Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LHR / London Heathrow Airport AA Arrivals Lounge (master thread)

Old Feb 20, 2013, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Genius1
London Heathrow Terminal 3 Landside Level 2
American Airlines Arrivals Lounge
(Please note this is not a oneworld lounge)

Location: LANDSIDE. Exit to the right after Terminal 3 Immigration and the Customs Hall, and take the stairs or elevator / lift (faces forex bureaux) to Level 2.
Hours: 6:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. (reduced hours - 2022)

Amenities:
  • 29 shower suites with C.O. Bigelow products
  • Hair dryers
  • Valet ironing service
  • Dental & shaving kits (by request)
  • Full breakfast & lunch buffet
  • Coffee, espresso & champagne (on request) bar
  • Wi-Fi
  • Temporary baggage stowage (while one visits)
  • Business Centre with individual workstations
  • Daily newspapers

See post #180 by CMK10 and post #291 by Genius1 for photos.

Access criteria
  • First and Business Class passengers arriving on American Airlines, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, and Qantas
  • AAdvantage Executive Platinum (including ConciergeKey)
  • Access available for qualifying individuals only (no guests)
  • Customers traveling on airline industry non-revenue tickets are not eligible for access without the purchase of an Arrivals Lounge Day Pass

Arrivals Lounge One-Day Passes are available for purchase for USD $90 + VAT to all other passengers* flying to London Heathrow upon arrival.

For further details
Link to LHR airport information on aa.com
Link to LHR airport website
Link to oneworld website Lounge Access and Lounge Finder tool

Older or obsolete posts through the August 2016 Arrivals Lounge reopening have been archived to ARCHIVE: LHR / London Heathrow Int'l. Apt. Terminal 3 AA Arrivals Lounge

Print Wikipost

LHR / London Heathrow Airport AA Arrivals Lounge (master thread)

Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Hey all, I'm flying MSY-LHR on BA into T5 in a few days and was thinking about venturing over to T3 to use the AA Arrivals Lounge since I have a long layover (I should be eligible as an EXP/OWE in Y according to AA.com). Is the AA T3 lounge any better than the BA T5 lounge? Or will this be a pointless trip?
Old Mar 26, 2017, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Hey all, I'm flying MSY-LHR on BA into T5 in a few days and was thinking about venturing over to T3 to use the AA Arrivals Lounge since I have a long layover (I should be eligible as an EXP/OWE in Y according to AA.com). Is the AA T3 lounge any better than the BA T5 lounge? Or will this be a pointless trip?
The AA showers are better than the BA ones, if for no other reason then they lack the constant sound of seals mating but unless your connection is in T3 I wouldn't haul all the way over there and would just use the BA lounge
Old Mar 27, 2017, 5:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ryan182
The AA showers are better than the BA ones, if for no other reason then they lack the constant sound of seals mating but unless your connection is in T3 I wouldn't haul all the way over there and would just use the BA lounge
I don't think you will have access to AA Arrival Lounge if your flight arrives in T5. AA showers are indeed better- though BA does accept special requests for breakfast (i.e. you can order eggs any style rather than eat from buffet) - while not advertised, its never been refused to me. AA lounge does not accommodate such requests
Old Mar 28, 2017, 1:14 am

Programs: AA EP
While they would have to transfer over to t3, they would have access...

British Airways

You can enter the Arrivals Lounge if you flew on British Airways to LHR on a same-day flight and are**:
  • Flying in First or Business Class
  • oneworld EmeraldSM
  • British Airways Premier

Originally Posted by Acid
I don't think you will have access to AA Arrival Lounge if your flight arrives in T5. AA showers are indeed better- though BA does accept special requests for breakfast (i.e. you can order eggs any style rather than eat from buffet) - while not advertised, its never been refused to me. AA lounge does not accommodate such requests
Old Mar 29, 2017, 12:08 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
If you're connecting at LHR, I don't know why you would like to use any Arrivals Lounge, unless the connection time is so long you have a chance to go into London proper for a meal, for example.

To access these lounges (AA at T3 or BA at T5), you need to clear UK immigration and then re-clear security to get back airside. Otherwise just use the F Lounge of your departing terminal for a shower and layover.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
If you're connecting at LHR, I don't know why you would like to use any Arrivals Lounge
I do sometimes if I want to get my suit and shirt pressed, as this is possible at the arrivals lounges but not airside.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat
Day Pass for LHR AA Arrivals Lounge

Quick question from first time poster. This wiki and other places on web suggest one can get a day pass for AA LHR arrivals lounge for $90 plus VAT. Woman who answered phone at Aadmirals Club customer service number didn't think that was true. Anyone have first hand experience?
Old Mar 29, 2017, 7:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by cyberkarl
Quick question from first time poster. This wiki and other places on web suggest one can get a day pass for AA LHR arrivals lounge for $90 plus VAT. Woman who answered phone at Aadmirals Club customer service number didn't think that was true. Anyone have first hand experience?
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Many years of experience with LHR Arrivals Lounge. The Club agent was wrong, unless AA has changed the access criteria recently without announcing it.
Old Mar 29, 2017, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by JDiver
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Many years of experience with LHR Arrivals Lounge. The Club agent was wrong, unless AA has changed the access criteria recently without announcing it.
Well, AA.COM used to reference the paid option - I no longer see it, so possibly a change with the remodel? Link
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum
So given arrivals lounge does not provide guests, I'd appreciate input on our best option with the following:

- I'm EXP/Emerald and have the Citi Prestige Card, AMEX Platinum & Priority Pass
- My wife is Gold/Ruby and has the Citi Prestige Card, AMEX Platinum & Priority Pass

