Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earning AA AAdvantage Miles /LPs on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)

Old Jun 11, 2015, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Earning Elite Qualifying Miles and Dollars, and Award Miles Flying on Cathay Pacific Airways
including earning on upgraded flights, flights between YVR and JFK
link to page on aa.com.

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Cathay Pacific marketed and operated flights as well as Cathay Pacific codeshare flights operated by oneworld® carriers and affiliates:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket in an eligible booking code
  • Fly an eligible route

On most flights marketed by partner airlines, you earn award miles based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket. Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable.KNOWN ISSUES
  • Economy fares other than Y, B or H on CX do not earn AAdvantage miles
  • B and H only earn fractional (75%) credit on AA
  • Upgrades purchased with CX miles may book into ineligible fare classes, causing challenges getting AA to credit the originally purchased fare class (see below)
  • there are a few fare classes that CX says do not earn AAdvantage miles, whereas aa.com says they will, as do members reporting their experiences here
  • JFK-YVR and YVR-JFK do accrue EQ and miles on eligible fares. JFK-YVR-HKG accrues as if nonstop JFK-HKG.
  • Premium Economy fare W on Cathay Pacific will earn an additional 10% class of service bonus with the exception of W fares between Hong Kong and Bangkok, which will not earn a class of service bonus, and Premium Economy R or E, which earn no class of service bonus.

AAdvantage Elite members members traveling on Cathay also enjoy:
Additional elite status bonus miles

If you fly CX as an AA codeshare / marketed flight, you will earn as if you were flying on AA.

Cathay Pacific marketed (“codeshare”) flights must be operated by a oneworld® or affiliate airline to earn AAdvantage miles. The ticketing or selling carrier or agent is immaterial to earnings.

It is always advised to try to assure your AA Frequent Flyer Number is on your boarding passes, and we always advise retaining your boarding passes (or take screen shots of e-boarding passes) until your instruments have all posted.

Upgrading to First on Cathay Pacific Airways and U, Z Fare Class Issues

Upgrading a paid Business fare to First on Cathay Pacific Airways puts the flight into fare class "Z", a class that is ineligible for AAdvantage miles accrual (as reflected on the accrual chart) because it is also an award classification for a First Class award.

Upgrading a paid Premium Economy fare to Business puts it into U class, another award fare class that earns no AA miles.

Members have recently reported success at having their upgrades acknowledged as accruing miles, but it may require persistence.

Originally Posted by BosTravel
I had the same issue. I upgraded from Biz to F using Asia Miles, but left my AA number in the reservation.

The outbound flight credited automatically without intervention.

The inbound flight did not credit and I submitted the Missing Mileage Request. That request got denied due to ineligible fare class. All I did was call the ExecPlat desk and ask for AAdvantage Customer Service, who had record of the denied claim. I explained I paid for Biz, upgraded to F, and provided them with my original ticket number (both ticker numbers were on CX stock). Call took about 5 minutes and miles (and EQM/EQP) posted to the account the next day.
and

Originally Posted by gohima
I just wanted to post the conclusion to my saga, that started with the brilliant idea to upgrade two CX flights in February (yes, 4 months ago).

Well, I Fedex'd a letter to the executive's office, which arrived Friday. Today, I received an email from an "executive liason" who said they agreed that "R" to "U" via an upgrade should be mileage earning and manually adjusted my account to receive credit. Account and status now reflects those flights.

So despite certain aagents and lower-level SUPs saying this is CX's problem and to go pound sand, AA actually can do something about it (albit at a higher level than a regular SUP, I assume). By the phrasing of the answer, I would say this isn't a one time exception but rather what is supposed to happen for these flights.

Godspeed to any other souls on this journey.
Possible snail mail or FedEx to:

Sean Bentel
Vice President -- Customer and Relations
4333 Amon Carter Blvd
Fort Worth, TX 76155
Thanks to nkedel.

