Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club Benefits - Worth it? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Admirals Club Benefits - Worth it? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:31 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kesco
Is that true? In branch only or someway else to get it?
I went to my local branch, they were able to get a screen showing $350--which is what I was charged on my first statement.^ [I tried finding that pricng on the internet but couldn't, it must be something specific to branch access.]
I was cancelling the PRESTIGE card, they tried "hard sell" to keep me; they insisted that "reduced" CITIGOLD pricing for the EXECUTIVE card is NOT possible--even though the branch agent printed a document showing $350.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
Maybe this will make a difference

I was in the PHL club yesterday and noticed the new promotion for Club / Credit Card was 75,000 miles after charging a set amount in a set time. I did not look at the specifics since I already have the card.

Seems like a good offer to me.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:08 am

I've been an AC member for 11 years. The clubs are crowded but it isn't nearly as bad when AA had agreements with Amex. The level of crowdedness is the same in DL and UA clubs. As for the Centurion lounges go, they started off great but now they are over crowded, loud, and difficult to find a seat.

With all of the lounge experiences, I'd be willing to pay more for exclusivity.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
At the end of the day, we each value a dollar individually. Someone who regularly flys paid F, and occasionally private, might feel that the annual fee can be justified in one visit. The same person in business school ten years earlier might have found the fee a little steeper.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:14 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat, WN A-List Preferred
Originally Posted by swanscn
I was in the PHL club yesterday and noticed the new promotion for Club / Credit Card was 75,000 miles after charging a set amount in a set time. I did not look at the specifics since I already have the card.

Seems like a good offer to me.
75000 miles for $7,500 spend.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 11:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Last year, I flew 76,000 miles with 2/3 of it domestic. With all those domestic trips, having the AC access was incredible because I could count on a good start to my trip each time with a nice refreshing shower 🚿 at my home club, often after a long day where I'd go directly from my office to the airport. With the snacks, I was able to not be too hungry, so I rarely ate in the airport.

This year, I've only had 3 domestic trips and everything else was international where I had access to nicer lounges through my elite status. Not so useful on the AC access, but still nice to have it in my back pocket.

I consider it a $355 membership fee because I would have paid for the $95 AA credit card anyways. The best perk about AC membership is that I can occasionally fly on United, which I do from time to time, and still access ACs when they're in the same security area.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 4:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plt, AA AC
I have both AC through the card which nets my wife access also and AMEX Plat so i can use that sweet Centurion club at DFW weekly. Now, your milage may vary but i get every penny out of these clubs in food/drinks/massages(Centurion) and help with irrops at AC. The Angels are amazing at fixing my every problem and if they don't know how to fix it then they call until they find out who does. I also feel a little more secure to nap in the clubs rather than the terminal.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 9:00 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
I was a Prestige member and use the club in LAX very, very frequently. I weighed my options and decided that the Executive card wasn't a good fit for me, as I'm trying to consolidate spending on my Amex Plat (small biz corp) and Chase Sapphire (personal). I ended up cashing in some BusinessExtra points for a one-year membership. After this coming membership year is up I'll decide if I want to renew in cash, up to an Executive card or just skip it. In truth I'm waiting until the new full Admiral's Club is open in LAX, as right now everything is just a mess in there.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plt, AA AC
Originally Posted by dll
I was a Prestige member and use the club in LAX very, very frequently. I weighed my options and decided that the Executive card wasn't a good fit for me, as I'm trying to consolidate spending on my Amex Plat (small biz corp) and Chase Sapphire (personal). I ended up cashing in some BusinessExtra points for a one-year membership. After this coming membership year is up I'll decide if I want to renew in cash, up to an Executive card or just skip it. In truth I'm waiting until the new full Admiral's Club is open in LAX, as right now everything is just a mess in there.
How bad is it. I have a flight through LAX coming up in August
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by 50ae
How bad is it. I have a flight through LAX coming up in August
On weekday mornings, it can be horrible. Imagine every seat taken; crazy noise level; food buffet looks as though an angry boar walked through it.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 11:43 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jcatman
On weekday mornings, it can be horrible. Imagine every seat taken; crazy noise level; food buffet looks as though an angry boar walked through it.
Completely.

I was there on Sunday and quite literally every single seat was taken, I got lucky as a single person was leaving as I entered. What's open right now is the space that used to be the International First Class lounge. The remainder of the club is closed. Not sure what their long-term plans are for the remainder of the space, now that they're creating the Dining and Flagship lounges too. But then they are taking over the old Delta lounge in T5 so that will be a good option to have when it opens.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 1:49 pm
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
It's worth it to me. I fly a Friday-Monday round trip almost every week. I was eating dinner Fridays at the airport anyway and by the I had a drink or two the bill was easily $30. I can pay the $450 on the Citibank card, and it pays for itself in 15 weeks. The rest is gravy. Plus, I'm not in the loud restaurant or shoved next to some kettles in a boarding area. My usual bartender has my drink waiting for me by the time I sit down at the bar. As a bonus, I usually stop in Monday mornings for a quick breakfast.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
anyone with a "legacy" (faux Citigold) account seeing its magic work on the fee for a new card?
Originally Posted by nrr
I went to my local branch, they were able to get a screen showing $350--which is what I was charged on my first statement.^
To help me understand (related to Biggie Fries' question): nrr, what variety of Citigold pertained to your case? I think we might have up to 4 hypothetical ways to get Citigold-like benefits:

(1) Come in with no Citi status and use an in-branch offer that "magically" provides Citigold benefits on a given card (how some people, including me, got the Prestige for $350).
(2) Come in with Citigold status on an existing card via (1), and see if that enables using an in-branch Citigold offer for a new card.
(3) Have a history of qualifying "normally" for Citigold (deposits, etc.) in the past, but no longer meet current requirements, and be grandfathered.
(4) The obvious: Meet current standard Citigold requirements and be indisputably Citigold.

What do we know about which of the above can get the Executive for $350, and how?

When I asked in a branch, noting my Prestige reflecting Citigold (though I have no Citi deposits), they gave a printout on the Executive showing "$350 for Citigold" but said they couldn't process that for me unless I became a full Citigold with deposits.

The printout indicates that, if nothing else, case (4) should work in-branch. The response I got suggests that (1) and (2) don't work at least at that branch.

Any other data?
Old Jul 2, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Club, National Exec something!
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
To help me understand (related to Biggie Fries' question): nrr, what variety of Citigold pertained to your case? I think we might have up to 4 hypothetical ways to get Citigold-like benefits:

(1) Come in with no Citi status and use an in-branch offer that "magically" provides Citigold benefits on a given card (how some people, including me, got the Prestige for $350).
(2) Come in with Citigold status on an existing card via (1), and see if that enables using an in-branch Citigold offer for a new card.
(3) Have a history of qualifying "normally" for Citigold (deposits, etc.) in the past, but no longer meet current requirements, and be grandfathered.
(4) The obvious: Meet current standard Citigold requirements and be indisputably Citigold.

What do we know about which of the above can get the Executive for $350, and how?

When I asked in a branch, noting my Prestige reflecting Citigold (though I have no Citi deposits), they gave a printout on the Executive showing "$350 for Citigold" but said they couldn't process that for me unless I became a full Citigold with deposits.

The printout indicates that, if nothing else, case (4) should work in-branch. The response I got suggests that (1) and (2) don't work at least at that branch.

Any other data?
I'm going to be in NYC in a couple of weeks .. I'll make a concerted effort to stop by a branch and sort it out. I'm "real" Citigold but just in an area with no branches I'll report back to everyone here.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 5:52 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead

Any other data?
I'm (4)--long time CITIGOLD. I live in NYC, I could have stopped into any branch, but accessed the $350 offer at "my officially assigned branch".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.