Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VFR
Airport Upgrade and Standby Order, Priority “PALL” List
Questions, Upgrade Anomalies, Issues, etc.
NOTE: Complimentary upgrades are now ordered based on (1) Status, (2) 12 month rolling Loyalty Points, (3) Time and date of upgrade request.

NOTE: As of 1 Jan 2017, your travel companion will "borrow" your PALL listing. Link.

Main PALL list codes. Passengers are ordered by code, then elite status, then other factors. Additional codes may be entered to designate other information, such as companions traveling together.
  • OS# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting seat assignment.
  • RF = Confirmed First Class passenger awaiting seat assignment.
  • DSR# = Standby First Class passenger, confirmed in Economy. Usually used for involuntary downgrades of paid First passengers.
  • VIP# = Passenger awaiting a SWU upgrade.
  • MLG# = Passenger awaiting a mileage and copay upgrade. This may be the same priority as VIP, i.e. VIP1 = MLG1, VIP2 = MLG2, etc.
  • UPG# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting a complimentary, or elite sticker upgrade. Within a status group, passengers are ordered by 12 month rolling loyalty points followed by time and date of upgrade request.
  • RI# = Revenue involuntary standby passenger (bumped from another flight due to oversold condition or travel disruptions). Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
  • RV# = Revenue voluntary standby passenger. Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
  • RV = Non-status revenue passengers on voluntary standby, and certain staff travel.
  • D% = Non-revenue standby passenger (AA employees, family, and friends), where % is an additional number code pertaining to the type of pass and not related to elite status. See the Staff Travel / Buddy Pass Thread.
  • VOL = Volunteer for bump to a later flight. Passengers are ordered by time of volunteering (first come-first served).
  • DG = Passenger with involuntary (or voluntary) downgrade in class-of-service.
  • RL = "Flat Tire Rule" passenger missing a flight through no fault of their own or AA (L=Late, in this case). Note that in some circumstances, AA may offer a confirmed seat on a later flight instead.
  • -T = Through passenger - Addition of this suffix gives priority over other passengers in the same status group, overriding normal time-based ranking. This suffix is supposed to be used for passengers connecting from another flight.
Status indicator numbers UPG/VIP (#) = 1 = Concierge Key; 2 = Executive Platinum; 3 = Platinum Pro; 4 = Platinum, 5 = Gold; no number = no status (e.g. UPG2/VIP2 for EP).

C/o sensei:

The following UPG priority levels are now in effect:
  • UPG1/VIP1 Concierge Key
  • UPG2/VIP2 Executive Platinum
  • UPG3/VIP3 Platinum Pro
  • UPG4/VIP4 Platinum
  • UPG5/VIP5 Gold
  • UPG/VIP No status
UPGC is used for operational upgrades

Revenue Standbys are cleared in the following order:
  • RIT (involuntary, transit)
  • RI (involuntary)
  • RV (voluntary)
  • RL (late)
*Numbers corresponding to elite status will determine the order of the passengers within each category.

All revenue standbys are cleared before any non-revenue standbys

Older posts have been archived to this thread.
Print Wikipost

Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by AAEmpireState
In those situations where my upgrade already cleared, even the best of agents sadly haven't been able to let my husband inherit my status - once the upgrade is processed, the system refuses to allow your elite status to be added to a traveling companion.
Is this true even if the companion is no status? They can't be added at the airport even be added to the list?
Old May 10, 2017, 2:40 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Duplicate post as ft mobile doesn't display everything properly.
Old May 10, 2017, 4:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by beachfan
Is this true even if the companion is no status? They can't be added at the airport even be added to the list?
I've had the ticket counter agents add myself and my wife to the list several times when I couldn't do it at booking (more than 2 people on the PNR). Wife has no status and I'm platinum.

They've even done it while flying on award tix, even though they weren't supposed to. It pays to be nice.
Old May 10, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
Duplicate post as ft mobile doesn't display everything properly.
I saw your first post come in over email, with the chart image, but you may have deleted it? That chart is the most beautiful AA related graphic I have ever seen. I want to get it tattooed on my forearm to proudly show agents that don't assign RV to elite SDS.

I'm not sure where you got it from and it's not mine to repost, but I think it would be enormously useful to add to the wiki.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
I confirmed in F using an SWU for a domestic flight five days away. I thought the cabin would fill up, but doesn't appear to be doing so as quickly as I'd thought...

Assuming my original coach inventory is available, can I cancel my SWU, go back to coach and be added to complimentary upgrade list? If so, what's my priority based on?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
I confirmed in F using an SWU for a domestic flight five days away. I thought the cabin would fill up, but doesn't appear to be doing so as quickly as I'd thought...

Assuming my original coach inventory is available, can I cancel my SWU, go back to coach and be added to complimentary upgrade list? If so, what's my priority based on?
This trip?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...wu-go-j-f.html
Old Aug 14, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543

This used to be problematic, as I think when you did that (prior to March), your date of request would be NA or something weird like that . When I did it, I was at the very bottom of a long ExPlat list even though my original complimentary request date was 6 months prior.

It seems to be working ok, in that in July I did that and it worked out. But I don't know where I was on the list; cleared before airport. The bigger issue is that sometimes complimentary upgrades clear before SWUs once the window opens up (prior to airport control).
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by beachfan
This used to be problematic, as I think when you did that (prior to March), your date of request would be NA or something weird like that . When I did it, I was at the very bottom of a long ExPlat list even though my original complimentary request date was 6 months prior.

It seems to be working ok, in that in July I did that and it worked out. But I don't know where I was on the list; cleared before airport. The bigger issue is that sometimes complimentary upgrades clear before SWUs once the window opens up (prior to airport control).
Also worth noting; while I personally don't see it applying in this case, this kind thing (holding a seat in a higher cabin using an instrument and then cancelling that close to flight time, taking a comp upgrade instead)-- especially if done as a habit-- can and has been deemed a violation of AAdv T&C in cases.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Nope - I ended up taking the FT advice and just using miles on the JFK-SFO. Looking forward to trying it out but not until September.
JonNYC likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:20 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Upgrade list #1 and #4 cleared

What scenarios would cause this to happen:

40 minutes prior to flight, the upgrade standby list at the gate has 5 people on it. #1 and #4 are cleared. Why might #2 and #3 get hosed?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:23 pm

Maybe they're companions who had to be upgraded together.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
You'll also see this often on 3-cabin (F/J/Y) aircraft (32T and 77W) where two different cabins worth of upgrade requests are merged onto a single list.

-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
3 cabin J-F upgrades?
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:37 pm

companion upgrade or mile upgrade should trump all if they make fare bucket available
Old Aug 23, 2017, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Maybe #2 and #3 were traveling with other people on the aircraft and decided to decline the upgrade to sit with them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.