Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club membership discounts / discount - aren't they wonderful...

Admirals Club membership discounts / discount - aren't they wonderful...

Old Mar 25, 15, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Dia1 is correct. When you flip from membership through the $450 Exec card to a stand-alone membership, you do pay the initiation fee. It's $50 or $100 if I'm remembering correctly; I haven't looked again to check.

Like Dia1, I asked that exact question, too.

For 100,000 miles and a $200 credit besides, I took the leap anyway. If Citi wanted to give away the store, who was I to say, "No"?

The irony here is that now I'm pretty sure I'm going to product-change to the Citi Prestige and just go with Admirals Club "access" rather than membership. Mere "access" isn't as good as an actual membership, but given my travel patterns and the $100 net fee for the Prestige, I think it's the best choice for me. (A Gold account at Citi gives you an extra $100 off.)

Last edited by FallenPlat; Mar 25, 15 at 4:25 pm Reason: Final thought . . . .
Old Mar 25, 15, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by carsnoceans View Post
How much is this one-time fee?

Regardless, sounds kind of a ridiculous policy.
The initiation fee is the $50 difference between new membership and renewal that you cited above.
Old Jul 20, 15, 5:16 am

Programs: AA EP, DL PL, SPG & IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hertz 5*, EC EE
I've been looking and cannot find any way to earn a membership through # of flights or miles. Coming from US, it was nice being able to get a free club membership by flying some 160 segments, which was around 40 more than Chairman/Ex Plat. threshold. Is there any reason to hope that they may introduce something like that with the new merged airline?
Old Jul 20, 15, 5:45 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold, UA 1K
Originally Posted by micahdaniel View Post
I've been looking and cannot find any way to earn a membership through # of flights or miles.
Hi micahdaniel,

The miles for memberships are posted just below the US$ portion:

Annual rates (miles)
Membership Type AAdvantage AAdvantage Gold AAdvantage Platinum AAdvantage Executive Platinum
Individual - new 80,000 70,000 65,000 55,000
Individual - renew 70,000 60,000 55,000 45,000
Household - new 125,000 110,000 95,000 75,000
Household - renew 115,000 100,000 85,000 65,000
Buy now
Old Jul 20, 15, 6:05 am

Programs: AA EP, DL PL, SPG & IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hertz 5*, EC EE
Originally Posted by zpaul View Post
Hi micahdaniel,

The miles for memberships are posted just below the US$ portion:

Annual rates (miles)
Membership Type AAdvantage AAdvantage Gold AAdvantage Platinum AAdvantage Executive Platinum
Individual - new 80,000 70,000 65,000 55,000
Individual - renew 70,000 60,000 55,000 45,000
Household - new 125,000 110,000 95,000 75,000
Household - renew 115,000 100,000 85,000 65,000
Buy now
You misunderstood me. With US, you could simply earn the membership outright by miles/segments flown per year--not pay with miles. With 125k miles flown or 150 segments, they just gave you a free membership. It was called special dividends: http://heelsfirsttravel.boardingarea...ds-perks-2014/

I think Delta gives you a free membership when you reach diamond too.
Old Jul 20, 15, 6:16 am

You misunderstood me. With US, you could simply earn the membership outright by miles/segments flown per year--not pay with miles. With 125k miles flown or 150 segments, they just gave you a free membership. It was called special dividends: http://heelsfirsttravel.boardingarea...ds-perks-2014/

Ah, yes, I did misunderstand. Unfortunately, AA offers nothing similar - you either gain membership via payment for it, or it is bundled with another product like a credit card.
Old Jul 20, 15, 6:23 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE

I don't think AA has ever given AC membership away for free to anyone outside of CK members. You either pay w/ $$$, get the credit card, or pay with AAdvantage miles. I always liked the fact that no freebies were offered because it felt like it limited overcrowding in the clubs... the DL SCs seem like they are always crowded because of all the DMs that get in for free although it seems like the MQD requirement over there has thinned the herd a bit. That said, the SCs have become much better than the AC in the last year or so w/ greatly enhanced food and beverage offerings... AA needs to wake up!
Old Jul 20, 15, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by krlcomm View Post
That said, the SCs have become much better than the AC in the last year or so w/ greatly enhanced food and beverage offerings... AA needs to wake up!
AA has announced the "extreme lounge makeover" so it appears that they are working on it. The website mentions that they are only 9% of the way there so far (https://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInform...miralsClub.jsp) so there is still a ways to go, but apparently they did wake up:

"We’re upgrading our furniture, giving you more access to power outlets and improving your complimentary snack and food for purchase selections. And, if you need to catch up on business or touch base with family and friends, log on to one of our new Dell PC workstations, coming this summer."

Search this Thread
Search Engine: