Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earning AA AAdvantage Miles /LPs on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)

Old Jun 11, 2015, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Earning Elite Qualifying Miles and Dollars, and Award Miles Flying on Cathay Pacific Airways
including earning on upgraded flights, flights between YVR and JFK
link to page on aa.com.

To earn AAdvantage miles when you fly on Cathay Pacific marketed and operated flights as well as Cathay Pacific codeshare flights operated by oneworld carriers and affiliates:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket in an eligible booking code
  • Fly an eligible route

On most flights marketed by partner airlines, you earn award miles based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket. Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable.KNOWN ISSUES
  • Economy fares other than Y, B or H on CX do not earn AAdvantage miles
  • B and H only earn fractional (75%) credit on AA
  • Upgrades purchased with CX miles may book into ineligible fare classes, causing challenges getting AA to credit the originally purchased fare class (see below)
  • there are a few fare classes that CX says do not earn AAdvantage miles, whereas aa.com says they will, as do members reporting their experiences here
  • JFK-YVR and YVR-JFK do accrue EQ and miles on eligible fares. JFK-YVR-HKG accrues as if nonstop JFK-HKG.
  • Premium Economy fare W on Cathay Pacific will earn an additional 10% class of service bonus with the exception of W fares between Hong Kong and Bangkok, which will not earn a class of service bonus, and Premium Economy R or E, which earn no class of service bonus.

AAdvantage Elite members members traveling on Cathay also enjoy:
Additional elite status bonus miles

If you fly CX as an AA codeshare / marketed flight, you will earn as if you were flying on AA.

Cathay Pacific marketed (codeshare) flights must be operated by a oneworld or affiliate airline to earn AAdvantage miles. The ticketing or selling carrier or agent is immaterial to earnings.

It is always advised to try to assure your AA Frequent Flyer Number is on your boarding passes, and we always advise retaining your boarding passes (or take screen shots of e-boarding passes) until your instruments have all posted.

Upgrading to First on Cathay Pacific Airways and U, Z Fare Class Issues

Upgrading a paid Business fare to First on Cathay Pacific Airways puts the flight into fare class "Z", a class that is ineligible for AAdvantage miles accrual (as reflected on the accrual chart) because it is also an award classification for a First Class award.

Upgrading a paid Premium Economy fare to Business puts it into U class, another award fare class that earns no AA miles.

Members have recently reported success at having their upgrades acknowledged as accruing miles, but it may require persistence.

Originally Posted by BosTravel
I had the same issue. I upgraded from Biz to F using Asia Miles, but left my AA number in the reservation.

The outbound flight credited automatically without intervention.

The inbound flight did not credit and I submitted the Missing Mileage Request. That request got denied due to ineligible fare class. All I did was call the ExecPlat desk and ask for AAdvantage Customer Service, who had record of the denied claim. I explained I paid for Biz, upgraded to F, and provided them with my original ticket number (both ticker numbers were on CX stock). Call took about 5 minutes and miles (and EQM/EQP) posted to the account the next day.
and

Originally Posted by gohima
I just wanted to post the conclusion to my saga, that started with the brilliant idea to upgrade two CX flights in February (yes, 4 months ago).

Well, I Fedex'd a letter to the executive's office, which arrived Friday. Today, I received an email from an "executive liason" who said they agreed that "R" to "U" via an upgrade should be mileage earning and manually adjusted my account to receive credit. Account and status now reflects those flights.

So despite certain aagents and lower-level SUPs saying this is CX's problem and to go pound sand, AA actually can do something about it (albit at a higher level than a regular SUP, I assume). By the phrasing of the answer, I would say this isn't a one time exception but rather what is supposed to happen for these flights.

Godspeed to any other souls on this journey.
Possible snail mail or FedEx to:

Sean Bentel
Vice President -- Customer and Relations
4333 Amon Carter Blvd
Fort Worth, TX 76155
Thanks to nkedel.

Also see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-partners.html

Link to archive of older posts
Print Wikipost

Earning AA AAdvantage Miles /LPs on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)

Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
SFO-HKG (E)
HKG-BNE (E)

Posted 1 week after flights, with no issues. I've put in a bid for my upcoming BNE-HKG leg, let's see how it plays out.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:09 am

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
Originally Posted by nwngeek212
SFO-HKG (E)
HKG-BNE (E)

Posted 1 week after flights, with no issues. I've put in a bid for my upcoming BNE-HKG leg, let's see how it plays out.
Sorry it might not be related to earning miles, but how to bid for the CX upgrade? Thanks!
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by Tommys888
Sorry it might not be related to earning miles, but how to bid for the CX upgrade? Thanks!
Agree. Post not really related to earning miles... But to answer your question about how to bid for upgrade, it's really easy. But first you will need to see if your route(s) are eligible to be bided upon. On the CX homepage, click on "Manage" at the top middle part of the page. Then select "upgrade bid". The rest is self explanatory. There's a whole thread about the bidding process on CX's forum. I'd suggest reading it as some think the bidding process is flawed with excessing gouging and the likes.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: AA
JFK - HKG - JFK EQMs?

