Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Exchange / Transfer 500-mile Upgrades (Stickers) to Miles (RDM) (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2014, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

As of 9 June 2014, "overseas" AAdvantage members can no longer convert 500 mile upgrade "stickers" to AAdvantage miles. (Post #136, JonNYC.)

Until recently (9 June 2014) it was possible for AAdvantage members living outside the 500 mile upgrade / "sticker" zone, e.g. deep South America, Asia, Europe, to exchange those unusable "stickers" for miles. This is no longer the case.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2007, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

I would like to give back Eight 500 - mile Upgrades ( so called stickers ) in exchange of Miles from American Airlines. How can I do that and How many miles they give for each sticker in return ?. Appreciate any response. I'm btw EXP.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

Based on the information in this thread:

• It IS possible to exchange or convert 500-mile electronic upgrades (stickers) to redeemable miles (RDM) at a rate of 500 miles per sticker. The stickers are supposed to have been earned rather than purchased. It may take multiple phone calls to AAdvantage Customer Service to find an agent to make this exchange, and the agent may require that your travel pattern does not allow you to use earned stickers (e.g., mostly paid J/F travel or international travel).

• It IS NOT possible to transfer 500-mile electronic upgrades (stickers) to other AAdvantage accounts.

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Sep 29, 2010 at 11:13 pm
Old Dec 20, 2007, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CO PLAT, SPG Gold
Pretty sure you're out of luck there. That is, they're not going to give you anything back so you may have to find a friend who wants to fly with you and use the stickers on him, or wait until you drop back to PLAT, if that ever happens.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 1:24 pm

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
I've been told, unofficially, that they will give you 500 miles/sticker. You can certainly call and ask. I also seem to recall reading that their trade-in value was once much higher. At the value I was told, it hardly seems worth it.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CO PLAT, SPG Gold
If that's the case, it seems like it would still be worth it to just hold onto them for the off chance of companion travel or when you drop down to PLAT. 4k miles is not much...especially when the things would cost $240 to buy.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 1:55 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
you could call aa cs & ask.....the scoop on ft for the last 10 yrs or so [15,20?] has been the 500/sticker....at one time, it was 2500...
Old Dec 20, 2007, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, Hilton Dia, SPG PT, National Exec Elite, MAR Silver, Ex UA 1K
I have heard in the past they offered to buy back stickers but no longer do this. Let me know if they will allow it.
Old Dec 20, 2007, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, spg gold, hhdiamond
if your travel patterns show that fly all or almost all international they will give you 500 per sticker... Awful deal but if they are of no use to you why not exchange them
Old Dec 21, 2007, 4:31 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, AAdvantage Platinum (1MM Lifetime Gold), Avis First
I wish I had that problem ..... I have miles and not enought stickers, but the rate to buy stickers with miles is just not worth it.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 4:45 am

I have done this many times in the past , stickers of little value at the time as I go most intntl . I have exchanged around 100 stickers at the time , do not recall exact miles given , but 500 could be correct. Believe the policy has changed from time to time , and you might have to lean on them a bit.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 11:23 am

Programs: a little here, a little there
It was about 7-9 years ago that I was able to trade stickers for miles, at a 1:2500 ratio. It helped that they could look at my travel history and see little to no domestic travel, and many international trips.

I think the consensus is:

1. You need to be able to show mainly international travel.
2. Current ratio, if offered, is 1:500.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by johnndor
,,,1. You need to be able to show mainly international travel...
Back in the day it wasn't quite that restrictive. You needed to be able to show mainly travel on which sticker upgrades can't be used. Besides international (by AA's definition; more accurately "overseas," as they can be used to Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean), this includes travel mainly in paid F or on RJs.

In any case, much less attractive now.
Old Dec 21, 2007, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Originally Posted by sinanju
I've been told, unofficially, that they will give you 500 miles/sticker. You can certainly call and ask. I also seem to recall reading that their trade-in value was once much higher. At the value I was told, it hardly seems worth it.
nevermind
Old Jul 20, 2008, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA - GLD; MR - GLD;
Converting Upgrade Stickers to Miles

I have not been travelling much this year on AA, and will most likely loosemy Status, unless they start the LGA-MSP flight again.

A coworker mentioned that I could turn my Upgrade Stickers into EQMs. Is this true? If so how many EQMs do you get per sticker?
Old Jul 20, 2008, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat), HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
I am pretty sure that this can’t be done, but if I am wrong, we'll know about it soon.

Regards....
Old Jul 20, 2008, 2:31 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Originally Posted by shocka
A coworker mentioned that I could turn my Upgrade Stickers into EQMs. Is this true? If so how many EQMs do you get per sticker?
You don't get any EQMs for converting stickers to miles, just straight miles. IIRC, converting stickers to miles is only an option for those who live outside the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.