Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earning AA Miles on QF / Qantas Airways (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 8, 2016, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Earning AAdvantage miles on QF / Qantas Airways flights

For current information on AA mile and point earning rules (RDM, EQM) on flights marketed by Qantas / QF, please see the page on AA.com: link

NOTES: Qantas fares that are NOT mentioned (e.g., N, Q) do NOT earn any AAdvantage miles. Qantas marketed flights operated by Jetstar do NOT earn any AAdvantage EQ or award miles.

Qantas marketed flights operated by EY / Etihad Airways and several other non-oneworld airlines such as FJ do exceptionally earn AAdvantage miles; apply the QF earning chart here.

For AA marketed flights operated by QF, apply the AA earning charts.

NOTE: Thanks to the JBA, EQ earnings in Qantas have been increased in accordance with earning rates on AA, AY, BA, JB, JL as of October 2019. See Qantas and American Announce Expanded JBA Benefits Oct 2019

From Dave Noble's post below, for the discounted fares sold on Qantas' website:

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Red-e-deal N/E class - 50 % mileage earning
Red-e-deal O class - 50 % mileage earning
Super Savers - 50% mileage earning
Flexi Saver - 100% mileage earning
Fully Flexible -100% mileage earning

If booking red-e-deals , just check the booking class
For further information see:

[U]HELP DESK: Earning Elite Qualifying EQD, EQM & Award / RDM AA, Partners[/B]

QF Forum: How do you find the fare class on Qantas.com ?

[/COLOR]
Print Wikipost

Earning AA Miles on QF / Qantas Airways (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2018, 1:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ashill

Is QF still a challenge eligible airline since the failure of the joint venture application? Or did AA keep QF around hoping for a successful reapplication?
The thread listed in your quoted post has the terms and conditions for the Challenge in the Wikipost at the top,of the page, including

Q. Are there restrictions on earning EQM for the Challenge?

Yes. To qualify, EQM must be earned on flights marketed* by AA's Joint Business Venture partners:

AA American Airlines
AY Finnair
BA British Airways
IB Iberia
JL Japan Airlines
QF Qantas
Old Jun 18, 2018, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by JDiver
The thread listed in your quoted post has the terms and conditions for the Challenge in the Wikipost at the top,of the page, including
I know that's what the wiki says and I know that's how it was as of a year or two ago. (I wrote some of the wiki, and at one point the sample email in there was from me.) My question was whether it's changed since the AA/QF business agreement was rejected; I don't see any recent examples in the thread. I recall that other promos that include JBA partners no longer include QF, but haven't followed it closely; that's the only reason I asked: I suggest that if evantoday follows your advice and signs up for the challenge, be extra careful to confirm that QF-marketed flights count before putting down a credit card.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:23 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Any news on QF operated by NZ flights starting October 28? https://www.ausbt.com.au/earning-qan...ealand-flights explains the earning in the QF programme. I am wondering if a codeshare carve out similar to the Qantas coded Emirates operated carve out will occur.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
Any news on QF operated by NZ flights starting October 28? https://www.ausbt.com.au/earning-qan...ealand-flights explains the earning in the QF programme. I am wondering if a codeshare carve out similar to the Qantas coded Emirates operated carve out will occur.
The QF forum thread--> QF to codeshare with NZ
The QF codeshares will only be on Air NZ domestic flights within New Zealand. Expect will have to be a tag-on to international trans Tasman flight.
A lot different to EK-QF arrangement
Also read somewhere will not be codeshares on routes where JQ NZ fly, but not confirmed.

<snip>all flights fall into the 0-750 mile bracket. “There are no domestic New Zealand flights we codeshare on that are longer than that distance
Old Aug 6, 2018, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Aside from Jetstar being specifically mentioned as non earning exception, AA.com and anecdotes currently indicate all travel on QF flight numbers in appropriate fare buckets and routes will earn; irrespective of the operating carrier.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...nes/qantas.jsp

This may change before these QF*NZ codeshares commence.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I flew on QF on a ticket issued by UA recently, booked as an S fare. Forgot to put in my AA number for the QF flight when I checked in in SYD, and again on the return from PER-SYD. Went online to aa.com and it requires a ticket number, but rejects the UA ticket number. Any advice on how to get my (admittedly meagre) mileage credit would be much appreciated. thanks!
Old Oct 7, 2018, 6:04 pm

Earning AA miles on QF flight

Hello, I am flying Lax-Mel in J. Booked directly with QF and flying on QF. When I go to put in FF number through manage my booking, it gives several airline program options. AA is one of the options.

Can I earn AA miles even though not booked through AA or flying AA metal?

Thanks
Old Oct 7, 2018, 6:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Yes. You earn according to the QF table
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lrob
Hello, I am flying Lax-Mel in J. Booked directly with QF and flying on QF. When I go to put in FF number through manage my booking, it gives several airline program options. AA is one of the options.

Can I earn AA miles even though not booked through AA or flying AA metal?
Yes. That is the way alliance's & ff partners work
Does not need to be flying AA metal or booked through AA [what ever that means to you].

AA web site ----> https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...r-airlines.jsp
AA web site ----> https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...nes/qantas.jsp
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 1:47 am

Programs: LH HON
Eligible route (QF1)

Would QF1 SIN-LHR be eligible for mileage earning with AA?

Earn miles
To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Qantas marketed and operated flights as well as Qantas codeshare flights:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket in an eligible booking code
  • Fly an eligible route
AA.com states the following regarding regions:

Regions
Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Qantas within the South Pacific and between the South Pacific and:
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Canada
  • Europe
  • Middle East
  • South America
  • U.S.
Technically SIN-LHR is neither since it's Asia to Europe.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ckx2
Would QF1 SIN-LHR be eligible for mileage earning with AA?

Earn miles
To earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Qantas marketed and operated flights as well as Qantas codeshare flights:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket in an eligible booking code
  • Fly an eligible route
AA.com states the following regarding regions:

Regions
Earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Qantas within the South Pacific and between the South Pacific and:
  • Africa
  • Asia
  • Canada
  • Europe
  • Middle East
  • South America
  • U.S.
Technically SIN-LHR is neither since it's Asia to Europe.
I'm sure it's eligible and it's just that the AA website neglects to mention it as it is a one off. One must remember that QF 1 starts in SYD, has a layover in SIN, before continuing to LHR. One can purchase a ticket just to fly the SIN-LHR segment only though, and as it is a OW operated and marketed flight, it will earn AA credits according to the applicable charts.
ckx2 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
This is probably the only route (QF1/QF2 SIN/LHR) that does not come under the listed QF 'Eligible Routes'.

Don't worry, you will earn on AAvantage for SIN/LHR on Qantas when in an eligible fare bucket.

FWIW, you can also redeem on this route.

Last edited by serfty; Jan 14, 2019 at 12:54 pm
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:10 pm

I can confirm from personal experience that you can receive AA miles for this route.
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold
Flying Qantas for the first time next month. HKG-MEL and MEL-SIN, QF flight numbers and I put in my AA FF #. I know I’ll gear some partial mileage earning. I’m Platinum Pro, can I use my status to at least select seats ahead of time?
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Youngtraveldude
Flying Qantas for the first time next month. HKG-MEL and MEL-SIN, QF flight numbers and I put in my AA FF #. I know I’ll gear some partial mileage earning. I’m Platinum Pro, can I use my status to at least select seats ahead of time?
Just go the QF web site "manage booking" and try to select a seat. At T-80hrs more seat options can appear.
https://www.qantas.com/au/en.html?tabId=manage-booking
AA Platinum Pro = OW Sapphire and QF Gold = OW Sapphire

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.