Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VFR
Airport Upgrade and Standby Order, Priority “PALL” List
Questions, Upgrade Anomalies, Issues, etc.
NOTE: Complimentary upgrades are now ordered based on (1) Status, (2) 12 month rolling Loyalty Points, (3) Time and date of upgrade request.

NOTE: As of 1 Jan 2017, your travel companion will "borrow" your PALL listing. Link.

Main PALL list codes. Passengers are ordered by code, then elite status, then other factors. Additional codes may be entered to designate other information, such as companions traveling together.
  • OS# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting seat assignment.
  • RF = Confirmed First Class passenger awaiting seat assignment.
  • DSR# = Standby First Class passenger, confirmed in Economy. Usually used for involuntary downgrades of paid First passengers.
  • VIP# = Passenger awaiting a SWU upgrade.
  • MLG# = Passenger awaiting a mileage and copay upgrade. This may be the same priority as VIP, i.e. VIP1 = MLG1, VIP2 = MLG2, etc.
  • UPG# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting a complimentary, or elite sticker upgrade. Within a status group, passengers are ordered by 12 month rolling loyalty points followed by time and date of upgrade request.
  • RI# = Revenue involuntary standby passenger (bumped from another flight due to oversold condition or travel disruptions). Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
  • RV# = Revenue voluntary standby passenger. Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
  • RV = Non-status revenue passengers on voluntary standby, and certain staff travel.
  • D% = Non-revenue standby passenger (AA employees, family, and friends), where % is an additional number code pertaining to the type of pass and not related to elite status. See the Staff Travel / Buddy Pass Thread.
  • VOL = Volunteer for bump to a later flight. Passengers are ordered by time of volunteering (first come-first served).
  • DG = Passenger with involuntary (or voluntary) downgrade in class-of-service.
  • RL = "Flat Tire Rule" passenger missing a flight through no fault of their own or AA (L=Late, in this case). Note that in some circumstances, AA may offer a confirmed seat on a later flight instead.
  • -T = Through passenger - Addition of this suffix gives priority over other passengers in the same status group, overriding normal time-based ranking. This suffix is supposed to be used for passengers connecting from another flight.
Status indicator numbers UPG/VIP (#) = 1 = Concierge Key; 2 = Executive Platinum; 3 = Platinum Pro; 4 = Platinum, 5 = Gold; no number = no status (e.g. UPG2/VIP2 for EP).

C/o sensei:

The following UPG priority levels are now in effect:
  • UPG1/VIP1 Concierge Key
  • UPG2/VIP2 Executive Platinum
  • UPG3/VIP3 Platinum Pro
  • UPG4/VIP4 Platinum
  • UPG5/VIP5 Gold
  • UPG/VIP No status
UPGC is used for operational upgrades

Revenue Standbys are cleared in the following order:
  • RIT (involuntary, transit)
  • RI (involuntary)
  • RV (voluntary)
  • RL (late)
*Numbers corresponding to elite status will determine the order of the passengers within each category.

All revenue standbys are cleared before any non-revenue standbys

Older posts have been archived to this thread.
Print Wikipost

Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Old Apr 9, 2022, 9:07 am

they do allow u to standby for F if you have a F paid ticket — not an upgrade. if you can’t be accommodated in F they are suppose to ask you if Y is OK. Or if you want to standby for the next flight in F.

Originally Posted by WeekendTraveler
If you have a paid first-class seat, when you go standby on another flight, when you clear the standby list, you are put into coach. Then you have to ask to be added to the upgrade list. So there’s very little chance of ending up with a first class seat on the new flight, even though you paid for a first class seat. And if you purchase a first-class seat but aren’t elite, I guess there is no way to go standby for another flight but stay in first class?

Why doesn’t AA allow you to go standby straight into a first class seat on the new flight, if you purchased a first class seat (with cash)?

This is a real disincentive to pay for first class tickets.

I realize that AA wants to help elites who may get upgraded, but if you’re paying for a first-class seat, you have a reasonable expectation of having one, whereas if you’re an elite hoping for an upgrade, there’s no guarantee and the chance of getting upgraded these days is slim.
WeekendTraveler likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 10:03 am

Programs: Some more than others
If you have a paid first-class seat, when you go standby on another flight, when you clear the standby list, you are put into coach. Then you have to ask to be added to the upgrade list. So there’s very little chance of ending up with a first class seat on the new flight, even though you paid for a first class seat. And if you purchase a first-class seat but aren’t elite, I guess there is no way to go standby for another flight but stay in first class?

