Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Account audit / blocked / fraud: award / miles / SWU / sale, barter, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
This thread is dedicated to issues around American Airlines Corporate Security, AAdvantage Fraud division (AKA "Revenue Protection Unit"), and its enforcement of the AAdvantage Terms and Conditions - particularly to selling, buying and bartering awards, miles, upgrades and other instruments - and related issues.

It is okay at this time to gift awards, upgrades, etc. as long as there is absolutely no quid pro quo (no buying or selling or offer to do so, no barter or trade "you give me one now I'll give it back" or anything smacking of prohibited activity. AA is probably the strictest of the US airlines about this. They have a very active and expert AAdvantage Fraud division of the AA Corporate Fraud department, and they can both be aggressive and, some might say merciless - clawing back one's miles and instruments, even closing one's account and terminating status and ability to participate in the AAdvantage program n the future.

There are other ways to commit fraud in AA’s eyes, such as fictitious or fraudulent bookings to try to block seats to increase one’s chances if upgrades, generating tickets to access airside facilities (e.g. lounges) when there is no intent to fly, etc.

To read an example of how the US Department of Transportation has rules on punitive actions by AA, read Joel Hayes vs. American Airlines here (PDF).

Please read on for information and the consensus of knowledgeable members.

E.g. AAdvantage Terms and Conditions excerpt: "At no time may AAdvantage mileage credit or award tickets be purchased, sold, advertised for sale or bartered (including but not limited to transferring, gifting, or promising mileage credit or award tickets in exchange for support of a certain business, product or charity and/or participation in an auction, sweepstakes, raffle or contest). Any such mileage or tickets are void if transferred for cash or other consideration. Violators (including any passenger who uses a purchased or bartered award ticket) may be liable for damages and litigation costs, including American Airlines attorneys’ fees incurred in enforcing this rule." (This extends to other AA instruments such as Systemwide Upgrades, etc., selling of extra AirPass seats or baggage allowance, etc.)
Also see AAdvantage Program Terms and Conditions and

American Airlines Conditions of Carriage.

Originally Posted by SS255
<snip>"While you may consider the AAdvantage Miles in your account to be *your* property, they are actually the property of AA, and AA permits you to redeem them within the program rules set by AA. If AA detects any impropriety (real or perceived) in the use of AAdvantage miles, they reserve the right to confiscate the miles and/or close/delete the account."...
The typical email from AA Corporate Security can not be addressed by calling AAdvantage Customer Service or other methods - you must reply to the email address given. It likely will look like this:

My name is Fname Lname, and I am an analyst with American Airlines. One of my responsibilities is investigating possible instances of fraud, misrepresentation, and violations of the General AAdvantage Program Conditions. Today, I’m writing you about your AAdvantage account # XXXXXXXX

We have reason to believe that the transactions listed below violate one or more of the AAdvantage program conditions. This includes, but is not limited to, prohibition of purchase, sale, or barter of mileage credit and or award tickets. As a result, American Airlines has suspended your AAdvantage membership privileges and use of AA.com® in conjunction with your account – and may terminate your account as a result of our findings. We are in the process of completing the investigation into this matter, and I would like to hear the events as they occurred from your perspective. Please respond to this message by <date> with complete and accurate information regarding the activities listed below:

<specific activity /activities in question>

Required Information:·
  • Passenger name·
    • Origin and destination cities on the travel itinerary·
      • Purchaser name (individual, company and/or website), including:·
        • Copy of any advertisements to which you responded offering to purchase/broker the use of your AAdvantage miles·
          • Purchaser contact information, such as:·
            • Mailing address·
              • Email address·
                • Telephone number·
                  • Website profile name·
                    • Your statement fully disclosing the details surrounding the sale/barter transaction referenced above·
                      • Copy of all communication between yourself and the purchaser·
                        • Documentation that you received payment

