Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Prevent AA miles / account from expiring / expiration & spend for other than flying

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Preventing AAdvantage Miles and Accounts from Expiring:
What can I do? Alternatives for miles use and discussion.

To check your miles expiration date: Look for the Wallet link on the website or in the app.

From AAdvantage Terms and Conditions: "AAdvantage members must have mileage earning or redeeming activity once every 18 months in order to retain their miles. If your account has no qualifying activity in any 18-month period, all miles in the account will expire. Qualifying activity extends the expiration date of all unexpired mileage credit in your account for 18 months from the date of the qualifying activity. Qualifying activity is defined as redeeming any AAdvantage award or accruing mileage credit on any eligible American, American Eagle® or AAdvantage airline participant as well as accruing mileage credit with participating hotels, car rental companies, credit cards, telecommunication providers and other service providers offering AAdvantage mileage credit." Gufting or donating miles, doing anything that will cause an increase or decrease in the number of award miles in an AAdvantage account resets the expiration clock by 18 months.
AAdvantage members who are under 21 are not subject to mileage expiration if their birthday is associated with their account.

But note:
Pausing AAdvantage® mile expiration through June 2021

You’ve worked hard to earn your AAdvantage® miles, and we recognize you may need more time than usual to keep them active. We’ve paused the expiration of miles through June 30, 2021. If your miles are scheduled to expire on or before June 30, 2021, they will now expire in July 2021, if there’s no additional activity in your account before then. You can find the expiration date of your miles in the Wallet section of your AAdvantage® account.
ANY account activity, earning or using miles, will extend the expiration date of all AA miles by an additional 18 months.

When days count, be aware: it's the transaction date, not the posting date, that counts to extend miles' validity. It can take some time for miles activity to fully post, including the new expiration date. But, read on. Be aware of some vendors’ delayed posting, however.

Originally Posted by Cygnet
"Activity date" is how the airline sees it, but beware that the date as reported by the shopping portal vendor can be a "gotcha." From my own experiences of various online vendors, the "activity date" reported can be the date you placed the order, OR the date your order was "received", OR the date your order was "processed", OR the date a transaction "hold" was placed on your credit card, OR the date your credit card company actually approved the transaction, OR the date your order was shipped, OR the date it was picked up (if in-store, for example), OR...etc., etc. And, don't forget time zone differences, too, if your cutoff date is very close (is it the time zone/date of where you ordered, or the vendor's website server, or the vendor's physical store, or...?) In other words, each online vendor may define and report the activity date to the airline in ways you didn't expect. I have seen an instance, for example, where the reported activity date was almost 2 weeks past the actual date I placed the order, simply because a part was on back-order, thus the full order was not "completed" and therefore the credit card not billed until later. Another example is flower delivery, especially if the flowers aren't scheduled for delivery until much later. Buyer beware -- the airline will refer you to the vendor for clarification.
For other relevant threads and resources see:

aa.com and Others:
  • Link to AA restricts expired miles reactivation within 18 months of expiration (2019) thread
  • Link to How to Reactivate / Restore Expired Miles – Reengagement Challenge thread
  • Link to Miles for Opinions surveys - not many miles, but it resets the clock.
  • Link to Car Rental partners
  • Link- Business and Financial: Earn AAdvantage miles when you buy, sell, or move your home with American HomeMiles by SIRVA, BankDirect, Fidelity, Lifelock, Network Solutions, PreFlight parking, Regus, etc.
  • Link Buying, Gifting, Sharing AA Miles (Points.com)
  • Link- Charities: Contributing Money (Earning Miles): Susan G. Komen, National Cancer Research Foundation, USO
  • Link- Financial and Business: Earn AAdvantage miles when you buy, sell, or move your home with American HomeMiles by SIRVA, BankDirect, Fidelity, Lifelock, Network Solutions, PreFlight parking, Regus, etc.
  • Link - Home and Health: DIRECTV, Energy Plus, Everything Energy, because Energy, Reliant, Spafinder Wellness 365
  • Link to ALL Hotel partners
  • Links to Hotel Bookings via pointshound.com, rocketmiles.com and Kaligo.com
  • Link - Retail And Dining: AAdvantage eShopping Mall, AAdvantage Dining Program, FTD, Teleflora, 1-800-FLOWERS.COM, Vinesse Wine
  • Linkaa.com - Reactivating expired miles (for fee)

Using or getting rid of miles
FlyerTalk:
  • Link - FAQ:: How do I keep my miles from expiring?
  • Link -: Preventing mileage expiration for Canadian AAdvantage members
  • Link - Preventing mileage expiration for UK and other non-US AAdvantage members
  • Link - Charity Donation / Contribution: Miles, Award, Upgrade; Earning Miles

Here are some suggestions from members on how to prevent miles from expiring easily and/or automatically. Please post your suggestions here.
  • Sign up and register a credit card with AAdvantage Dining, go dine at an enrolled restaurant. (Sign up with your email address for notifications for 3 miles per dollar spent instead of one mile; dine 11 times in one year and earn 5 miles per dollar.)
  • Make any purchase through https://www.aadvantageeshopping.comthat earns AA miles.
  • Another easy/cheap route is ordering photos from Walgreens.com. It specifically says in the terms "photo orders picked up in-store are eligible." Prints are as cheap as US$0.29, but I'd purchase at least $1 worth to make sure you get your miles (2miles/$1).

