Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club Benefits - Worth it? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Admirals Club Benefits - Worth it? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2007, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, HH DIAMOND, SOUTHWEST RR, HERTZ
If there's not in TPA & you prefer to walk around during connections - not sure I see the value. Personally, flying these days with security and everything else means I just make (most of) a day of it - and the AC in that respect is definitely a nice quiet haven vs. the hard plastic seats (if you can find one where someone hasn't spread their personals all over an entire row) excessive noise and other unpleasantries of waiting by the gates.

While I don't really travel frequently enough to make it worth the $ based on number of trips - I do find it extremely useful when travelling long itineraries or with family along.

Downsides to AC - having to pay for WiFi & not a huge selection of snacks that you don't have to pay for.

From your original post - doesn't seem like a great fit.

Sincerely, - jdburns11
Old May 19, 2007, 7:18 pm

Programs: DL D, AA LTP 2.6MM, HHonors Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
You have heard the good, the bad, and the ugly about AA membership.

I am a firm believer in the AC.

If you fly often, connect often, travel primarily on business, the AC works.

I don't fly expecting haute cuisine, I don't expect anything more than a tuna sandwich from the AC (acceptable wine is a must and most AC's are marginally acceptable on this criterion).

Flight delays, missed connections, "special" treatment.

The AC is a good value whether you are paying greenbacks or miles.
Old May 19, 2007, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA - Executive Platinum HHonors - Diamond
I look at it this way - $350/year = $30/month. (and renewals are cheaper)

So look at your travel - what's your average # of trips per month, do you connect often, for how long? Remember that a cancelled or delayed flight may mean 4+ hours in a connecting terminal. Also, during peak travel periods instead of waiting on a harried gate agent with the other 150+ pax on your flight, you can head to the AC and deal with the AAngels there (who WILL get you home if it's humanly possible)

It's a quiet place to sit down, check email, read a book, get a drink, etc. You'll always find a place to sit and if you're a laptopper you'll always find a power socket (as opposed to sharing that one on the round column in DFW)

With that in mind, get a one-day pass for $50 and consider if it's a place you think you can use to charge your batteries over the next year.

I just renewed for the first time and it didn't take any thought at all.
Old May 19, 2007, 8:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, AAdvantage Platinum (1MM Lifetime Gold), Avis First
Its not worth 50,000 miles but $350 is a good deal. I think it also depends on your volume of travel and are you going to sites with ACs. I have been a member since moving to AA from DLT and I love it.
Old May 19, 2007, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
This is my short AC history until today:

I flew intl in Y FRA-DFW-LAX and spent half a day in DFW to wait for next available flights due to a storm. The AC AAngels kept me current regarding the current situation and my travelplans without joining the crowd downstairs in the line. After a while I catched a flight after a nice shower ! The first ^

I thought, "well as a PLT on intl flights I always have access anways. What advantage gives me the membership on a domestic itinerary?" So one day I bought a 50$ daypass and had a 3-way-connection in LGA/BOS/ORD. Hell, it was worth it ^

After that experience I heard about the Qantas Club and the agreement with AA to use the AdmiralsClub when travelling on them. YES I KNOW THAT THIS CAN CHANGE ANYTIME (just to prevent any comments that might follow on this). The great feature: Qantas has a lifetime membership which pays off after about 9 years for me. Since I´m in my mid 20´s I considered it as a great deal and jumped on. From that day on I´m a happy traveller
Old May 19, 2007, 8:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
So far, nobody has mentioned the free Regus membership (wrong! says dayone - and dayone is right; but here's the info anyway.) If you use ad hoc offices in your travels, this could be a very good reason to spring for the membership - plus you also have use of Admirals Club conference rooms (for a fee,) and they will arrange admission airside for those you are meeting with.

* Complimentary membership to Regus Executive Club (an annual value of $300)
* Unlimited access to Regus' 950 business lounges in 400 cities in 70 countries
* Preferred member rates on fully equipped offices, meeting rooms and much more
* To learn more about Regus and their locations, visit www.regus.com*

For me, the conference rooms have come in behind the help of the AAngels in assisting me during irregular operations. YMMV, of course.

And this thread will become the master thread, because it has lots of resource information and links in it.

Last edited by JDiver; May 19, 2007 at 9:00 pm Reason: er, um, to edit? Insert parenthetical expression. Long day today!
Old May 19, 2007, 8:55 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by JDiver
So far, nobody has mentioned the free Regus membership.
You might want to (re)read posts #4 and #12.

Last edited by dayone; May 19, 2007 at 9:02 pm Reason: Add links.
Old May 19, 2007, 10:59 pm

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by moman
Friends just want some opinions on this topic. I've finally started my own consulting business and am traveling a lot out of TPA. We don't have an Admirals Club, but I fly a lot through MIA, DFW, STL, and ORD to connect to other locations.

Is it worth the $350 or 50,000 miles to get a Membership? I just wonder because I usually don't get to the airport too early and like to walk around during layovers. I already have a wireless laptop card through Sprint as well.

Thoughts and comments please - what do you like about the AC?
1) The AAngels
2) A bit of solitude surrounded by people who travel frequently vs the clueless masses (... no offense to anyone--we all were there once)
3) Workstations (with and without computers) with phones and power whenvever I choose to use one--most members are pretty considerate even when the place is crowded; you won't have to wait long if you want to use one of the AC computers

Based on what you've outlined, it doesn't sound like you really want it. Then again, as a consultant what is your time worth? IME, the AAngels can save you hours nearly every time you fly with a connection during IROPS (which happens all too frequently at DFW and ORD--can't speak to others since I rarely get through them). Let's say for argument's sake your time is worth $100/hour ... just one winter connection through ORD could burn 3.5 hours of your time ...

All that said, I travel between 20-30 times per year (about an equal mix b/w business and personal in the past, but shifting more to personal) nearly always connecting in ORD or DFW--the AC has been worth it to me, particularly because of the AAngels. Since you already have wireless broadband (and probably a blackberry or smartphone as well), the wifi thing isn't that big a deal and there are a handful of workstations in all the ACs anyway if you really need it.

BTW, I also have a President's Club membership which gets me into the Crown Room and WorldClub as well. I almost never fly SkyTeam carriers anymore, but I agree with others that the "open bar" and better snack selections are nice. The stand-alone President's Clubs are outstanding--very nicely appointed. The Crown Rooms are definitely a notch below (at least at DFW and ORD) and the clubs that are shared by CO/DL/NW are just barely acceptable. I've found this membership to be worthwhile as well, mostly because I like the club atmosphere vs being in the terminal with a big crowd--there are often SkyTeam lounges where there are no ACs (sadly not so in COS where I am moving shortly ).

Whatever you decide, good luck and happy trails!
Old May 20, 2007, 1:18 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
You might also want to consider PriorityPass. There are plenty of threads on this in TravelBuzz- just do a Search. They allow access to a variety of airline clubs in most airports including all Delta Crown Room Clubs. I believe the unlimited membership is $350/year; for $249 I get 10 visits (any over that are$24 each and guests are always $24 each). I'm Platinum on AA but, as noted earlier, that gets me access to the AC only on international flights. At MCI (my home airport) AC, alcoholic drinks are $6 each. Heck, that's worse than on the plane. With PriorityPass I can frequently get into better-equipped lounges such as the Continental PC, where wireless is free, or the CRC, where I can have a glass of wine and not pay for it.

I HIGHLY recommend an airport club membership of one kind or another- although some (such as the ORD PC on Fruday evenings) can be pretty congested, they're always better than "out there". I'm trying the Holideck Lounge in LHR today on my way to Bangalore! (Yes, I know I can get the BA Lounge but been there/done that and I've heard good things about Holideck.)
Old May 20, 2007, 6:58 am

Programs: Currently without any status :(
Prioprity Pass also gives you more options once you find yourself outside of your usual terminals / airlines.

One time GVA with easyjet - never again such an airport without access to lounges! ) PP might be more useful than just in this case and is much more transferable.
Old May 20, 2007, 11:35 am

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
I'm flying AA less, but still wouldn't let my AC membership expire this last due date. Perhaps by next year, I will convince myself that all will be ok without it. But that time has yet to arrive.

The $300 or $350 fee usually pays for itself each year during just one off-schedule event. I'm flying United a lot more, and have joined their Red Carpet Club. It's $50 more dollars per year, and their club facilities seem to be less visually appealing (keeping in mind that DCA, MIA and DFW are the 3 AAirports I use most) but they do have better junk food/snack items. But much like my AC experience, the fee justified itself during 1 nearly 5 hour delay.

A good plan is to have a club membership with the airline you fly most, and back that up with a membership in Priority Pass. I have the $100 dollar annual/$24 dollar per visit option just in case I need it.
Old May 20, 2007, 1:33 pm

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Overseas based and low status, a great deal

Being SCL based and just a lowly gold, it is a very good deal.

Remember the overseas ACs are all help yourself booze affairs and the wifi is free.

I use the SCL AC accompanied frequently with my Chilean gal on all my international trips whether flying Lan or AA.

I have intentionally built-in transits to my itinerary so I can use the AC at EZE.

In the next month or so, I will also be checking out the ACs in GRU and GIG.

And nothing beats having a hassle free coffee in a place where I can wash up and regroup after an overnight flight into DFW or MIA and my final stops in DCA or LAX.

And I haven't even gotten into the personalized attention to flight questions and issues.
Old May 20, 2007, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
The great feature: Qantas has a lifetime membership which pays off after about 9 years for me. Since I´m in my mid 20´s I considered it as a great deal and jumped on. From that day on I´m a happy traveller
THE great feature is the free drinks, no?
Old May 20, 2007, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton
2) A bit of solitude surrounded by people who travel frequently vs the clueless masses (... no offense to anyone--we all were there once)

Probably my best #1 reason to join. Traveling is stressful enough and I find the AC Club to be a bit of solace before boarding. I have yet to consult the AAngels for problems with flights but I do enjoy their personal touch.

If you travel enough, its worth it.
Old May 20, 2007, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by moman
what do you like about the AC?
You can leave your bags at your seat while you pee. That, by itself, is worth it. Add in quieter, more comfortable seats, plus water and apples (and sometimes crudités) and it is definitely worth it. YMMV, of course. Note: the clubs are far from quiet enough. There are still screaming babies, people yelling into cell phones, having loud inane conversations, TVs blaring, and other assorted irritants.

Last edited by anabolism; May 21, 2007 at 1:50 pm Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.