To protect and retain the integrity of the AAdvantage program, it is vital that firm action be taken as a result of any violation of the AAdvantage Program Conditions, whether intentional or not. Failure to respond completely and accurately by <insert date>, will result in the termination of your AAdvantage membership and all its benefits, including all remaining AAdvantage miles in your account and any award tickets issued from it. Please, understand that our overall motivation is to preserve the benefits of the AAdvantage program, rather than to take punitive action against individuals. To that end, it’s not unusual for us to release the AAdvantage account suspension once we receive all the detail we request and reconcile it with the results of our investigation. We hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Fname Lname, etc.
Excellent summaries of information (based on the sum of experiences we have seen in this thread over time) of how to respond:

Blogger Gary Leff: "If you made that mistake and got caught, American usually will go light on first-time offenders provided that they ‘come clean’ and are forthcoming about whom a systemwide was sold to or purchased from and what the terms were. They are most interested in serial brokers and are willing to ‘plea bargain’ with minor offenders to get the Evip-lords. There may be a consequence but it should fall short of account shutdown and forfeiture of miles." Link
Originally Posted by sbrower
I am going to try and provide a summary of the advice. For the record, this is 90% from Jon (JonNYC) and a little bit from other comments and circumstances, I am just trying to provide an easy summary, without all the explanations and reasons. I am happy to have others update/correct.

1. Respond to the questions in the email which you received. Don't try to call or email that person, or anyone else, at AA or DOT or whatever. Just answer the email.

2. Answer every question, in detail, with the facts. Don't use sarcasm or "you should know" or anything else that sounds like to you are avoiding the exact question being asked.

3. Assume that they know more about the true facts than you do. It might not always be true, but in most cases they have way more information than you might assume. So go back to #2, above.

4. If you did ANYTHING that was wrong (not under your interpretation of what you think the rules should be, but based on what the rules actually say) then, if you want to continue to participate in the AAdvantage program, tell them about your error and tell them that you are prepared to pay a correct penalty for your mistake (miles/status/etc) and then go back to #2, above.
From JonNYC, our resident expert on this:

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Perfect and 100%.
<snip>

The analysts that do this for a living have the same reactions that any humans do to being lied to and/or condescended to. Therefore, as well as being 100% truthful, go out of your way NOT to be:

-condescending
-brusque
-sharp, terse and/or sounding like you're being inconvenienced
-insulting
-just generally slippery, aloof, evasive and unforthcoming. As mentioned; they know more than you think they do. Always.

DO be apologetic, contrite and extremely cooperative.

Finally, any version of "...in which case, I'll be emailing [insert name or department here] to tell them how I, a [insert years flying AA, status, MMer, $$ spent, etc] customer is being treated" and/or mention of your lawyer, DOT, Chris Elliot (), this forum, any blogger, etc. DO NOT DO THIS.
Older posts have been archived to the
archived thread.

A number of posts regarding AA's confiscation of 60,000 miles from "Mr. Hayes" for allegedly making "fictitious" bookings in search of whether his upgrade would be likely to progress or not, AA IT issues that might have led to this (or not), AA's replies and the USDOT complaint have been moved to a new thread: Hayes, USDOT and AA: "fictitious bookings" and checking upgrades.

NOTE: Posts about members experiencing account security breaches, fraud, theft of awards and instruments have moved to Account fraud / breach: my account compromised, awards stolen, etc..

Print Wikipost

Account audit / blocked / fraud: award / miles / SWU / sale, barter, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by VXforever
It pertains to SWU barter, which i'd argue doesn't really screw them out of money but is still violative.
I think AA might disagree with your assessment that SWU barter doesn't screw them out of money.
ijgordon and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Is there a tip line where I can report violative conduct to AA CorpSec?
You certainly know how to stir up a thread!
Old Mar 20, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
The hassle will be going to a police station, filling out a report (which they might try to discourage your filing) which will merely take up space in a file drawer - and provide you with documentation AA “needs” to validate their process.

