Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earning AA AAdvantage Miles /LPs on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 11, 2015, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Earning Elite Qualifying Miles and Dollars, and Award Miles Flying on Cathay Pacific Airways
including earning on upgraded flights, flights between YVR and JFK
link to page on aa.com.

To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Cathay Pacific marketed and operated flights as well as Cathay Pacific codeshare flights operated by oneworld® carriers and affiliates:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket in an eligible booking code
  • Fly an eligible route

On most flights marketed by partner airlines, you earn award miles based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket. Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable.KNOWN ISSUES
  • Economy fares other than Y, B or H on CX do not earn AAdvantage miles
  • B and H only earn fractional (75%) credit on AA
  • Upgrades purchased with CX miles may book into ineligible fare classes, causing challenges getting AA to credit the originally purchased fare class (see below)
  • there are a few fare classes that CX says do not earn AAdvantage miles, whereas aa.com says they will, as do members reporting their experiences here
  • JFK-YVR and YVR-JFK do accrue EQ and miles on eligible fares. JFK-YVR-HKG accrues as if nonstop JFK-HKG.
  • Premium Economy fare W on Cathay Pacific will earn an additional 10% class of service bonus with the exception of W fares between Hong Kong and Bangkok, which will not earn a class of service bonus, and Premium Economy R or E, which earn no class of service bonus.

AAdvantage Elite members members traveling on Cathay also enjoy:
Additional elite status bonus miles

If you fly CX as an AA codeshare / marketed flight, you will earn as if you were flying on AA.

Cathay Pacific marketed (“codeshare”) flights must be operated by a oneworld® or affiliate airline to earn AAdvantage miles. The ticketing or selling carrier or agent is immaterial to earnings.

It is always advised to try to assure your AA Frequent Flyer Number is on your boarding passes, and we always advise retaining your boarding passes (or take screen shots of e-boarding passes) until your instruments have all posted.

Upgrading to First on Cathay Pacific Airways and U, Z Fare Class Issues

Upgrading a paid Business fare to First on Cathay Pacific Airways puts the flight into fare class "Z", a class that is ineligible for AAdvantage miles accrual (as reflected on the accrual chart) because it is also an award classification for a First Class award.

Upgrading a paid Premium Economy fare to Business puts it into U class, another award fare class that earns no AA miles.

Members have recently reported success at having their upgrades acknowledged as accruing miles, but it may require persistence.

Originally Posted by BosTravel
I had the same issue. I upgraded from Biz to F using Asia Miles, but left my AA number in the reservation.

The outbound flight credited automatically without intervention.

The inbound flight did not credit and I submitted the Missing Mileage Request. That request got denied due to ineligible fare class. All I did was call the ExecPlat desk and ask for AAdvantage Customer Service, who had record of the denied claim. I explained I paid for Biz, upgraded to F, and provided them with my original ticket number (both ticker numbers were on CX stock). Call took about 5 minutes and miles (and EQM/EQP) posted to the account the next day.
and

Originally Posted by gohima
I just wanted to post the conclusion to my saga, that started with the brilliant idea to upgrade two CX flights in February (yes, 4 months ago).

Well, I Fedex'd a letter to the executive's office, which arrived Friday. Today, I received an email from an "executive liason" who said they agreed that "R" to "U" via an upgrade should be mileage earning and manually adjusted my account to receive credit. Account and status now reflects those flights.

So despite certain aagents and lower-level SUPs saying this is CX's problem and to go pound sand, AA actually can do something about it (albit at a higher level than a regular SUP, I assume). By the phrasing of the answer, I would say this isn't a one time exception but rather what is supposed to happen for these flights.

Godspeed to any other souls on this journey.
Possible snail mail or FedEx to:

Sean Bentel
Vice President -- Customer and Relations
4333 Amon Carter Blvd
Fort Worth, TX 76155
Thanks to nkedel.

Also see: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-partners.html

Link to archive of older posts
Print Wikipost

Earning AA AAdvantage Miles /LPs on CX / Cathay (including Upgrade Issues)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2019, 11:41 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EP 2.1MM; Bonvoy LT-Plat; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond
Does one accumulate milion miller credit for booking premium econ on CX (non AA codeshare flt number)?

tks
Old Sep 24, 2019, 11:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by bl393
Does one accumulate milion miller credit for booking premium econ on CX (non AA codeshare flt number)?

tks
Yes
Old Sep 25, 2019, 12:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage EP 2.1MM; Bonvoy LT-Plat; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond
Oh cool. That’s good news. Thought MM based only on AA metal
Old Oct 3, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA PPro, DL Gold, UA Silver, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by bccrws
It doesn't seem to allow access to change the airline to which the miles will be credited....
You could also call CX or tweet them and they can do this for you
bccrws likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 2:57 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
CX deep discounted business “O” class doesn’t show up in the AAdvantage page that breaks down earning when flying CX. It says that a bucket that doesn’t show won’t earn anything. Is this truly a business class fare in CX that earns nothing in AA?

