Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earning AA Miles on QF / Qantas Airways (master thread)

Earning AA Miles on QF / Qantas Airways (master thread)

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 9, 19, 10:18 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Earning AAdvantage miles on QF / Qantas Airways flights

For current information on AA mile and point earning rules (RDM, EQM) on flights marketed by Qantas / QF, please see the page on AA.com: link

NOTES: Qantas fares that are NOT mentioned (e.g., N, Q) do NOT earn any AAdvantage miles. Qantas marketed flights operated by Jetstar do NOT earn any AAdvantage EQ or award miles.

Qantas marketed flights operated by EY / Etihad Airways and several other non-oneworld airlines such as FJ do exceptionally earn AAdvantage miles; apply the QF earning chart here.

For AA marketed flights operated by QF, apply the AA earning charts.

NOTE: Thanks to the JBA, EQ earnings in Qantas have been increased in accordance with earning rates on AA, AY, BA, JB, JL as of October 2019. See Qantas and American Announce Expanded JBA Benefits Oct 2019

From Dave Noble's post below, for the discounted fares sold on Qantas' website:

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Red-e-deal N/E class - 50 % mileage earning
Red-e-deal O class - 50 % mileage earning
Super Savers - 50% mileage earning
Flexi Saver - 100% mileage earning
Fully Flexible -100% mileage earning

If booking red-e-deals , just check the booking class
For further information see:

[U]HELP DESK: Earning Elite Qualifying EQD, EQM & Award / RDM AA, Partners[/B]

QF Forum: How do you find the fare class on Qantas.com ?

[/COLOR]
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 30, 09, 5:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
That's why many of us are on FT. A number of fares / airline combos allow no AA miles, 30% of miles flown, do not award elite status bonus miles, etc. It pays to check before one flys, as to do otherwise can turn a true FTer absolutely apoplectic when s/he arrives home and sees all those miles have slipped through one's fingers. The horror!

Originally Posted by maracle View Post
In September I flew LAX-AUK-BNE-MEL-SYD-LAX on Qantas...I was fairly disappointed to discover that most of this itinerary was completely ineligible for AA miles. Only LAX-AUK and BNE-MEL were eligible, at 50% of the actual miles. The rest of the flights were in fare class N, which is apparently ineligible.

I knew that the partnership with Qantas had been significantly devalued since my last trip to Australia (in 2003 I did a similar multicity trip and ended up with over 18000 miles on a lowest economy rate ticket), but I didn't realize so many flights would be worth nothing. Is N a common rate class now? Does anyone know how many other rate classes are excluded from earning miles?

Having earned only about 4350 miles on almost 17,000 miles of flights I might have chosen to earn into Qantas's program instead.

thanks!

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 17, 10 at 4:11 pm Reason: typo
Old Oct 30, 09, 7:18 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Oops, meant AKL rather than AUK

yes, I found the charts but unfortunately I booked on Orbitz and they're pretty opaque about what fare classes you end up in. I guess the lesson here might be to not book that way and call in to Qantas directly...
Actually, they're really not. You can see the rules and restrictions before you purchase. If you can't see the rules and restrictions, you probably shouldn't purchase the ticket.

But my main question was to see if that type of fare class is common or not. Did I book and unusual ticket or should I expect to find most discount QF fares worth nothing on AA?
Super cheap QF fares don't accrue much/anything on AA, just as AA fares booked in O, Q, and W (two cheapest + web fares) earn nothing on QF.

I'm going to be moving to Australia sometime next year and I've been trying to figure out if it makes any sense to target AA miles for Australia travel.
Only if you can avoid booking super cheap fares that earn nothing with AAdvantage...
Old Oct 30, 09, 7:44 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Gold
Having earned only about 4350 miles on almost 17,000 miles of flights I might have chosen to earn into Qantas's program instead.
Can you do a post-flight mile credit on your Qantas account for the ones ineligible for AA miles? Better than getting nothing from those flights
Old Oct 30, 09, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oops, meant AKL rather than AUK

yes, I found the charts but unfortunately I booked on Orbitz and they're pretty opaque about what fare classes you end up in. I guess the lesson here might be to not book that way and call in to Qantas directly...

But my main question was to see if that type of fare class is common or not. Did I book and unusual ticket or should I expect to find most discount QF fares worth nothing on AA?

I'm going to be moving to Australia sometime next year and I've been trying to figure out if it makes any sense to target AA miles for Australia travel.
Originally Posted by JALPak View Post
Can you do a post-flight mile credit on your Qantas account for the ones ineligible for AA miles? Better than getting nothing from those flights
You may want to check QF program more thoroughly before making such decision.

Deep discount fares earn very little QF miles also.

On top of that, it costs you a lot more to redeem QF miles for the same flight if you redeem AA miles.

There are reasons WHY AA codeshare is 20% higher than QF deep discount fare - the major one is, you will earn 100% AA miles on the codeshare but earn 0 on the QF cheap fare.

You do get what you pay for.
Old Oct 31, 09, 2:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Happy View Post
You may want to check QF program more thoroughly before making such decision.

Deep discount fares earn very little QF miles also.
No they do not, All economy fares on Qantas will earn 100% mileage to the Qantas scheme

On top of that, it costs you a lot more to redeem QF miles for the same flight if you redeem AA miles.
Generally this is true, but when earning zero miles vs 100% miles, the QF scheme works well

There are reasons WHY AA codeshare is 20% higher than QF deep discount fare - the major one is, you will earn 100% AA miles on the codeshare but earn 0 on the QF cheap fare.
I doubt v much that AA prices their codeshares on QF based on earning AA miles; most people are not additicted to FF miles earning

Dave
Old Oct 31, 09, 2:12 am

For domestic travel it isnt too bad. Avoid the N/E class red-e-deal fares ; all other QF fares will earn to AA

Dave
Old Oct 31, 09, 9:01 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
For domestic travel it isnt too bad. Avoid the N/E class red-e-deal fares ; all other QF fares will earn to AA

Dave
Does Qantas still sell Q class?
Old Nov 1, 09, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by Spiff View Post
Does Qantas still sell Q class?
Internationally they do, but no normal domestic fares are in Q

Dave
Old Nov 1, 09, 1:07 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat, WN A-List Preferred
Thanks all for the advice. I'll see if I can claim mileage with Qantas on the flights that aren't accepted by AA.
Old Nov 2, 09, 2:58 pm

Dave

How do you check the booking class online before booking? If I click on the fare conditions it tells me that a fare is a Red-e-deal or Super Saver but I can't see where the booking class is shown.
Old Nov 2, 09, 3:16 pm

Programs: QF Platinum, VA Gold
Originally Posted by 3544quebec View Post
How do you check the booking class online before booking? If I click on the fare conditions it tells me that a fare is a Red-e-deal or Super Saver but I can't see where the booking class is shown.
Annoyingly - no easy way to do so. If you hunt through the HTML source on the Qantas booking summary page, the booking classes are listed there; otherwise it's not shown until after purchase.
Old Nov 2, 09, 3:18 pm

Found the answer in another thread -"Phone them"!
Old Dec 4, 09, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
EQMs on QF codeshare?

Am booked to fly BOM-SIN in J on QF 3950. This QF flight operated by Jet Air. Does this flight earn me AA EQM?
Quite important to me as I need these miles to get me over hump to EXP. Won't have opportunity for any more AA trips in this calendar year after this, so need to ensure I get EQM credit
Old Dec 4, 09, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
No, they won't. Jet is not a part of oneworld. The only way to get EQMs on Jet is to be on an AA-coded codeshare with Jet. A QF flight number with Jet won't cut it. Sorry.
Old Dec 5, 09, 8:02 am

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by AAExpDFW View Post
No, they won't. Jet is not a part of oneworld. The only way to get EQMs on Jet is to be on an AA-coded codeshare with Jet. A QF flight number with Jet won't cut it. Sorry.
Thx. Is misleading. If one didn't know that this flight was operated by QF, would think it was EQM eligible. So not all QF flight numbers are EQM eligible?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: