Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA on board technology (inc. power ports) (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
FOR CURRENT THREAD, SEE Guide to AA Inflight Power in 2018

AA offers power points to most seats (some may be shared by two adjacent seats); while AA are moving to 110 VAC standard “Universal” (two blade US, Euro and UK) outlets, with 5 VDC low output USB outlets. The few remaining older (MD-80) aircraft still have "cigarette lighter" style outlets with ~15 VDC. LUS narrowbodied aircraft are generally do not offer seat power, though it will be retrofitted under Project Oasis.

(For WiFi, which is changing dynamically across the fleet in 2018, please see here.)

Please see the first post in this thread for further information.

The CIP 763s with staggered full flat Business with 110 VAC and USB 5 VDC in Business, and the cigar-lighter style 15 VDC outlets in MCE. For power issue tips and tricks see sluggoaafa's post #171.

NOTE: New power: "Each set of outlets in a row can provide up to 225 watts of power, combined, with a maximum of 150 watts per plug. If one device is pulling its maximum allotment, this leaves only 75 watts for the second plug, meaning there are times where there may not be enough power to run 2 devices."

Announced 22 Jan 3017: "We expect 50 percent of our domestic narrowbody aircraft to be equipped with power at every seat by the end of 2018, and over 85 percent equipped by the end of 2020." (This should be 110 VAC multiplug and 5 VDC USB.)

Old “cigar lighter”outlet 15 VDC power: drawing over 70 watts is likely to reset the breaker. Some devices may charge or run, but not both.

Resources:

Link to aa.com WiFi and Connectivity page

Link to aa.com page with links to each aircraft's powerport status

Link to SeatGuru - seat charts show show powerport locations (but note SeatGuru has some seat chart reliability issues)

Link to Travel Technology Forum: The In Flight Power Knowledge Compendium

Previous posts can be fund in Power ports, plugs and electric adapters / technology for AA (Archived)

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA on board technology (inc. power ports) (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP
I'm starting hit below 50% for AC plugs that are even able to hold my charger. The current you can get out of the USB ports is so low as to be almost obsolete. I hope there's a refurbishment plan for both.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I use a multiplug and select the U.K. setting for use of the A/C setting; that provides pretty stable plugging and then I have two USB ports and an A/C pass through plug too. The aircraft USB plugs are restricted to 1.1 amp, iirc, which is sufficient for a smart phone but useless for a tablet, pretty much.
deeruck and TWA884 like this.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by JDiver
I use a multiplug and select the U.K. setting for use of the A/C setting; that provides pretty stable plugging and then I have two USB ports and an A/C pass through plug too. The aircraft USB plugs are restricted to 1.1 amp, iirc, which is sufficient for a smart phone but useless for a tablet, pretty much.
Please share a link to your plug, I'm ready to try anything at this point.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:24 pm

I think a better question is, "is it so hard to design USB ports that don't break ?"
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Phasers

Sure. Skross World Travel Adapter MUV USB 2-pole Adapter & USB Charger - White 1.302150. Mine is black and rounder in shape, but essentially the same device, purchased from BA or QR duty free sales, but Amazon offers them in white.

Oops! This seems to be the latest iteration, and it's reported not to accept US three prong plugs!

See this Epicka converter with four USB smart charging points at half the price, getting better ratings.

Universal USB Travel Power Adapter-EPICKA (2017 New Design) All In One Wall Charger AC Power Plug Adapter For USA EU UK AUS Cell Phone Laptop Including Quad 3.5A Smart Power USB Charging Port (4X USB)

(Links have no referral.)

Originally Posted by Aliquot
I think a better question is, "is it so hard to design USB ports that don't break ?"
If I wait that long for AA to remediate or install new plugs I'll never get to charge my devices, so I prefer to use my way.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 25, 2017 at 1:17 pm
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plt, AA AC
Nope, not at all hence USB-C

Old Sep 25, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
I like these Ceptics Type G

I do as JDiver- the UK adapter is particularly stable in these loose outlets.

https://www.amazon.com/Ceptics-Hong-...rds=ceptics+uk

They have a newer model too that is not "Universal" on the outlet side but has 2 plugs at right angles:

https://www.amazon.com/Ceptics-Hong-...rds=ceptics+uk
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:14 pm

A cheap 2 dollar three prong multi outlet adapter from Walmart holds in place fine. For a couple dollars more you can get usb. Just go to Walmart hardware section lots of cheap choices
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:05 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Here's the one I use and prefer due to size, integrated surge suppressor, price, and rating on high number of reviews. I also use this on my annual 2-3 months of international travel, so only need to carry a separate South African adapter (if going there, as I am now) as none of these adapters include SA.

Travel Adapter, Worldwide All in One Universal Travel Adaptor Wall AC Power Plug Adapter Wall Charger with Dual USB Charging Ports

Now having said all that, I personally have not had any issues with any USB or power outlets on any of my flights, yet. Sounds like the 32B comes up lacking. I've only flown AA's 32Bs on short 3 hour flights (DCA-DFW-DCA) and either haven't had need for their power, or it worked fine.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
I have and have used the block-ish universal adapters, and they are good (esp with the built in USB as you have), though I find it nice to have several of the little plug only adapters, which are easy to give away or throw into a small pocket in a backpack or briefcase. Downside of course is if you forget to change to the proper plug for your destination region.

Regarding loose sockets, I frequently experience this on 737s and even the 77W business, and in many US AAdmiral's clubs, even newer ones. So the adapters really help with that.

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
Here's the one I use and prefer due to size, integrated surge suppressor, price, and rating on high number of reviews. I also use this on my annual 2-3 months of international travel, so only need to carry a separate South African adapter (if going there, as I am now) as none of these adapters include SA.

Travel Adapter, Worldwide All in One Universal Travel Adaptor Wall AC Power Plug Adapter Wall Charger with Dual USB Charging Ports

Now having said all that, I personally have not had any issues with any USB or power outlets on any of my flights, yet. Sounds like the 32B comes up lacking. I've only flown AA's 32Bs on short 3 hour flights (DCA-DFW-DCA) and either haven't had need for their power, or it worked fine.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:42 pm
formerly PHLGrump

How hard is it for people to not shove things into the USB ports on the 32B and break them? In my experience about 50% of the ports are non operational when I plug something into them. Some are so badly mangled I can't even plug anything into them.
It's crazy. You would think these people jam their seatbelts into them.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
No. Such 'hardened' USB connectors have been available commercially for at least fifteen years. (Some) car makers use them. It's not magic.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold
I have yet to see a USB port on an aircraft that supplies enough current to charge a phone faster than normal use will drain it. They are absolutely useless.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Not related to USB plugs, but why the hell did AA install non-tilting PTVs? So freaking annoying. Impossible to watch anything when the pax in front reclines. Would it have really broke AA's bank to install tilting PTVs in Y? So freaking stupid.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:43 pm

USB plugs are broken about 20% of the time for me as well. Keep a spare AC-USB converter just in case, because the power pots are more likely to be fine.

FOR CURRENT THREAD, SEE Guide to AA Inflight Power in 2018

Last edited by JDiver; May 18, 2018 at 1:38 pm Reason: Insert Moderator note

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.