Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it?

Link to oneworld web page “Emerald Privileges”

Executive Platinum status requirements: rack up 200,000 Loyalty Points in one calendar year

*See FT: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

(Members NO LONGER must fly at least 4 American Airlines marketed segments during the qualifying year to receive elite status.)

Status will last the current status year and the following status year - earn EP during 2019, your status ends 31 Jan 2021.

Preferred benefits:
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats
  • Up to three (3) free checked bags with oneworld benefit, 32 kg / 70 lbs ea. (extends to all traveling companions same PNR)
  • Minimum mileage guarantee available[/color] (for EQM only as of 1 Aug 2016)
  • 100% elite mileage bonus (changed to 11 Award miles per "fare dollar" (base fare plus carrier fees, not taxes) spent as of 1 Aug 2016)
  • Guaranteed Main Cabin seat availability [/color] (up to 24 hrs from departure)
  • Systemwide Upgrades (see below)
  • First class lounge access qualifying longhaul international and MEX** (see below)

Airport benefits
  • Check in at First Class counter)
  • Priority Lane / Fast Track through the airport at check-in, security and boarding (link) (see post #472 - link)
  • Checked bag fee waived for three (3) bags up to 70 lb / 32 kg
  • Priority baggage delivery
  • Complimentary same-day standby
  • Complimentary same-day flight change on American Airlines
  • Discounted Admirals Club® membership
  • Flagship Lounge and Admirals Club access on qualifying flights, regardless of class

Upgrade benefits (on AA)
  • 100-hour upgrade window
  • Flights* 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades
  • Flights* over 500 miles: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*
  • As of June 2017, Executive Platinum members can use their complimentary 500-mile upgrade benefits on AAdvantage® award tickets for travel on American from Main Cabin to the next class."
  • Courtesy 500 mile Upgrades confirmed before departure (as early as) 100 hours
  • *Upgrades on American are valid on American marketed and operated flights, within and between the U.S. (including Hawaii) and between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America (based on availability). Upgrades are valid from the Main Cabin to the next class of service.
  • Executive Platinum members DO NOT earn 500-mile upgrades.

Systemwide Upgrades (SWU)
You’ll receive four (4) systemwide upgrades (8 SWU years prior to c/y 2016 ) when you qualify or re-qualify for Executive Platinum status.
You may earn two more SWU at 150,000 EQM, and again at 200,000 EQM
SWU upgrades are valid, when available, for one-way travel on any American Airlines marketed and operated flight (up to 3 segments) and you can give them to anyone, even if you're not traveling with them.

Linkto further SWU information

Other benefits
  • Exclusive Executive Platinum service desk (actual separate dedicated call center staff)
  • Waived ticketing service charge
  • Guaranteed availability in the Main Cabin*
  • Waitlist priority for purchased First or Business Class (on American)
  • Complimentary alcoholic beverage and snack in the Main Cabin / coach (no, does not extend to traveling companion)
  • Complimentary preferred seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Two EP baggage tags
  • Exclusive partner offers

Award benefits
  • Extended MileSAAver award availability (must call EXP Desk, your FFN must be used during the award search, availability is not unlimited)
  • Award processing charge waived (awards within twenty-one days of travel)
  • AAdvantage award change and reinstatement charge waived (for awards reinstated to the EP member's account)
  • Special discounts on hotel and car awards

oneworld benefits*
  • oneworld priority check-in and standby
  • oneworld priority boarding
  • oneworld priority security
  • oneworld partner lounge access** First Class and frequent flyer lounges
  • Extended 3 bags and weight (32 kg / 70 lbs ea.)

