Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 4, 20, 6:29 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Airport Upgrade and Standby Order, Priority “PALL” List
questions, upgrade anomalies, issues, etc.

NOTE: Upgrade waitlist priority changes from 1) Status, followed by 2) Date of request to 1) Status, followed by 2) Rolling EQD earning for last 365 days on 20 May 2017. Link to FT thread.

NOTE: As of 1 Jan 2017, your travel companion will "borrow" your PALL listing. Link. AA's employee newsletter also gives a complete breakdown on page 5 here: http://c.hub.aa.com/email/arrivals/2...vals_final.pdf

Main PALL list codes. Passengers are ordered by code, then elite status, then other time-based factors. Additional codes may be entered to designate other information, such as companions traveling together.
OS# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting seat assignment.
RF = Confirmed First Class passenger awaiting seat assignment.
DSR# = Standby First Class passenger, confirmed in Economy.
VIP# = Passenger awaiting a SWU upgrade.
UPG# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting mileage, complimentary, or elite sticker upgrade.
.........Within a status group, passengers are ordered by date and time of original request.
RI# = Revenue involuntary standby passenger (bumped from another flight due to oversold condition or travel disruptions).
.........Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
RV# = Revenue voluntary standby passenger. Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
RV = Non-status revenue passengers eligible for voluntary standby.
D% = Non-revenue standby passenger (AA employees, family, and friends), where % is an additional number code pertaining to the type of pass and not related to elite status.
VOL = Volunteer for bump to a later flight.
.........Passengers are ordered by time of volunteering (first come-first served).
DG = Passenger with involuntary (or voluntary) downgrade in class-of-service.
RL = "Flat Tire Rule" passenger missing a flight through no fault of their own or AA (L=Late, in this case)
-T = Through passenger - Addition of this suffix gives priority over other passengers in the same status group, overriding normal time-based ranking. This suffix is supposed to be used for passengers connecting from another flight.
● Status indicator numbers UPG/VIP (#) = 1 = Concierge Key; 2 = Executive Platinum; 3 = Platinum Pro; 4 = Platinum, 5 = Gold; no number = no status (e.g. UPG2/VIP2 for EP).
C/o sensei:

The following UPG priority levels are now in effect:
  • UPG1/VIP1 Concierge Key
  • UPG2/VIP2 Executive Platinum
  • UPG3/VIP3 Platinum Pro
  • UPG4/VIP4 Platinum
  • UPG5/VIP5 Gold
  • UPG/VIP No status
UPGC is used for operational upgrades

"a notable difference is that SWU requests now have status levels other than just VIP1

Revenue Standbys are cleared in the following order:
RIT (involuntary, transit)
RI (involuntary)
RV (voluntary)
RL (late)

*Numbers corresponding to elite status will determine the order of the passengers within each category.

All revenue standbys are cleared before any non-revenue standbys

Older posts have been archived to this thread.

Print Wikipost

Old Apr 18, 18, 2:27 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by dkc192 View Post
People have posted anecdotal experiences of airport agents adding them as DSRs in similar situation, but certainly not all agents are willing to or know how to do so.
This is what I ensure they do if I have a ticket in a higher cabin but seats are not available in that cabin -- DSR. And yes, many agents will think you mean "upgrade" even if you explain the situation and will not add you correctly. I either use a trusted agent or ask one agent to do it and then go back to a different agent a few minutes later to confirm it has been done correctly.
Old Apr 18, 18, 4:08 am

I learned this the hard way on a full fare J ticket the other day that was booked in Y class for domestic segments due to full front cabin at time of ticketing. It wasnt until I made it to DFW for the second domestic segment that i found someone in the AC to code this in as a DSR. I cleared into the front cabin minutes later as I approached the gate for boarding.
Old Apr 18, 18, 4:54 am