To clarify this is a ticket between BKK and HND on CX booked through the CX website. One leg may be on JL metal.

Last edited by yosithezet; Nov 6, 2019 at 3:02 pm
Old Nov 6, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by yosithezet
CX deep discounted business “O” class doesn’t show up in the AAdvantage page that breaks down earning when flying CX. It says that a bucket that doesn’t show won’t earn anything. Is this truly a business class fare in CX that earns nothing in AA?

To clarify this is a ticket between BKK and HND on CX booked through the CX website. One leg may be on JL metal.
Well, an "O" class business fare code doesn't even show up on CX own earnings webpage. I've never heard of that fare code on CX and can find no evidence of it.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...-POLO-CLUB_1_3

Regards
DiamondMile likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 10:43 pm

Best AA Earnings on CX?

KUL-HKG trying to earn some AA EQM on a CX flight. Discount economy doesn't earn anything. Does it make sense to pay twice as much for flex economy (H) for 0.50 EQM or 4 times as much for Business (J) for 1.50 EQM? Or do I just go with a standard discount economy for cheap and not worry about EQM? I just hate not earning anything.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 1:06 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, UA Prem Exec, BA blue
Why not take Malaysia instead? Being based in Hong Kong, I totally understand your situation—the 0 earning until you get up to expensive economy is a killer!
Old Nov 9, 2019, 1:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I would never pay more for a Y ticket to get more EQMs, that's just silly IMO you're paying money to get nothing other than a few elite miles. If you want to fly J and the cost difference isn't prohibitive for you then do it but I'd not do it to get a few extra EQMs especially on such a short flight.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by efamous
Why not take Malaysia instead? Being based in Hong Kong, I totally understand your situation—the 0 earning until you get up to expensive economy is a killer!
I need the times of the CX flight. EF does show MH has codeshare availability for the CX flight but the flight doesn't show up on the MH website, that would at least earn me 0.25 EQM. Maybe I can call MH to book? Or maybe it's only available as a continuing flight on MH metal?
Old Nov 13, 2019, 2:24 am

Actual transfer time and process

Does anyone know the actual procedure and times miles transfer to AA after taking a CX flight? Not the talking points of “it takes 30 days or 7-10 days”, but what actually happens. Example: CX sends a batch file to AA M-F except Holidays the next business day after your flight... etc. Every one world partner has a standard procedure in how they actually transfer to AA.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, AA Exec. Plat., DL DM, National E.E.
Originally Posted by Flightmil.es
Does anyone know the actual procedure and times miles transfer to AA after taking a CX flight? Not the talking points of “it takes 30 days or 7-10 days”, but what actually happens. Example: CX sends a batch file to AA M-F except Holidays the next business day after your flight... etc. Every one world partner has a standard procedure in how they actually transfer to AA.
AA miles for CX flights always seem to post on Saturdays. I've had flights taken as late as Thursday, post on Saturday of the same week.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by bigsaabowski
AA miles for CX flights always seem to post on Saturdays. I've had flights taken as late as Thursday, post on Saturday of the same week.
You are correct - that is exactly what just seemed to happen this Saturday.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 5:35 am

Did My friend earn the correct amount of AA miles from Cathay First Flight?

A friend recently took a Cathay RT flight from NY to HKG. He was in paid first class (A) and earned a total of around 24000 total miles into his AA account. Is this correct for A booking class or should he have earned more miles? (He didn’t have a Alaska account at the time of flight; I did and earned 350% bonus).

thanks
Old Dec 17, 2019, 5:40 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by globaltrotter
A friend recently took a Cathay RT flight from NY to HKG. He was in paid first class (A) and earned a total of around 24000 total miles into his AA account. Is this correct for A booking class or should he have earned more miles? (He didn’t have a Alaska account at the time of flight; I did and earned 350% bonus).

thanks
Have you checked aa.com's CX earnings page?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.