Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it?

Link to oneworld web page “Emerald Privileges”

Executive Platinum status requirements: rack up 200,000 Loyalty Points in one calendar year

*See FT: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

(Members NO LONGER must fly at least 4 American Airlines marketed segments during the qualifying year to receive elite status.)

Status will last the current status year and the following status year - earn EP during 2019, your status ends 31 Jan 2021.

Preferred benefits:
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats
  • Up to three (3) free checked bags with oneworld benefit, 32 kg / 70 lbs ea. (extends to all traveling companions same PNR)
  • Minimum mileage guarantee available[/color] (for EQM only as of 1 Aug 2016)
  • 100% elite mileage bonus (changed to 11 Award miles per "fare dollar" (base fare plus carrier fees, not taxes) spent as of 1 Aug 2016)
  • Guaranteed Main Cabin seat availability [/color] (up to 24 hrs from departure)
  • Systemwide Upgrades (see below)
  • First class lounge access qualifying longhaul international and MEX** (see below)

Airport benefits
  • Check in at First Class counter)
  • Priority Lane / Fast Track through the airport at check-in, security and boarding (link) (see post #472 - link)
  • Checked bag fee waived for three (3) bags up to 70 lb / 32 kg
  • Priority baggage delivery
  • Complimentary same-day standby
  • Complimentary same-day flight change on American Airlines
  • Discounted Admirals Club® membership
  • Flagship Lounge and Admirals Club access on qualifying flights, regardless of class

Upgrade benefits (on AA)
  • 100-hour upgrade window
  • Flights* 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades
  • Flights* over 500 miles: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*
  • As of June 2017, Executive Platinum members can use their complimentary 500-mile upgrade benefits on AAdvantage® award tickets for travel on American from Main Cabin to the next class."
  • Courtesy 500 mile Upgrades confirmed before departure (as early as) 100 hours
  • *Upgrades on American are valid on American marketed and operated flights, within and between the U.S. (including Hawaii) and between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America (based on availability). Upgrades are valid from the Main Cabin to the next class of service.
  • Executive Platinum members DO NOT earn 500-mile upgrades.

Systemwide Upgrades (SWU)
You’ll receive four (4) systemwide upgrades (8 SWU years prior to c/y 2016 ) when you qualify or re-qualify for Executive Platinum status.
You may earn two more SWU at 150,000 EQM, and again at 200,000 EQM
SWU upgrades are valid, when available, for one-way travel on any American Airlines marketed and operated flight (up to 3 segments) and you can give them to anyone, even if you're not traveling with them.

Linkto further SWU information

Other benefits
  • Exclusive Executive Platinum service desk (actual separate dedicated call center staff)
  • Waived ticketing service charge
  • Guaranteed availability in the Main Cabin*
  • Waitlist priority for purchased First or Business Class (on American)
  • Complimentary alcoholic beverage and snack in the Main Cabin / coach (no, does not extend to traveling companion)
  • Complimentary preferred seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Two EP baggage tags
  • Exclusive partner offers

Award benefits
  • Extended MileSAAver award availability (must call EXP Desk, your FFN must be used during the award search, availability is not unlimited)
  • Award processing charge waived (awards within twenty-one days of travel)
  • AAdvantage award change and reinstatement charge waived (for awards reinstated to the EP member's account)
  • Special discounts on hotel and car awards

oneworld benefits*
  • oneworld priority check-in and standby
  • oneworld priority boarding
  • oneworld priority security
  • oneworld partner lounge access** First Class and frequent flyer lounges
  • Extended 3 bags and weight (32 kg / 70 lbs ea.)

*oneworld benefits are available only to passengers on scheduled flights that are both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline (marketed means that there must be a oneworld member airline flight number on your ticket).
**AAdvantage member access to American Airlines lounges excluded (regardless of status or class of service) if traveling within North America or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

Link to aa.com guide to AAdvantage Elite benefits (all levels)

Link to aa.com AAdvantage Elite Status benefit comparison charts

Link to aa.com [b]Elite Status Benefit Guide

Previous posts: Archive: Is EXP / Executive Platinum worth it? What are the benefits? (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2015, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
One has a year from original date of ticket issue to use the value. EXP status does not waive the underlying change fee specific to the fare rule for purchased tickets.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
^ to expand, the only fee that is waived for an EXP is the fee to redeposit miles for award travel.

Otherwise, as stated above, EXP gets you nothing on change fees/penalties.

There are two semi-independent issues you raise: refundable and change fee.

A ticket can be non-refundable AND non-changeable.

or non-refundable and 'change fee'

or non-refundable and no change fee.

Which do you have? In any event, your question- will EXP waive change fees- has been addressed: No.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 3:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I see you consistently use "Platnium", even in your Starwood level in your profile. That'll make threads hard to search, because the rare metal you want is Pla-ti-num, Platinum.

And we don't get any breaks on non-award ticket cancellations or ticket change and fee waivers.

But, some members have typically been successful at securing refunds if the schedule has changed significantly - say ninety minutes or more - since the ticket was issued.

I'll change the thread title; you may want to amend your FT profile. /Mod

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 14, 2015 at 5:54 pm
Old Jan 14, 2015, 4:29 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
^ to expand, the only fee that is waived for an EXP is the fee to redeposit miles for award travel.

Otherwise, as stated above, EXP gets you nothing on change fees/penalties.

There are two semi-independent issues you raise: refundable and change fee.

A ticket can be non-refundable AND non-changeable.

or non-refundable and 'change fee'

or non-refundable and no change fee.

Which do you have? In any event, your question- will EXP waive change fees- has been addressed: No.
Incorrect. Exps no longer incur a fee for CFC.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
to expand, the only fee that is waived for an EXP is the fee to redeposit miles for award travel.
Originally Posted by sukn
Incorrect. Exps no longer incur a fee for CFC.
EXPs don't pay a phone ticketing fee either. Or certain luggage fees.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks. Looking forward to the combined program and finally being able to use those SWU's!

Feel free to remove if this is not the correct place, but I'm hoping some AAdvantage vets can help me understand the ExPlat upgrade process - specifically, email notifications of successful (or not successful) upgrades.

On US, a Chairman's would get an email, typically in the 4am-7am ET timeframe, seven days before each of your flights, saying "yes you've been upgraded" or "no, upgrades aren't available yet." That email consistently came in that window, regardless of what time of day your flight was.

Is this different given the 100 hour window for ExPlats? I'm wondering because I have a flight at 10:40pm (PT) on Friday, which is roughly 88 hours from now, but I haven't seen any email or communication about a successful or non-successful upgrade.

I didn't know whether to write this off to things still getting in-sync from the program merger over the weekend, or if this was typical.

Thanks for any insight!
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by DCdeacon
Thanks. Looking forward to the combined program and finally being able to use those SWU's!

Feel free to remove if this is not the correct place, but I'm hoping some AAdvantage vets can help me understand the ExPlat upgrade process - specifically, email notifications of successful (or not successful) upgrades.

On US, a Chairman's would get an email, typically in the 4am-7am ET timeframe, seven days before each of your flights, saying "yes you've been upgraded" or "no, upgrades aren't available yet." That email consistently came in that window, regardless of what time of day your flight was.

Is this different given the 100 hour window for ExPlats? I'm wondering because I have a flight at 10:40pm (PT) on Friday, which is roughly 88 hours from now, but I haven't seen any email or communication about a successful or non-successful upgrade.

I didn't know whether to write this off to things still getting in-sync from the program merger over the weekend, or if this was typical.

Thanks for any insight!
It used to be a lot of us heard ~100 or fewer hours out - but it may, on high demand flights, come down to T-24 or even at the airport. The best thing is to check your online PNR and see if changes have occurred.

The new AA prefers to sell than upgrade, not surprising, but CP / EXP still get good SWU use (though Y to J on a busier DFW-HKG flight is likely to have lots of would-be upgrades - "snag MCE and hope" is the usual advice on this one.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: US CP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Thanks for starting this. Another noob EP question from a US CP.

I noticed under the benefits list for EPs that they have access to an "expanded" inventory of mileage saver awards but you have to call in. Is this a real perk where there really is more inventory or is it merely a perk in name only? Thanks.

Go Gators
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by GNVGator
Thanks for starting this. Another noob EP question from a US CP.

I noticed under the benefits list for EPs that they have access to an "expanded" inventory of mileage saver awards but you have to call in. Is this a real perk where there really is more inventory or is it merely a perk in name only? Thanks.

Go Gators
No, it's really expanded inventory we can't see and must call in for (EXP Desk). As an EXP the last ~13 years, I've been able - not always, as there are sometimes high-demand low-supply times like, er, Spring Break (dozens of standbys etc. this last weekend on my flights to SXM) - to avail myself of expanded MileSAAver inventory, etc.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
It used to be a lot of us heard ~100 or fewer hours out - but it may, on high demand flights, come down to T-24 or even at the airport. The best thing is to check your online PNR and see if changes have occurred.

The new AA prefers to sell than upgrade, not surprising, but CP / EXP still get good SWU use (though Y to J on a busier DFW-HKG flight is likely to have lots of would-be upgrades - "snag MCE and hope" is the usual advice on this one.
Okay, so you're saying you only get an email if you were successfully upgraded, correct?

That's just a difference from the DM program, where you got one at your window regardless of success or failure of the upgrade (you would get another email after that if you were unsuccessful at the window but were later upgraded), so just making sure I know what to expect. Thanks!
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by DCdeacon
Okay, so you're saying you only get an email if you were successfully upgraded, correct?

That's just a difference from the DM program, where you got one at your window regardless of success or failure of the upgrade (you would get another email after that if you were unsuccessful at the window but were later upgraded), so just making sure I know what to expect. Thanks!
Yes, and don't think of the window as a magic time at which you expect upgrades to clear. Instead, consider it the earliest time the upgrade can clear. For EXPs, upgrades can autoclear at anytime between T-100 and T-4. If it hasn't cleared at T-4 then it could still clear at the airport a few minutes before boarding.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:04 am

Programs: US CP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by JDiver
No, it's really expanded inventory we can't see and must call in for (EXP Desk). As an EXP the last ~13 years, I've been able - not always, as there are sometimes high-demand low-supply times like, er, Spring Break (dozens of standbys etc. this last weekend on my flights to SXM) - to avail myself of expanded MileSAAver inventory, etc.
Does that include IB and BA?

Have fun in SXM, be sure to go to sunset bar and pinel island. Most relaxing day of my life was spent on pinel island...

Go Gators
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by GNVGator
Does that include IB and BA?

Have fun in SXM, be sure to go to sunset bar and pinel island. Most relaxing day of my life was spent on pinel island...

Go Gators
My understanding is that it is AA (and hopefully now also US) only.
[Somewhat] similarly, AAnytime awards are AA (and again, hopeful now also US) only.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:48 am

Another question for you guys - is there an ExPlat email account? The Chairman's Preferred email desk was fantastic, usually got a response within a couple of hours, I often ended up sending an email instead of calling. I'm not asking for that address to be publicly posted, but just wondering if something similar exists (if it does, assuming I'll get the address when new ExPlat credentials are sent out, hopefully sooner rather than later!).
Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:07 am

Programs: US, HH
I asked the EXP desk when I called last week and was told no. Which is a shame, simple matters were much easier to just send an email.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.