This raises an interesting question for award redemptions. If I book a Saaver biz award for SEA-DFW-LHR and accept T class for the first segment, should my request on day of departure (assuming no U space has opened) be coded as DSR? Or does that require U space to open for movement to the forward cabin?
Old Apr 18, 18, 5:19 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by stephem View Post
This raises an interesting question for award redemptions. If I book a Saaver biz award for SEA-DFW-LHR and accept T class for the first segment, should my request on day of departure (assuming no U space has opened) be coded as DSR? Or does that require U space to open for movement to the forward cabin?
This is exactly the question that was asked five posts ago. Some, not all, agents will add you as DSR. If you are coded as a DSR, you don't need U space to clear; all you need is an empty J seat.
Old Apr 27, 18, 7:41 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Choice Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
New to the Gold status and to standby bought I had a question. I bought a ticket for tomorrow afternoon, Fare Code I - first, this is a short domestic. I logged on today to do standby for an earlier flight as confirmed seats weren't available. My name is showing first on the standby list and I also went on expertflyer and signed up but can't really make sense of it *yet*.
Question is, since my name appears first, does this mean I will be the first to clear and when would I know? I plan on arriving to airport for that flight anyway just in case. Does it matter that I have an *I* ticket, i have no problem taking a coach seat if it meant I can leave on that flight (its like a 30 min trip). or would they pass me up on the list since there is only one seat showing left in first?

eta: does the order of the standby list matter ??
Old Apr 27, 18, 9:34 am

Programs: AA EP
I believe that standbys will be processed based on elite level first. So if an EP wants to go standby for First, they would clear ahead of you. As u are standby for First, u should clear into F before any upgrades. If for some reason there isn’t any F left, the agent should ask you if you will tie a Y seat.

Anytime that I have stood by with an I ticket, I have always cleared into F and was processed before any upgrade requests.

Alos keep checking EF to see if an I seat drops in.

Originally Posted by miadukes View Post
New to the Gold status and to standby bought I had a question. I bought a ticket for tomorrow afternoon, Fare Code I - first, this is a short domestic. I logged on today to do standby for an earlier flight as confirmed seats weren't available. My name is showing first on the standby list and I also went on expertflyer and signed up but can't really make sense of it *yet*.
Question is, since my name appears first, does this mean I will be the first to clear and when would I know? I plan on arriving to airport for that flight anyway just in case. Does it matter that I have an *I* ticket, i have no problem taking a coach seat if it meant I can leave on that flight (its like a 30 min trip). or would they pass me up on the list since there is only one seat showing left in first?

eta: does the order of the standby list matter ??
Old Apr 27, 18, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier View Post
I believe that standbys will be processed based on elite level first. So if an EP wants to go standby for First, they would clear ahead of you. As u are standby for First, u should clear into F before any upgrades. If for some reason there isn’t any F left, the agent should ask you if you will tie a Y seat.

Anytime that I have stood by with an I ticket, I have always cleared into F and was processed before any upgrade requests.

Alos keep checking EF to see if an I seat drops in.

So another question, what do I do if I see an I seat, does this mean then I can do a confirmed change instead? ( I haven't seen that option come up)

Do you typically present yourself to the agent and let them know you are there (i would totally be ok with a Y seat) Its only a short hop and I booked the first class ticket because it was actually cheaper than Economy knowing I could do standby.
Should I let her/him know I would be ok with a Y ticket as well?

Sorry for all the questions, I have been reading up and trying to learn all the ins and outs of this but still figuring it out.
Old Apr 27, 18, 11:08 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL WFBF, National Emerald Club, Global Entry, CSR, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by miadukes View Post
So another question, what do I do if I see an I seat, does this mean then I can do a confirmed change instead? ( I haven't seen that option come up)

Do you typically present yourself to the agent and let them know you are there (i would totally be ok with a Y seat) Its only a short hop and I booked the first class ticket because it was actually cheaper than Economy knowing I could do standby.
Should I let her/him know I would be ok with a Y ticket as well?

Sorry for all the questions, I have been reading up and trying to learn all the ins and outs of this but still figuring it out.
Assuming you want to be proactive (as opposed to just waiting for them to call your name), approach the GA with a smile and at a time when they don't seem super busy and say something like "I see I am number 1 on the standby list. I have a first class ticket, can you tell me what my chances are?" The response will probably be either "I'm going to clear you in just a moment" or "You'll need to wait until the end of bearding to see if someone no-shows". If in the second situation, they will probably ask you at that point if you are ok with Y. If they don't you could volunteer that information and then you will again get one of the aforementioned responses (depending on whether there are open seats).
Old Apr 27, 18, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by wetrat0 View Post
Assuming you want to be proactive (as opposed to just waiting for them to call your name), approach the GA with a smile and at a time when they don't seem super busy and say something like "I see I am number 1 on the standby list. I have a first class ticket, can you tell me what my chances are?" The response will probably be either "I'm going to clear you in just a moment" or "You'll need to wait until the end of bearding to see if someone no-shows". If in the second situation, they will probably ask you at that point if you are ok with Y. If they don't you could volunteer that information and then you will again get one of the aforementioned responses (depending on whether there are open seats).
Ok great. thanks.
Old Apr 27, 18, 11:59 am
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by AAExpDFW View Post
Uogrades are fully gate controlled. Someone wasn’t being totally honest with you....I’m thinking they probably cleared a “friend” and then un-cleared them when you called them out. Good for you!
I'm not so sure they are fully gate controlled. Here's why...on a recent domestic flight out of CLT at T-30 there were no pax on the upgrade list and EF showed J1. I asked gate agent if I could apply my certs to upgrade (I hadn't done this in advance in the app/online) and he said it was full and there were 7 people ahead of me the upgrade list. He had no answer as to why there were zero people on the upgrade list on my mobile device, or on the gate screen (though there were more than 7 on the flight standby list).