We're flying LAX>LHR (flying AA metal) and then have a 4.5 layover before flying BA to JNB. Layover on the way back is a couple hours longer but looking for best option given the access we have. Apologies for listing all potential cards/memberships but just hoping someone can quickly say, "go to T-3 and you two should us x lounge, its the best." Appreciate any help here. Thanks all
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by sm82
So given arrivals lounge does not provide guests, I'd appreciate input on our best option with the following:

- I'm EXP/Emerald and have the Citi Prestige Card, AMEX Platinum & Priority Pass
- My wife is Gold/Ruby and has the Citi Prestige Card, AMEX Platinum & Priority Pass

We're flying LAX>LHR (flying AA metal) and then have a 4.5 layover before flying BA to JNB. Layover on the way back is a couple hours longer but looking for best option given the access we have. Apologies for listing all potential cards/memberships but just hoping someone can quickly say, "go to T-3 and you two should us x lounge, its the best." Appreciate any help here. Thanks all
Going to JNB, your best (and potentially only) option is the T5 Galleries First lounge. The lounge has okay food choices and a very good alcoholic beverage selection. There are showers available through the Elemis spa to freshen up in between flights. It can get crowded here, but the lounge is big and has many different, "neat" areas to sit. You'll be allowed one guest as an EXP/Emerald, so you can bring your wife.

Heading home to the USA, you have several good options. If you're flying AA back to the US from T3, go to the Cathay Pacific First Class Lounge. This is probably the nicest First lounge at Heathrow. There is good champagne, good alcoholic beverages, and a restaurant area that serves excellent food (I highly recommend the Dan Dan Mein). You'll be able to have a complete, full-service, restaurant-style meal here. It's so nice that everything is uncomfortably free. There are also some nice shower facilities. Both you and your wife will be allowed in since you're an AA EXP/Emerald.

You also have the BA T3 First lounge, which has an okay dine-on-demand area and decent champagne. If you're into Johnnie Walker, this lounge carries Blue Label. If you're looking to shower, this place has the dumpiest showers out of the AA, BA, and CX lounges.

The AA Flagship Lounge and AAdmirals Club are also available. The Flagship lounge is not bad, but I would only come here if I had a very short layover. If I have a long layover at LHR, I move to this lounge about one hour before my flight departs because they will announce boarding/delays/etc. This lounge also has very nice shower facilities.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
If you're connecting at LHR, I don't know why you would like to use any Arrivals Lounge, unless the connection time is so long you have a chance to go into London proper for a meal, for example.

To access these lounges (AA at T3 or BA at T5), you need to clear UK immigration and then re-clear security to get back airside. Otherwise just use the F Lounge of your departing terminal for a shower and layover.
The showers at T5 (arrivals or departures) are grim, whereas they are great in the AA arrivals lounge.

I had a long (6 hour) connection recently so went landside to use the AA Arrivals lounge for a shower and breakfast before taking the HEx to T5 and BA Galleries First for my onward flight.

Admittedly with shorter or T3-T3 connection you'd be better off staying airside, particularly with the T3-T3 connection as the CX lounge showers are great.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:55 pm

Going to JNB, your best (and potentially only) option is the T5 Galleries First lounge. The lounge has okay food choices and a very good alcoholic beverage selection. There are showers available through the Elemis spa to freshen up in between flights. It can get crowded here, but the lounge is big and has many different, "neat" areas to sit. You'll be allowed one guest as an EXP/Emerald, so you can bring your wife.

Heading home to the USA, you have several good options. If you're flying AA back to the US from T3, go to the Cathay Pacific First Class Lounge. This is probably the nicest First lounge at Heathrow. There is good champagne, good alcoholic beverages, and a restaurant area that serves excellent food (I highly recommend the Dan Dan Mein). You'll be able to have a complete, full-service, restaurant-style meal here. It's so nice that everything is uncomfortably free. There are also some nice shower facilities. Both you and your wife will be allowed in since you're an AA EXP/Emerald.

You also have the BA T3 First lounge, which has an okay dine-on-demand area and decent champagne. If you're into Johnnie Walker, this lounge carries Blue Label. If you're looking to shower, this place has the dumpiest showers out of the AA, BA, and CX lounges.

The AA Flagship Lounge and AAdmirals Club are also available. The Flagship lounge is not bad, but I would only come here if I had a very short layover. If I have a long layover at LHR, I move to this lounge about one hour before my flight departs because they will announce boarding/delays/etc. This lounge also has very nice shower facilities.
brewdog11, really appreciate the insight and taking the time to give all this information. Thanks!
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:56 pm

Oh, and wasn't aware there was a Cathay First Lounge there...we loved the one in Hong Kong we tried last year. They are definitely a change from Admiral Clubs in the states!!
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by sm82
Oh, and wasn't aware there was a Cathay First Lounge there...we loved the one in Hong Kong we tried last year. They are definitely a change from Admiral Clubs in the states!!

When connecting to get to JNB, just be aware that the T5 Galleries Lounge is in the main part of T5 and you'll likely be leaving from a satellite concourse of T5 (B and C gates). It can be easy to lose track of time, and the transfer to a satellite concourse can sometimes take longer than expected, so it might not be a bad idea to head to the satellite lounge when it gets closer to boarding time if you're leaving from the B gates. This lounge isn't as nice (it's a Business Class lounge), but it's still just fine.

If you've been to the Pier in HKG, it's just like that! Really a phenomenal lounge (they just finished renovations a few months ago). It puts all other lounges, especially the Admirals Club, to shame.

Hope this info helps, and if you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.