Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This is the archived thread of older posts. The current thread is:
Post by brc757rr, July 2015:
Originally Posted by AA policy regarding PDB
Pre-departure beverages are expected to be offered on all flights. On domestic flights, customers should be offered a beverage of choice. On international flights with bonded liquor, we offer a choice of orange juice, water, sparkling water, sparkling wine and mimosas and will fulfill requests for non alcoholic beverages of choice provided that supplies can be obtained without opening bonded carts and carriers. If pre-departure beverages cannot be served because of operational reasons, flight attendants are expected to apologize to customers and advise that beverages will be served as soon as possible after take off.
Originally Posted by brc757rr
I was able to receive the exact language of the company policy from American Airlines today via Twitter regarding PDB's. I was actually quite impressed they followed up with me regarding a conversation that started a few days ago. I also received a nice note from Hector Adler who I also reached out to who said that pre-departure services were discussed at great length at a meeting late last week. Let's hope things begin to improve and if not we continue to press the FA's to follow company policy.
<content moved to top of wiki>
So there you have it.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Did a little searching on Twitter. A good hashtag could be just #PDBServed and the condition listed before that. So, something like:

@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG No #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Full #PDBServed
@AmericanAir 08/18 AA123 ORG Limited #PDBServed

This allows all PDB service to be posted, good, bad, and otherwise. This should show AA that we feel this is a desired service. Maybe if someone gets energetic, a summary post could be done, maybe weekly?
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Predeparture Drinks/Beverage (PDB) - When, What and Why Not?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2008, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Any "Flagship Service" (International Flagship, American Flagship, and Hawaiian Flagship) has always offers the water/oj/"bubbly" predepartures. FAs are very good with this service standard.

This particular discussion is more geared towards non-Flagship flights, such as a typical mid-con.

-FlyerBeek
Hawaiian Flagship service? Never heard of this. . .
Old Feb 24, 2008, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by JumboD
I'm not sure if it's "official" or not - but I know that I've heard the FAs use this term on many of my Hawaii flights.

YMMV,
FlyerBeek
Old Feb 24, 2008, 11:30 pm

The marketing department must be falling down on the job. Just because you have not heard of it, does not mean that it doesn't exist.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 7:37 am

Programs: AA L/T Gold
DFW->SNA & SNA -> DFW

water oj < 50% of the time
booze = never
Old Feb 25, 2008, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by mlgagne
DFW->SNA & SNA -> DFW

water oj < 50% of the time
booze = never
thats about what I see domestic US also ... not so irritating when you can see they are busy with something, but when they are standing around talking with each other ....
Old Feb 25, 2008, 8:29 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
"Please take your seat, sir, and stop asking for beer, or I will have to call Security!"

Originally Posted by AAaLot
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

This list is worth repeating.

The Mco FA was making up a rule. I love it when they do that.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:46 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Neither of your posts in this thread really make sense. I've always been served prior to departure at MIA (same state as MCO), so it's obviously not a license issue. Also, the AC, from my knowledge, is treated as a separate company than the airline, and could thus have its own licenses.
I have no idea whether AA has a state liquor license or whether there is some Orlando/Orange County requirement. Apparently this isn't the issue at MCO.

Apparently, it is the case at the locations that SluggoAAFA. It appears AA does not have liquor licenses in PA, OH, KS, or CT.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I have no idea whether AA has a state liquor license or whether there is some Orlando/Orange County requirement. Apparently this isn't the issue at MCO.

Apparently, it is the case at the locations that SluggoAAFA. It appears AA does not have liquor licenses in PA, OH, KS, or CT.

The places sluggo listed vary on their rules. Some it is before a certain time of day, some places it is no liquor on sunday.

The general rule for predepartures is that they want us to do them but understand if we don't have the time. Predepartures that we learn in training have always consisted of OJ, water, and champagne. That is what AA considers predepartures. If Champagne is in splits and we don't have many than OJ and Water is acceptable. Many FAs, myself included, will serve a full complement of drinks if time allows it and if I/they am not working with bonded liquor carts.

This predeparture belief that all beverages should be offered during predepartures is one of the reasons MOST flight attendants get mad when all FAs don't follow procedure at all times. When you deviate from procedure, and many FAs follow you, then you set a precedent that now makes the passengers believe that those who follow the rules are lazy instead of just doing what the book says.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by muddy
thats about what I see domestic US also ... not so irritating when you can see they are busy with something, but when they are standing around talking with each other ....

There are definitely some lazy FAs. I do have to add, though, that many times when you see us standing around in the front there are some factors at work that can make or break our decision to to the predepartures. They could range anywhere from: we are being catered, we don't know if the airplane is broken, we have the old catering, we have an issue going on in the back you don't know about, we want to be sure to speak with the agent about something we have a problem with before they sneak in and shut the door while we're in the aisle, the captain tells us to hold off service..... There are a lot of weird factors during boarding that DO prevent predepartures. Many of those reasons have a lot to do with the flight but are not things you want to make announcements about.

Some people definitely just don't do them. I don't understand it myself but those who don't insist they aren't doing them. I try to always do them, or at least start them. You can't win all the time though because I have had people become very angry with me for not getting to their row when they saw me give half the cabin predepartures. Sometimes you're d@mned if you do and d@mned if you don't.

I didn't get newspapers on a flight this month but I found some papers in the closet from the inbound so I gave a few people newspapers and was yelled at by a man who didn't get USA today when the man in front of him did. I told him we didn't have newspapers on the flight and I was giving out the ones from the inbound flight and he told me I shouldn't have given any out. So, next time I don't.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 11:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AAFA
The places sluggo listed vary on their rules. Some it is before a certain time of day, some places it is no liquor on sunday.

The general rule for predepartures is that they want us to do them but understand if we don't have the time. Predepartures that we learn in training have always consisted of OJ, water, and champagne. That is what AA considers predepartures. If Champagne is in splits and we don't have many than OJ and Water is acceptable. Many FAs, myself included, will serve a full complement of drinks if time allows it and if I/they am not working with bonded liquor carts.

This predeparture belief that all beverages should be offered during predepartures is one of the reasons MOST flight attendants get mad when all FAs don't follow procedure at all times. When you deviate from procedure, and many FAs follow you, then you set a precedent that now makes the passengers believe that those who follow the rules are lazy instead of just doing what the book says.
Since you know pax would always prefer a choice of anything pre-departure, why not do it? Something to do with living in Slackerville?
Old Feb 25, 2008, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
Since you know pax would always prefer a choice of anything pre-departure, why not do it? Something to do with living in Slackerville?

Deliberately antagonizing actual AA employee contributors is poor form, IMO.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 11:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FWAAA

Deliberately antagonizing actual AA employee contributors is poor form, IMO.
Was perfectly reasonable question.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 12:13 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was perfectly reasonable question.
Until the slackerville comment...
Old Feb 25, 2008, 12:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HNL
Until the slackerville comment...
No. AAFA claims to live there. I simply asked if that was the reason.
Old Feb 25, 2008, 1:22 pm

No. AAFA claims to live there. I simply asked if that was the reason.
Thanks for the protection guys. I might have taken offense if my address didn't say it and Benjamin left out the smiley. When I signed up a few years ago I didn't want to put my real address in because I figured any company lurkers could use their powers of deduction to figure out who I was and I also figured why open the door for any stalkers. I'm also a little bit of a smart aleck (in case you all haven't noticed ) and it amused me.

As I said, the protocol is oj, water, and champagne. I try to do all when able but don't if I can't. That's it.

The most important thing for the person in the galley to do is to set it up for the inflight service. Predepartures take second rating to that. On a widebody airplane the first thing the galley FA does is take the OJ, water, Champagne and predeparture glasses and sends it out to the aisle FAs and tells them to vacate the galley and gives them the hint (or tells them flat out) to get out of their way. Sometimes the galley is fine with you running in and out to get diet cokes or coffee, but other times they aren't so it is OJ, water, and champagne for all with no deviations.

So, basically, you can ask for other drinks but you might not receive them. If that's the case than just wait until take off and you'll get what you want and need.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.