Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Prevent AA miles / account from expiring / expiration & spend for other than flying

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Preventing AAdvantage Miles and Accounts from Expiring:
What can I do? Alternatives for miles use and discussion.

To check your miles expiration date: Look for the Wallet link on the website or in the app.

From AAdvantage Terms and Conditions: "AAdvantage members must have mileage earning or redeeming activity once every 18 months in order to retain their miles. If your account has no qualifying activity in any 18-month period, all miles in the account will expire. Qualifying activity extends the expiration date of all unexpired mileage credit in your account for 18 months from the date of the qualifying activity. Qualifying activity is defined as redeeming any AAdvantage award or accruing mileage credit on any eligible American, American Eagle® or AAdvantage airline participant as well as accruing mileage credit with participating hotels, car rental companies, credit cards, telecommunication providers and other service providers offering AAdvantage mileage credit." Gufting or donating miles, doing anything that will cause an increase or decrease in the number of award miles in an AAdvantage account resets the expiration clock by 18 months.
AAdvantage members who are under 21 are not subject to mileage expiration if their birthday is associated with their account.

But note:
Pausing AAdvantage® mile expiration through June 2021

You’ve worked hard to earn your AAdvantage® miles, and we recognize you may need more time than usual to keep them active. We’ve paused the expiration of miles through June 30, 2021. If your miles are scheduled to expire on or before June 30, 2021, they will now expire in July 2021, if there’s no additional activity in your account before then. You can find the expiration date of your miles in the Wallet section of your AAdvantage® account.
ANY account activity, earning or using miles, will extend the expiration date of all AA miles by an additional 18 months.

When days count, be aware: it's the transaction date, not the posting date, that counts to extend miles' validity. It can take some time for miles activity to fully post, including the new expiration date. But, read on. Be aware of some vendors’ delayed posting, however.

Originally Posted by Cygnet
"Activity date" is how the airline sees it, but beware that the date as reported by the shopping portal vendor can be a "gotcha." From my own experiences of various online vendors, the "activity date" reported can be the date you placed the order, OR the date your order was "received", OR the date your order was "processed", OR the date a transaction "hold" was placed on your credit card, OR the date your credit card company actually approved the transaction, OR the date your order was shipped, OR the date it was picked up (if in-store, for example), OR...etc., etc. And, don't forget time zone differences, too, if your cutoff date is very close (is it the time zone/date of where you ordered, or the vendor's website server, or the vendor's physical store, or...?) In other words, each online vendor may define and report the activity date to the airline in ways you didn't expect. I have seen an instance, for example, where the reported activity date was almost 2 weeks past the actual date I placed the order, simply because a part was on back-order, thus the full order was not "completed" and therefore the credit card not billed until later. Another example is flower delivery, especially if the flowers aren't scheduled for delivery until much later. Buyer beware -- the airline will refer you to the vendor for clarification.
For other relevant threads and resources see:

aa.com and Others:
  • Link to AA restricts expired miles reactivation within 18 months of expiration (2019) thread
  • Link to How to Reactivate / Restore Expired Miles – Reengagement Challenge thread
  • Link to Miles for Opinions surveys - not many miles, but it resets the clock.
  • Link to Car Rental partners
  • Link- Business and Financial: Earn AAdvantage miles when you buy, sell, or move your home with American HomeMiles by SIRVA, BankDirect, Fidelity, Lifelock, Network Solutions, PreFlight parking, Regus, etc.
  • Link Buying, Gifting, Sharing AA Miles (Points.com)
  • Link- Charities: Contributing Money (Earning Miles): Susan G. Komen, National Cancer Research Foundation, USO
  • Link- Financial and Business: Earn AAdvantage miles when you buy, sell, or move your home with American HomeMiles by SIRVA, BankDirect, Fidelity, Lifelock, Network Solutions, PreFlight parking, Regus, etc.
  • Link - Home and Health: DIRECTV, Energy Plus, Everything Energy, because Energy, Reliant, Spafinder Wellness 365
  • Link to ALL Hotel partners
  • Links to Hotel Bookings via pointshound.com, rocketmiles.com and Kaligo.com
  • Link - Retail And Dining: AAdvantage eShopping Mall, AAdvantage Dining Program, FTD, Teleflora, 1-800-FLOWERS.COM, Vinesse Wine
  • Linkaa.com - Reactivating expired miles (for fee)

Using or getting rid of miles
FlyerTalk:
  • Link - FAQ:: How do I keep my miles from expiring?
  • Link -: Preventing mileage expiration for Canadian AAdvantage members
  • Link - Preventing mileage expiration for UK and other non-US AAdvantage members
  • Link - Charity Donation / Contribution: Miles, Award, Upgrade; Earning Miles

Here are some suggestions from members on how to prevent miles from expiring easily and/or automatically. Please post your suggestions here.
  • Sign up and register a credit card with AAdvantage Dining, go dine at an enrolled restaurant. (Sign up with your email address for notifications for 3 miles per dollar spent instead of one mile; dine 11 times in one year and earn 5 miles per dollar.)
  • Make any purchase through https://www.aadvantageeshopping.comthat earns AA miles.
  • Another easy/cheap route is ordering photos from Walgreens.com. It specifically says in the terms "photo orders picked up in-store are eligible." Prints are as cheap as US$0.29, but I'd purchase at least $1 worth to make sure you get your miles (2miles/$1).

For previous posts on this topic, please see ARCHIVE: Prevent AA miles / account from expiring / alternate use of miles

Nov 12, 2020 - Formatting % font size
Print Wikipost

Prevent AA miles / account from expiring / expiration & spend for other than flying

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:57 pm

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Another route is to donate some miles. I think you can do it in 1000 mile increments and it posts immediately. And you can, you know, feel good about yourself.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by s5804
I need some help since the timing is very tight and it would be very sad to make a mistake.

AA Miles are expiring on 28 June. I have a flight with One world airline BA on 22 June.

How will this work out? Will the BA flight get booked on AA immediately or with a delay risking that the activity will be booked after 28 June? Thanks for the help.
Don’t worry, it’s the time of activity and not the time of posting that counts. You’re fine. Keep your boarding passes. If you want to do something as a backup, if you’re in the USA register a credit card with AAdvantage Dining, and go out and imbibe or dine. Or do anything that involves earning or using miles.

Preventing Miles Expiration for UK / non-USA AAdvantage Members (where this will get merged) and the main thread,

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...an-flying.html

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 11, 2019 at 9:14 pm
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
My parents received a call that account is expiring in 3 days. They can pay $60 to extend .

What other options will post quickest within 3 days guaranteed?

How about bonvoy/spg points transfer?

How about advantage dining? Do those post same day?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: PSA, Air Cal, Tarom Glam Miles (pre-devaluation)
My most recent Bonvoy transfers took two days each. My husband's as well.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Flying LATAM on a paid Coach ticket July 25th ish, my AA miles expire on AUG 11. If I credit to AA will this extend the life of the miles or does travel have to be on AA? And will it be in time?

Posted in LATAM thread as well but latam responses are always slim.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by theboss7593
Flying LATAM on a paid Coach ticket July 25th ish, my AA miles expire on AUG 11. If I credit to AA will this extend the life of the miles or does travel have to be on AA? And will it be in time?

ANY activity in your AA account will reset the expiration clock. So yep, a LAN flight flight on July 25 that you credit to AA will keep them from expiring and extend the expirstion another 18 mos.
JDiver and theboss7593 like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by radmo
Hi folks,

I am new to this forum, I am glad I found you all - hopefully someone here can help me.

I just got a call from a woman at American Airlines to regretfully inform me that my 107,000 miles are expiring on Wednesday and would I like to book a r/t to Europe to keep from losing them!

OMG - We are so busy at the office, I cant go to Walmart let alone Europe...

I am afraid that all my hard work on earning those miles has gone to shame. I tried to see if I could transfer Hyatt points but that takes 8 weeks, even shopping at the AA mall said I would not get credit for 3-4 weeks, but I need activity in 72 hours or AA is going to take my miles.

Can anyone help me out for what I can do to save my miles from expiring?

Thanks in advance!!

Radmo
Buy a stick of gum (or anything) off Amazon on an AA CreditCard of your choice. Perhaps do it on the RedAviator and get an addition 50k bonus miles after you pay for it and the cheap annual fee of $99.

Also, WELCOME to FT! There's no going back from this rabbit hole.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by theboss7593

It’s appropriate in this forum, not LATAM, as it’s about AAdvantage miles anyway.

The date of activity is what counts, not the posting date, so no worries. Just be sure you’re on an eligible fare to credit AA by looking here, and keep your boarding pass in case there’s a glitch and you need to claim the miles.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
Originally Posted by JDiver
It’s appropriate in this forum, not LATAM, as it’s about AAdvantage miles anyway.

The date of activity is what counts, not the posting date, so no worries. Just be sure you’re on an eligible fare to credit AA by looking here, and keep your boarding pass in case there’s a glitch and you need to claim the miles.
Yessir I am on an A fare with LATAM so it looks like it should qualify.. Thanks for the heads up.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:00 am

miles expiring january 10th, 2020, but not traveling anywhere...what can i do?

I got an email in october that my miles, and my wifes miles, via american airlines will expires on january 10th, 2020. we are not traveling anywhere before then, so is there anything i can do with those miles before they expire?

thank you

edit: its only like 5000 miles per person

Last edited by michael1023; Dec 9, 2019 at 10:00 am Reason: forgot
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:40 am

Bump...
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by michael1023
I got an email in october that my miles, and my wifes miles, via american airlines will expires on january 10th, 2020. we are not traveling anywhere before then, so is there anything i can do with those miles before they expire?

thank you

edit: its only like 5000 miles per person
Bump...
No need to bump a thread after only 40 mins...

Take a look at the wiki in this thread, literally any activitiy in your account will reset the expiration. Just buy something, anything, through AAdvantage eShopping....
DC9 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
No need to bump a thread after only 40 mins...

Take a look at the wiki in this thread, literally any activitiy in your account will reset the expiration. Just buy something, anything, through AAdvantage eShopping....
am i able to use the 5000 miles i have to buy something? i dont wanna spend actual $$
Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Am I able to use the 5000 miles I have to buy something? I don't wanna spend actual $$
From the wiki (donation to charity)----> https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p.../specialty.jsp
Edit: Is a cash donation
Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
From the wiki (donation to charity)----> https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p.../specialty.jsp
Edit: Is a cash donation
thank you for that, although i dont want to earn miles, i just want to use the 5000 i have without spending $$

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.