Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Prevent AA miles / account from expiring / expiration & spend for other than flying

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Preventing AAdvantage Miles and Accounts from Expiring:
What can I do? Alternatives for miles use and discussion.

To check your miles expiration date: Look for the Wallet link on the website or in the app.

From AAdvantage Terms and Conditions: "AAdvantage members must have mileage earning or redeeming activity once every 18 months in order to retain their miles. If your account has no qualifying activity in any 18-month period, all miles in the account will expire. Qualifying activity extends the expiration date of all unexpired mileage credit in your account for 18 months from the date of the qualifying activity. Qualifying activity is defined as redeeming any AAdvantage award or accruing mileage credit on any eligible American, American Eagle® or AAdvantage airline participant as well as accruing mileage credit with participating hotels, car rental companies, credit cards, telecommunication providers and other service providers offering AAdvantage mileage credit." Gufting or donating miles, doing anything that will cause an increase or decrease in the number of award miles in an AAdvantage account resets the expiration clock by 18 months.
AAdvantage members who are under 21 are not subject to mileage expiration if their birthday is associated with their account.

But note:
Pausing AAdvantage® mile expiration through June 2021

You’ve worked hard to earn your AAdvantage® miles, and we recognize you may need more time than usual to keep them active. We’ve paused the expiration of miles through June 30, 2021. If your miles are scheduled to expire on or before June 30, 2021, they will now expire in July 2021, if there’s no additional activity in your account before then. You can find the expiration date of your miles in the Wallet section of your AAdvantage® account.
ANY account activity, earning or using miles, will extend the expiration date of all AA miles by an additional 18 months.

When days count, be aware: it's the transaction date, not the posting date, that counts to extend miles' validity. It can take some time for miles activity to fully post, including the new expiration date. But, read on. Be aware of some vendors’ delayed posting, however.

Originally Posted by Cygnet
"Activity date" is how the airline sees it, but beware that the date as reported by the shopping portal vendor can be a "gotcha." From my own experiences of various online vendors, the "activity date" reported can be the date you placed the order, OR the date your order was "received", OR the date your order was "processed", OR the date a transaction "hold" was placed on your credit card, OR the date your credit card company actually approved the transaction, OR the date your order was shipped, OR the date it was picked up (if in-store, for example), OR...etc., etc. And, don't forget time zone differences, too, if your cutoff date is very close (is it the time zone/date of where you ordered, or the vendor's website server, or the vendor's physical store, or...?) In other words, each online vendor may define and report the activity date to the airline in ways you didn't expect. I have seen an instance, for example, where the reported activity date was almost 2 weeks past the actual date I placed the order, simply because a part was on back-order, thus the full order was not "completed" and therefore the credit card not billed until later. Another example is flower delivery, especially if the flowers aren't scheduled for delivery until much later. Buyer beware -- the airline will refer you to the vendor for clarification.
For other relevant threads and resources see:

aa.com and Others:
  • Link to AA restricts expired miles reactivation within 18 months of expiration (2019) thread
  • Link to How to Reactivate / Restore Expired Miles – Reengagement Challenge thread
  • Link to Miles for Opinions surveys - not many miles, but it resets the clock.
  • Link to Car Rental partners
  • Link- Business and Financial: Earn AAdvantage miles when you buy, sell, or move your home with American HomeMiles by SIRVA, BankDirect, Fidelity, Lifelock, Network Solutions, PreFlight parking, Regus, etc.
  • Link Buying, Gifting, Sharing AA Miles (Points.com)
  • Link- Charities: Contributing Money (Earning Miles): Susan G. Komen, National Cancer Research Foundation, USO
  • Link- Financial and Business: Earn AAdvantage miles when you buy, sell, or move your home with American HomeMiles by SIRVA, BankDirect, Fidelity, Lifelock, Network Solutions, PreFlight parking, Regus, etc.
  • Link - Home and Health: DIRECTV, Energy Plus, Everything Energy, because Energy, Reliant, Spafinder Wellness 365
  • Link to ALL Hotel partners
  • Links to Hotel Bookings via pointshound.com, rocketmiles.com and Kaligo.com
  • Link - Retail And Dining: AAdvantage eShopping Mall, AAdvantage Dining Program, FTD, Teleflora, 1-800-FLOWERS.COM, Vinesse Wine
  • Linkaa.com - Reactivating expired miles (for fee)

