Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it?

Link to oneworld web page “Emerald Privileges”

Executive Platinum status requirements: rack up 200,000 Loyalty Points in one calendar year

*See FT: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

(Members NO LONGER must fly at least 4 American Airlines marketed segments during the qualifying year to receive elite status.)

Status will last the current status year and the following status year - earn EP during 2019, your status ends 31 Jan 2021.

Preferred benefits:
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra and Preferred Seats
  • Up to three (3) free checked bags with oneworld benefit, 32 kg / 70 lbs ea. (extends to all traveling companions same PNR)
  • Minimum mileage guarantee available[/color] (for EQM only as of 1 Aug 2016)
  • 100% elite mileage bonus (changed to 11 Award miles per "fare dollar" (base fare plus carrier fees, not taxes) spent as of 1 Aug 2016)
  • Guaranteed Main Cabin seat availability [/color] (up to 24 hrs from departure)
  • Systemwide Upgrades (see below)
  • First class lounge access qualifying longhaul international and MEX** (see below)

Airport benefits
  • Check in at First Class counter)
  • Priority Lane / Fast Track through the airport at check-in, security and boarding (link) (see post #472 - link)
  • Checked bag fee waived for three (3) bags up to 70 lb / 32 kg
  • Priority baggage delivery
  • Complimentary same-day standby
  • Complimentary same-day flight change on American Airlines
  • Discounted Admirals Club® membership
  • Flagship Lounge and Admirals Club access on qualifying flights, regardless of class

Upgrade benefits (on AA)
  • 100-hour upgrade window
  • Flights* 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades
  • Flights* over 500 miles: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*
  • As of June 2017, Executive Platinum members can use their complimentary 500-mile upgrade benefits on AAdvantage® award tickets for travel on American from Main Cabin to the next class."
  • Courtesy 500 mile Upgrades confirmed before departure (as early as) 100 hours
  • *Upgrades on American are valid on American marketed and operated flights, within and between the U.S. (including Hawaii) and between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Bermuda and Central America (based on availability). Upgrades are valid from the Main Cabin to the next class of service.
  • Executive Platinum members DO NOT earn 500-mile upgrades.

Systemwide Upgrades (SWU)
You’ll receive four (4) systemwide upgrades (8 SWU years prior to c/y 2016 ) when you qualify or re-qualify for Executive Platinum status.
You may earn two more SWU at 150,000 EQM, and again at 200,000 EQM
SWU upgrades are valid, when available, for one-way travel on any American Airlines marketed and operated flight (up to 3 segments) and you can give them to anyone, even if you're not traveling with them.

Linkto further SWU information

Other benefits
  • Exclusive Executive Platinum service desk (actual separate dedicated call center staff)
  • Waived ticketing service charge
  • Guaranteed availability in the Main Cabin*
  • Waitlist priority for purchased First or Business Class (on American)
  • Complimentary alcoholic beverage and snack in the Main Cabin / coach (no, does not extend to traveling companion)
  • Complimentary preferred seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Complimentary Main Cabin Extra seats (extends to up to 8 traveling companions)
  • Two EP baggage tags
  • Exclusive partner offers

Award benefits
  • Extended MileSAAver award availability (must call EXP Desk, your FFN must be used during the award search, availability is not unlimited)
  • Award processing charge waived (awards within twenty-one days of travel)
  • AAdvantage award change and reinstatement charge waived (for awards reinstated to the EP member's account)
  • Special discounts on hotel and car awards

oneworld benefits*
  • oneworld priority check-in and standby
  • oneworld priority boarding
  • oneworld priority security
  • oneworld partner lounge access** First Class and frequent flyer lounges
  • Extended 3 bags and weight (32 kg / 70 lbs ea.)

*oneworld benefits are available only to passengers on scheduled flights that are both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline (marketed means that there must be a oneworld member airline flight number on your ticket).
**AAdvantage member access to American Airlines lounges excluded (regardless of status or class of service) if traveling within North America or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.

Link to aa.com guide to AAdvantage Elite benefits (all levels)

Link to aa.com AAdvantage Elite Status benefit comparison charts

Link to aa.com [b]Elite Status Benefit Guide

Previous posts: Archive: Is EXP / Executive Platinum worth it? What are the benefits? (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

What are Executive Platinum / EP / EXP benefits? Are they worth it? (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2013, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by carlosdca
P.S. And 2014 will probably be the last year of existence of the EXP program as we know it now, since after the US/AA FF programs merge the new program might be a seriously devalued version of the current EXP program
Agreed, so it may be worth to try to become EXP this year because

1) This year may be a last chance to become EXP by reasonable (additional) cost

and/or

2) This year and next year(qualified in 2013) may be the last year that EXP is somewhat worth seeking.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Maui Time
Well the drum roll will be that i will be able to experience the
EXP benefits. I have 96 segments through today; 100 on he next filght next week.

Very much looking forward to dealing with complementary EXP upgrades for a change instead of stickers.

just so you know, you still need X inventory to open up. Plus, you are competing with other EXPs. On elite heavy routes, upgrades aren't always sure things. you very may well sweat them out. My flying has been very, very light this year. 6 total segments. only one upgrade cleared at 100 hour mark. . Out of the remaining 5, one, cleared at the gate, one at about T-3 hours, another at about T-24. And one I wound up burning an SWU on.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by jsmeeker
just so you know, you still need X inventory to open up. Plus, you are competing with other EXPs. On elite heavy routes, upgrades aren't always sure things. you very may well sweat them out. My flying has been very, very light this year. 6 total segments. only one upgrade cleared at 100 hour mark. . Out of the remaining 5, one, cleared at the gate, one at about T-3 hours, another at about T-24. And one I wound up burning an SWU on.
Yes, but your reply went to someone who is currently PLT. The change from PLT to EXP should noticeable
Old Jul 17, 2013, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by ammassot
Hi guys. My home airport is EZE and on an annual basis I usually fly just above 50,000 in OW flights, which allows me to keep my AAdvantage Platinum status. This year however, I will be flying to HAN during October and my balance will reach 78,000 EQM. My question is twofold, is it worth trying to hit 100,000 EQM in order to reach Executive Platinum? If so, which would the the cheapest way to obtain 22,000 EQM?
EXP is better than non-EXP. Question is, will you fly and utilize the difference enough to justify the trouble + expense? Only you can analyze your circumstances and decide. For example -

1. EXP brings 8 SWUs. If one uses all 8 to upgrade itineraries like EZE-JFK-LAX-NRT, definitely worth it. If one uses 4 to upgrade flights like LGA-ORD and LAX-LAS, and lets the remaining 4 expire, then clearly a waste. Please note that "flying OW" is not enough; for all practical purposes SWUs only work on AA.

2. EXP will entitle you to First Class lounges. However, PLT will give you access to Business Class; if the cities you fly to have Admirals Club, that membership is a few hundred $ per year. You decide if the difference is worth the trouble/expense for your flying patterns.

3. EXP entitles you to free domestic upgrades whereas PLT costs one sticker per 500 miles. How much you actually fly on AA's domestic network will determine the value you get out of this benefit.

Last edited by aktchi; Jul 18, 2013 at 8:04 am
Old Jul 17, 2013, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro (2MM), HH DIA, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by mvoight
Yes, but your reply went to someone who is currently PLT. The change from PLT to EXP should noticeable
Correct, I am PLT. I hope the change is noticeable. Most of the routes I fly are not heavy elite from my experience of 40/50 upgrades (using stickers) clearing. Since I have a connection on every flight I take, my upgrade requests should increase significantly on my shorter leg (which I never request). I am hoping the EXP will overall reduce my stress (perceived) by allowing me to receive the complementary ug's without the constant checking of ExpertFlyer at T-100 to T-24 to see the inventory of what is available and then the occasional sweat time of waiting on the GA as she/he is boarding FC while I wait, seeing 3 seats available on EF in FC as my boarding group (PLT and then several others board) losing overhead space forcing me to drag my bag several rows back behind my row.

I won't change my screen name but if I did it would be 3CFORME but that has already been taken. (I do get that seat about 80% of my successful ug's and I really like it. Maybe 3CFORME wants to negotiate for Maui Time???
Old Jul 17, 2013, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro (2MM), HH DIA, IHG PLT
8 SWU's

Since most of my flights are mid-con DFW or ORD to either coast, how many of you waste SWU's on mid-con flights? (I have 100 segments on mid-cons through this week) I do fly to OGG or HNL a couple of times each year and I (out of ignorance) think they would work fine for these trips.

My wife is pushing for Europe for use.

I will let the experts weigh in.

Flame on!
Old Jul 17, 2013, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
I was PLT for many years. Then gold for a few. And now EXP. Of course, I have limited flights as an EXP, but I think I sweated out upgrades for my recent LAS trip more than I ever did before. For me, I was expecting to always clear well before flight time with EXP status. I haven't found that to be the case. I had one flight that didn't clear at all. In fact, it was my very first flight as an EXP (DFW-FLL). Kind of a wake up call, I think.

Just something for them to be aware of. Hopefully, he doesn't get his hopes as high as I did.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 9:39 pm

Since most of my flights are mid-con DFW or ORD to either coast, how many of you waste SWU's on mid-con flights? (I have 100 segments on mid-cons through this week) I do fly to OGG or HNL a couple of times each year and I (out of ignorance) think they would work fine for these trips.

Flame on!

As mentioned, I burned one for a domestic hop. BOS-DFW. For me, living in Dallas, that's a long flight. I can't possibly use 8 SWUs for long haul TATL or TPAC flights in a year. I just don't have the time or money for that many flights/ I'll burn 4 of those in December (already pulled), but I found it was unlikely I would have any other opportunity to burn them on a longer flight that would yield better value. So, I used it BOS-DFW (outbound cleared at 100 hours). Some say it's a silly use. But I thought it worthwhile. IMHO, it would have been to finish out Feb 2014 with SWUs in my account and having 'suffered" a ride in Y when I didn't have to.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ammassot
Originally Posted by MasterPlanner
Alex, my answer would hinge on what your flying plans are in 2014. The key benefits to EXP (for me) are nearly unlimited upgrades when flying on AA within the US and the 8 SWU's for international travel. (There are many others, of course). If you have minimal travel plans next year within the US and internationally on AA metal then it's probably not worth it, but if so then by all means...

Best of luck!
Thanks for the quick turnaround!

So far during 2014 I will be flying EZE-JFK-EZE and EZE-JFK-YYZ-JFK-EZE on AA, some flights within Argentina on LAN, and EZE-FCO-EZE in BA or IB...
If you could do MXP instead of FCO, you could route EZE-MIA-MXP with the new MIA-MXP service starting this November (& use SWUs).

As others have noted, the amount of domestic US flying one does is a determinant of value as well as smart/creative use of SWUs. I'm bundling trips to MXP and SCL together and effectively getting 2 RT Intl trips upgraded with 2 SWUs.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
I have done a couple. But I wait until I have a good idea of my long-haul travel plans for the year before using them for shorter flights.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:03 am

Programs: ex-ExPlat, AA Lifetime Platinum
i am EXP and will need to do an award ticket booking while in Helsinki. it appears that there is a 60 euro fee for award ticketing by phone or in person at the airport. does anyone have experience if this ticketing fee is waived for EXP?
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EXP
If you can use skype to call the us exp number. There shouldn't be a charge then.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days

Flame on!
My first year as EXP, I burned an SWU on a DFW LGA flight. Tough upgrade to get if you book the flight late for late afternoon Thursday returns.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 10:56 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Since most of my flights are mid-con DFW or ORD to either coast, how many of you waste SWU's on mid-con flights? (I have 100 segments on mid-cons through this week) I do fly to OGG or HNL a couple of times each year and I (out of ignorance) think they would work fine for these trips...My wife is pushing for Europe for use...I will let the experts weigh in.
Bottom line is simple. SWUs expire. If I were going to fly to these destinations, my priority might be -

Japan > UK or Hawaii > Transcon > The Rest > Let Them Expire!

Use them on the longest itineraries you would actually fly.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 1:22 pm

Programs: SPG Plat AA EXP 2.5MM
I use mine to Japan from J to F and LHR to MIA also J to F, if needed will burn one for MIA-LAX but I am finding that the cheaper I fares get me into F anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.