Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archived thread of older posts. The current thread is:
Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB
Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
<content moved to top of wiki>
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
If I made up rules/excuses/reasonstonotdomyjob: I would be 1) Fired 2) have hardly any customers 3) self-Evaluate if I'm in the right line of work.

Must be nice to be a LAA FA!
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
If I made up rules/excuses/reasonstonotdomyjob: I would be 1) Fired 2) have hardly any customers 3) self-Evaluate if I'm in the right line of work.

Must be nice to be a LAA FA!
I was on #2225 on 6/24 and gave the great FA 2 applause certificates for doing a proper PDB. A few minutes later I was then told by the purser that they only do those when they have time and it's not a regular thing. Thanks for ruining a nice moment...of course the other FA on the right side of the aircraft was doing tray of water and OJ. 🙄
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
I was on #2225 on 6/24 and gave the great FA 2 applause certificates for doing a proper PDB. A few minutes later I was then told by the purser that they only do those when they have time and it's not a regular thing. Thanks for ruining a nice moment...of course the other FA on the right side of the aircraft was doing tray of water and OJ. 🙄
"Let me do you a favor by doing my job!"

A few months ago, during a long tarmac delay (>2 hours) on the 772 in J at MIA, we got a cup of water. That was only after the captain made the third announcement that we'd be delayed indefinitely due to ATC problems at JFK. Pax were asking for drinks (IMHO not unreasonable given the gargantuan delay) and were snidely told "NO."

I'm not a "grass is always greener" type of person, but something tells me that this would have been completely different on UA and DL.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: UR, AAdvantage
LAX-BDL 1192 on June 3rd. No PDB due to delayed boarding because of a technical issue about 20 minutes. Asked for orange juice and was told to wait.

LAX-BOS 1360 June 17. Full PDB service even with economy still boarding. FA would stop the economy boarding process in order to serve us. Maisie Williams from GoT on the flight as well
Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by TSparky
6/22 IND-ORD AA3578 Nothing. FA was eating. After take off no snack or drink. FA just sat in the jump seat for an hour. No turbulence either.

6/22 ORD-LAX AA2225 Water. No beverage service until 45 minutes after take off. I asked for a drink while they were taking the dinner orders and they said the cart will be by later. I usually have excellent service on the 788, not this time.

AA contacted. If everyone that posts a negative result also contacts AA I think it can have an affect.
The FA sitting around doing nothing is actually too bad. If you can't even be motivated to go through the motions at your job, you need to be doing something else. If the above is as you've described, it's outrageous. I faced a similar issue on a PHX-TUC. Captain at least had the decency to say that due to expected turbulence they FAs would remain seated. There was no turbulence, don't know if he was giving them the flight off as we were the last flight or they actually expected turbulence. I would have believed the Captain normally but this PDB issue makes me wonder.

I was on #2225 on 6/24 and gave the great FA 2 applause certificates for doing a proper PDB. A few minutes later I was then told by the purser that they only do those when they have time and it's not a regular thing. Thanks for ruining a nice moment...of course the other FA on the right side of the aircraft was doing tray of water and OJ. ��
Really. Wow. This purser certainly is one of those "we're primarily here for your safety" types.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Amb
Originally Posted by cmd320
Strange. Was someone supervising that interaction who may have possibly talked to them in the galley afterward? Just seems odd to me.
Not that I noticed. I suppose it is possible that I misread the body language/tone, but he seemed annoyed that I would ask for something other than water or OJ, so I was pleasantly surprised when my drink showed up a bit later.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by The smallest state
The FA sitting around doing nothing is actually too bad. If you can't even be motivated to go through the motions at your job, you need to be doing something else. If the above is as you've described, it's outrageous. I faced a similar issue on a PHX-TUC. Captain at least had the decency to say that due to expected turbulence they FAs would remain seated. There was no turbulence, don't know if he was giving them the flight off as we were the last flight or they actually expected turbulence. I would have believed the Captain normally but this PDB issue makes me wonder.
I've witnessed the turbulence excuse used as a pretext for not performing service, that's for sure.

Really. Wow. This purser certainly is one of those "we're primarily here for your safety" types.wonder.
Sounds a lot like Caesar the FA!
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Really. Wow. This purser certainly is one of those "we're primarily here for your safety" types.
If I don't need an FA around for my safety can I pay less for my ticket as that's a service I don't require? Surely there's a way Doug can monetize that.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:08 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by cmd320
If I don't need an FA around for my safety can I pay less for my ticket as that's a service I don't require? Surely there's a way Doug can monetize that.
Great thinking. Maybe Doug can knock $8.00 off of my J class ticket. I don't get a PDB and I don't get the safety of a FA sitting on her a55 for the duration "protecting me"
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
6/24 AA 1882 RDU-PHL EMB-190: Full PDB ^^
6/25 AA 1143 ORD-RDU MD-80: OJ or Water ^
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by CMK10
sorry OJ/water is in my book
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL (ex-NW) Plat pining for self-serve WC's and real cheese
OJ or water is not a "beverage of your choice." So, that's still a fail. 50%, not bad for AA!
Old Jun 30, 2017, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
6/30 CLT-OKC AA 5116. Fulll PDB. 👍👍

PSA FAs have been excellent about this lately.

Less exciting was was the FOURTH time in a row getting the shrimp orzo saffron salad for lunch.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 8:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
sorry OJ/water is in my book
Yes, especially lukewarm OJ at 7pm (AA1143). Who really wants that?

-FlyerBeek
Old Jul 1, 2017, 5:20 am
Suspended

LGA-MIA
LAA 738

Full PDB!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.