Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (master thd)

Old Aug 13, 2014, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it?

Link to oneworld web page Emerald Privileges

Executive Platinum status requirements: rack up 200,000 Loyalty Points in one calendar year

*See FT: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

(Members NO LONGER must fly at least 4 American Airlines marketed segments during the qualifying year to receive elite status.)

Status will last the current status year and the following status year - earn EP during 2019, your status ends 31 Jan 2021.

Preferred benefits:
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats
  • Up to three (3) free checked bags with oneworld benefit, 32 kg / 70 lbs ea. (extends to all traveling companions same PNR)
  • Minimum mileage guarantee available[/color] (for EQM only as of 1 Aug 2016)
  • 100% elite mileage bonus (changed to 11 Award miles per "fare dollar" (base fare plus carrier fees, not taxes) spent as of 1 Aug 2016)
  • Guaranteed Main Cabin seat availability [/color] (up to 24 hrs from departure)
  • Systemwide Upgrades (see below)
  • First class lounge access qualifying longhaul international and MEX** (see below)

Airport benefits
  • Check in at First Class counter)
  • Priority Lane / Fast Track through the airport at check-in, security and boarding (link) (see post #472 - link)
  • Checked bag fee waived for three (3) bags up to 70 lb / 32 kg
  • Priority baggage delivery
  • Complimentary same-day standby
  • Complimentary same-day flight change on American Airlines
  • Discounted Admirals Club membership
  • Flagship Lounge and Admirals Club access on qualifying flights, regardless of class

Upgrade benefits (on AA)
  • 100-hour upgrade window
  • Flights* 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades
  • Flights* over 500 miles: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*
  • As of June 2017, Executive Platinum members can use their complimentary 500-mile upgrade benefits on AAdvantage award tickets for travel on American from Main Cabin to the next class."
  • Courtesy 500 mile Upgrades confirmed before departure (as early as) 100 hours
  • *Upgrades on American are valid on American marketed and operated flights, within and between the U.S. (including Hawaii) and between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America (based on availability). Upgrades are valid from the Main Cabin to the next class of service.
  • Executive Platinum members DO NOT earn 500-mile upgrades.

Systemwide Upgrades (SWU)
Youll receive four (4) systemwide upgrades (8 SWU years prior to c/y 2016 ) when you qualify or re-qualify for Executive Platinum status.
You may earn two more SWU at 150,000 EQM, and again at 200,000 EQM
SWU upgrades are valid, when available, for one-way travel on any American Airlines marketed and operated flight (up to 3 segments) and you can give them to anyone, even if you're not traveling with them.

Linkto further SWU information

Other benefits
  • Exclusive Executive Platinum service desk (actual separate dedicated call center staff)
  • Waived ticketing service charge
  • Guaranteed availability in the Main Cabin*
  • Waitlist priority for purchased First or Business Class (on American)
  • Complimentary alcoholic beverage and snack in the Main Cabin / coach (no, does not extend to traveling companion)
  • Complimentary preferred seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Two EP baggage tags
  • Exclusive partner offers

Award benefits
  • Extended MileSAAver award availability (must call EXP Desk, your FFN must be used during the award search, availability is not unlimited)
  • Award processing charge waived (awards within twenty-one days of travel)
  • AAdvantage award change and reinstatement charge waived (for awards reinstated to the EP member's account)
  • Special discounts on hotel and car awards

oneworld benefits*
  • oneworld priority check-in and standby
  • oneworld priority boarding
  • oneworld priority security
  • oneworld partner lounge access** First Class and frequent flyer lounges
  • Extended 3 bags and weight (32 kg / 70 lbs ea.)

*oneworld benefits are available only to passengers on scheduled flights that are both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline (marketed means that there must be a oneworld member airline flight number on your ticket).
**AAdvantage member access to American Airlines lounges excluded (regardless of status or class of service) if traveling within North America or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

Link to aa.com guide to AAdvantage Elite benefits (all levels)

Link to aa.com AAdvantage Elite Status benefit comparison charts

Link to aa.com [b]Elite Status Benefit Guide

Previous posts: Archive: Is EXP / Executive Platinum worth it? What are the benefits? (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (master thd)

Old Jan 11, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: AA EXP; UAMM
Originally Posted by vasantn
How would you get an auto-upgrade for June now??? That is a little bit beyond the 100-hour window by my rough mental calculation.
Oops. I was confusing SWUs with domestic UGs.

