these flights. I also have quite extensive flying with QR this year.
Is there any AA promotion at present ? I have a Star Alliance Gold (SAS Diamond), and really need to get going on Oneworld.
I was thinking BA as I will make 1600 tier points this year travelling on CX/QR but my 4 BA flights will only be completed after that.

Regards FOX
The "Deciding on a Oneworld Frequent Flyer Program? Help is Here." forum is your best bet for such advice.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
AA eqm on CX

Am I missing something or do eqms on cx not align with aa earn rates?

I thought in 2019 flying other OneWorld airlines aligned with aa earn rates but from what I can see on aa.com cx has not been updated whereas most of the other airline earn rates have

did I miss the memo where cx was included in the updated earn rate? Guessing answer is yes
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:56 pm

I think perhaps because CX is not a JBV (joint business venture)..
JDiver likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.