Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Earning AA AAdvantage Miles on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 22, 2019, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Earning American Airlines AAvantage Miles Flying CX / Cathay Pacific Airways (consolidated)
Including known issues (e.g. upgrades) with AA / CX

Earning AAdvantage Miles flying Cathay Pacific Airways

NOTE: Travel on Cathay Pacific and its affiliate airline counts toward qualifying for AAdvantage elite status membership. However, please refer to aa.com here for fare classes that earn AAdvantage miles, not Cathay Pacific.
  • Economy / coach fares other than Y, B or H on CX do not earn AAdvantage miles

• B and H only earn fractional (75%) credit on AA

• Upgrades may book into ineligible fare classes, causing challenges getting AA to credit the originally purchased fare class

• there are a few fare classes that CX says do not earn AAdvantage miles, whereas aa.com says they will, as do members reporting their experiences here

• JFK-YVR and YVR-JFK do accrue EQ and miles on eligible fares. JFK-YVR-HKG accrues as if nonstop JFK-HKG.

AAdvantage Elite members members traveling on Cathay also enjoy:
  • [*]
If you fly CX as an AA codeshare / marketed flight, you will earn as if you were flying on AA.

Flying CX as CX, most discounted economy fare classes do not earn AAdvantage miles; See the chart. See Link to AAdvantage chart on earning miles and EQD flying CX.

Note: the CX website incorrectly indicates no AA miles for E fare; AA.com does and is correct

*Premium Economy fare W on a flight operated by Cathay Pacific will earn an additional 10% class of service bonus with the exception of W fares between Hong Kong and Bangkok, which will not earn a class of service bonus, and Premium Economy R or E, which earn no class of service bonus.
Upgrading to First on CX / Cathay Pacific Airways and U, Z Fare Class Issues

Upgrading a paid Business fare to First on Cathay Pacific Airways puts the flight into fare class "Z", a class that is ineligible for AAdvantage miles accrual (as reflected on the accrual chart) because it is also an award classification for a First Class award.

Upgrading a paid Premium Economy fare to Business puts it into U class, another award fare class that earns no AA miles.

Members have recently reported success at having their upgrades acknowledged as miles-garnering (mid-June 2015).

Originally Posted by BosTravel
I had the same issue. I upgraded from Biz to F using Asia Miles, but left my AA number in the reservation.

The outbound flight credited automatically without intervention.

The inbound flight did not credit and I submitted the Missing Mileage Request. That request got denied due to ineligible fare class. All I did was call the ExecPlat desk and ask for AAdvantage Customer Service, who had record of the denied claim. I explained I paid for Biz, upgraded to F, and provided them with my original ticket number (both ticker numbers were on CX stock). Call took about 5 minutes and miles (and EQM/EQP) posted to the account the next day.
and

Originally Posted by gohima
I just wanted to post the conclusion to my saga, that started with the brilliant idea to upgrade two CX flights in February (yes, 4 months ago).

Well, I Fedex'd a letter to the executive's office, which arrived Friday. Today, I received an email from an "executive liason" who said they agreed that "R" to "U" via an upgrade should be mileage earning and manually adjusted my account to receive credit. Account and status now reflects those flights.

So despite certain aagents and lower-level SUPs saying this is CX's problem and to go pound sand, AA actually can do something about it (albit at a higher level than a regular SUP, I assume). By the phrasing of the answer, I would say this isn't a one time exception but rather what is supposed to happen for these flights.

Godspeed to any other souls on this journey.
Possible snail mail or FedEx to:

Suzanne Rubin
President – AAdvantage Loyalty Program, American Airlines
4333 Amon Carter Blvd
Fort Worth, TX 76155
Thanks to nkedel.