But to push the point beyond the probable, if I were to request an UG while a EXP for a June 2014 flight, would the request flow from my status when the UG request was made, i.e. my status in the PNR or would the system look at my then-current status to decide on the UG?

A bit more complicated and unlikely, but it would seem to depend on how the AA UG system operates. Anybody know?
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Here's a new one for me. Wife and I traveling to GRU from JFK on an economy ticket. I paid for part of my ticket with a $300 voucher for a voluntary bump and and with a $100 coupon toward my wife's fare. Did this on the phone, at first with CK then EXP later after being discharged from CK. Flight is this Friday. Called to see how we were doing on requested SWU upgrade. Was told I was higher priority due to EXP but my wife was below GLD (she has no status) because the PNR was not merged. When I asked why the PNR wasn't merged as I had requested so that my wife would have the same priority as me, they said they couldn't be merged because I used a voucher for part of the payment. I didn't see anything in the T&C about this restriction.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by george 3
Here's a new one for me. Wife and I traveling to GRU from JFK on an economy ticket. I paid for part of my ticket with a $300 voucher for a voluntary bump and and with a $100 coupon toward my wife's fare. Did this on the phone, at first with CK then EXP later after being discharged from CK. Flight is this Friday. Called to see how we were doing on requested SWU upgrade. Was told I was higher priority due to EXP but my wife was below GLD (she has no status) because the PNR was not merged. When I asked why the PNR wasn't merged as I had requested so that my wife would have the same priority as me, they said they couldn't be merged because I used a voucher for part of the payment. I didn't see anything in the T&C about this restriction.
It had nothing to do with the T&Cs of the voucher. You had to be on separate PNRs because the ticketing for each reservation was different. Same as if you had paid for them with different credit cards. Once separated, PNRs can never be merged back into a single PNR. The best they can do is put a note in one referring to the other but it has no effect on automated processes like upgrades.

When you get to the airport, an agent may be able to manipulate the list to get her closer to you. No guarantees, however.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Question is EXP really worth it?

Hello guys,

After many years being platinum, I am about to hit EXP this year. By september I will have 90k Points and I will be only 10k points away from EXP. I could book a flight in Business Class for 10k Points and I would have to pay $1,000 to get the ticket and flight (same day return).

My question is:

Is it really worth EXP compared to PLT?

I usually travel in a normal year (round trips):

2 times to europe, 1 time to asia, 3 times to the caribbean, 1 time to mexico, 2 times to Latin America, 8 times in the US.

I usually dont reach EXP because sometimes I use other airlines to fly business internationally.

Thanks in advance for your help
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
If you fly on AA metal then surely the SWU's are worth it alone. Probably you have enough 500 mile upgrades to cover your (relatively few) domestic trips, but you'll be a bit higher up in the line for them now. I say get EXP for sure.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ericgdukie44
If you fly on AA metal then surely the SWU's are worth it alone. Probably you have enough 500 mile upgrades to cover your (relatively few) domestic trips, but you'll be a bit higher up in the line for them now. I say get EXP for sure.
thanks for the input.

I ve read that SWU dont clear many times, is it true? I usually book at least 15 days prior.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 2:01 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lotrbfme
I ve read that SWU dont clear many times, is it true? I usually book at least 15 days prior.
I think it definitely depends on the route you're flying. If you have a little flexibility, you can select flights/routes that have slightly better chance of clearing - but as usual, your mileage may vary.

Thread merged with existing thread discussion the worth/value of EXP status. Thanks. /Moderator
Old Aug 13, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
thanks for the input.

I’ve had very good luck with TATL trips booking with that lead time. But for me, it’s almost always day of departure from DFW to LHR or FRA, but no problem from MIA->LHR, and never had an issue from JFK->LHR.

TRANSCON stuff, 1 leg between the coasts: I have not tried w/SWUs or upgrades since I rarely travel that way.

EXP is (or has been for me) absolutely worth it for domestic upgrades. I am probably 99% the last few years including thru high-demand DFW and SFO.

Where do you start your travel and where are your returning from on your trips? That may shape some of the advice you’ll get. For example out of DCA I have few issues w/EXP upgrades on the way out as a rule. May be a different story in the NYC area (JFK) although starting a 1st leg from a dense EXP area like MIA or SFO - I’ve done OK - while others may report otherwise!

Last edited by AATrout; Aug 13, 2014 at 4:30 pm Reason: edit: did not see your route clarification before I posted but as indicated - MIA has been OK for me//
Old Aug 13, 2014, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by AATrout
Ive had very good luck with TATL trips booking with that lead time. But for me, its almost always day of departure from DFW to LHR or FRA, but no problem from MIA->LHR, and never had an issue from JFK->LHR.

TRANSCON stuff, 1 leg between the coasts: I have not tried w/SWUs or upgrades since I rarely travel that way.

EXP is (or has been for me) absolutely worth it for domestic upgrades. I am probably 99% the last few years including thru high-demand DFW and SFO.

Where do you start your travel and where are your returning from on your trips? That may shape some of the advice youll get. For example out of DCA I have few issues w/EXP upgrades on the way out as a rule. May be a different story in the NYC area (JFK) although starting a 1st leg from a dense EXP area like MIA or SFO - Ive done OK - while others may report otherwise!
Thanks for the info!

I am based in Miami/Ft Lauderdale Area

Each years my long routes are:

Miami to berlin
Miami to paris
Miami to Mexico city
Miami to Buenos Aires
Miami to Narita

are these too crowded?
Old Aug 13, 2014, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Thanks in advance for your help
Assuming you'd use all 8 SWUs on long-haul domestic or international flights next year, it is truly a no brainer: that's the equivalent of like 120k-200k miles in upgrades, and if you fly low-cost coach, $1200-$2800 in co-pays for the upgrades.

$1000 is pretty cheap for all that. Also has made a big difference in my domestic upgrade percentage.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
After many years being platinum, I am about to hit EXP this year. By september I will have 90k Points and I will be only 10k points away from EXP. I could book a flight in Business Class for 10k Points and I would have to pay $1,000 to get the ticket and flight (same day return).
I agree there is a vast difference between EXP and Plat. Free domestic upgrades that almost always clear, free food and booze in Y if you don't clear, SWUs, free award changes and redeposits, and overall better service.

Plat is a wasted tier IMO. My wife is Plat this year and has seen little benefit over her prior year as Gold. If you're #1 or #2 on the upgrade list after all seats are full, you're just as non-upgraded as if you were #22. Indeed, the only flights she has been upgraded on this year are those in which the entire list cleared.

In your case, since there are 4.5 months left in the year I wouldn't rush out and spend $1,000 on a MR just to accelerate your EXP status. It will come soon enough with your normal flying.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 11:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Stripe
I agree there is a vast difference between EXP and Plat. Free domestic upgrades that almost always clear, free food and booze in Y if you don't clear, SWUs, free award changes and redeposits, and overall better service.
I think we sometimes forget the value of those benefits. I cancelled 3 RT awards this week on Qantas from HKG to BNE for travel next week. No charge for that at the EXP level, but if you were Platinum that would have cost $150 for the first ticket and $25 each for the second and third, assuming those miles all came from one single account. If each of these flyers booked from their own account and were not EXP, that would be $150 X 3.

I was Platinum for the first five months of 2002 (comped from UA 1K), and made EXP at that point and haven't looked back. I just can't imagine surrendering the perks I've become so used to now. In the next two weeks I'll be in both Hong Kong and Singapore taking advantage of Cathay Pacific F lounges, and my systemwide upgrade in the days ahead has cleared DFW-HKG (plus two other prior round trips this year to ICN and MAD). Things might change in the years to come, but to me AA still has the best top tier elite program. As a former UA flyer, the best benefit for me right now is the no-buy-up systemwides at AA. UA flyers know where I'm coming from here.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 6:45 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I had a recent ticket on hold to Hawaii with my SWUs cleared for the whole trip....my week got so busy I forgot to actually purchase it. I called the morning after the expiration night and the EXP desk got me back my fare and seats and all was good. Very good service that time! Plus I am about 97% on all upgrades this year.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 10:36 am

Thank you all,

I still have some trips to be done this year and I will qualify for the first time to EXP.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 12:58 pm

Programs: American Airlines EXP, Starwood Platnium, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Fee for a cancelled ticket for an Executive Platinum?

I have a non-refundable ticket I am thinking about canceling. If I cancel it I get to use the value of that ticket towards future travel up to a year, correct?

When I go to use that ticket will there be a fee to use it since I am an Executive Platnium?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.