At least, the first part of that has been my experience.
Many police departments will take a report online or by phone (Washington DC, for example, has easy online filing where you get the report number right away, for most property crimes).
JDiver and chgoeditor like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
It pertains to SWU barter, which i'd argue doesn't really screw them out of money.
Of course it does. The person acquiring the SWU is giving consideration for it. AA's perspective is that they are the ones due any consideration given for an upgrade.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by anabolism
Since it was posted that IB didn't hand over email addresses during the big incident of a few years ago, then there is zero concern on my part, and I think it demonstrates that there is no reason for any of us to be concerned.
what was the big incident? Is it something in public domain?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by Antarius
what was the big incident? Is it something in public domain?
Up until a few years ago, there was a forum within FT where people openly traded and sold various instruments, including miles and SWUs. I don't know the details, but AA caught a good number of participants, and FT instituted a strict policy prohibiting certain trades/sales in that forum (not sure if it's any that violate the program's T&C or just AA or what).

< redacted>
Antarius likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 1, 2019 at 5:20 pm Reason: redacted previously deleted post content
Old Mar 29, 2019, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by rrapynot
They asked me to get a police report with the name of the "suspect" (their words), amount of miles used and the date of the transaction.
Update: Sent police report yesterday. Miles were redeposited today.
nsx, JonNYC, C17PSGR and 6 others like this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Excellent news! Thanks for the update.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Glad they were redeposited. Sorry you had to go through this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, 2+MM, AA Gold 1+MM, HH Diamond, MHG Silver,
Great news! Sorry it took 4 months to get sorted out!
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
While it's great news they were made whole eventually, I don't think victory laps are in order. Given the victim in this case noticed the fraudulent activity, reported it and had the ticket cancelled before the flight it would have, IMO, been more appropriate for AA to have returned the miles immediately as they clearly had not suffered any loss. Had they not noticed the activity it until after the flight it would be quite reasonable to have a lengthy investigation and require a police report to put the reporting party under penalty of perjury in case they were involved and attempting to defraud AA, but when that's obviously not the case 4 months is an inexcusable length of time to wait for a resolution. Hopefully this was a "stuff sometimes slips through the cracks" since it does seem that once they posted here things moved pretty quick.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ryan182
While it's great news they were made whole eventually, I don't think victory laps are in order. Given the victim in this case noticed the fraudulent activity, reported it and had the ticket cancelled before the flight it would have, IMO, been more appropriate for AA to have returned the miles immediately as they clearly had not suffered any loss. Had they not noticed the activity it until after the flight it would be quite reasonable to have a lengthy investigation and require a police report to put the reporting party under penalty of perjury in case they were involved and attempting to defraud AA, but when that's obviously not the case 4 months is an inexcusable length of time to wait for a resolution. Hopefully this was a "stuff sometimes slips through the cracks" since it does seem that once they posted here things moved pretty quick.
I generally agree, but could AA have been concerned that there could be a scam involving the selling for award tickets followed by cancelling them? Or that the booker cancels the (sold) award tickets if there's some problem with the payment?
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I generally agree, but could AA have been concerned that there could be a scam involving the selling for award tickets followed by cancelling them? Or that the booker cancels the (sold) award tickets if there's some problem with the payment?
That's a reasonable explanation that would justify what happened and had the OP had a history of claiming fraud on their account or even an unusually large number of booking award tickets for other people I could see AA needing some time and documentation to ensure they were not involved. I don't know if there was a history here but assuming this was the first occurance and there was no other suspicious activity on the account, 4 months is too long to resolve this especially given how opaque the security group is at AA and customers are left to hang in the wind. In this situation it seems, and perhaps I'm conflating causation with correlation, that JohnNYC nudged this along and had they not posted and he had not helped out they still would be locked out of their account with no recourse.
MSPeconomist and robertablake like this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by ryan182
Does the saying "If you're a hammer everything looks like a nail" sound close? It's the AA Game Book, with a police report, AA has recourse and protection should it be false and the ticket holder go for the deeper pockets.
C17PSGR and Global321 like this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Iirc, the delay was in the poster getting the police report. Once he provided the report, AA credited his account quickly. Asking for a police report doesn't seem unreasonable.
Global321 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.