FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Guide: NRT / Tokyo Narita Int'l. Admirals Club & oneworld Lounges (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/682643-guide-nrt-tokyo-narita-intl-admirals-club-oneworld-lounges.html)

JDiver Jan 15, 2004 4:14 pm

Guide: NRT / Tokyo Narita Int'l. Admirals Club & oneworld Lounges

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-G...0/AA_B_NRT.png NRT / Tokyo Narita International Airport Admirals Club

CLOSING MARCH 2020

saunders111 Jan 6, 2013 7:51 pm

Just one data point:
On 12/30 at about 10-12 AM, I compared the JL Business lounge and the AC at NRT (I did not have access to the Sakura FC lounge). The AC was much much nicer:
much less crowded
much quieter
about eight food choices in AC, including little sandwich wrap thingies, as opposed to just cheese balls and crackers at the JL lounge
roughly equivalent drinks, but I did not look too closely at that; self serve in both lounges. I think I had a glass of pineapple juice in each lounge.
power outlets everywhere in AC, as opposed to hard to find at JL

I was a bit surprised, since my prejudice had led me to expect that the JL lounge would be nicer than the AC. But the AC was really well ahead.

I have been to the JL First lounge before, about three years ago, and it was of course much nicer than either of the business lounges.

At the entrance to the JL lounge, there was a sign indicating that there is a new FC lounge opening up (or open now?) upstairs above the existing lounge. Have any of you visited it? Is it significantly nicer or different than the JL FC lounge of a few years ago?

Thanks,
saunders111

ckpeter Jan 6, 2013 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by saunders111 (Post 19990549)
Just one data point:
On 12/30 at about 10-12 AM, I compared the JL Business lounge and the AC at NRT (I did not have access to the Sakura FC lounge). The AC was much much nicer:
much less crowded
much quieter
about eight food choices in AC, including little sandwich wrap thingies, as opposed to just cheese balls and crackers at the JL lounge
roughly equivalent drinks, but I did not look too closely at that; self serve in both lounges. I think I had a glass of pineapple juice in each lounge.

I was a bit surprised, since my prejudice had led me to expect that the JL lounge would be nicer than the AC. But the AC was really well ahead.

I have been to the JL First lounge before, about three years ago, and it was of course much nicer than either of the business lounges.

At the entrance to the JL lounge, there was a sign indicating that there is a new FC lounge opening up (or open now?) upstairs above the existing lounge. Have any of you visited it? Is it significantly nicer or different than the JL FC lounge of a few years ago?

Thanks,
saunders111

I am surprised on your report for the JL lounge food options. Did you check out the dedicated dining area upstairs? They should have some hot items there, including beef curry, some miso soup, and a few other things that I don't remember.

Penguinmoon Jan 6, 2013 8:30 pm

Just one data point:
much less crowded
much quieter

Thanks,
saunders111

Good question about the new lounge upstairs. Can anyone that qualifies use it as well? I just stick the the one downstairs and haven't tried it yet....

nutwpinut Jan 6, 2013 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by ckpeter (Post 19990657)
I am surprised on your report for the JL lounge food options. Did you check out the dedicated dining area upstairs? They should have some hot items there, including beef curry, some miso soup, and a few other things that I don't remember.

I too am surprised about the report. I was at the JL First Class (FC) Lounge and JL Business Class (BC) Lounges in the summer of 2011.

The JL BC Lounge had awesome full body massage chairs and good hot food upstairs. It sounds like you went into the seating area and not to the other areas where there are massage chairs and hot plate foods. The upstairs you see from the JL BC lounge is part of the BC Lounge and is where the hot food is. It looks deceiving in that you think it isn't part of the lounge and that the FC Lounge people are looking down at you, but it actually is part of the BC lounge. The massage chairs are kind of hidden.

The JL FC Lounge is fantastic. You get a massage from a masseuse you schedule an appointment with (can't remember if it was 15, 20, or 30 minute massage). There is a stocked bar area and a manned bar by someone who can give you advice on the best sake they have :) The food quality is better (better rice, better noodles, etc...) and better Sake :)

Legendary poster Jan 7, 2013 8:34 pm

I had a lengthy 6-hour layover at NRT on 12/24, so I hit up the JAL FL, Sakura, CX, and AC lounges. If you're interested, here's my lounge tour blog post, which includes pictures and my 2 cents.

Seat 1F Jan 7, 2013 9:08 pm

I'll be doing an early year MR to NRT this month so as a first-time Asia traveller, this thread is very useful. I am coming into NRT on AA175 from DFW and then departing NRT on AA154 to ORD. I have roughly 4 hours at NRT, and my lounge strategy is to first go to the AC to have a shower, and then to head to the JL F lounge to spend the rest of my time there. From what I have read, the AC showers are the best at NRT. For those of you that are NRT experts, does my lounge strategy make sense?

StephenW Jan 7, 2013 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Legendary poster (Post 19998567)
I had a lengthy 6-hour layover at NRT on 12/24, so I hit up the JAL FL, Sakura, CX, and AC lounges. If you're interested, here's my lounge tour blog post, which includes pictures and my 2 cents.

Thank you! Was researching lounge options at NRT for my upcoming trip and this was very helpful.

canyonleo Jan 7, 2013 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by Legendary poster (Post 19998567)

Your first photo is a photo of a priority lane with a well labeled gate. Where is that location (e.g. airside NRT? immigration NRT?), I've never seen it before when I travel U.S. to NRT or back. Thanks

uscjeff Jan 7, 2013 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by canyonleo (Post 19999463)
Your first photo is a photo of a priority lane with a well labeled gate. Where is that location (e.g. airside NRT? immigration NRT?), I've never seen it before when I travel U.S. to NRT or back. Thanks

I was there last week. It is literally to the right of the AA check in desks landslide at the start of security. Super convenient

Legendary poster Jan 8, 2013 7:23 am

Originally Posted by canyonleo (Post 19999463)

If you look at this map, it should be the northern yellow-shaded security check to the right of check-in counter E, which belongs to AA. And I second uscjeff on the convenience factor ^.

teemuflyer Jan 8, 2013 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Seat 1F (Post 19998786)
I'll be doing an early year MR to NRT this month so as a first-time Asia traveller, this thread is very useful. I am coming into NRT on AA175 from DFW and then departing NRT on AA154 to ORD. I have roughly 4 hours at NRT, and my lounge strategy is to first go to the AC to have a shower, and then to head to the JL F lounge to spend the rest of my time there. From what I have read, the AC showers are the best at NRT. For those of you that are NRT experts, does my lounge strategy make sense?

I'd personally just skip the AC- the showers at the JL F Lounge are more than adequate, and if you're lucky, you can squeeze in a free massage as well. But if you'd like to also check out the AC, as its probably the best AC in the system, nothing wrong with your plan.

aktchi Jan 8, 2013 10:00 am

...about eight food choices in AC, including little sandwich wrap thingies, as opposed to just cheese balls and crackers at the JL lounge

This lack of food in JL lounge just doesn't make sense. They have built an entire section on 2nd floor dedicated to nothing but food and drinks. Was it shuttered? I am with ckpeter in suspecting that you somehow missed it.

Another possibility is that you were in some small JL lounge, not the main one (they may have more than one). The main one we all talk about has its main entrance behind a money exchange counter. As you enter, there is a reception desk, with FC lounge to left and Business lounge to the right.

aafreq Jan 8, 2013 12:17 pm

Thanks for the comprehensive report.
I will be transiting ORT>NRT>BKK and return
in J on AA metal, continuing to BKK on
JL metal,with a stop over in NRT.
As a 'lowly' AA MM gold would I have access to
the OW NRT JL Biz class lounge ?
Thx

canyonleo Jan 8, 2013 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by Legendary poster (Post 20001247)
If you look at this map, it should be the northern yellow-shaded security check to the right of check-in counter E, which belongs to AA. And I second uscjeff on the convenience factor ^.

Interesting, that's where I always enter, as it's the entrance right opposite of the JAL lounges. I've never seen that, in fact in past (last trip was December) in that location they only had a JAL special entrance (F only I think?) that couldn't be used by Emerald (e.g. and EXP on an AA flight in J or F). I'll check it out Friday (although I'm flying JAL J anyway then) - it looks like a great change for AA not JAL fliers). Thx

Added later in the week:
Nope, I missed any notation of north/south, and I now realize I always use the southern entrance (the left yellow shaded area), as it's right across from the JAL lounge. I just now used that left entrance again, and can confirm it's "fast track entrance" is only for JAL F/J and offers no benefit for AA status (if not flying JAL F/J).

I did walk over to the other entrance (right side) and I see this AA F/J + Emerald + Saphire fast track entrance. I'll use that the next time I take AA and not JAL. Anyone know when they added this fast track?