Wikipost as of 2018
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Earning AA AAdvantage Miles on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2017, 4:34 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
MPC is not the worst among OW - it is hard to climb up the ranks, but once there, renewal is not too bad. It gives SWUs that are way better than the AA form of it, just because inventory for upgrades are almost always available. Mileage accrual does kind of sting, but again Asia miles are transferable from many more major currencies, and are easy to earn in both the US and HK. It also is significantly of better value than AA (or even AS) miles, for those that bother enough to look into the program details with care. DM/GO get through the waitlist at certain times that AA/AS grabbers can only dream about. CX hardly cares about service recovery for OW elites, but a lot for their DM/GOs.

Trust me, once you switch to MPC, you will immediately start to hope for CX to leave oneworld
I am already on MPC and by "worst" I mean how hard it is and the segment-oriented TP (which does not work for U.S. domestic travel at all). Completely understand the other benefits and differences you mentioned, I think CX does need to come up with a global program (not necessarily giving out more benefits, but at least make my JFK-SFO flights get more credits than EWR-ORD) to form a more consistent brand (AM??MPC??CX??KA??)

IMO if CX switches to *A or ST, CX HKG lounges will be even more packed, which I believe you hate the most. If CX goes boutique like EK, well then good bye AA (If CX is sold to CA then good bye CX)

Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
Really? I calculated my flight activity (E class LAX-HKG mostly) and it wouldn't even earn me MPC Gold. I'd be stuck at Silver (OW Ruby) so I don't see how easy it would be to renew MPC Diamond? With my same flight activity, I easily make EXP on AA.
CX MPC is a very local program. For us who live in the U.S., it is extremely hard to obtain GO or DM and fully enjoy the program benefits; but for HKers some travel patterns make it very easy. CX is generous enough to offer its Business lounge access to SL (OWR). Unless you do a lot of partner travel outside of CX lounge coverage, you don't lose too much by being "downgraded" to OWR or OWS. So on paper it's worse, but if you fly CX a lot, it works better with MPC SL/GO than other OWE, whose op-up priority is lower. The other difference is Business lounge vs First, which is something I don't really care. After being couple months of AA PLT I am not really sure about how valuable it is other than lounge access (and usually CX's lounge or Flagship access from CX, not AA, ironically) and free MCE, both of which MPC GO gets. (You also get Admiral Club access if you are MPC GO flying AA domestically, which EXP/PPro/PLT do not get.)

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If CX is rhat good, why would it need to be giving out compensation?
Dave, I think we all agree airlines are 100% to screw up something, no matter how good they are. Service recovery is unavoidable.

To all, not trying to start another "CX needs OW more/OW needs CX more" discussions, as there are already too many on CX and IMO not very helpful. Let's stick to the topic.

Last edited by andersonCooper; Sep 28, 2017 at 10:03 am
Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by fotoflyer88
Reason for Denial
CX HKG LAX Posted to Other FFP

This is a load of junk - I don’t even have Marco Polo/Asiamiles number. My AA number was on my original reservation both ways.

Edit: Wow looks Like I am not the only one getting this fake denial notice. Luckily have a picture of my boarding pass, etc.
I just got the same denial today for a flight (HKG-AKL) I took on 8/22. I replied back to the email with a picture of my BP which has my AA number on it. They never even requested a copy of the BP during the mileage request, unlike BA.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
I was told only 7 - 10 business days, and I waited 7 between 1st and 2nd call. Sounds like a lazy agent to me...

Off topic, now even my AA ticketed AA operated flight credits failed to post immediately (3 days after the trip)...
What number are you calling? The standard EXP line?
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Originally Posted by skunker
I just got the same denial today for a flight (HKG-AKL) I took on 8/22. I replied back to the email with a picture of my BP which has my AA number on it. They never even requested a copy of the BP during the mileage request, unlike BA.
Update: called AA CS agent who was very helpful - he spoke with a supervisor - while on hold I got an email asking me to submit Boarding Pass/Receipt. However, phone agent said not to email anything as he just had to fill out a form as the supervisor was aware of this issue. Was asked to wait 5 days for it to post.

At least this is a well known issue now. I mentioned I saw a half dozen people with the exact same problem and same week of travel online.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by skunker
What number are you calling? The standard EXP line?
Yes but they could not handle this, just ask them if this is the right place to report a missing credit, and they will transfer you to customer services. No direct line available.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: AA EXP
Called again today and the agent I spoke with (well intentioned but useless) mentioned she had talked to multiple people today alone about CX flights posting to "other FFP". Obviously a well known issue at this point. She also said she would fill out a form and it would be 30 days or longer from today. I confirmed they received my documents last week but she said nothing was initiated. Hoping she was wrong because this is getting ridiculous...
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by fotoflyer88
Update: called AA CS agent who was very helpful - he spoke with a supervisor - while on hold I got an email asking me to submit Boarding Pass/Receipt. However, phone agent said not to email anything as he just had to fill out a form as the supervisor was aware of this issue. Was asked to wait 5 days for it to post.

At least this is a well known issue now. I mentioned I saw a half dozen people with the exact same problem and same week of travel online.
Thanks, I'll give them a call as I'm also waiting on credit for a BA flight.

Yes but they could not handle this, just ask them if this is the right place to report a missing credit, and they will transfer you to customer services. No direct line available.
Thanks, that's what I figured.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
CX MPC is a very local program. For us who live in the U.S., it is extremely hard to obtain GO or DM and fully enjoy the program benefits; but for HKers some travel patterns make it very easy. CX is generous enough to offer its Business lounge access to SL (OWR). Unless you do a lot of partner travel outside of CX lounge coverage, you don't lose too much by being "downgraded" to OWR or OWS. So on paper it's worse, but if you fly CX a lot, it works better with MPC SL/GO than other OWE, whose op-up priority is lower. The other difference is Business lounge vs First, which is something I don't really care. After being couple months of AA PLT I am not really sure about how valuable it is other than lounge access (and usually CX's lounge or Flagship access from CX, not AA, ironically) and free MCE, both of which MPC GO gets. (You also get Admiral Club access if you are MPC GO flying AA domestically, which EXP/PPro/PLT do not get.)
What would be some travel patterns for HKers where making GO/DM would be easy? I'm LAX based and I mostly fly CX in E class from US to Asia and South Pacific (And this also runs up my EQDs). For AA Domestic, I'm already covered by my Admirals Club membership, so I get into ACs no matter what.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
What would be some travel patterns for HKers where making GO/DM would be easy? I'm LAX based and I mostly fly CX in E class from US to Asia and South Pacific (And this also runs up my EQDs). For AA Domestic, I'm already covered by my Admirals Club membership, so I get into ACs no matter what.
The AC access is marginal (since none of the domestic ones are good) IMO but it's still something worth at least $350.

Op-up priority, as well as other unpublished benefits (anniversary upgrade, birthday upgrade etc), are the key differentiators. Also, CX has this fanfare thing for HKers, price is nice, so maybe MPC is just not for U.S.-based OW elites, but for HKers it's still decent. And that's why I hope they could make it more a global program so loyal MPC won't be upset by how easy other programs are; whereas overseas CX fans could credit their flights to CX instead of other FFP.

Refer to this quote:

Originally Posted by QRC3288
It really depends on the class you fly. If you fly J, GO is insanely easy. Far too easy IMO. I mean, the idea you could fly two longhauls in J, and 4 short haul in J, and get GO is a little whacko to me. (Round trips I'm referring to). Especially with the cheap outport pricing, you could have someone based in Shanghai or Beijing effectively just flying 2x annually to Europe, and 2x extra round trips to HK and they're basically done. Because the round trips to Europe will go via HK and get something like 230+ Club Points each round trip. Meanwhile the pricing out of these ports is crazy cheap, especially compared to what HK people are saddled with. I guess CX does the math these outport people don't use the resources of lounges etc. like a local HK person might.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: AA EXP
Finally received credit - who knows if calling yesterday helped but glad it's done. Best of luck to everyone else awaiting credit!
Old Sep 29, 2017, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by britz
Finally received credit - who knows if calling yesterday helped but glad it's done. Best of luck to everyone else awaiting credit!
Grats! CX's credit is usually a huge increase in EQD EQM and RDM...