Also see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-partners.html

Link to archive of older posts
Print Wikipost

Earning AA AAdvantage Miles /LPs on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)

Old Jun 22, 2018, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
I just looked at aa.com and they write
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ay-pacific.jsp
Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Cathay Pacific within Asia and between Asia and:
  • Africa
  • Canada
  • Europe
  • Middle East
  • South Pacific
  • U.S
That looks like flights between New York and Vancouver, which can be flown not in conjunction with a Hong Kong ticket, does not earn AAdvantage miles. Correct???
Flew JFK-YVR-HKG. Got credit as if this was direct JFK-HKG flight (no extra miles for flying to YVR). Plane was mostly empty on JFK-YVR segment.

Old Jun 22, 2018, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by Toshbaf
I just looked at aa.com and they write
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ay-pacific.jsp
Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Cathay Pacific within Asia and between Asia and:
  • Africa
  • Canada
  • Europe
  • Middle East
  • South Pacific
  • U.S
That looks like flights between New York and Vancouver, which can be flown not in conjunction with a Hong Kong ticket, does not earn AAdvantage miles. Correct???
You shouldn’t take these pages as gospel. They just show the home region and destination regions and don’t take exception flights into consideration.

YVR-JFK earns miles just like any other CX, flight.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: AA EXP Plat, Mariott Gold, Hilton Gold
Im looking at Cathay JFK-HKG-PVG-HKG-JFK in PE. (Only H on the 2nd/3rd leg). How would that work for award miles?

JFK-HKG 20% of the 16,000 miles ($3200), 24,000 EQM, 2Segments
HKG-PVG $225, 750 EQM, 2 Segments
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by jktraveler

Flew JFK-YVR-HKG. Got credit as if this was direct JFK-HKG flight (no extra miles for flying to YVR). Plane was mostly empty on JFK-YVR segment.

Single flight number "Direct" flights always credit as if they are nonstops.
E55 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
Hi

I am trying to decide if to switch from Marco Polo to AAdvantage as the main program to achieve Emerald. I am currently Diamond on CX and lifetime Gold with AA.

I have been trying to determine with certainty how many EQD and miles will I earn flying Manila-Hong Kong-Los Angeles-Hong Kong-Manila in I class (CX marketed). I travel this route often, and it would take on this tout 5.5 trips to earn Emerald.

I am having difficulty calculating how many EQD, and how many miles will this itinerary earn on the AA program. Particularly given the changes implemented by CX on 6/22 on the miles earned in their program on the LAX and MNL routes.

If someone has earned on this routes and class, can you share how it was posted on AAdvantage? thanks

Old Jul 5, 2018, 9:33 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hertz Gold 5*
Originally Posted by traveler18
Hi

I am trying to decide if to switch from Marco Polo to AAdvantage as the main program to achieve Emerald. I am currently Diamond on CX and lifetime Gold with AA.

I have been trying to determine with certainty how many EQD and miles will I earn flying Manila-Hong Kong-Los Angeles-Hong Kong-Manila in I class (CX marketed). I travel this route often, and it would take on this tout 5.5 trips to earn Emerald.

I am having difficulty calculating how many EQD, and how many miles will this itinerary earn on the AA program. Particularly given the changes implemented by CX on 6/22 on the miles earned in their program on the LAX and MNL routes.

If someone has earned on this routes and class, can you share how it was posted on AAdvantage? thanks

I haven't flown the MNL-HKG leg but have flown HKG-LAX (on AA and CX)

According to the chart and by my calculations this would earn about $3986 EQD (15942 miles x .25 for I class) and about 23913 EQM (15942 miles x 1.5 for I class) there's also a 25% cabin bonus for RDM.