Looking at booking a JFK - HKG - JFK in business and curious what ill earn in the way of EQMs. I am EXP. Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:54 am
JTK

Programs: AAdvantage EP
I took JFK-HGK-JFK in J and earned 24,210 EQM's 4,036 EQDs. The method is distance based.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by robinsondg
Looking at booking a JFK - HKG - JFK in business and curious what ill earn in the way of EQMs. I am EXP. Thanks in advance.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ay-pacific.jsp reveals any fare of Premium Economy and above, including Business and First, earn 1.5 EQM per flown mile. Flying as an Aza AA codeshare earns 2 (or even 3 for full J) EQM per mile flown.

Use Great Circle Mapper to calculate distance.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 10, 2018 at 8:50 am
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by JDiver
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ay-pacific.jsp reveals any fare of Premium Economy and above, including Business and First, earn 1.5 EQM per flown mile. Flying as an Aza codeshare earns 2 (or even 3 for full J) EQM per mile flown.

Use Great Circle Mapper to calculate distance.
Can you explain this? How does one fly as an AZA codeshare?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by robinsondg
Can you explain this? How does one fly as an AZA codeshare?
Sorry, AA codeshare. A bit of an obvious error, corrected in the post.

Now, back to serious questions...
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:27 am

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Originally Posted by SW7London
Anybody had any issues with CX flights crediting to AA in the last week or so ?

I have 4 flights in my current itinerary, first two flown mid April and credited a couple of days after the flights. My 3rd flight was flown May 1 and to date isn't appearing within my AA account.

Is it just a case of me needing to be more patient!?!!!

Curious how the crediting works between AA and CX though - is it automated and normally quite quick or it is batched up?
Have you received AA miles? What happened since then?
I also flew 4 CX flights recently. The first 2 flight (Tuesday and Wednesday) were credited on the first Saturday right after the flights, but my 3rd and 4th flights (Sunday and Monday) were not credited on the first Saturday after the flights which was two days ago.
Should I start getting worried?
The CX tickets are Business (I) class all the way. I have my AAdvantage account and don't have AsiaMiles account. AA my BPs show AA# on them, also.
I don't believe I have the middle name issue just because I don't have a middle name...
Old Aug 20, 2018, 7:21 am
jh_

Programs: AA EXP; CX SL
Originally Posted by MrJBoy
Have you received AA miles? What happened since then?
I also flew 4 CX flights recently. The first 2 flight (Tuesday and Wednesday) were credited on the first Saturday right after the flights, but my 3rd and 4th flights (Sunday and Monday) were not credited on the first Saturday after the flights which was two days ago.
Should I start getting worried?
The CX tickets are Business (I) class all the way. I have my AAdvantage account and don't have AsiaMiles account. AA my BPs show AA# on them, also.
I don't believe I have the middle name issue just because I don't have a middle name...
I've been waiting for flights from a week back to credit too (nothing on Saturday, E&H class), have my AA# on BPs too and miles haven't credited to my Marco Polo Club account by mistake...

Edit: I called up the AAdvantage Desk, sent in my boarding passes and the agent credited them for me instantly. Maybe that might work.
MrJBoy likes this.

Last edited by jh_; Aug 20, 2018 at 9:56 am Reason: New info.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by jh_
I've been waiting for flights from a week back to credit too (nothing on Saturday, E&H class), have my AA# on BPs too and miles haven't credited to my Marco Polo Club account by mistake...

Edit: I called up the AAdvantage Desk, sent in my boarding passes and the agent credited them for me instantly. Maybe that might work.
That's great!
Did you email your BPs to AAdvantage Desk after your call?
Old Aug 20, 2018, 3:49 pm
jh_

That's great!
Did you email your BPs to AAdvantage Desk after your call?
I did it during the call and the agent was instantly able to search the email up and process it for me.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by jh_

I did it during the call and the agent was instantly able to search the email up and process it for me.
Oh wow, that's quick!
I called and then the agent asked me for my tickets number.
Somehow she pulled my ticket information and requested CX missing miles. She told me it takes up to 72 hours
She didn't even tell me to send BPs...
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:43 pm
jh_

Oh wow, that's quick!
Somehow she pulled my ticket information and requested CX missing miles. She told me it takes up to 72 hours
Oh, I forgot to mention that I had already submitted a missing mileage request on the AA form online as soon as I realized it wasn't going to credit on Saturday as normal (AA's form somehow recognized my 160 tix number and didn't ask me for flight details as it always does, so I suspect my ticket was already in their system to begin with). This flight posting would bump me into the next status tier, and I mentioned that I had a flight soon (which is true) so I wanted to get it through asap. Maybe that affected my situation. Otherwise, maybe try HUCA?
MrJBoy likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by jh_

Oh, I forgot to mention that I had already submitted a missing mileage request on the AA form online as soon as I realized it wasn't going to credit on Saturday as normal (AA's form somehow recognized my 160 tix number and didn't ask me for flight details as it always does, so I suspect my ticket was already in their system to begin with). This flight posting would bump me into the next status tier, and I mentioned that I had a flight soon (which is true) so I wanted to get it through asap. Maybe that affected my situation. Otherwise, maybe try HUCA?
Note that your status will be updated in AA's system in about 3-5 business days (even if your aa.com status is up to date).

Oh wow, that's quick!
BP might not be needed sometimes. Better wait for 72 hours and call again, if nothing happens. If this Saturday morning and still nothing is posted, definitely call again next Monday.
MrJBoy and jh_ like this.

Last edited by andersonCooper; Aug 20, 2018 at 9:06 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.