Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 4, 20, 6:29 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Airport Upgrade and Standby Order, Priority “PALL” List
questions, upgrade anomalies, issues, etc.

NOTE: Upgrade waitlist priority changes from 1) Status, followed by 2) Date of request to 1) Status, followed by 2) Rolling EQD earning for last 365 days on 20 May 2017. Link to FT thread.

NOTE: As of 1 Jan 2017, your travel companion will "borrow" your PALL listing. Link. AA's employee newsletter also gives a complete breakdown on page 5 here: http://c.hub.aa.com/email/arrivals/2...vals_final.pdf

Main PALL list codes. Passengers are ordered by code, then elite status, then other time-based factors. Additional codes may be entered to designate other information, such as companions traveling together.
OS# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting seat assignment.
RF = Confirmed First Class passenger awaiting seat assignment.
DSR# = Standby First Class passenger, confirmed in Economy.
VIP# = Passenger awaiting a SWU upgrade.
UPG# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting mileage, complimentary, or elite sticker upgrade.
.........Within a status group, passengers are ordered by date and time of original request.
RI# = Revenue involuntary standby passenger (bumped from another flight due to oversold condition or travel disruptions).
.........Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
RV# = Revenue voluntary standby passenger. Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
RV = Non-status revenue passengers eligible for voluntary standby.
D% = Non-revenue standby passenger (AA employees, family, and friends), where % is an additional number code pertaining to the type of pass and not related to elite status.
VOL = Volunteer for bump to a later flight.
.........Passengers are ordered by time of volunteering (first come-first served).
DG = Passenger with involuntary (or voluntary) downgrade in class-of-service.
RL = "Flat Tire Rule" passenger missing a flight through no fault of their own or AA (L=Late, in this case)
-T = Through passenger - Addition of this suffix gives priority over other passengers in the same status group, overriding normal time-based ranking. This suffix is supposed to be used for passengers connecting from another flight.
● Status indicator numbers UPG/VIP (#) = 1 = Concierge Key; 2 = Executive Platinum; 3 = Platinum Pro; 4 = Platinum, 5 = Gold; no number = no status (e.g. UPG2/VIP2 for EP).
C/o sensei:

The following UPG priority levels are now in effect:
  • UPG1/VIP1 Concierge Key
  • UPG2/VIP2 Executive Platinum
  • UPG3/VIP3 Platinum Pro
  • UPG4/VIP4 Platinum
  • UPG5/VIP5 Gold
  • UPG/VIP No status
UPGC is used for operational upgrades

"a notable difference is that SWU requests now have status levels other than just VIP1

Revenue Standbys are cleared in the following order:
RIT (involuntary, transit)
RI (involuntary)
RV (voluntary)
RL (late)

*Numbers corresponding to elite status will determine the order of the passengers within each category.

All revenue standbys are cleared before any non-revenue standbys

Older posts have been archived to this thread.

Print Wikipost

Old Dec 8, 16, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by beachfan View Post
I see OS1,OS2,OS3, defined above. What is OS4?
I'd tend to maybe think it's the appended # under the new 5-teir AAdv system (vs. 3 previously.)
Old Dec 8, 16, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Thanks. Makes sense, but how would it get there? I am exec plat, and had OS4. I

You once warned me about pulling an SWU(a couple of years ago). I'm thinking that's what screwed me on the PALL list, somehow it ignores the request date (although I was able to use miles and copay to get back on)

Thanks again!
Old Dec 8, 16, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Just a guess on my part, not really sure at all.
Old Dec 11, 16, 2:36 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Question regarding standby

So I missed my connection earlier in PHL. Got put on standby for the very next flight (Air WI) a few hours later. Long story I go to the gate, the agent confirms my seat (an hour before the actual flight, I was surprised by this, as it was an oversold flight)

Before boarding there was an employee "deadhead" they kept saying, was causing a .... storm because they wouldn't give her a seat and she was saying that I shouldn't get a seat before her.

Other agent took my boarding pass and says you have to wait to board, there is a deadhead and she gets your seat. I said, I have a confirmed seat on this flight you can't take my seat from me.

Am I right? Ended up being moot since a few pax didn't show up so we all got to board in the end. Just curious about the situation, would that have been and IDB since I had a confirmed seat and boarding pass in hand?
Old Dec 11, 16, 2:57 pm

Certain employee deadheads are "must go" which means removing rev pax if necessary. Since odds are you were the last person to be checked in to the flight and assigned a seat given your misconnect, last on first off.
Old Dec 11, 16, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by TheSkyGuy View Post
Certain employee deadheads are "must go" which means removing rev pax if necessary. Since odds are you were the last person to be checked in to the flight and assigned a seat given your misconnect, last on first off.
I had my boarding pass and have Priority Access so I boarded after military like one of the first 10 ppl to board. The other agent saw I was boarding and asked the other agent why did I have a seat. The guy was a total <redacted> and then took my boarding pass. Ok then. The woman kept saying she was A12 and tbat she was standby PRIORITY .. oh well.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 11, 16 at 6:01 pm Reason: Rules
Old Dec 11, 16, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA PLAT, Hilton Gold, AMEX Plat
A12 means they will kick a confirmed passenger off the plane for that employee. As a standby, you were below her in priority. The GA made a mistake confirming you in the first place.
Old Dec 11, 16, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by YtravelF View Post
A12 means they will kick a confirmed passenger off the plane for that employee. As a standby, you were below her in priority. The GA made a mistake confirming you in the first place.
Yeah as I said I was surprised she so quickly gave me a ticket. Thanks for the info, I didn't know that.
Old Dec 11, 16, 9:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, Emirates Silver, SPG Plat
First post, and I'm trying to get my head around something that maybe you guys can help with.