Looks like a standard wait time of 3 - 5 days is normal. Hopefully they don't have this FFP mismatch again.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 2:03 pm

I called AA last night and the CS agent put in a report to their CX liaison. He said it could take another 30 days to get it resolved. I also submitted a claim for a BA flight, which requested a BP via email. He had to do a similar report after speaking with a supervisor.

Should be interesting to see which flight posts first.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 10:01 pm

I am already on MPC and by "worst" I mean how hard it is and the segment-oriented TP (which does not work for U.S. domestic travel at all). Completely understand the other benefits and differences you mentioned, I think CX does need to come up with a global program (not necessarily giving out more benefits, but at least make my JFK-SFO flights get more credits than EWR-ORD) to form a more consistent brand (AM??MPC??CX??KA??)

IMO if CX switches to *A or ST, CX HKG lounges will be even more packed, which I believe you hate the most. If CX goes boutique like EK, well then good bye AA (If CX is sold to CA then good bye CX)

Dave, I think we all agree airlines are 100% to screw up something, no matter how good they are. Service recovery is unavoidable.

To all, not trying to start another "CX needs OW more/OW needs CX more" discussions, as there are already too many on CX and IMO not very helpful. Let's stick to the topic.
The reason why MPC looks local is because they don't look enticing for other people in the world to choose from. If CX MPC has something like eVIPs once you reach DM, or DM threshold similar to BA GOLD threshold, or even better, MPC LT GLD/DM, I would have been among the first few to jump on it.

I talked to a FA when I was in LHR-HKG segment in PE+. Asked which FFP I based on, I replied to her that AA suits me the best at the moment because it's not easy to credit domestic AA flights to CX. However, when one gets Premium in AA domestic, would you choose to put it in AA or CX? Then BA is better. So CX is sitting in a tough spot for us as FFP travelers because when you want fast accrual in elite qualification, AA and BA are both better, not to mention the fact that there is no LT program to speak of for MPC.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky
The reason why MPC looks local is because they don't look enticing for other people in the world to choose from. If CX MPC has something like eVIPs once you reach DM, or DM threshold similar to BA GOLD threshold, or even better, MPC LT GLD/DM, I would have been among the first few to jump on it.

I talked to a FA when I was in LHR-HKG segment in PE+. Asked which FFP I based on, I replied to her that AA suits me the best at the moment because it's not easy to credit domestic AA flights to CX. However, when one gets Premium in AA domestic, would you choose to put it in AA or CX? Then BA is better. So CX is sitting in a tough spot for us as FFP travelers because when you want fast accrual in elite qualification, AA and BA are both better, not to mention the fact that there is no LT program to speak of for MPC.
Agree. I know it's wise to avoid talking about "dollars/money" in HK, but I am essentially getting the same TP for a full price J ticket as a student getting a heavily discounted J ticket for TPAC flights, which does not make sense at all even for locals. The lack of lifetime status also does not meet any "local" needs. Miles expiration policy might be for "local" reason, but I don't see why they could not do a better inventory control or limit qualifying activities. There are multiple discussions on CX forum about how this bad FFP program hurt CX bottom line, so I hope changes will be coming soon.

I don't mind being downgraded to OWS, especially when EXP is getting to become a second tier status given the presence of CK (and BA Gold) and limitations of SWU. And the benefits of CX SL/GO were mentioned above, which I appreciated CX doing for its low/mid tier FFs.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Grats! CX's credit is usually a huge increase in EQD EQM and RDM...
No kidding! Ran up 35,452 EQMs and $4700 EQDs on a single trip earlier this year flying CX. Before that trip, I was 5K miles short of PLT, after the trip, I was PLT PRO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.