Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archived thread of older posts. The current thread is:
Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB
Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
<content moved to top of wiki>
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
6/16 JFK-SEA: FAs came through with tray of water/OJ and something referred to as "champagne". Knowing that what AA calls "champagne" on domestic J/F is basically the gas station sushi of champagne I requested a G&T which was granted. On the whole the crew was epic on this flight.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by ryan182
...Knowing that what AA calls "champagne" on domestic J/F is basically the gas station sushi of champagne...
+1

damn ryan182... you are on FIRE with your descriptions today!!!

two threads and you paint quite the picture!
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
6/12 - MEX-LAX - was offered PDB and asked for champagne (morning flight). FA came back saying they didn't have any. Hadn't seen or heard that before - especially on a 4+ hour flight
Old Jun 17, 2017, 12:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Global321
+1

damn ryan182... you are on FIRE with your descriptions today!!!

two threads and you paint quite the picture!

I should point out though, as much as I throw shade on the "champagne" and "pucks", the crew on this flight was top notch and did provide PDB of choice when asked plus provided excellent service the whole flight. Typically when one gets the tray it doesn't have "champagne" so as bad as it is I give them credit for offering that in addition to the water/OJ given it was a 6PM dpt and I have to imagine most people were like me and had worked a full day and wanted to unwind for the 6 hour flight.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
SJU-JFK
LAA 738
6-7 empty seats in FC and boarding started almost an hour before push back.

Water/OJ at 5pm. I asked if a Bloody Mary was possible which was accommodated but with an air of "I'm doing something special for you" seriously???
Old Jun 18, 2017, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
6/15/17 AA2215 DTW-DFW (738): Full PDB served on this delayed 08:45 departure. Service specifications followed to the T (and then some) throughout the flight. Very friendly, approachable crew. I think walkthroughs were done at least every 10 minutes from the start of the service to final descent.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:25 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
LGA-ORD
LAA 738
PDB of water only seen from the bulkhead.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
AA 2378

No.

😡
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
LGA-ORD
LAA 738
PDB of water only seen from the bulkhead.
The sight of that tray coming out with water and OJ on it makes my blood boil...even if accommodated with something else it's still lazy.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
I still don't understand why AA doesn't change its boarding process and FA instructions to match Delta (and what, every once in a while, LUS crews still do).

On DL, PDBs are offered and coats hung at the beginning of boarding. AA usually waits until late in the boarding process if they attempt PDB at all. The correct DL approach has the added benefit of sometimes allowing for a second pass of PDBs as boarding is nearly finished.

This is not rocket science and AA's competitors have been doing it right for the entire history of narrow-body jet aircraft. I flew plenty of UA DC-8/757/727 flights and UA back in the day also was smart enough to do coat-hanging and PDB at the start of boarding.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687
I still don't understand why AA doesn't change its boarding process and FA instructions to match Delta (and what, every once in a while, LUS crews still do).

On DL, PDBs are offered and coats hung at the beginning of boarding. AA usually waits until late in the boarding process if they attempt PDB at all. The correct DL approach has the added benefit of sometimes allowing for a second pass of PDBs as boarding is nearly finished.

This is not rocket science and AA's competitors have been doing it right for the entire history of narrow-body jet aircraft. I flew plenty of UA DC-8/757/727 flights and UA back in the day also was smart enough to do coat-hanging and PDB at the start of boarding.
Legacy USdbaAA - still does.
Legacy AAdbaAA - never did and still does not.

As you said... not rocket science.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:55 pm
Suspended

The sight of that tray coming out with water and OJ on it makes my blood boil...even if accommodated with something else it's still lazy.
That and now I am never upgraded on this route since the changes. I am consistently 4-5 on UPG list with 1-2 clearing at the gate. Moving my Chicago trips to Delta where I can at least upgrade via the App for $50 each way on my own dime.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
It's the inconsistency that I find crazy-making. On some flights, I am told they can't accommodate my request for a Diet Coke until we are in the air. On some flights, the tray is presented, but my request for a Diet Coke is accommodated. On some flights, it is a full PDB, with no tray at all. I never know what to expect, or why there is so much variation. I do know I rarely want a cup of warm water prior to a flight.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
That and now I am never upgraded on this route since the changes. I am consistently 4-5 on UPG list with 1-2 clearing at the gate. Moving my Chicago trips to Delta where I can at least upgrade via the App for $50 each way on my own dime.
It's like we're in kindergarten and the teacher's bringing out the tray of snacks...I'm surprised they don't have milk on the tray for 5pm flights.

I've moved my next 5 transcontinental flights to Delta with this new pay the difference deal as my work won't pay for first, but I will gladly pay a few hundred more to be in D1.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by ysolde
I do know I rarely want a cup of warm water prior to a flight.
Exactly how I feel about OJ on late afternoon/evening departures, too. Who actually wants a glass of OJ on a 6pm departure? Certainly not me.

I genuinely wonder how much of the "juice or water" PDB tray gets washed down the lav sink before departure.

On another note, it seems like most of my full PDB offers are on morning flights when I usually don't want alcohol. So it goes, I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.