Using or getting rid of miles
FlyerTalk:
  • Link - FAQ:: How do I keep my miles from expiring?
  • Link -: Preventing mileage expiration for Canadian AAdvantage members
  • Link - Preventing mileage expiration for UK and other non-US AAdvantage members
  • Link - Charity Donation / Contribution: Miles, Award, Upgrade; Earning Miles

Here are some suggestions from members on how to prevent miles from expiring easily and/or automatically. Please post your suggestions here.
  • Sign up and register a credit card with AAdvantage Dining, go dine at an enrolled restaurant. (Sign up with your email address for notifications for 3 miles per dollar spent instead of one mile; dine 11 times in one year and earn 5 miles per dollar.)
  • Make any purchase through https://www.aadvantageeshopping.comthat earns AA miles.
  • Another easy/cheap route is ordering photos from Walgreens.com. It specifically says in the terms "photo orders picked up in-store are eligible." Prints are as cheap as US$0.29, but I'd purchase at least $1 worth to make sure you get your miles (2miles/$1).

For previous posts on this topic, please see ARCHIVE: Prevent AA miles / account from expiring / alternate use of miles

Nov 12, 2020 - Formatting % font size
Print Wikipost

Prevent AA miles / account from expiring / expiration & spend for other than flying

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2019, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by michael1023
thank you for that, although i dont want to earn miles, i just want to use the 5000 i have without spending $$
Did you check https://www.aa.com/booking/find-flig...rdBooking=true
The Web Specials on some routes are only 5000 miles right now.

otw you could purchase a magazine for maybe 300 miles and the rest will no longer expire.
https://magsformiles.com/20002742/
Old Dec 9, 2019, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by libralibra
Did you check https://www.aa.com/booking/find-flig...rdBooking=true
The Web Specials on some routes are only 5000 miles right now.

otw you could purchase a magazine for maybe 300 miles and the rest will no longer expire.
we dont have time to fly either, we just want to use the miles to purchase, say, a gift or magazine subscription
Old Jan 21, 2020, 12:11 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Order placed through AAdavntage Shopping - 1/16. Activity posted on AAdvantage Shopping 2 days later but date shows 1/16. However, AA account doesn't show the miles posted and I have a whole lotta miles expiring on Feb 11. So definitely can't let that happen. Do miles from shopping post by the statement or this is a reasonable lag?

Also, what should be my backup if these miles don't seem to be posting in reasonable time. I'd like to do this as economically as possible but certainly can't let these many miles expire.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Order placed through AAdavntage Shopping - 1/16. Activity posted on AAdvantage Shopping 2 days later but date shows 1/16. However, AA account doesn't show the miles posted and I have a whole lotta miles expiring on Feb 11. So definitely can't let that happen. Do miles from shopping post by the statement or this is a reasonable lag?

Also, what should be my backup if these miles don't seem to be posting in reasonable time. I'd like to do this as economically as possible but certainly can't let these many miles expire.
The activity date is the deciding factor, not when the miles post. AA miles post all during the month. Nothing to back up, assuming you have some document showing activity with Aadvantage Shopping for that 1/16 (or, at least before Feb 11).. If the miles don''t post to AA by Feb 11, AA will reinstate your expired miles when the activity does post
Old Feb 3, 2020, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by libralibra
Is this legitimate site? I could not find the link from aa.com official but it is better than donate to avoid expiration.
Is there any link from aa.com? If no, why and any other hidden sites we can consume AA miles?
Old Feb 3, 2020, 11:50 am

I've used magsformiles before. I'm not sure why it was removed from AA.com. It's shown on this archived page.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by carsnoceans

I made AA shopping purchase last week. It shows in transactions under "stores visited" and shows the purchase I made.