Not totally buying his answer, I went to the concourse kiosk a few feet away and did a self-service upgrade. Within seconds my name was on the upgrade list (on app and on the gate board) and within another 30 seconds or so I cleared. There's no doubt in my mind that the system did this, and it was *AFTER* boarding began (within 30 minutes of flight). I saw both agents at the counter were busy boarding and working with other passengers in this short span of time from time I applied my upgrades to the time they cleared.
Old Apr 30, 18, 7:06 am

So not sure if this is the right place for my question but it does have to do with a followup to my standby earlier. So I was able to succesfully get on the earlier flight as a standby although in the economy cabin (I just wanted to get there earlier). I knew from reading here that my EQMs should post in my original ticket form, so yes I got my EQD's from my 1st class purchase and my EQMs as it showed when i booked. Those succesfully posted yesterday like I expected them too. This morning I open up an email from American letting me know that they have succesfully given me a refund of $35 (my original ticket was $145). Where did this come from? Do they normally issue a refund since I took a different fare class? Will they claw back any of my EQD's or EQMs?
To be clear, i did not expect a refund and it it claws back what I already earned, I really dont want it (gold challenge and all). so is this typical?
Old Apr 30, 18, 11:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Hi there,

I had requested SWU on BOS-DFW-HKG and HKG-DFW-BOS almost 3 weeks
back. Until yesterday the DFW-HKG and HKG-DFW segments showed N/A in
my online record.

Today I made change to my inbound from HKG-DFW to HKG-LAX. The Exp Agent
did the exact same thing that I had done before and applied SWU request to the
changed leg. When I checked the online record it showed "Systemwide Upgrade"
in the record. (while the outbound still showed N/A) This concerned me and
I called back to make sure my outbound was properly requested 3 weeks back !
Agent had to redo the outbound and now both of them show Systemwide upgrade
online.

I am confused...
- Should the online record show "systemwide upgrade" once it is put in
wait list ?
- Does that appear N/A first and change to systemwide later ? when ?
- Did I lose on any upgrades that happened during this time ? I did not
get any EF alerts so I do not think I missed but who knows ?

Any thoughts into what should have happened ? Thanks in advance.
Old May 19, 18, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
UPGC?

What is UPGC when it comes to upgrades? Overheard a GA arguing with another about these three being listed as UPGC.

i think, they are or were PE customers.
Old May 19, 18, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SpinOn2 View Post
What is UPGC when it comes to upgrades? Overheard a GA arguing with another about these three being listed as UPGC.

i think, they are or were PE customers.
UPGC is the code for an op-up... a complimentary upgrade that doesn’t need to be supported by miles or stickers. I believe the UPGCs are sorted by status, so if a flight is oversold in coach but has open seats up front, the coach customer with the highest status will get it first.

UPGM is also an op-up code, usually used for military, but they get the upgrade last (even after non revs are cleared into F.)

For either type of upgrade, an AAgent at the airport has to add you manually to the list. Obviously, any kind of op-up is rare.
Old May 20, 18, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wahooflyer View Post

UPGC is the code for an op-up... a complimentary upgrade that doesn’t need to be supported by miles or stickers. I believe the UPGCs are sorted by status, so if a flight is oversold in coach but has open seats up front, the coach customer with the highest status will get it first.

UPGM is also an op-up code, usually used for military, but they get the upgrade last (even after non revs are cleared into F.)

For either type of upgrade, an AAgent at the airport has to add you manually to the list. Obviously, any kind of op-up is rare.
Thank you for your information. All I'd like to know is dang where ever are my complimentary op-ups lol.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: