Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earning AA AAdvantage Miles /LPs on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 11, 2015, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Earning Elite Qualifying Miles and Dollars, and Award Miles Flying on Cathay Pacific Airways
including earning on upgraded flights, flights between YVR and JFK
link to page on aa.com.

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Cathay Pacific marketed and operated flights as well as Cathay Pacific codeshare flights operated by oneworld® carriers and affiliates:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket in an eligible booking code
  • Fly an eligible route

On most flights marketed by partner airlines, you earn award miles based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket. Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable.KNOWN ISSUES
  • Economy fares other than Y, B or H on CX do not earn AAdvantage miles
  • B and H only earn fractional (75%) credit on AA
  • Upgrades purchased with CX miles may book into ineligible fare classes, causing challenges getting AA to credit the originally purchased fare class (see below)
  • there are a few fare classes that CX says do not earn AAdvantage miles, whereas aa.com says they will, as do members reporting their experiences here
  • JFK-YVR and YVR-JFK do accrue EQ and miles on eligible fares. JFK-YVR-HKG accrues as if nonstop JFK-HKG.
  • Premium Economy fare W on Cathay Pacific will earn an additional 10% class of service bonus with the exception of W fares between Hong Kong and Bangkok, which will not earn a class of service bonus, and Premium Economy R or E, which earn no class of service bonus.

AAdvantage Elite members members traveling on Cathay also enjoy:
Additional elite status bonus miles

If you fly CX as an AA codeshare / marketed flight, you will earn as if you were flying on AA.

Cathay Pacific marketed (“codeshare”) flights must be operated by a oneworld® or affiliate airline to earn AAdvantage miles. The ticketing or selling carrier or agent is immaterial to earnings.

It is always advised to try to assure your AA Frequent Flyer Number is on your boarding passes, and we always advise retaining your boarding passes (or take screen shots of e-boarding passes) until your instruments have all posted.

Upgrading to First on Cathay Pacific Airways and U, Z Fare Class Issues

Upgrading a paid Business fare to First on Cathay Pacific Airways puts the flight into fare class "Z", a class that is ineligible for AAdvantage miles accrual (as reflected on the accrual chart) because it is also an award classification for a First Class award.

Upgrading a paid Premium Economy fare to Business puts it into U class, another award fare class that earns no AA miles.

Members have recently reported success at having their upgrades acknowledged as accruing miles, but it may require persistence.

Originally Posted by BosTravel
I had the same issue. I upgraded from Biz to F using Asia Miles, but left my AA number in the reservation.

The outbound flight credited automatically without intervention.

The inbound flight did not credit and I submitted the Missing Mileage Request. That request got denied due to ineligible fare class. All I did was call the ExecPlat desk and ask for AAdvantage Customer Service, who had record of the denied claim. I explained I paid for Biz, upgraded to F, and provided them with my original ticket number (both ticker numbers were on CX stock). Call took about 5 minutes and miles (and EQM/EQP) posted to the account the next day.
and

Originally Posted by gohima
I just wanted to post the conclusion to my saga, that started with the brilliant idea to upgrade two CX flights in February (yes, 4 months ago).

Well, I Fedex'd a letter to the executive's office, which arrived Friday. Today, I received an email from an "executive liason" who said they agreed that "R" to "U" via an upgrade should be mileage earning and manually adjusted my account to receive credit. Account and status now reflects those flights.

So despite certain aagents and lower-level SUPs saying this is CX's problem and to go pound sand, AA actually can do something about it (albit at a higher level than a regular SUP, I assume). By the phrasing of the answer, I would say this isn't a one time exception but rather what is supposed to happen for these flights.

Godspeed to any other souls on this journey.
Possible snail mail or FedEx to:

Sean Bentel
Vice President -- Customer and Relations
4333 Amon Carter Blvd
Fort Worth, TX 76155
Thanks to nkedel.

Also see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-partners.html

Link to archive of older posts
Print Wikipost

Earning AA AAdvantage Miles /LPs on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by pjack
I don't often have the opportunity to fly CX , but will purchase tickets for two flying business class IAD/HKG/SYD/ & AKL/HKG/IAD. The CX miles earned by buying these tickets will be of little value to me. I'm wondering if there is a way of earning AA miles instead. I realize there might be opportunities to book AA on the CX website, but, obviously, much more flexibility on the AA site. Any ideas wpild be appreciated. Perhaps I can book the CX flights with AA??
You don't have to book on the AA website to earn AAdvantage miles on CX.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
What fare class? That’s the crucial issue for whether CX flying earns AAdvantage miles.

K, M, L, V, Q, S, G, N earn nothing on AA. B, H, Y and above do. Business will earn 1.5 EQM per flown mile, EQD and award miles. See https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ay-pacific.jsp
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:08 am

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
I have an all CX itinerary that I used Asia miles to upgrade from premium econ to business. 3 of 4 flights confirmed in business but 1 is still waitlisted. I am wondering what will happen if I remove my asia miles number and add my AA platinum number on the CX website. Want to earn AA miles and be prioritized on waitlist under my oneworld sapphire status. Thoughts?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:35 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by kar don
I have an all CX itinerary that I used Asia miles to upgrade from premium econ to business. 3 of 4 flights confirmed in business but 1 is still waitlisted. I am wondering what will happen if I remove my asia miles number and add my AA platinum number on the CX website. Want to earn AA miles and be prioritized on waitlist under my oneworld sapphire status. Thoughts?
What are Carhay’s policies regarding using Asia miles to upgrade whilst crediting to another airline?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat, National EE, Marriott Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by JDiver
What are Carhay’s policies regarding using Asia miles to upgrade whilst crediting to another airline?
Well I added my AA Plat number and the upgrade is still confirmed and waitlisted on 1 leg.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:42 pm

Question on Mileage Credit for CX flight

Just booked several flights from IAD to HKG and SYD and return............these will probably be the only flights I ever book with CX. During the booking process, I listed AA and my AAdvantage number. Does this mean I will have my mileage credited to AA rather than Asia Miles? If not, can it be done? THANKS for any info or suggestions!
Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Just booked several flights from IAD to HKG and SYD and return............these will probably be the only flights I ever book with CX. During the booking process, I listed AA and my AAdvantage number. Does this mean I will have my mileage credited to AA rather than Asia Miles? If not, can it be done? THANKS for any info or suggestions!
Not sure what your question is - If you put your AAdvantage number, you will earn AAdvantage miles. If you put your Asia Miles number, you will get Asia Miles. If you want to change, you have up till boarding to change. Whatever number is on your boarding pass will be the one you get miles deposited to. Now, note that you will only get AAdvantage miles if you book H class or above. Otherwise, you get nothing for putting your AAdvantage number, mileage-wise.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club; Asia Miles
How did you manage to list both FF?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 3:11 pm

oh, sorry........I only listed AA.....don't even have an account with Asia Miles. We're in Class I.......will this earn AA miles?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 5:01 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
This is a question about crediting to the AA program so moving the thread to the AA forum.

sxc
Cathay Pacific Moderator
Old Apr 13, 2018, 5:18 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
oh, sorry........I only listed AA.....don't even have an account with Asia Miles. We're in Class I.......will this earn AA miles?
This page will tell what your AA earning would be for a CX-marketed flight. Class I (discount business) will certainly earn.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 2:29 am

Programs: AA Explat, UA 1K
They have no issue with this.

Just make sure the agent knows which Asia miles account to pull the miles from and that they keep your AA number on the ticket.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 3:15 am

Just flew on CX where I used AsiaMiles to upgrade from J to F. While confirmations all showed my AA number my boarding passes showed my AM number. I used the Finnair site to remove my FF numbers (had to do it twice, removing AA left AM) and readd my AA number. Flights posted correctly in the original fare class minus the AA flight ironically which has not yet posted.

I doubt the waitlist will be a big issue as CX requires you to contact them to ticket the upgrade and deducts the miles at that time.
Old May 8, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
CX / AA Flight numbers

I'm looking to be confirmed that flights I've booked with Cathay Pacific (CX) have flight numbers that correspondent to American Airline (AA) flights for proper crediting when using an AA # for crediting.

When I've checked on AA.com for info, my CX flights aren't displayed. (I'm based in SFO but flights are directing me to DFW vs. the CX flights to HKG then to ICN). When I check via EF, I get the CX flight numbers only that correspond to the flight details I've booked with CX directly.

Below is the info I have thus far:

CX0873 SFO-HKG
CX0438 HKG-ICN
CX0415 ICN-HKG
CX0870 HKG-SFO

Any info/tips offered are much appreciated.

Thanks
Old May 8, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Here are some info: CX873 would be AA8931 and CX870 will be AA8929. HKG-ICN flights are not codeshared with AA so they don't have AA flight numbers.

I don't really understand what proper crediting means by OP. If OP booked flights under the CX code, then the EQMs and EQDs would be calculated using the CX chart, which is based on the distance flown and the booking class (earning nothing if booking class is below H, 20%-25%EQD and 1/1.5EQM per mile flown for higher fares). Whether that flight is codeshared with AA is not relevant here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.