But it hasn't been converted to a "transaction" yet, and of course miles haven't been credited (because the purchase hasn't converted).

MIles are expiring in a few days . . . if it shows up in the stores visited will it credit ultimately (obviously AA shopping purchase is before expiration)? And will transaction date be the AAshopping purchase or when AA shopping converts to miles and credits?
Old Feb 29, 2020, 7:51 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by drewguy
I made AA shopping purchase last week. It shows in transactions under "stores visited" and shows the purchase I made.

But it hasn't been converted to a "transaction" yet, and of course miles haven't been credited (because the purchase hasn't converted).

MIles are expiring in a few days . . . if it shows up in the stores visited will it credit ultimately (obviously AA shopping purchase is before expiration)? And will transaction date be the AAshopping purchase or when AA shopping converts to miles and credits?
My experience is that the transaction date is the date of purchase and not the date of the actual conversion...

...and if your miles expire, they will be automatically reinstated once the transaction posts.

Ensure that you hold on to all evidence of your purchase — just in case...
drewguy likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Canarsie
My experience is that the transaction date is the date of purchase and not the date of the actual conversion...

...and if your miles expire, they will be automatically reinstated once the transaction posts.

Ensure that you hold on to all evidence of your purchase — just in case...
Thanks, - I've got the receipt and a screenshot of transaction . . . more worried that for some reason it doesn't qualify.
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 11:47 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by rrgg
I've used magsformiles before. I'm not sure why it was removed from AA.com. It's shown on this archived page.
AA no longer participates in MagsForMiles, apparently. AA does offer its Newspaper Rewards program, offering a limited number of newspapers for as few as ~3,000 miles per year. There’s a thread discussing Newspaper Rewards.

Old Mar 5, 2020, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
The activity date is the deciding factor, not when the miles post. AA miles post all during the month. Nothing to back up, assuming you have some document showing activity with Aadvantage Shopping for that 1/16 (or, at least before Feb 11).. If the miles don''t post to AA by Feb 11, AA will reinstate your expired miles when the activity does post
any different experiences? Aa shopping miles earned a couple of days ago that haven’t posted to AA yet. Inclined to buy or transfer some miles to avoid expiration of ~150k but of course would prefer not to waste that $.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 2:50 pm

American Airlines AAdvantage Award Miles Expiration?

I fly with jetblue, american airlines or delta depending on prices and date. I notice i have 1300 award miles that will be expiring very soon. It shows my million milersb balance at like 6020. I booked flights with american airline only a few times.

Jetblue nor delta has policy where points never expire right? But American airlines does? So how many total award miles do i have? Is it only 1300? What is the 6020 then? I mean i can't do anything with the 1300 miles right since you can't book any flight with that little miles? What could i do with these miles? Could you sell them for anything? I saw jetblue saw you could buy points from other customers or stuff like this. But is my 1300 points completely useless? I will be booking a flight pretty soon but even if i book with american airlines, well i can't use these 1300 points right? Or if i book a flight with american airlines before my points expire, now these 1300 points and whatever points i earn now will roll over and i still have them? So how long until these points then expire? I see on google it says 18 months. But could i buy enough points now where i could use it on upcoming flight?

How much points is that even worth that i have? I know not much though.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
1,300 points isn't worth keeping if you don't fly AA at least once every 18 months.

The 6,020 million miler balance implies that you had miles that already expired most likely. It could also be million miler accruals transferred from US (or HP or TW) after the merger.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
The 6,020 million miler balance implies that you had miles that already expired most likely.
Unless OP flew on cheap fares averaging 4.3 cpm.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jerry90210
I fly with jetblue, american airlines or delta depending on prices and date. I notice i have 1300 award miles that will be expiring very soon. It shows my million milersb balance at like 6020. I booked flights with american airline only a few times.
With AA ffp you need an eligible activity every 18 months, or the AA ff miles expire
6020 ff miles is the total ff miles over your time with AA. 6020-1300=4720 have expired due to no activity or been used

FT thread ---> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...flying-11.html

Expiry Miles/Points that Do and Don't Expire. Click to open the wiki.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.