Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archived thread of older posts. The current thread is:
Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB
Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
<content moved to top of wiki>
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2008, 10:07 am

For a couple years I have not had a predeparture drink on AA (domestic). On international there have always been Sparkling Wine/OJ/Water.

On domestic I always bring a bottle of water on.

I can understand that on M-80s, it can be very tough to serve with all other passengers standing in the aisle. However, I really think that the FA's should attempt to do this.

We are all paying, in some way, either by status, miles or money, to sit in FC. It is just a nice perk, but very nice.

I flew a lot on TWA and during the bad years, which were a lot, there was always drinks available.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
CO is amazing. 100% of the time, ANYTHING you want.
UA is 50% water/OJ, 25% anything, 25% nothing.
Seems NW/DL are very good about this too.

Once again, AA leads the race to the bottom.
How has your success been on AA? IME, UA and AA are about the same on pre-deps 50% tray of juice and agua (although request for a cocktail never declined when I've asked on both carriers), 25% beverage of choice, and 25% nada. NW is 100% for me, which helps make up for the horrid seats they have.

YMMV.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
How has your success been on AA? IME, UA and AA are about the same on pre-deps 50% tray of juice and agua (although request for a cocktail never declined when I've asked on both carriers), 25% beverage of choice, and 25% nada. NW is 100% for me, which helps make up for the horrid seats they have.

YMMV.
Haven't flown UA or NW in ages, but on DL and CO it's been practically 100% beverage of choice over the last few years.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Flew LAX-MCO yesterday aboard a 757...We were delayed 15 Minutes whilst we waited for Trash Bags...No pre-departure drinks service in First Class although there was ample time, but Senior FA managed to make herself a coffee and eat her Breakfast whilst the paying customers waited...and waited. AA needs to get some service Discipline into its First FAs.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn
I'm glad you were happy with the service. BTW, almost no one calls FAs "air hostess[es]" any longer (especially considering a significant percentage is male).
I was making the distinction. The previous time on the same exact flight where it was nothing special, it was a male, who was a little to the point. I am sure it depends on the person, but just wondering if gender plays any role.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
nail, head.

i think i can wait the 30-45 minutes for a drink. how do people in coach manage?

we get our own
Old Feb 29, 2008, 3:43 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Red face

Originally Posted by UncleDude
Flew LAX-MCO yesterday aboard a 757...We were delayed 15 Minutes whilst we waited for Trash Bags...No pre-departure drinks service in First Class although there was ample time, but Senior FA managed to make herself a coffee and eat her Breakfast whilst the paying customers waited...and waited. AA needs to get some service Discipline into its First FAs.
Gotta love those Senior Dallas Mamma's. At 8 in the morning, didn't you get your breakfast like she did before boarding? What about a Starbucks at least?

I am curious, you claim that you were delayed yesterday by 15minutes waiting for trash bags, yet the computer shows
NS/244/28FEB/LAX«
244/28FEB 49 N623
............(schedule......actual)
DEP LAX 0840/28 OUT 0836/28 42A
ARV MCO 1615/28 IN 1607/28 14

(Flight was booked full in FC)
that you left 4 minutes early, and even arrived 8 minutes early. I think an on-time departure/arrival is more important that a measly 4oz cup of beverage...especially when so much is available inside the terminal at LAX (tip: you can bring a whole bottle of Water onboard once inside security)

Even though this particular flight the #1 was a Senior Mamma, remember, not all #1 (FC FAs) are senior.

I'm surprised (not really) that this thread for PDBs comes up at least every other month....doesn't anyone know how to do a search?

Anyway, As I've said before, I'll try to do a PDB when time allows it. Since I fly mostly transcons, then it is Water/OJ/Champagne (AFS service...same as IFS service) If the liquor carts are open, and my galley FA is ready, when someone requests something different, then I'll make it..if not, it's the standard Water/OJ/Champagne just like everyone else.

Mid-cons you may get your choice. However, what most people don't think about, the more you drink on the ground, the less you will have available in the air.

If I can, I'll try to do a PDB on a narrowbody (MD80/737) but it's extremely difficult to walk through customers with roller-boards in the aisles. When you're trying to get a flight out on-time, stopping the flow of traffic is not an easy task.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sluggoaafa
If I can, I'll try to do a PDB on a narrowbody (MD80/737) but it's extremely difficult to walk through customers with roller-boards in the aisles. When you're trying to get a flight out on-time, stopping the flow of traffic is not an easy task.
Yet CO FA's manage to do it on every flight, every day, without fail.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 3:51 pm

good for them. They must have the ability to either walk through people, or teleport back to the galley

every time that I walk out into the aisle during boarding on a narrowbody, it takes me at least 3-5 minutes to wiggle my way back to the front. Wish I knew the secret of those CO FAs....wonder if they'll still be able to do it when the merge comes.....
Old Feb 29, 2008, 3:54 pm
Suspended

every time that I walk out into the aisle during boarding on a narrowbody, it takes me at least 3-5 minutes to wiggle my way back to the front. Wish I knew the secret of those CO FAs....wonder if they'll still be able to do it when the merge comes.....
Old Feb 29, 2008, 3:59 pm
Suspended

At 8 in the morning, didn't you get your breakfast like she did before boarding? What about a Starbucks at least?
I don't see how a passenger's in/ability get his breakfast before getting on the plane has anything to do with a working FA's in/ability to eat breakfast before work (and therefore your excusing her eating it while on the job, while ignoring passengers.)
Old Feb 29, 2008, 4:27 pm

(and therefore your excusing her eating it while on the job, while ignoring passengers.)
Technically, she's not on the job until that door is closed. AA FAs don't start getting paid until the door is closed, at which time, per the FAA, no PDBs are to be handed out.

Do you like working for free? That whole entire 30 minutes of boarding is not 'on the clock' so there is no true incentive for AA FAs to work during that time.

I'm not sure if CO FAs are being paid, but when there is no incentive during that boarding time (like getting paid) then it will be a hit or miss for PDBs (IMO)
Old Feb 29, 2008, 4:32 pm
Suspended

...but when there is no incentive during that boarding time (like getting paid) then it will be a hit or miss for PDBs (IMO)

Excuse after excuse for lack of service aside, it seems attitude towards the customer really just goes a long way...
Old Feb 29, 2008, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold

Excuse after excuse for lack of service aside, it seems attitude towards the customer really just goes a long way...
It may well be that CO and DL FAs get paid for the period before the boarding door closes, while AA FAs don't. This would then seem to the fault of corporate policy. Of course, it could also be that CO and DL FAs are just more customer-friendly and are happy to help the customers even during times when they are not getting paid. At this point we don't know either way.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 4:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by vasantn
It may well be that CO and DL FAs get paid for the period before the boarding door closes, while AA FAs don't. This would then seem to the fault of corporate policy. Of course, it could also be that CO and DL FAs are just more customer-friendly and are happy to help the customers even during times when they are not getting paid. At this point we don't know either way.
Ha! You must be kidding! I'm pretty darn sure every USA legacy carrier's FA's are paid only once the door closes. At least I've heard both UA and CO FA's "discuss" this with me in flight.

The difference only lies in attitude (as clearly illustrated).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.