EXP Flying AA mktd+operated intl flight in economy. SWU requested and am first in the upgrade list out of 9 with 2 biz class seats available (checked via AA seat availability tool).

Nothing clearing, right up to boarding announcement, when they announce no upgrades available. Tool still shows 2 seats available.

I board and since I'm directly behind the 2 avail seats, I can see that there's nobody in them. We take off, and there's still nobody.

After ascension is complete a pilot comes and takes 1 seat and puts his stuff on the other. I don't know if he was the actual pilot/co-pilot for the flight or a deadhead. He was there until about an hour before landing.

What's going on? Obviously I feel my SWU should have been honored, and this is one more thing in a year long string of negative experiences with AA, but I'm curious if this is normal/acceptable?

Last edited by turiel; Dec 11, 16 at 9:39 pm
Old Dec 11, 16, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.5MM, Bonvoy LIFETIME Titanium Elite, HH Diamd, Priority Clb PLT, Ntnl Exec, Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by turiel View Post
First post, and I'm trying to get my head around something that maybe you guys can help with.

EXP Flying AA mktd+operated intl flight in economy. SWU requested and am first in the upgrade list out of 9 with 2 biz class seats available (checked via AA seat availability tool).

Nothing clearing, right up to boarding announcement, when they announce no upgrades available. Tool still shows 2 seats available.

I board and since I'm directly behind the 2 avail seats, I can see that there's nobody in them. We take off, and there's still nobody.

After ascension is complete a pilot comes and takes 1 seat and puts his stuff on the other. I don't know if he was the actual pilot/co-pilot for the flight or a deadhead. He was there until about an hour before landing.

What's going on? Obviously I feel my SWU should have been honored, and this is one more thing in a year long string of negative experiences with AA, but I'm curious if this is normal/acceptable?
- It used to be that pilots would have two J seats blocked for them to rest. Sometimes one seat is used by the pilot while the neighboring seat is empty for security reasons. Once, I was allowed to take the second seat but that was the pilot decision. On B787 DFW-PVG flight this year I was told that pilots feel claustrophobic in their rest compartment and therefore they continuing occupying J seats.
Old Dec 11, 16, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Pilot rest seats should show blocked on AA seat map. Obviously seat map is not a reliable source for availability...just sayin..
Old Dec 12, 16, 1:27 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, Emirates Silver, SPG Plat
Ok, thanks for the replies. I don't begrudge the pilots getting some rest, I understand as a rule they seem to always be overworked. I'd just never seen that happen before. Btw it was a 5hr30min flight so it's not like it was long-long haul.
Old Jan 5, 17, 3:39 am

Programs: AS, AA, BA, SQ
Originally Posted by turiel View Post
Ok, thanks for the replies. I don't begrudge the pilots getting some rest, I understand as a rule they seem to always be overworked. I'd just never seen that happen before. Btw it was a 5hr30min flight so it's not like it was long-long haul.
Depending on where the pilot was flying to next, it may have warranted a "flat sleeping surface" which would trump a revenue passenger. For example my understanding of the most recent pilot contract is that if a LAX based 777 pilot was needed to fly a JFK-LHR trip he would be sent from LAX-JFK in at least J. My way of accepting these situations is preferring to land at my destination jet lagged, tired, and hangry than to be full and asleep as we smash into the Atlantic.
As Wrong or Flawed as it may be its saved me the anger or frustration that would start a trip on a bitter note. When I returned home an email to CS would be in order, but in transit I was never the person to want to test if that "flat sleeping surface" made a difference.
Old Jan 5, 17, 5:35 am

Programs: DL GM, AA PLAT, Hilton Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by brettsir
My way of accepting these situations is preferring to land at my destination jet lagged, tired, and hangry than to be full and asleep as we smash into the Atlantic.
You seem to be a reasonable sort. Good to know you've got your priorities in order.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure everyone on here would be in full agreement with you. A little airplane food goes a long way for some people.
Old Jan 5, 17, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
New upgrade priority

The following UPG priority levels are now in effect:

UPG1/VIP1 Concierge Key
UPG2/VIP2 Executive Platinum
UPG3/VIP3 Platinum Pro
UPG4/VIP4 Platinum
UPG5/VIP5 Gold

A notable difference is that SWU requests now have status levels other than just VIP1.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: