Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Prevent AA miles / account from expiring / expiration & spend for other than flying

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2013, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Preventing AAdvantage Miles and Accounts from Expiring:
What can I do? Alternatives for miles use and discussion.

To check your miles expiration date: Look for the Wallet link on the website or in the app.

From AAdvantage Terms and Conditions: "AAdvantage members must have mileage earning or redeeming activity once every 18 months in order to retain their miles. If your account has no qualifying activity in any 18-month period, all miles in the account will expire. Qualifying activity extends the expiration date of all unexpired mileage credit in your account for 18 months from the date of the qualifying activity. Qualifying activity is defined as redeeming any AAdvantage award or accruing mileage credit on any eligible American, American Eagle® or AAdvantage airline participant as well as accruing mileage credit with participating hotels, car rental companies, credit cards, telecommunication providers and other service providers offering AAdvantage mileage credit." Gufting or donating miles, doing anything that will cause an increase or decrease in the number of award miles in an AAdvantage account resets the expiration clock by 18 months.
AAdvantage members who are under 21 are not subject to mileage expiration if their birthday is associated with their account.

But note:
Pausing AAdvantage® mile expiration through June 2021

You’ve worked hard to earn your AAdvantage® miles, and we recognize you may need more time than usual to keep them active. We’ve paused the expiration of miles through June 30, 2021. If your miles are scheduled to expire on or before June 30, 2021, they will now expire in July 2021, if there’s no additional activity in your account before then. You can find the expiration date of your miles in the Wallet section of your AAdvantage® account.
ANY account activity, earning or using miles, will extend the expiration date of all AA miles by an additional 18 months.

When days count, be aware: it's the transaction date, not the posting date, that counts to extend miles' validity. It can take some time for miles activity to fully post, including the new expiration date. But, read on. Be aware of some vendors’ delayed posting, however.

Originally Posted by Cygnet
"Activity date" is how the airline sees it, but beware that the date as reported by the shopping portal vendor can be a "gotcha." From my own experiences of various online vendors, the "activity date" reported can be the date you placed the order, OR the date your order was "received", OR the date your order was "processed", OR the date a transaction "hold" was placed on your credit card, OR the date your credit card company actually approved the transaction, OR the date your order was shipped, OR the date it was picked up (if in-store, for example), OR...etc., etc. And, don't forget time zone differences, too, if your cutoff date is very close (is it the time zone/date of where you ordered, or the vendor's website server, or the vendor's physical store, or...?) In other words, each online vendor may define and report the activity date to the airline in ways you didn't expect. I have seen an instance, for example, where the reported activity date was almost 2 weeks past the actual date I placed the order, simply because a part was on back-order, thus the full order was not "completed" and therefore the credit card not billed until later. Another example is flower delivery, especially if the flowers aren't scheduled for delivery until much later. Buyer beware -- the airline will refer you to the vendor for clarification.
For other relevant threads and resources see:

aa.com and Others:
  • Link to AA restricts expired miles reactivation within 18 months of expiration (2019) thread
  • Link to How to Reactivate / Restore Expired Miles – Reengagement Challenge thread
  • Link to Miles for Opinions surveys - not many miles, but it resets the clock.
  • Link to Car Rental partners
  • Link- Business and Financial: Earn AAdvantage miles when you buy, sell, or move your home with American HomeMiles by SIRVA, BankDirect, Fidelity, Lifelock, Network Solutions, PreFlight parking, Regus, etc.
  • Link Buying, Gifting, Sharing AA Miles (Points.com)
  • Link- Charities: Contributing Money (Earning Miles): Susan G. Komen, National Cancer Research Foundation, USO
  • Link- Financial and Business: Earn AAdvantage miles when you buy, sell, or move your home with American HomeMiles by SIRVA, BankDirect, Fidelity, Lifelock, Network Solutions, PreFlight parking, Regus, etc.
  • Link - Home and Health: DIRECTV, Energy Plus, Everything Energy, because Energy, Reliant, Spafinder Wellness 365
  • Link to ALL Hotel partners
  • Links to Hotel Bookings via pointshound.com, rocketmiles.com and Kaligo.com
  • Link - Retail And Dining: AAdvantage eShopping Mall, AAdvantage Dining Program, FTD, Teleflora, 1-800-FLOWERS.COM, Vinesse Wine
  • Linkaa.com - Reactivating expired miles (for fee)

Using or getting rid of miles
FlyerTalk:
  • Link - FAQ:: How do I keep my miles from expiring?
  • Link -: Preventing mileage expiration for Canadian AAdvantage members
  • Link - Preventing mileage expiration for UK and other non-US AAdvantage members
  • Link - Charity Donation / Contribution: Miles, Award, Upgrade; Earning Miles

Here are some suggestions from members on how to prevent miles from expiring easily and/or automatically. Please post your suggestions here.
  • Sign up and register a credit card with AAdvantage Dining, go dine at an enrolled restaurant. (Sign up with your email address for notifications for 3 miles per dollar spent instead of one mile; dine 11 times in one year and earn 5 miles per dollar.)
  • Make any purchase through https://www.aadvantageeshopping.comthat earns AA miles.
  • Another easy/cheap route is ordering photos from Walgreens.com. It specifically says in the terms "photo orders picked up in-store are eligible." Prints are as cheap as US$0.29, but I'd purchase at least $1 worth to make sure you get your miles (2miles/$1).

For previous posts on this topic, please see ARCHIVE: Prevent AA miles / account from expiring / alternate use of miles

Nov 12, 2020 - Formatting % font size
Print Wikipost

Prevent AA miles / account from expiring / expiration & spend for other than flying

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2015, 7:17 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by sprogis
I just realized that my AA miles are going to expire in one month. What would be the cheapest way to extend the expiration date in this situation? I have placed a small order through AA shopping mall, but I am afraid that it might take more than a month for miles to be credited. I know that I can purchase some miles directly from AA, but it is going to cost me about $60 for 1000 miles. Are there any other options to earn miles and have them credited fast?
Register a credit card for AAdvantage dining, buy a meal, beverage, whatever at an enrolled dining location.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 7:48 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by sprogis
I just realized that my AA miles are going to expire in one month. What would be the cheapest way to extend the expiration date in this situation? I have placed a small order through AA shopping mall, but I am afraid that it might take more than a month for miles to be credited. I know that I can purchase some miles directly from AA, but it is going to cost me about $60 for 1000 miles. Are there any other options to earn miles and have them credited fast?
What did you do back in 2013 when your US AVIOS account was close to expire? Might work in here as well.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
JDiver, help please

Originally Posted by JDiver
Register a credit card for AAdvantage dining, buy a meal, beverage, whatever at an enrolled dining location.
I'm jumping in where I can. Can't get FT search to find AA USO donations link on AA.com. Moments, yes but USO not at all.

Trying every way to make a USO donation soon.

Thanks
Old Nov 9, 2015, 12:40 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
I'm jumping in where I can. Can't get FT search to find AA USO donations link on AA.com. Moments, yes but USO not at all.

Thanks
I think I can fill in for my friend JDiver, oldpenny16.

<redacted - search tiken expired>

In the future, put "" around USO and do a Title Search using "USO".

Please let me know if that does not help...

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 9, 2015 at 5:54 am
Old Nov 9, 2015, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by oldpenny16

Thanks
Let me know if you can find. I just checked AA and it looks like only the 2 cancer charities are showing up. Too bad as since Veterans Day is coming up they usually increase the miles per dollar.

Hope they haven't done away the USO choice as I have been donating to them through AA for years.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 6:01 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Currently, four charities show on aa.com as eligible for donating miles. See http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/donate.

The one that is military-related is Miles for All Who Serve:

The Miles for All Who Serve program provides assistance to organizations that work to support veterans, military members and their families. The mile-donation program includes opportunities to help caregivers and first responders, as well as giving a strategic emphasis on helping children of service members.
Two more here

There are direct links to both in the wiki.

Searching: key terms that are very common (e.g. changes) or that contain three or fewer characters require bracketing, as said by my friend Canarsie. Also, case is reduced to lower case. So, using Advanced Search to search titles, not posts, results as threads, "uso" will work (but all the resultant threads are old).

I learned this, and more, from Canarsie - and you can too, in the useful thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...ve-thread.html.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 9, 2015 at 6:09 am
Old Nov 9, 2015, 6:40 am

Currently, four charities show on aa.com as eligible for donating miles. See http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/donate.

The one that is military-related is Miles for All Who Serve:

Two more here

There are direct links to both in the wiki.

Searching: key terms that are very common (e.g. changes) or that contain three or fewer characters require bracketing, as said by my friend Canarsie. Also, case is reduced to lower case. So, using Advanced Search to search titles, not posts, results as threads, "uso" will work (but all the resultant threads are old).

I learned this, and more, from Canarsie - and you can too, in the useful thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...ve-thread.html.
I can't find the link for making a cash donation to USO and you receive 10 miles per dollar donated. Around Veterans Day it usually goes up to 15 miles per dollar.
I am only seeing the 2 cancer charities. I checked under the earn miles with partners and clicked on the specialty.

Thanks for any help.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 9:38 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Canarsie
<redacted - search tiken expired>
Yes, I took a chance, hoping that it would be used before it expired...
Thank you, JDiver.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 4:35 am

Received an email from AA, now through 4/15 receive 25 miles per dollar donated to Stand Up to Cancer. Normally it's 10 per $.

Extends your miles and gets you some for a worthy cause.

Sorry don't know how to post the link.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
Received an email from AA, now through 4/15 receive 25 miles per dollar donated to Stand Up to Cancer. Normally it's 10 per $.

Extends your miles and gets you some for a worthy cause.

Sorry don't know how to post the link.
Is this the link: http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/standup?anch...&title=standup

Note: Just bring up the page and then copy and paste the URL.
Old Apr 13, 2016, 7:24 am

Smile

Originally Posted by RogerD408
Is this the link: http://hub.aa.com/en/ju/standup?anch...&title=standup

Note: Just bring up the page and then copy and paste the URL.
Yes. That's the link.

Thanks for the instructions. But I was born BC and usually have my son or husband do those kind of things. I'm lucky that I'm able to do what I can being technically challenged.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Got this email:

"Get up to 6000 AAdvantage® miles per night and pay the guaranteed lowest price for your room.

Plus, make your first booking by May 31, 2016, and earn 2,000 bonus miles.*

PointsHound has over 200,000 hotels to choose from. Whether you're traveling for business or leisure, you can find find the perfect place to stay. "

I don't know how quickly these would post, so YMMV.

Haven't used Pointshound myself.
Doc
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:19 am

^
Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Got this email:

"Get up to 6000 AAdvantage® miles per night and pay the guaranteed lowest price for your room.

Plus, make your first booking by May 31, 2016, and earn 2,000 bonus miles.*

PointsHound has over 200,000 hotels to choose from. Whether you're traveling for business or leisure, you can find find the perfect place to stay. "

I don't know how quickly these would post, so YMMV.

Haven't used Pointshound myself.
Doc
Isn't it the transaction date that counts more than the posting date? Should your account be hit before they post, it can be revived as long as the transaction date is in the right window.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 7:01 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by RogerD408
I went through the steps and it does look like there is an issue with the site not recognizing iTunes has been installed. I'm running Win 8.1 64 bit latest updates. Not sure how to get it to work.
From my nexus 6 (android) I couldn't buy iTunes gift card. It automatically pops me up forcing me to download "apple music" app. Is there any other way?
I don't have apple. Even to gift someone is hard!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.