Why doesn’t AA allow you to go standby straight into a first class seat on the new flight, if you purchased a first class seat (with cash)?

This is a real disincentive to pay for first class tickets.

I realize that AA wants to help elites who may get upgraded, but if you’re paying for a first-class seat, you have a reasonable expectation of having one, whereas if you’re an elite hoping for an upgrade, there’s no guarantee and the chance of getting upgraded these days is slim.
It's certainly "possible" to do this and I've done it many times over the years. That being said IME it can be a pain. Usually it starts with a knowledgeable agent who lists me as a DSR (though a couple of times with other codes). Then the GA needs to know about the DSR code and process it accordingly. I've had a couple of GAs over the years force downgrade me (after printing an F BP) saying that you have to go to Y first only to upgrade someone listed as UPG, but thankfully that is few and far between.

Thankfully with SDFC I've been able to bypass most of this malarkey in recent years.

OT - but with this new T-40 automation I've been curious to see how the system handles some of the more exotic situations (e.g. DSR/DSX/R for a premium cabin, etc).
Old Apr 9, 2022, 11:55 am
Suspended

777lover and SCChris, thank you both very much.

Originally Posted by SCChris
It's certainly "possible" to do this and I've done it many times over the years. That being said IME it can be a pain. Usually it starts with a knowledgeable agent who lists me as a DSR (though a couple of times with other codes). Then the GA needs to know about the DSR code and process it accordingly. I've had a couple of GAs over the years force downgrade me (after printing an F BP) saying that you have to go to Y first only to upgrade someone listed as UPG, but thankfully that is few and far between.
I have a flight tomorrow for which I bought a paid FC ticket, and the same day flight change part of the AA app only shows standby flights available (no confirmed).

If I click on the app to put myself on the standby list, do I then go to an agent (at the Admirals Club or ticket counter or gate) and say "please list me as a DSR" and then do I go up to the gate before upgrades are cleared and tell them, "I'm listed as a DSR"?

And is there a way to be sure to clear the standby list, into a FC seat, before upgrades are processed?

In the past, when I've had a paid FC seat and wanted to go standby, I've cleared the standby list, but the agent then hands me a coach boarding pass and says, "you'd need to now clear the upgrade list but I already processed upgrades and FC is full."

Thanks.
ExpatExp likes this.

Last edited by WeekendTraveler; Apr 9, 2022 at 2:08 pm
Old Apr 9, 2022, 4:59 pm

Programs: Some more than others
777lover and SCChris, thank you both very much.

I have a flight tomorrow for which I bought a paid FC ticket, and the same day flight change part of the AA app only shows standby flights available (no confirmed).

If I click on the app to put myself on the standby list, do I then go to an agent (at the Admirals Club or ticket counter or gate) and say "please list me as a DSR" and then do I go up to the gate before upgrades are cleared and tell them, "I'm listed as a DSR"?

And is there a way to be sure to clear the standby list, into a FC seat, before upgrades are processed?

In the past, when I've had a paid FC seat and wanted to go standby, I've cleared the standby list, but the agent then hands me a coach boarding pass and says, "you'd need to now clear the upgrade list but I already processed upgrades and FC is full."

Thanks.
If you have an EF subscription I would set an alert for the flight you want and whatever inventory bucket you have. If it appears then you can try SDFC again and change flights (provided same routing). If you don't then you may want to periodically try SDFC to see if it becomes available to confirm immediately.

Otherwise I'd try to standby with an agent and tell them you're interested in First. IME AC agents have been more helpful in this situation than others, but a very big YMMV.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA-EXP
This is where everyone really needs to understand the difference between Same Day Flight Change and Same Day Standy-By. SDFC means you can confirm into F (if you are already in F, Paid or Upgraded). SDSB only gets you a seat in Y if available at the gate, and most GA do NOT give any preference to whether you were previously in F or Y, whether paid or upgraded. Only after they have already processed Upgrades will they look at Stand-by, so the chances are extremely slim of you getting into F, regardless of how you got into F on your previous flight. They usually act like they are doing you a huge favor to get you on this plane at all.
_kurt and WeekendTraveler like this.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 8:17 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by RememberTheConcord
The Wikipost says “VIP” is used for SWUs and that “UPG” is used for complimentary and mileage upgrades. However, it seems to be well documented elsewhere that mileage upgrades are at an equal priority tier to SWUs. So wouldn’t that mean that a mileage upgraded should be listed as a VIP, to make sure it gets listed ahead of the UPG? Or is there some behind the scenes way that mileage upgrade UPG is prioritized before complimentary UPG?
It seems MLG# is used for mileage upgrades. I'm not sure whether it's prioritized before/after/equal to VIP# within priority levels.

Incidentally, UPP3 seems to be used for Alaska MVP 75Ks.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
These problems with reticketing First Class/ Business Class itineraries are generally better done on the phone with an agent. Or in the Admirals Club with an agent. The online systems are simply not designed to handle complex changes well. Having said that, I will note that for IRROPS disruptions, when seated in F even with a lowly e500 upgrade, the app usually offers some alternative routings in F, often impractically timed or placed. But F seats are usually availed.

Gate agents are not ticket agents. They are there to close the flight as quickly as possible. If you want First, you need to sort it out before T-40. Sometimes this means an hours long phone hold.
ExpatExp, ryanbriar, Uzzar and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 9, 2022, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Why doesn’t AA allow you to go standby straight into a first class seat on the new flight, if you purchased a first class seat (with cash)? This is a real disincentive to pay for first class tickets.
It's almost impossible to get a gate agent to understand that you are DSR and not UPG. I agree with the other poster who mentioned that you need to get things sorted out before you get to the gate agent.
Uzzar and WeekendTraveler like this.
Old May 17, 2022, 5:02 pm
VFR

I updated the wiki in this thread to reflect the existence of MLG#, as well as changing the formatting and some other aspects. Do take a look.
ceebee100 and Cheynewalk like this.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 10:19 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by VFR
It seems MLG# is used for mileage upgrades. I'm not sure whether it's prioritized before/after/equal to VIP# within priority levels.

Incidentally, UPP3 seems to be used for Alaska MVP 75Ks.
Is MLG# prioritized ahead of UPP# when it goes to airport control?

if not, is there a downside if removing my miles/copay upgrade request before I head to the airport? Would t-4 be optimal?
Old Jun 24, 2022, 8:26 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Standby Priority Ranking Question

Yesterday at ORD, my flight was canceled and I was able to immediately book on the last flight out to OMA and be placed on standby for an earlier flight. Does anyone have insight to how they rank the standby order, my belief was it was based on status first. I missed the standby by 1 as I was ranked 7. As I watched the gate agent call up the standbys ahead of me, some were not EXP. When I asked the gate agent, she said the persons ahead of me had their flight canceled, once she realized I also was on that canceled flight, she went on to say something about time stamp, when I countered that status supersedes (or at least I thought) time stamp. I thought maybe AA ranked me lower since I already had a confirmed reservation later. Any advice on strategies in the future? As soon as the flight canceled I called the EXP desk and was able to get an agent within 5 minutes to rebook and be listed on standby.
Thanks.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 8:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does the AA standby list include those who are confirmed on the flight but don't have seat assignments? If not, I would have tried to ask the GA why a top-tier elite was placed so low on the list before standbys were cleared.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 9:22 am
VFR

Check out the wiki on the PALL list thread.

As an EXP you should have bee RI2. It's possible that you were listed as RV2 due to the later flight you were confirmed on, in which case all of the RI# passengers would be ahead of you.
Uzzar likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2022, 1:01 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by plancast
Yesterday at ORD, my flight was canceled and I was able to immediately book on the last flight out to OMA and be placed on standby for an earlier flight. Does anyone have insight to how they rank the standby order, my belief was it was based on status first. I missed the standby by 1 as I was ranked 7. As I watched the gate agent call up the standbys ahead of me, some were not EXP. When I asked the gate agent, she said the persons ahead of me had their flight canceled, once she realized I also was on that canceled flight, she went on to say something about time stamp, when I countered that status supersedes (or at least I thought) time stamp. I thought maybe AA ranked me lower since I already had a confirmed reservation later. Any advice on strategies in the future? As soon as the flight canceled I called the EXP desk and was able to get an agent within 5 minutes to rebook and be listed on standby.
Thanks.
Since you had a confirmed seat on a later flight and stood by for an earlier one, you were coded RV (revenue voluntary). Passengers who were not able to book replacement flights are coded RI (revenue involuntary). RIs are always ahead of RVs on the priority list regardless of elite status.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
500 Stickers went away July 14, but upgrade list still nor sorted correctly

Checked in 12 hours before flight with lower level companion (on same PNR) day after July 14th. . But contrary to what AA said, the companion is showing up sorted at their Elite level and not just below me (as EXP). If the companion were not Elite - they would be just below me.

I thought AA would have fixed this when the stickers went away - but apparently not.

NOT sorted correctly - typo in title.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.