For previous posts on this topic, please see ARCHIVE: Prevent AA miles / account from expiring / alternate use of miles

Nov 12, 2020 - Formatting % font size
Print Wikipost

Prevent AA miles / account from expiring / expiration & spend for other than flying

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2021, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ovacikar
op is in europe, survey site membership is limited to United States.

The 40th anniversary promotion just ended, if op won points there they should be deposited by August.

Also there was another promo back in December 2020 for 100 miles, checking the travel blogs weekly may help next time:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/americ...ift-promotion/
And, just participating in the recent promo would have extended status through Sept 21
Old May 6, 2021, 6:27 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by chicago747
Haven't tried it myself but looks like Award Wallet is giving people 5 AA miles for their first blog comment. Might be something to try.

https://awardwallet.com/blog/earn-bo...or-commenting/

Other than that donating miles counts too. You could donate 1,000 miles and that would reset your clock.
Thanks for sharing. I had not heard of this offer (or even the site) before. Looks like not just your first comment either - one per day that can be applied to any account. A nice way to keep accounts active for family, kids, etc.
Old May 7, 2021, 5:38 am

Thank you everyone for all your great feedback and suggestions. It seems the easiest free option would've been to participate in the 40th Anniversary promotion but I literally missed it by a couple of days.

I tried to conduct the surveys option but for whatever reasons, there is no survey available to me even after I completed my profile, not sure if it is because I am located in the EU as someone had suggested.

In the end, I went with the Award Wallet option and completed a couple of posts in the blog. Now just awaiting for the miles to be posted in my account. 5 miles is nothing but it does trigger an activity, which should do the trick.

Thanks again for all of your help!!
renila and James91 like this.
Old May 9, 2021, 9:49 pm

Programs: a little here, a little there
Thanks chicago747! I did award wallet, and the 5 miles posted within about a week! Good to go until the Contest miles post!
nsx1164, chicago747 and James91 like this.
Old Jun 9, 2021, 8:44 am

Programs: US Gold
It appears that AA has now updated everyone with miles expiring this year to an expiration date in 2022.

wg
nsx1164 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Keeping AAdvantage Miles from expiring

I have a <<lot>> of miles which will schedule to expire in early 2022. Because of COVID, I have not flown since Feb 2020, and not clear that I will have any trips in 2021.

So is there some way to "preserve" the miles? With UA, I have one of their credit cards that has preserved my miles over the years. Is there a way to do this with AA? Or if I make a merchandise or gift card purchase with AAvantage miles, will this "reset" the expiry?
Old Jul 9, 2021, 12:09 pm

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
I think since early 2022 means you luckily have a lot of time. I think the easiest and cheapest way to extend is to go through AA's shopping portal. You can buy normal household goods at places like Walgreens.com or Walmart.com and that will earn you a few miles. All you need is 1 mile to extend the expiration date.

https://www.aadvantageeshopping.com/
ramcm7 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
I think since early 2022 means you luckily have a lot of time. I think the easiest and cheapest way to extend is to go through AA's shopping portal. You can buy normal household goods at places like Walgreens.com or Walmart.com and that will earn you a few miles. All you need is 1 mile to extend the expiration date.

https://www.aadvantageeshopping.com/
This or the AAdvantage Dining program. Or get an AA credit card (even the Citi no-fee Mile Up card) and have a monthly/periodic recurring charge go to that card. As long as you have something billed to that card, you don't need to worry about miles expiring.
chicago747 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 1:44 pm

Programs: a little here, a little there
Haven't tried it myself but looks like Award Wallet is giving people 5 AA miles for their first blog comment. Might be something to try.

https://awardwallet.com/blog/earn-bo...or-commenting/

Other than that donating miles counts too. You could donate 1,000 miles and that would reset your clock.
This is what I did... free and relatively low-hassle.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 5:50 am

Awardwallet no more

Sadly it looks like American has severed ties with Awardwallet, from the email Awardwallet just sent out.

Not only are they removing AA accounts from their monitoring service, but the 5 AA miles for comments is dead, too...

For reference:
AwardWallet is no longer able to offer American Airlines miles for comments posted on the blog.
nsx1164 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by prech
Sadly it looks like American has severed ties with Awardwallet, from the email Awardwallet just sent out.

Not only are they removing AA accounts from their monitoring service, but the 5 AA miles for comments is dead, too...

For reference:
AwardWallet is no longer able to offer American Airlines miles for comments posted on the blog.
Was more upset about losing that feature to extend AA miles than having the ability to monitor our accounts.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 7:27 am

One has to wonder if the 5 miles for survey prompted AA to ditch Award Wallet. I am very unhappy with AA's decision
arollins likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 1:17 am
mgm

Could anyone tell me how long before miles post when making a "Stand Up To Cancer" donation?
Old Jan 17, 2022, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan
Buy a ticket with miles and cancel/re-deposit?
Can someone confirm that this works for mile expiration extension? (ticket with miles, cancel and redeposit?)

Also, for those people with no activity in the last 18 months, can somebody tell me what is the exact expiration date in 2022 shown in your account, after the July across the board AA extension?
Old Jan 17, 2022, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by nk15
Can someone confirm that this works for mile expiration extension? (ticket with miles, cancel and redeposit?)
Yes, it works.
nsx1164 and nk15 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.