Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club Benefits - Worth it? (consolidated)

Admirals Club Benefits - Worth it? (consolidated)

Old Jan 19, 2008, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA 2P, Marriott LTPP
Originally Posted by ESpen36
The free WiFi is FANTASTIC! It just increased the value of my membership considerably!

Agreed...showers, showers, showers! (especially for those of us who take multiple long-haul redeyes each year)

And don't forget about the free food at international clubs (and booze, if you choose to partake).
Agree with the WiFi... that is a huge plus. EXP gets me into international clubs anyway, so that's not a big win there. The plentiful amount of domestic travel is where the gains would come.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 5:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Admirals Club, TrueBlue, AF/KLM Flying Blue
I've used the AC plenty of times on international routes, but just bought a membership the other day.

I've never used the showers before, though intend on starting! Do they have shampoo, soap, deoderant, etc?

Last edited by unitedPSbusiness; Jan 19, 2008 at 7:20 pm
Old Jan 19, 2008, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by unitedPSbusiness
I've used the AC plenty of times on international routes, but just bought a membership the other day.

I've never used the showers before that intend on starting! Do they have shampoo, soap, deoderant, etc?
You MUST try the showers at DFW, especially in A. Ask for #7! (it feels like a hotel room) A huge 2-foot-wide shower head cascading water down on you, plus jets shooting water at you from all sides! Feels amazingly wonderful after almost 10 hours on a plane!

The ACs have a dispenser on the wall with shampoo and "shower gel," which is some kind of soap. I always carry a bar of antibacterial Dial and a 2-oz bottle of shampoo, so I don't use the provided stuff.

(Showers at FLs used to provide individual bottles of shampoo, conditioner, etc., but I've never showered at one, so I can't tell you for sure. I do know that the FLs will steam-press your clothes for you while you shower.)
Old Jan 19, 2008, 7:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Admirals Club, TrueBlue, AF/KLM Flying Blue
Originally Posted by ESpen36
You MUST try the showers at DFW, especially in A. Ask for #7! (it feels like a hotel room) A huge 2-foot-wide shower head cascading water down on you, plus jets shooting water at you from all sides! Feels amazingly wonderful after almost 10 hours on a plane!

The ACs have a dispenser on the wall with shampoo and "shower gel," which is some kind of soap. I always carry a bar of antibacterial Dial and a 2-oz bottle of shampoo, so I don't use the provided stuff.

(Showers at FLs used to provide individual bottles of shampoo, conditioner, etc., but I've never showered at one, so I can't tell you for sure. I do know that the FLs will steam-press your clothes for you while you shower.)
Might have to try this tomorrow at JFK! And not to sound like a newbie, but what happens to checked luggage if you arrive at the baggage claim an hour after landing? I've never spent time in the airport upon arrival.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by bpauker
In PHL, the line's didn't use to be too bad. However, since Delta moved over to the same terminal as AA, the lines have grown considerably. I sure wish the club wasn't land-side.
How bad are the lines now?

I haven't been there in a couple of years, but I'll be there in February and May.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 11:44 pm

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
I was just looking over this thread, and ACs sound utterly unappealing for this longtime DL CRC (and by extension, CO & NW clubs) member. Even though lately all of my paid flying has been on AA, it sounds like the single biggest benefit of ACs is that the AAngels resemble GAs... who actually do their jobs! Seriously, it sounds as though AA elites ostensibly should be entitled to anything AAngels are able to do, no? Shouldn't I get the same results by simply calling the platinum line?

At least DL CRCs include complimentary drinks; ACs come across as just plain stingy by comparison. I guess I (and anybody else who has converted from the Skyteam world) am spoiled by DL CRCs' higher standards. It sounds like ACs are actually a step up from UA & US's offerings - which makes me wonder just how worthless those places must be!
Old Jul 14, 2008, 7:13 am

Programs: AA CK, UA GS, DL 360, B6 Mosaic
Eric, I dunno...

When travelling TATL/TPAC, I get a few free cocktails on the ground, and then my free cocktails on the plane (J/F).

The AAngels, in fact, seem to do more than any other service can provide -- getting booked on last-minute oversolds is probably the best deal in it all. I got on a flight that a 20+ person standby list, by virtue of being PLT and asking the AAngel (even though the Plat line was no help, and wanted me to leave the next morning on UA).

For $350 a year, I get a private, quiet place in the airport to keep working, sit in a comfortable seat, enjoy complimentary soft beverages and some little snacks. CNBC or CNN are usually on, as well, so I get caught up on the day's news. It works out to a few bucks per visit over the course of the year for me.

Now... before someone accuses me of being a shill for AA, I'm not, I just put the club experience in perspective. Maybe when I make EXP later this year, and start hanging out in the FL's... then maybe I'll look at the AC as slumming

Cheers,

-Andrew
Old Jul 14, 2008, 7:42 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by nd_eric_77
.... it sounds like the single biggest benefit of ACs is that the AAngels resemble GAs... who actually do their jobs! Seriously, it sounds as though AA elites ostensibly should be entitled to anything AAngels are able to do, no? Shouldn't I get the same results by simply calling the platinum line?....
A big difference, is that you may find the AAngels in the ACs will actually do stuff in ADVANCE, so you don't need to call or queue up when the sh*t hits the fan. Often times, the agents will have notifications that certain flights will go "mechanical" even though the the public is told "everything is ontime and the agents will prebook you on a later flight and inform you as you swipe your card at the AC.

It would be great if all GAs gave such service to elites (maybe only EXPs), but that would more man-hours. The AC allows a small agent-to-member ratio for this type of service.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 8:46 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum

At least DL CRCs include complimentary drinks; ACs come across as just plain stingy by comparison.
Those of us who pay for, and love, the ACs can afford to pay for our own drinks, and don't really see this as a downside. Definitely not a consideration factor in whether, or not, to join. As others have noted, it's all about the AAngels. Especially if one as a small club where they know you.

I've walked into the SJC club several times to have one of my favorite AAngels hand me a boarding pass to correct a problem...one time I thought it was already fixed. She knew I was flying, knew I'd stop by, and took care of things before I arrived. I was there once and she was just finishing leaving a message for another local AC member whose flight the next day (or later that day) was delayed or canceled or something. Beats the hell out of a free drink.

Plus, it's nice to have a comfy place to sit and chill, get some water or a soda.

But the AAngels are what it's all about.

Cheers.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 8:59 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Just curious why people are paying for AC, vs just getting AMEX plat which is around the same annual expense, but includes access to other airlines and all the other AMEX perks? unless you pay for AC w/ AA miles, I dont see how it makes sense?
Old Jul 14, 2008, 9:05 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MOD220
Just curious why people are paying for AC, vs just getting AMEX plat which is around the same annual expense, but includes access to other airlines and all the other AMEX perks? unless you pay for AC w/ AA miles, I dont see how it makes sense?
I do pay with miles. Even if I didn't, I'd still go the AC route as opposed to AMEX. See my post just above about preemptive strikes by AAngels to fix things- couldn't happen if I were not an AC member as they wouldn't know who I was or that I was coming. Even when I'm in the club, they wouldn't know I was there if I were AMEX, so still no help without specific request. Worth it to me.

Cheers.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 9:22 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by MOD220
Also depending where you are located, you might only fly one (or two) airline 99% of the time. For those in the SF Bay Area, it seems to end up being a pick-two of United, AA, and Southwest. While it might seem like a good idea to have ready (but "diluted") access to a variety of airlines' clubs, one probably will be accessing the same airline's clubs most of the time anyways.

Unless one flies enough to get mid to top tier on two to three airlines, it seems a better deal to get top tier in one airline and pay the discounted rate for the club.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 9:29 am

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
one other quick question: do ACs still provide complimentary one-day t-mobile cards? I thought this was going to be a temporary CRC benefit, but CRCs still hand them out every time.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 9:31 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

one other quick question: do ACs still provide complimentary one-day t-mobile cards? I thought this was going to be a temporary CRC benefit, but CRCs still hand them out every time.
ACs now provide free wifi. No card required. This is for AC members. Those using AMEX for access may get cards, or may be SOL...not sure.

Cheers.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 10:01 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
The way I view it, I'd rather pay $350 for a year of AC access than an extra $350 for one domestic trip in F instead of Y. As someone who is a) young b) travels very frequently (5 TPACs, 1 TATL, 3 domestic since Jan 1) and c) who can afford it I have bought lifetime memberships in the AC, PC and WC lounges. It really depends on your choices...but I still think that lounge memberships are among the best values around.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.