Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earning AA Miles on QF / Qantas Airways (master thread)

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 9, 19, 10:18 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Earning AAdvantage miles on QF / Qantas Airways flights

For current information on AA mile and point earning rules (RDM, EQM) on flights marketed by Qantas / QF, please see the page on AA.com: link

NOTES: Qantas fares that are NOT mentioned (e.g., N, Q) do NOT earn any AAdvantage miles. Qantas marketed flights operated by Jetstar do NOT earn any AAdvantage EQ or award miles.

Qantas marketed flights operated by EY / Etihad Airways and several other non-oneworld airlines such as FJ do exceptionally earn AAdvantage miles; apply the QF earning chart here.

For AA marketed flights operated by QF, apply the AA earning charts.

NOTE: Thanks to the JBA, EQ earnings in Qantas have been increased in accordance with earning rates on AA, AY, BA, JB, JL as of October 2019. See Qantas and American Announce Expanded JBA Benefits Oct 2019

From Dave Noble's post below, for the discounted fares sold on Qantas' website:

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Red-e-deal N/E class - 50 % mileage earning
Red-e-deal O class - 50 % mileage earning
Super Savers - 50% mileage earning
Flexi Saver - 100% mileage earning
Fully Flexible -100% mileage earning

If booking red-e-deals , just check the booking class
For further information see:

[U]HELP DESK: Earning Elite Qualifying EQD, EQM & Award / RDM AA, Partners[/B]

QF Forum: How do you find the fare class on Qantas.com ?

[/COLOR]
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 22, 08, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier, Starwood Gold

I'm flying to SYD on QF and wanted to know if I would receive AA miles for these flights. Currently booked in S on the outbound and Q on the return. According to the AA site I should receive 50% credit for the S fare but I'm not seeing anything for the Q fare. Am I completely out of luck on that one?

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 8, 16 at 8:37 am Reason: Restore original post after moving moderator notes to wikipost
Old Feb 22, 08, 3:06 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
If it's not listed here you don't earn miles - so Q=nada.
Old Feb 22, 08, 3:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If the fare class doesn't show as a mileage eligible one, it isn't. Your fare class bases seem to be "S" outbound and "SOL" on the return.

Originally Posted by DCATravel View Post
I'm flying to SYD on QF and wanted to know if I would receive AA miles for these flights. Currently booked in S on the outbound and Q on the return. According to the AA site I should receive 50% credit for the S fare but I'm not seeing anything for the Q fare. Am I completely out of luck on that one?
Old Feb 22, 08, 3:40 pm

And for EQPs on a QF S fare, it is 50% of 50% (i.e. 25% of flown miles) = less than 1900 EQPs.

A lot of people here suggest/imply/accuse AA of selling high-priced codeshare flights to Oz, but down the bottom end of the scale that is not necessarily my experience. I literally was researching it last night for the 4 of us to fly LAX-MEL return later this year, and the fare difference for all four of us between using the AA codeshare over the QF number was <$200. In English, that means for <$200 we get full mileage accrual and (given the bucket, which is S in both cases) 100% more EQPs than QF offers. No brainer.
Old Feb 22, 08, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, CO Gold
A solution: credit flights to AS.

If the fare difference for the AA numbered flight does not justify the cost differential there is a work-around: get the miles credited to the Alsaska Airlines Mileage plan.

For example the (deep discount) Qantas N fare class does not qualify for any AA credit, but gets 100% mileage credit on AS which can then be used for AA awards.

Best

Steven
Old May 4, 09, 6:29 pm

Programs: UAL 1K/1MM, AA Gold, Delta Silver, HH Diamond, PC Platinum
Earning AAdvantage miles on Qantas / QF? (consolidated)

Hey everyone. I've been thinking of going to Oz on Qantas, and booking direct with qantas appears to be cheaper ($800 RT from LAX). I was told by an acquaintance that if I book the "cheap fare" on qantas, I may not get AA points for it. Anyone know if that is true? Thanks

Last edited by dstan; Jun 24, 11 at 10:53 am Reason: moving mod note up to new first post
Old May 4, 09, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
It could be true - and most likely is if you're going for the cheap seats.

Figure out what the fare class is and bounce that off of AA.com to see if it earns miles. If you want AA miles, either book the codeshare or book a fare class that does earn miles.
Old May 4, 09, 6:34 pm

Programs: DL PM; AA 1MM
Depending on what fare class you book on Qantas, you may get:

A) Full AA mileage
B) Partial AA mileage
C) No AA mileage

Refer to the chart on aa.com for Qantas fare codes and mileage:
http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...tasAirways.jsp

(Note: If the fare code does not appear on the linked aa.com page, then you get no AA miles for it)
Old May 4, 09, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Are you interested in earning AA point or AA miles - they are different things.

Either way, this chart on aa.com gives you the details on which Qantas fare buckets classes earn AA points and/or miles
Old May 4, 09, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, DL-SLV, JL-SAPPHIRE, Hyatt Diamond, *wood Gold
Hi ClearedDirect,

You might want to call Qantas and ask for the fare class for the $800RT ticket from LAX. Based on my experience, however, a ticket with this price usually is booked with "O" class. If it is, you should be able to earn 50% of actual miles flown on AAdvantage program.

I hope it helps.
Old May 4, 09, 7:04 pm

Programs: UAL 1K/1MM, AA Gold, Delta Silver, HH Diamond, PC Platinum
ok cool, thanks for the AA link. Step two is finding the fare code off the qantas website. it just says "sale" or "economy" everywhere. Maybe I have to call them to get the official class?
Old May 4, 09, 7:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Mariott Titanium UA Gold NEXUS
The cheapest tickets on Qantas' web site have NEVER earned me AA points over the last five years. They book into a non-earning class; it's likely yours therefore won't, but the fare rules page on Qantas when you select "red tail" or whatever it is should show you the booking class IIRC.

Eight or ten years ago I pulled down a whole bunch of miles (and Gold status) with a couple trips to OZ one year on cheap tickets, but I think those days are kind of gone.
Old May 4, 09, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Of the common transpacific sale fare classes on Qantas:
  • O class will earn ½RDM/EQM and ¼ EQP.
  • N and Q classes earn zip.

The good news is that most of these current sale fares book into O class.

Here's how to find the booking class:
  • Do a dummy booking, but do not complete it.
  • At some stage you will see "Total Price = " with a figure.
    Originally Posted by e.g.
    "Total Price = $730.73"
  • Click on the dollar amount and a pop up window should appear. In it will be the base fare and tax total.
    Price Breakdown
    Adult
    Fare 1 x 459.00
    Charges/Taxes 271.73
    Total Price 730.73 = $730.73 (USD)
  • Record the base fare ($459 in the example).
  • Look the base fare up on Expert Flyer, KVS or try to do a fare search using ITA. (http://matrix.itasoftware.com/cvg/dispatch/)
  • Match the base fares and you are very likely to have found the correct fare code.
In the example I used, the fare bases is OQF2A, so it does, indeed, book into O class.

Last edited by serfty; May 4, 09 at 8:06 pm
Old May 4, 09, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by atsak View Post
The cheapest tickets on Qantas' web site have NEVER earned me AA points over the last five years. They book into a non-earning class; it's likely yours therefore won't, but the fare rules page on Qantas when you select "red tail" or whatever it is should show you the booking class IIRC. ...
Qantas do not believe in showing the booking class before a booking is completed. Why? Ask them - I think it sucks!
Old May 4, 09, 10:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Mariott Titanium UA Gold NEXUS
Originally Posted by serfty View Post
Qantas do not believe in showing the booking class before a booking is completed. Why? Ask them - I think it sucks!
It is pretty sad. I have had all Q bookings over the years. Nice these ones are booking in O. I suspect that's because it's winter in Australia; I never go in the winter.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: