Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MAD / Madrid Barajas Int'l. Airport Iberia / oneworld Lounges (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Link to MAD information on aa.com
Link to MAD airport website
Link to oneworld website Lounge Access and Lounge Finder tool
Link to FlyerTalk Iberia forum thread on Iberia Lounges at MAD.
N.B. aa.com has no links to or information about these lounges.

Madrid-Barajas Terminal’s 4 and 4-S

Terminal 4S (satellite) - Velázquez Lounge

Location: Level 1, beyond shops and restaurants (Zone "RSU").

Note: Accessible under standard oneworld lounge rules <link>. No Admirals Club reciprocity.

Hours: Open 24 hours, for departures to non-Schengen longhaul flights.

Amenities:
  • Courtesy WiFi (tricky access)
  • Childrens play area
  • Showers
  • Soft and alcoholic drinks
  • Wine tasting area (Rincón del Vino)
  • Extended food offerings, including mealtime light buffet
  • Courtesy restaurant for late evening departing Iberia premium customers

Terminal 4 (main) Dalí lounge

Note: Accessible under standard oneworld lounge rules <link>. No Admirals Club reciprocity.

Hours: Open 0600 - midnight (May 2015).

[B]Amenities:
  • Courtesy WiFi (tricky access)
  • Showers
  • Soft and alcoholic drinks
  • Self serve snacks

Lounge hopping:
Terminal 4 and 4S are joined by a subterranean train; it is unlikely to lounge hop as the gatekeepers are rather strict about using the appropriate lounge.

Previous posts, some detailing obsolete information, have been archived to: ARCHIVE: MAD / Madrid Barajas oneworld and Iberia Lounges (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

MAD / Madrid Barajas Int'l. Airport Iberia / oneworld Lounges (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by Cerebrito
It looks like the Goya lounge at the Schengen part of Madrid T4S (gate M) has now closed, so if you are on one of those flights, you have to use the Dalí lounge in the main T4 terminal before catching the train to the satellite terminal.

It was most inconvenient today when my flight was delayed when I was already at the gate because of the French ATC strike.
Has this lounge re-opened ?
Old May 5, 2016, 12:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by george 3
Has this lounge re-opened ?
Not according to the oneworld lounge access tool.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Thinking of booking an overnight stopover in MAD w/ separate tickets -- Arriving MAD 9pm on a non-OW carrier, and then departing on a OW (either IB or AA) flight the next day at ~7-10am. I'm AA PLT / OWS and we'll have checked luggage. At ~9pm the night before, will we be able to check in and drop off our bags and pass security so that we can spend the night in the Velázquez lounge?

Been to Madrid before and don't feel like spending time going into the city or wasting 60 euros on taxis RT. Just looking to take it easy in the lounge and shower and get some free food and get a few hours of sleep. Thank you
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
If it's an IB flight, certainly, though I struggle to think of an IB flight departing T4S before 10am (or an AA flight for that matter). Your flight would need to depart from there.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by BA6501
If it's an IB flight, certainly, though I struggle to think of an IB flight departing T4S before 10am (or an AA flight for that matter). Your flight would need to depart from there.
Yeah, looks like it will be 11 or 12pm actually. I take it the IB check-in counters are open 24/7? If I take an AA flight, will IB be able to issue a boarding pass and/or collect our bags?

You're sure security will let us pass at ~10pm for a flight the next day?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by LAX_Esq
Yeah, looks like it will be 11 or 12pm actually. I take it the IB check-in counters are open 24/7? If I take an AA flight, will IB be able to issue a boarding pass and/or collect our bags?

You're sure security will let us pass at ~10pm for a flight the next day?
According to aa.com, the AA check-in counters are open from 7a-11:45a. If you are departing on AA, then your plan will definitely not work, as you will not be able to check-in with IB.

If you are departing on IB, then it's really a question you need to ask on the IB forum re: whether you'll be able to check-in, drop bags, and pass through security the day before your flight.

Personally I would forget this idea, the MAD Airport Hilton is very nice, offers a free shuttle, and rates can frequently be under 100 EUR. The IB lounge at T4S is nice enough, but not somewhere I'd want to spend a 12 hr overnight in, especially if there was a viable alternative available like the Hilton.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
According to aa.com, the AA check-in counters are open from 7a-11:45a. If you are departing on AA, then your plan will definitely not work, as you will not be able to check-in with IB.

If you are departing on IB, then it's really a question you need to ask on the IB forum re: whether you'll be able to check-in, drop bags, and pass through security the day before your flight.

Personally I would forget this idea, the MAD Airport Hilton is very nice, offers a free shuttle, and rates can frequently be under 100 EUR. The IB lounge at T4S is nice enough, but not somewhere I'd want to spend a 12 hr overnight in, especially if there was a viable alternative available like the Hilton.
I believe the lounge still has a room of beds which my wife and I found comfortable waiting for our rescheduled flight for Naples later that day. I don't know if its open 24 hours. I second JJefrey's suggestion to consider the Hilton. My wife and I stayed there after a two week long journey around Spain - the lounge was terrific and we spent a few hours there swapping stories with other travelers who had early morning flights in addition to a much more comfortable evening. We were on the MAD JFK flight which I believe left around 10am. If JDiver weighs in on your post, I would really go with his suggestion since he knows this airport very well.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:23 pm

Thanks all for the advice. Most likely we'll do AA over IB to save on the YQ. If flying AA, could we do OLCI and get our BPs and pass through security the night before, leaving our luggage in left luggage and then coming back out for it the next morning?

I know this is Flyertalk and not Thorntree and I'm sure the Hilton is a good value, but we're not really looking to spend $120 on an airport hotel. Happy to take recs for budget (2-3*) options with easy shuttle access if anyone knows.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAX_Esq
Thanks all for the advice. Most likely we'll do AA over IB to save on the YQ. If flying AA, could we do OLCI and get our BPs and pass through security the night before, leaving our luggage in left luggage and then coming back out for it the next morning?

I know this is Flyertalk and not Thorntree and I'm sure the Hilton is a good value, but we're not really looking to spend $120 on an airport hotel. Happy to take recs for budget (2-3*) options with easy shuttle access if anyone knows.
If you're flying AA then I would definitely shelve this idea and just get a hotel. On top of sounding like a huge PITA to clear security twice, store luggage, etc., there are just too many unknown variables to guarantee it would work in the first place.

1) OLCI: When flying from a foreign outstation to the US, I find OLCI maybe works 25-50% of the time, tops. Many times you will need to see an agent for passport/doc check, or you get SSSS'd, etc. I would never count on OLCI working in this scenario.

2) Security: Even if you could get a boarding pass, it's doubtful you'd be able to pass through security the day before your flight. Although, if security is open 24 hrs., you could feasibly wait around till 12:01am to go through. Again, I'd ask in the IB and/or Spain forums how strict the MAD security is here with regards to this.

Take a look at Orbitz or another OTA, there are tons of hotel options close to MAD for $50-$100.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
If you're flying AA then I would definitely shelve this idea and just get a hotel. On top of sounding like a huge PITA to clear security twice, store luggage, etc., there are just too many unknown variables to guarantee it would work in the first place.

1) OLCI: When flying from a foreign outstation to the US, I find OLCI maybe works 25-50% of the time, tops. Many times you will need to see an agent for passport/doc check, or you get SSSS'd, etc. I would never count on OLCI working in this scenario.

2) Security: Even if you could get a boarding pass, it's doubtful you'd be able to pass through security the day before your flight. Although, if security is open 24 hrs., you could feasibly wait around till 12:01am to go through. Again, I'd ask in the IB and/or Spain forums how strict the MAD security is here with regards to this.

Take a look at Orbitz or another OTA, there are tons of hotel options close to MAD for $50-$100.
Thanks for this thoughtful analysis!
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:42 am

Looking at flight options for upcoming trip to Madrid. Both early morning (6-7am) arrivals from US to MAD. Either AA, Iberia, or British Airways. What are my options to shower upon arrival? I have priority pass so would prefer to use one of those lounges. Any chance it's possible to go to the T4 or T4S PP lounge before going through exit-immigration/customs? My experience with other intl airports tells me that this is not possible as I will be routed straight to baggage claim / immigration after hopping off the plane. Same at Madrid?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ghostwolf
Looking at flight options for upcoming trip to Madrid. Both early morning (6-7am) arrivals from US to MAD. Either AA, Iberia, or British Airways. What are my options to shower upon arrival? I have priority pass so would prefer to use one of those lounges. Any chance it's possible to go to the T4 or T4S PP lounge before going through exit-immigration/customs? My experience with other intl airports tells me that this is not possible as I will be routed straight to baggage claim / immigration after hopping off the plane. Same at Madrid?
Yep, if you do not have a valid onward boarding pass then you won't be allowed to clear security and go back to the departures area where the lounges are.
Old May 22, 2022, 3:13 pm

MAD lounge access

Flying from Charlotte to Madrid next month on paid business class ticket but no status. Will we be able to access Iberia lounge?
Old May 22, 2022, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 99Pewtercoupe
Flying from Charlotte to Madrid next month on paid business class ticket but no status. Will we be able to access Iberia lounge?
There is no arrivals lounge at MAD.
Old May 22, 2022, 3:53 pm

Thanks for the reply. I am really more concerned about the return leg where we will be departing Madrid. We have an approx three hour layover there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.