Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
The current version of this thread can be found here:

FAQ: What's a Systemwide Upgrade / SWU / eVIP / VIP? (Master thread)
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: SWU / VIP / eVIP Systemwide Upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Djokison
SWU and Mileage upgrades both come out of C inventory, so it doesn't matter, as far as the system's concerned, they're basically the same thing and work in the same way.

There is one difference (which doesn't apply to you yet), There is sometimes hidden inventory available just to EXPs, even when C=0 and everyone else would normally get waitlisted.

Edit: There is one more difference that might affect you, now that I think about it. As a gold or platinum member, miles + co-pay has priority over (plats and golds using) SWUs once the flight goes to the airport upgrade list.
Thank you, sir. I appreciate the info. Guess I will book and pray
Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by berrythekid
I did read the wiki but can appreciate your sarcasm I guess. It said "generally" can be used so I wanted to make sure N fare wasnt outside of "generally". It doesnt say anything about separate availability from other mileage awards.
I don't have time for sarcasm; I'm interested in being facilitative to new and crossover USDM members get the information they need. The wiki has a lot of useful information, and though we use wikis a lot over here, many aren't aware of them.

"...regardless of paid, published fare to the next class of service." N fare is included. Also says "C" fare class must be available to move up to the J cabin.

It also links to https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...s/upgrades.jsp, which is worth the time to read.

tom911 and others have chimed in; your chance of getting four SWUs is not high, given buying, trading for, etc. for them can put your upgrade and even account at risk.

Good luck with your flights.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
posted in wrong forum. please delete.

Last edited by brewdog11; Apr 23, 2015 at 10:36 am Reason: moving post
Old Apr 23, 2015, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jacqbaz
Hubby is new to AA (via US Air) but I manage travel. As a CP, he got 8 upgrades. As he continues to fly, he seems to get upgraded without using the certificates -- same as US Air. I'm doubtful we will travel internationally anytime soon. I've read on AA and searched the forums but I don't understand the value other than giving them to someone who isn't travelling with him or on his record. Example -- he and son were upgraded on Saturday from SFO to ATL without using the upgrade certificate. For what it's worth, ATL is the airport we use most.
The fact is that the major domestic benefit of EXP is free upgrades for yourself/sticker upgrades for a companion.

The major international benefits are SWU's and lounge access.

If you don't fly internationally you don't reap the international benefits. If you don't fly domestically you don't reap those.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 2:46 pm

A friendly reminder that AA instruments (upgrades / SWU, miles / awards, etc.)are NOT to be offered for barter, trade, sale or requested on FlyerTalk - at all, anywhere.

/Moderatorj

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 24, 2015 at 8:35 am
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: Formerly US CP & AA EXP, now Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
It also links to https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...s/upgrades.jsp, which is worth the time to read.
The linked page includes the following statement, 'Use the ‘Price & Schedule’ option to find the flight you want to book on aa.com'. I have looked and looked, and cannot figure out how to access the 'Price & Schedule' option. Help!

Thanks,

David
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:27 am

You need to have SWUs in your account for them to show. Even if you are EXP, they won't show if your balance is 0.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by davidl
The linked page includes the following statement, 'Use the ‘Price & Schedule’ option to find the flight you want to book on aa.com'. I have looked and looked, and cannot figure out how to access the 'Price & Schedule' option. Help!

Thanks,

David
On the front page at aa.com, the Find Flights tab where you might enter a booking request, offers a link to further options: Refine your search. Click on that, you'll go to another page where that option is offered (and several others).
Old Apr 28, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: Formerly US CP & AA EXP, now Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
On the front page at aa.com, the Find Flights tab where you might enter a booking request, offers a link to further options: Refine your search. Click on that, you'll go to another page where that option is offered (and several others).
Thank you. I never would have found that without help. And now I have another question. In the example I am looking at, in the row for Choice it says upgrade not available, but in the rows for business and first class there is no such notation. Can I assume that that means SWUs are available for, say, business class?

Again, thanks.

David
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
SWU Question

If you're confirmed C using an SWU and flight is cancelled - must AA keep you in C when re-booked or original Y booking code/original ticket?

Thanks
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by IflyonAA
If you're confirmed C using an SWU and flight is cancelled - must AA keep you in C when re-booked or original Y booking code/original ticket?

Thanks
Normally, if your flight is canceled or your flight itinerary is disrupted by "force majeure" problems, AA will try to preserve your upgrade. I've had them do this on AA - and even on BA back when they were ft enemies and didn't award miles on each others' flights.

We'll likely merge this into the extant thread in the "Combined Ailine and Programs" forum, as SWUs are issued to all AAdvantage members, including prior US Dividend Miles elites. /Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 28, 2015 at 3:45 pm Reason: Darn autocorrect
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by IflyonAA

Thanks
IME, they do their best to preserve the upgrade - but sometimes it simply isn't possible.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by bdemaria
IME, they do their best to preserve the upgrade -
Including on JBA partner flights, at least TATL.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Including on JBA partner flights, at least TATL.
If it is a day-of-travel IRROPS cancellation then this is true, but not when the cancellation is a change in schedule ahead of time.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
It means that if you purchase a J ticket it is upgradeable to F with a SWU.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.