*oneworld benefits are available only to passengers on scheduled flights that are both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline (marketed means that there must be a oneworld member airline flight number on your ticket).
**AAdvantage member access to American Airlines lounges excluded (regardless of status or class of service) if traveling within North America or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

Link to aa.com guide to AAdvantage Elite benefits (all levels)

Link to aa.com AAdvantage Elite Status benefit comparison charts

Link to aa.com [b]Elite Status Benefit Guide

Previous posts: Archive: Is EXP / Executive Platinum worth it? What are the benefits? (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:29 am

one world emeralds on AA can check bags up to 70lbs at no extra charge (so not dependent on cabin class). I am not clear whether 3 bag limit apply to other guests on same reservation as ExPlatinum though despite the language on AA alluding to that: ( Checked bag fee waived: The checked bag fees will be waived for all elite members and guests traveling on the same reservation (excluding group reservations) for travel in the Main Cabin on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines or marketed by American or American Eagle®.) Would be interesting to know.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by LilZeppelin
one world emeralds on AA can check bags up to 70lbs at no extra charge (so not dependent on cabin class).
My error there. Being wrong is not always bad.
aragno likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:17 pm

Are the expanded milesaaver awards a myth? To be honest, I just look online and book awards when needed and have never actually called to try and book a saaver award when only anytime awards show as available. What is others experience?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by jrb CO
Are the expanded milesaaver awards a myth? To be honest, I just look online and book awards when needed and have never actually called to try and book a saaver award when only anytime awards show as available. What is others experience?
Expanded award availability is not a myth, but in my experience is very rare in recent years.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Hello! I want to change an existing award ticket from SJD-PHX-JFK to SJD-ORD-LGA (they're the same amount of miles). Do I call EXP desk to do this or do I have to call AAdv. to process this without the charge? Is it possible to even do this or do I have to cancel and redeposit the original and then book my new desired routing on my own? TIA!
Old Jan 7, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Hello! I want to change an existing award ticket from SJD-PHX-JFK to SJD-ORD-LGA (they're the same amount of miles). Do I call EXP desk to do this or do I have to call AAdv. to process this without the charge? Is it possible to even do this or do I have to cancel and redeposit the original and then book my new desired routing on my own? TIA!
Call EXP desk. They can change and there is no fee for EXP.

They will issue a new ticket. I don't think they have to cancel and reissue the reward.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
oneworld Emerald (including AA Concierge Key and Executive Platinum) are eligible to access Fast Track or Priority Lanes at security checkpoints at specified airport terminals (in the case illustrated below, London Heathrow terminal 3, and also include arrival immigration), when travelling on a oneworld marketed and operated flight.(no such benefit is available if arriving at or departing any other terminal, or via a non-oneworld carrier marketed or operated flight.)

Link to oneworld Emerald Privileges web page detailing this benefit (has a tool to check various airport Fast Track & Priority Lane programmes offering Emerald Access). (Fast Track Access for LHR T-3 shown below; T-5 applies to passengers travelling on British Airways and Iberia only.)

Attached Images  

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 11, 2019 at 12:11 pm
Old Mar 15, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I just received a no cost change for some tickets I booked for my son and I to fly to LA for the weekend. I had booked as 2 one ways and stupidly booked the return for the wrong day, making the stay incredibly short. I noticed this morning and called in, the EXP agent was very nice and called the rate desk to see what they could do. In the end, the change fee would have eaten up any value and so I was looking at $250+ each ticket to move to Monday. They actually wound up rebooking us for a small $40 per ticket collect because the fare class we booked in wasnt available on Monday's flight.
JDiver, GTITAN and ralphs like this.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
If I preorder a meal in Y on the website, will it be free on board as meals for EXPs are supposed to be, or will they charge me since I preordered? Thanks.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 8:49 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
If I preorder a meal in Y on the website, will it be free on board as meals for EXPs are supposed to be, or will they charge me since I preordered? Thanks.
It will be free!

Old Mar 15, 2019, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
It will be free.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 1:59 pm

EXP best benefit?

Title
Old Jul 27, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
JDiver and jcatman like this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Flagship check in and 3 checked bags..
Old Jul 27, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
SWU and Flagship lounge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.