FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Account audit / blocked / fraud: award / miles / SWU / sale, barter, etc. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/689350-account-audit-blocked-fraud-award-miles-swu-sale-barter-etc.html)

nsx Feb 13, 2017 7:04 pm

I think you meant to say:

Originally Posted by sbrower (Post 27904838)
This is probably just the result of AA corporate not recognizing legitimate exchange of money for empty white envelopes one piece of paper of zero intrinsic value for another.

:)

RogerD408 Feb 14, 2017 8:25 am

Originally Posted by sbrower (Post 27904838)
I doubt anyone is really that stupid. They know it is against the program rules. This is probably just the result of AA corporate not recognizing legitimate exchange of money for empty white envelopes.

Yet, we are well over 2000 posts on the subject.

Conclusion: They may not be that stupid, but there are some that are that clueless. A chance to get money for something you can't/won't use? You draw the line as you please.

rjw242 Feb 14, 2017 8:29 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 27907719)
Yet, we are well over 2000 posts on the subject.

Conclusion: They may not be that stupid, but there are some that are that clueless.

Might want to tune your sarcasm detector :p

Of course, sbrower forgets that nobody uses envelopes anymore. The actual problem is that AA doesn't recognize the immense value of a phone or email consultation from some guy on Cragislist about how to use frequent-flyer programs.

AndyAA Feb 14, 2017 8:45 am

And I still see people on ebay today selling SWU / eVIP upgrade "advice" and throwing in a free upgrade with the transaction.

JDiver Feb 14, 2017 8:51 am

Originally Posted by AndyAA (Post 27907800)
And I still see people on ebay today selling SWU / eVIP upgrade "advice" and throwing in a free upgrade with the transaction.

Amazing how the sheep will line up to be fleeced; the shearer sat AA are undoubtedly ready for them, and one or two might end up here with a quizzical "wassup with that?"

In the meantime, members can feel free to borrow my device:

josmul123 Feb 14, 2017 12:07 pm

Can you guys stop posting in this thread? Every time it goes bold, I get ready to pop some popcorn for the inevitable juicy story I'm about to read... Then I get sarcasm meters.

(I hope your meter is pinging right now)

JonNYC Feb 14, 2017 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by josmul123 (Post 27908765)
Can you guys stop posting in this thread? Every time it goes bold, I get ready to pop some popcorn for the inevitable juicy story I'm about to read... Then I get sarcasm meters.

(I hope your meter is pinging right now)

No deal!! :D.

That said, I can all gut guarantee that you'll be getting some "action" in this thread in the next few days as I personally know of 3 account freezings in the last 3 days-- and more to come, I feel pretty confident.

C17PSGR Feb 14, 2017 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 27909073)

That said, I can all gut guarantee that you'll be getting some "action" in this thread in the next few days as I personally know of 3 account freezings in the last 3 days-- and more to come, I feel pretty confident.

Well ... I offer SWU's to friends this time of year where I can easily establish the relationship if AA inquires (just as I have occasionally booked tickets for friends using miles). I'll confess, I'm a little leery, however, of giving them away to strangers here on FT even though I'm not getting anything in return where I can't establish the relationship with the person.

Antarius Feb 14, 2017 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 27909073)

Get your popcorn ready!

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p.../topopcorn.gif

plainheart Feb 20, 2017 4:26 pm

miles?

Snowycali Feb 20, 2017 8:05 pm

My AAdvantage account deleted by Corp. Security after being gifted a SWU

If anyone here could offer some advice/assistance with contact information for executive and management personal I can write to, to plead for assistance, it would be appreciated. This guy from corporate security has ignored any requests for information.

My AAdvantage account, as well as that of a close friend of mine, were suspended and then deleted by an employee of American Airlines Corporate Security, with NO EVIDENCE of any wrongdoing by me. About a week before this began, I had been given a SWU from a girlfriend of mine who is an Executive Platinum. This was given as a gift and no money changed hands for this upgrade.

On Feb. 10th, I was contacted by someone claiming to be from corporate security department, accusing me of an unidentified violation of the AAdvantage program. This person refused to provide any details of exactly what I had done wrong and demanded I provide information such as “seller contact information” and “form of payment”. I had been accused of committing some kind of fraud against American without any information being presented.

Myself and the other person, complied to the best of our ability to answer his questions and provided evidence to support our statements. My responses that countered the accusations of guilt that the agent were making were ignored.

I have learned that my friend had tried to sell two of her VIP upgrades only a week earlier, which was the genesis of this situation. She is an Executive Platinum and had a couple SWU that were going to be expiring soon according to her. I took no part in her sale and have been persecuted simply for my relationship to her.

After a few days of this continuing ordeal, demanding to know who this person answered to and the contact information for his office, all we received were generic form emails saying our accounts were deleted. All I got was this stupid form letter after going back and forth:

Dear. xxxxxxx,

Thank you for your email. American Airlines management offices have full faith and confidence in Corporate Security. We do not make account assessments without evidence supporting that decision.

Unfortunately, you are unwilling to provide the information required for successful closure concerning your involvement in the violation. While we do not disclose all of the details of our investigation process, as to not hinder any other current or future investigations, we do not make assessments without evidence supporting that decision. Regrettably, we have been unable to resolve the conflict between the facts of our investigation and the detail you provided in our communication regarding this matter.

Without your cooperation, this matter cannot be resolved satisfactorily to American Airlines. The results of our review have compelled us to exercise our right in accordance with the General AAdvantage Program Conditions to terminate AAdvantage account xxxxxxxx. All membership benefits associated with the account have been eliminated, including all remaining miles. We view this action as the only response available to us that will not further jeopardize the integrity of the AAdvantage program and allow more violations of the General AAdvantage Program Conditions. This case is closed with our office.

All membership benefits associated with this account and any of your other accounts, including all remaining miles (unused award tickets, elite status, Systemwide upgrades, etc), are forfeited, effective February 17, 2017. You are no longer eligible to participate in the AAdvantage program.

Regards,

R. M.
AAdvantage Fraud Analyst
Corporate Security

What is so ridiculous about this is that i provided photographic evidence that we had been texting and she offered the upgrade to me as a gift. I had answered as many of his list of questions that I could to the best of my abilities. This guy is claiming that i was unwilling to cooperate because i could not answer what the "sellers website" was or an "invoice of the sale". I have been flying exclusively on American for years and i cant believe this is happening over something so stupid that i was not even involved in.

Any help would be appreciated.

rjw242 Feb 20, 2017 8:15 pm

Unfortunately, by taking an upgrade from someone who was selling them, you are very much involved. Demanding to speak to supervisors and coming across as combative probably didn't help. I'm not sure if you have any recourse at this point.

WiscAZ Feb 20, 2017 8:21 pm

The tone you portray here is not helping anything. If you really have nothing to do with this I feel bad for you. There are always two sides to every story and we haven't heard the AA side (and won't) but typically in these situations it seems there is always a bit of info lacking....

Snowycali Feb 20, 2017 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by rjw242 (Post 27936332)
Unfortunately, by taking an upgrade from someone who was selling them, you are very much involved. Demanding to speak to supervisors and coming across as combative probably didn't help. I'm not sure if you have any recourse at this point.

Noted. Comments on my reaction when being falsely accused of fraud, rather than the inquisition thats taken place thanks to <redacted> of AA, is not helping.

Would it be helpful to post the whole email correspondence for the understanding of viewers here? If there is something specific i can add, please feel free.

rjw242 Feb 20, 2017 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Snowycali (Post 27936348)
Would it be helpful to post the whole email correspondence for the understanding of viewers here? If there is something specific i can add, please feel free.

I don't think that's necessary, since there are one or two viewers here at most who can really speak knowledgeably to this kind of issue (and I'm not one of them :)). It might be worth taking a look at the AAdvantage fraud thread (where I assume this will be merged) to see descriptions of similar experiences.