Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earning AA Miles on QF / Qantas Airways (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 8, 2016, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Earning AAdvantage miles on QF / Qantas Airways flights

For current information on AA mile and point earning rules (RDM, EQM) on flights marketed by Qantas / QF, please see the page on AA.com: link

NOTES: Qantas fares that are NOT mentioned (e.g., N, Q) do NOT earn any AAdvantage miles. Qantas marketed flights operated by Jetstar do NOT earn any AAdvantage EQ or award miles.

Qantas marketed flights operated by EY / Etihad Airways and several other non-oneworld airlines such as FJ do exceptionally earn AAdvantage miles; apply the QF earning chart here.

For AA marketed flights operated by QF, apply the AA earning charts.

NOTE: Thanks to the JBA, EQ earnings in Qantas have been increased in accordance with earning rates on AA, AY, BA, JB, JL as of October 2019. See Qantas and American Announce Expanded JBA Benefits Oct 2019

From Dave Noble's post below, for the discounted fares sold on Qantas' website:

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Red-e-deal N/E class - 50 % mileage earning
Red-e-deal O class - 50 % mileage earning
Super Savers - 50% mileage earning
Flexi Saver - 100% mileage earning
Fully Flexible -100% mileage earning

If booking red-e-deals , just check the booking class
For further information see:

[U]HELP DESK: Earning Elite Qualifying EQD, EQM & Award / RDM AA, Partners[/B]

QF Forum: How do you find the fare class on Qantas.com ?

[/COLOR]
Print Wikipost

Earning AA Miles on QF / Qantas Airways (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by TIMOS
Or - how else could iI earn QF points in the US?
Car rentals and hotel stays. Options are very limited.

Originally Posted by TIMOS
If I fly LAX-JFK-LAX on AA - and give my QF # I would earn QF points correct? However those flights would also NOT count towards my AA status - that correct?
Correct and correct, if the fare qualifies you can earn QF miles, but often at low rates:
https://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn...m/terms#jump25
Scroll down to "Partner Airline Earning Table"
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
This was cross-posted in contravention of FlyerTalk Rules on the subject. This thread is being closed in favour of the earlier of the two:

Best way to build up QF points living in USA?

~Moderator
Old Feb 27, 2015, 5:54 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Question re partner earning [AA miles on Qantas]

Hi all,

Following some discussion on the Qantas forum, i am thinking of reactivating my AA membership as the award flights are so much cheaper than Qantas.

My question, since one of the main reasons that I shifted to qantas was to be able to fly emirates on the qantas codeshares as I like EK premium cabins, is if I book a flight on the Qantas codeshare flight number (operated by emirates)do these flights credit back to AAdvantage under the one world arrangement.

And do these qualify for elite qualification?

thanks
Old Feb 27, 2015, 6:36 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
From http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...nes/qantas.jsp

Earn miles when flying on Qantas Airways marketed and operated flights for travel on an eligible published fare ticket. Miles are also earned on Qantas Airways codeshare flights. Exception: Qantas codeshare flights operated by Jetstar are ineligible for any AAdvantage mile accrual/elite credit.

Note that this does NOT require codeshares to be on OneWorld partner metal.

Happy wandering

Fred
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by oranjemakker
Hi all,

Following some discussion on the Qantas forum, i am thinking of reactivating my AA membership as the award flights are so much cheaper than Qantas.

My question, since one of the main reasons that I shifted to qantas was to be able to fly emirates on the qantas codeshares as I like EK premium cabins, is if I book a flight on the Qantas codeshare flight number (operated by emirates)do these flights credit back to AAdvantage under the one world arrangement.

And do these qualify for elite qualification?

thanks
You'll earn miles on these flights per the QF accrual table on AA.com as if you flew QF operated flights even though AA.com isn't clear on the subject at all.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 3:17 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Now we're all earning and burning from the same programme, this thread will be moved up to the Combined forum.

~Moderator
Old Apr 19, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, AA Exec Plat
I am abit confused about the AA miles on QF marketed flights now. I have a Qantas Marketed AA operated flight from LAX to AKL, booked into O. How many EQM will I get for AA? Assume the round trip is about 12k miles, will i get 0.5 x 12k = 6k EQM, or 0.25 x 0.5 x 12k = 1.5K EQM? or i don't earn anything? - since under the regions section of aa.com it only has between South Pacific and U.S,?
Old Apr 19, 2016, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by x9bull
I am abit confused about the AA miles on QF marketed flights now. I have a Qantas Marketed AA operated flight from LAX to AKL, booked into O. How many EQM will I get for AA? Assume the round trip is about 12k miles, will i get 0.5 x 12k = 6k EQM, or 0.25 x 0.5 x 12k = 1.5K EQM? or i don't earn anything? - since under the regions section of aa.com it only has between South Pacific and U.S,?
The earnings will be as https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...nes/qantas.jsp

New Zealand is in the South Pacific region

O class earns 50% EQMs per mile flown = 12000 * 0.5 = 6000 EQMs

For miles that can be redeemed for awards

O class earns 25% Base miles = 12000 *0.25 = 3000 miles . Bonus for any status held with AA will be applied to the 3000
Old Apr 26, 2016, 4:50 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, AA EXP, QFF WP, HH D, SPG G, Hertz PC
Something I still haven't been able to establish - is the AA Elite Minimum Mileage Guarantee for partner airline flights staying after the proposed changes to the AAdvantage program? Or is it going?
Old Apr 26, 2016, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by beardoc
Something I still haven't been able to establish - is the AA Elite Minimum Mileage Guarantee for partner airline flights staying after the proposed changes to the AAdvantage program? Or is it going?
What will happen when it changes to being revenue based is unknown.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 1:48 pm

Gaming the system: better to fly AA Econ or QF to Sydney?

I'm sure something like this has been asked before but I could not find the answer.

Looking at flying to Sydney before the end of the year to get to Platinum. Looks like I'd get about 10K miles if I buy my ticket on AA.

Per AA, "On most flights marketed by partner airlines, you'll earn award miles based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket." Does anyone know what the percentage is for a QF flight?

Basically I'm trying to figure out if, prices being equal, it is to my advantage to book through QF rather than AA.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 1:51 pm

It will depend on what fare you are purchasing. If you go to https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...r-airlines.jsp , you can check both Qantas earning rates and AA earning rates and compare

If tryngt o attain platinum status, then EQM earning will likely be lower on QF than AA. In discount economy, the QF earning will likely be 50% that of AA
Old Oct 26, 2016, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by taffygrrl
I'm sure something like this has been asked before but I could not find the answer.

Looking at flying to Sydney before the end of the year to get to Platinum. Looks like I'd get about 10K miles if I buy my ticket on AA.

Per AA, "On most flights marketed by partner airlines, you'll earn award miles based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket." Does anyone know what the percentage is for a QF flight?

Basically I'm trying to figure out if, prices being equal, it is to my advantage to book through QF rather than AA.
So are you flying for the award miles or the elite qualifying miles? You state it's for EQM - then just make sure you book the AA flight number (on AA or QF) and you will get 100% EQM based on distance for ANY econ class. Book the QF flight number and EQM may be far less.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 4:05 pm

Thanks! I am aiming for the EQMs.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:19 am

Not getting AA miles for Qantas Y fare

I flew Qantas from HKG to Christchurch, NZ via Brisbane at the end of April. I booked a Y class fare and had my AA FF on my Qantas reservation.

I didn't get an AA EQM or EQD for the flight. I submitted a missing miles request and still no credit. I called AA customer service and the response was "it's been submitted to Qantas and waiting for a reply". Been almost 2 months now since the flight and still no credit.

I believe I should be getting 100% EQMs & 20% EQDs for this Y fare flight. Any suggestions on who I need to talk with to get the credits? I'm not getting anywhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.