Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (master thd)

Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it?

Link to oneworld web page “Emerald Privileges”

Executive Platinum status requirements: rack up 200,000 Loyalty Points in one calendar year

*See FT: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

(Members NO LONGER must fly at least 4 American Airlines marketed segments during the qualifying year to receive elite status.)

Status will last the current status year and the following status year - earn EP during 2019, your status ends 31 Jan 2021.

Preferred benefits:
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats
  • Up to three (3) free checked bags with oneworld benefit, 32 kg / 70 lbs ea. (extends to all traveling companions same PNR)
  • Minimum mileage guarantee available[/color] (for EQM only as of 1 Aug 2016)
  • 100% elite mileage bonus (changed to 11 Award miles per "fare dollar" (base fare plus carrier fees, not taxes) spent as of 1 Aug 2016)
  • Guaranteed Main Cabin seat availability [/color] (up to 24 hrs from departure)
  • Systemwide Upgrades (see below)
  • First class lounge access qualifying longhaul international and MEX** (see below)

Airport benefits
  • Check in at First Class counter)
  • Priority Lane / Fast Track through the airport at check-in, security and boarding (link) (see post #472 - link)
  • Checked bag fee waived for three (3) bags up to 70 lb / 32 kg
  • Priority baggage delivery
  • Complimentary same-day standby
  • Complimentary same-day flight change on American Airlines
  • Discounted Admirals Club® membership
  • Flagship Lounge and Admirals Club access on qualifying flights, regardless of class

Upgrade benefits (on AA)
  • 100-hour upgrade window
  • Flights* 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades
  • Flights* over 500 miles: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*
  • As of June 2017, Executive Platinum members can use their complimentary 500-mile upgrade benefits on AAdvantage® award tickets for travel on American from Main Cabin to the next class."
  • Courtesy 500 mile Upgrades confirmed before departure (as early as) 100 hours
  • *Upgrades on American are valid on American marketed and operated flights, within and between the U.S. (including Hawaii) and between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America (based on availability). Upgrades are valid from the Main Cabin to the next class of service.
  • Executive Platinum members DO NOT earn 500-mile upgrades.

Systemwide Upgrades (SWU)
You’ll receive four (4) systemwide upgrades (8 SWU years prior to c/y 2016 ) when you qualify or re-qualify for Executive Platinum status.
You may earn two more SWU at 150,000 EQM, and again at 200,000 EQM
SWU upgrades are valid, when available, for one-way travel on any American Airlines marketed and operated flight (up to 3 segments) and you can give them to anyone, even if you're not traveling with them.

Linkto further SWU information

Other benefits
  • Exclusive Executive Platinum service desk (actual separate dedicated call center staff)
  • Waived ticketing service charge
  • Guaranteed availability in the Main Cabin*
  • Waitlist priority for purchased First or Business Class (on American)
  • Complimentary alcoholic beverage and snack in the Main Cabin / coach (no, does not extend to traveling companion)
  • Complimentary preferred seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Two EP baggage tags
  • Exclusive partner offers

Award benefits
  • Extended MileSAAver award availability (must call EXP Desk, your FFN must be used during the award search, availability is not unlimited)
  • Award processing charge waived (awards within twenty-one days of travel)
  • AAdvantage award change and reinstatement charge waived (for awards reinstated to the EP member's account)
  • Special discounts on hotel and car awards

oneworld benefits*
  • oneworld priority check-in and standby
  • oneworld priority boarding
  • oneworld priority security
  • oneworld partner lounge access** First Class and frequent flyer lounges
  • Extended 3 bags and weight (32 kg / 70 lbs ea.)

*oneworld benefits are available only to passengers on scheduled flights that are both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline (marketed means that there must be a oneworld member airline flight number on your ticket).
**AAdvantage member access to American Airlines lounges excluded (regardless of status or class of service) if traveling within North America or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

Link to aa.com guide to AAdvantage Elite benefits (all levels)

Link to aa.com AAdvantage Elite Status benefit comparison charts

Link to aa.com [b]Elite Status Benefit Guide

Previous posts: Archive: Is EXP / Executive Platinum worth it? What are the benefits? (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (master thd)

Old Aug 17, 2022, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by ccuser11
where can I find counter for flown segment?
With all OW and award flights in mix, it is hard to keep manual count. I swear it was on AA account page but I can't find it anymore.TIA
It's buried in "Promotions"...

Where does one see segment counter?
ccuser11 likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
Expanded award availability is not a myth, but in my experience is very rare in recent years.
Does anybody actually have any examples of this existing? It seems like it is at least a myth nowadays.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Does anybody actually have any examples of this existing? It seems like it is at least a myth nowadays.
It's a complete myth and was verified by a PM via twitter I received by AA sometime ago (That I also posted here).

Myth city.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
It's a complete myth and was verified by a PM via twitter I received by AA sometime ago (That I also posted here).

Myth city.
Isn't there something about "false advertising"????
Old Sep 10, 2022, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by erdoran
Think AA cares?
Old Sep 10, 2022, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian

Myth city.
Maybe you have to preface the phone call with DYKHWIAD (do you know how well I am dressed).
Or maybe start off with "Gary Leff said", and then you get transferred to a secret non-disclosed number where people are pleasant and act like their wages depend on your impression of them.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by erdoran
Old Sep 12, 2022, 9:26 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Can’t this be easily verified? Back when the perk was working and I was executive platinum, you could verify it by saying different T availability when you were logged in versus not.

Last edited by TravelerMSY; Sep 12, 2022 at 9:33 pm
Old Jan 27, 2023, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
When you are an EXP and you're on an award ticket, so you see the "upgrade" status icon on the AA.com mobile app?

I see it for my revenue flight, but not for an award ticket.

And, yes, I called in to have my status pulled and re-entered on all currently ticketed reservations.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Followup: for Exec Plat upgrades on awards. Are upgrades processed at the regular 100 hour window?
Old Feb 20, 2023, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Followup: for Exec Plat upgrades on awards. Are upgrades processed at the regular 100 hour window?
Yes, just behind all revenue EXPs. Had many award tickets upgraded around T-100

Last edited by ghsbass0406; Feb 20, 2023 at 10:11 am
Old Feb 20, 2023, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Yes, no different than if you were on a paid ticket. The only difference is that on an award you're sorted below any EXP's on paid tickets on the waitlist.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 10:23 am

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
EP not so special these days

Maintaining EP doesn’t seem worth it these days. Why?

1) Fewer upgrades as the airline is selling the seats and holding back the upgrades.
2) Concierge Key, the new EP, gets the perks and attention.
3) When infrequent flyers are higher on the upgrade list because of CC spend, the world is upside down.
4) Employees getting the remaining upgrade seats.
5) Giving up 1/2 the value by using AA credit cards to maintain status, instead of using cards that earn twice the value6) Tou can purchase an upgrade for the same price at the same time, as all other flyers. Status provides no advantage.
7) Buying in-app upgrades do not earn loyalty points.
Old Jun 18, 2023, 10:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
*There's more to EXP than upgrades*

(also - I'm 100% percent on SWUs and better than 80% on domestic upgrades this year. Seeing no problems there. Mid 200k 12-month rolling LPs, no CC. YMMV).

Existing "Is EXP Worth It" thread: What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (master thd)
Old Jun 18, 2023, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Upgrades aren't a big deal for me as I have a very low upgrade even with a healthy rolling LP. If you live in non hub outlying cities you will have a better experience. Anyway the only benefit really that means anything is the SWU.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.