The HKG-LAX leg that I flew on CX earned 10871 EQM and $1450 EQD in E class (7247 x 1.5 for EQM and 7247 x .2 for EQD)
E55 likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
Thanks
Old Jul 14, 2018, 11:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
So.. I purchased E fare on CX and they canceled my ticket and rebooked me into L since the aircraft was substituted with one that didn't have PE. Am I SOL or should I pursue the credit regardless is L earns 0% with AA?
Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:07 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
So.. I purchased E fare on CX and they canceled my ticket and rebooked me into L since the aircraft was substituted with one that didn't have PE. Am I SOL or should I pursue the credit regardless is L earns 0% with AA?
I think you may be SOL, emphasis on the L, unless you paid for E and they involuntarily “busted” you to L and didn’t compensate you for the difference between E and L. Then, you might try requesting Original Routing Credut if you give them ticket numbers, cancellation evidence, etc. but I’d expect possible resistance.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:04 am

Thanks! Gonna see how this all plays out before reporting it to AA on day 31 if the mileage doesn't appear.

The credit is part of a two leg trip. So if I get credit for one leg only, then, well, it's on as I purchase E for both legs.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 1:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks! Gonna see how this all plays out before reporting it to AA on day 31 if the mileage doesn't appear.

The credit is part of a two leg trip. So if I get credit for one leg only, then, well, it's on as I purchase E for both legs.
If you ended up rebooked onto a flight without premium economy, then it will credit as per economy for that leg. If another sector was in premium economy, that will credit as per premium economy

What you paid isn't relevant - what matters is what class you are booked on for each sector

Fare basis and booking class are different things and ( except for a few cases ) booking class determines the earning

How did the cancelling and rebooking occur?
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If you ended up rebooked onto a flight without premium economy, then it will credit as per economy for that leg. If another sector was in premium economy, that will credit as per premium economy

What you paid isn't relevant - what matters is what class you are booked on for each sector

Fare basis and booking class are different things and ( except for a few cases ) booking class determines the earning

How did the cancelling and rebooking occur?
I booked PE (E fare class). Three days before my flight, I received a text that my booked class has changed and I will be rebooked automatically by CX's CS. As the days got closer, I noticed, via the CX app, that my E confirmed fare was canceled and I was rebooked into L. L has no redemption value at all for AA crediting purposes. Each sector was booked in PE. But only one sector had an PE section.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: LH HON
As OWE you should have nagged CX about the downgrade. Usually they'd put you into J, even you were on discounted Premium Economy. As per the L sector - you're out of luck. ORC will get you somewhere - it's usually 50/50. Unfortunately I'm quite used to that, as CX likes to swap their planes with passion in between SIN-HKG.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:35 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I booked PE (E fare class). Three days before my flight, I received a text that my booked class has changed and I will be rebooked automatically by CX's CS. As the days got closer, I noticed, via the CX app, that my E confirmed fare was canceled and I was rebooked into L. L has no redemption value at all for AA crediting purposes. Each sector was booked in PE. But only one sector had an PE section.
Ah. In that case, I do think you’re SOL. If you had pushed back and either changed to a flight with PE or requested rebooking into an eligible fare class (Y, B, H) you’d be earning.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:41 pm

Well, the matter may have been solved, and not to my liking either. Today the 4th (E fare) segment posted to my AA account. The 3rd segment (downgraded to L from E fare) was taken a week before the 4th so I guess it too was reported a week later to AA as L fare.

Maybe the good thing is that I ultimately was op-up to J on the L fare. Relative short flight (ICN-HKG) considering the 4th flight was HKG-SFO.

I'll submit a claim with CX, since it appears that my tix # doesn't match the sequence of expected numbers to file a claim with AA. Let's see what happens. I'm just not going to get too overly involved with this as it was a trail run to use CX for my Asia flights. And, well, let's just say it was convenient, to go nonstop SFO-HKG as that's where I have been going every 4-6 weeks, I wasn't overly impressed enough to switch to using them as my primary ride to HKG.

Last edited by Zacnlinc; Jul 15, 2018 at 12:48 pm Reason: updated content

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.