Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 4, 20, 6:29 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Airport Upgrade and Standby Order, Priority “PALL” List
questions, upgrade anomalies, issues, etc.

NOTE: Upgrade waitlist priority changes from 1) Status, followed by 2) Date of request to 1) Status, followed by 2) Rolling EQD earning for last 365 days on 20 May 2017. Link to FT thread.

NOTE: As of 1 Jan 2017, your travel companion will "borrow" your PALL listing. Link. AA's employee newsletter also gives a complete breakdown on page 5 here: http://c.hub.aa.com/email/arrivals/2...vals_final.pdf

Main PALL list codes. Passengers are ordered by code, then elite status, then other time-based factors. Additional codes may be entered to designate other information, such as companions traveling together.
OS# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting seat assignment.
RF = Confirmed First Class passenger awaiting seat assignment.
DSR# = Standby First Class passenger, confirmed in Economy.
VIP# = Passenger awaiting a SWU upgrade.
UPG# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting mileage, complimentary, or elite sticker upgrade.
.........Within a status group, passengers are ordered by date and time of original request.
RI# = Revenue involuntary standby passenger (bumped from another flight due to oversold condition or travel disruptions).
.........Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
RV# = Revenue voluntary standby passenger. Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
RV = Non-status revenue passengers eligible for voluntary standby.
D% = Non-revenue standby passenger (AA employees, family, and friends), where % is an additional number code pertaining to the type of pass and not related to elite status.
VOL = Volunteer for bump to a later flight.
.........Passengers are ordered by time of volunteering (first come-first served).
DG = Passenger with involuntary (or voluntary) downgrade in class-of-service.
RL = "Flat Tire Rule" passenger missing a flight through no fault of their own or AA (L=Late, in this case)
-T = Through passenger - Addition of this suffix gives priority over other passengers in the same status group, overriding normal time-based ranking. This suffix is supposed to be used for passengers connecting from another flight.
● Status indicator numbers UPG/VIP (#) = 1 = Concierge Key; 2 = Executive Platinum; 3 = Platinum Pro; 4 = Platinum, 5 = Gold; no number = no status (e.g. UPG2/VIP2 for EP).
C/o sensei:

The following UPG priority levels are now in effect:
  • UPG1/VIP1 Concierge Key
  • UPG2/VIP2 Executive Platinum
  • UPG3/VIP3 Platinum Pro
  • UPG4/VIP4 Platinum
  • UPG5/VIP5 Gold
  • UPG/VIP No status
UPGC is used for operational upgrades

"a notable difference is that SWU requests now have status levels other than just VIP1

Revenue Standbys are cleared in the following order:
RIT (involuntary, transit)
RI (involuntary)
RV (voluntary)
RL (late)

*Numbers corresponding to elite status will determine the order of the passengers within each category.

All revenue standbys are cleared before any non-revenue standbys

Older posts have been archived to this thread.

Print Wikipost

Old Apr 29, 17, 10:09 am

Programs: AA EP
Per the current rules, yes.

Originally Posted by beachfan View Post
So if I have this correct, if my no-status wife doesn't clear her SWU before it goes to airport control, then she will be pretty much last on the PALL list (with the possible exception of other non-status folks with SWU), even if I"m on the flight.

The list on this flight is often 20 folks long.
Old Apr 29, 17, 10:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AAPlatinum
Originally Posted by YtravelF View Post
Standbys are listed in order of priority, not fare class, so an RI2 in Y will be listed above an RI5 on a J fare. But the RI5 will clear before anyone else if a J seat is open. Hope that makes sense.
I don't think this was the case as the Upgrade List (separate) was about 15 deep. Those would get priority before someone who is not currently on the flight at all, correct?

I think most likely is DCA's comment that it was someone who could sit in the jump seat, but was curious to hear what others thought. Also was very surprised at AA's twitter response, I would have expected them to say it was likely an employee or something.
Old Apr 29, 17, 10:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by maewest View Post
I don't think this was the case as the Upgrade List (separate) was about 15 deep. Those would get priority before someone who is not currently on the flight at all, correct?

I think most likely is DCA's comment that it was someone who could sit in the jump seat, but was curious to hear what others thought. Also was very surprised at AA's twitter response, I would have expected them to say it was likely an employee or something.
If DCA said it, thats all the info ya need-- that's what it was.
Old Apr 29, 17, 10:53 am

It's not a question. The standby passenger you asked about was accommodated in a jump seat.
Old Apr 29, 17, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
I don't believe that's true, even if it did happen to be relevant in this case (ie if KAS, D wasn't accommodated in a jump seat). (Others who know more -- of whom there are many -- can correct me if I'm wrong.)

Someone on a business/first class fare (paid or award, not upgrade) who is not confirmed on the flight should be higher priority for a business class seat than an economy passenger who is confirmed on the flight and wants to upgrade. And of course confirmed passengers seeking an upgrade don't show up on the standby list; they show up on the upgrade list.

What I think you may be confusing is the fact that an EXP on a paid coach fare seeking an upgrade but not confirmed on the flight in economy is lower priority for a business class seat than a Gold on a paid coach fare who is already confirmed on the flight in coach and is seeking an upgrade. Of course, once the EXP is confirmed in economy, the EXP would be higher priority for an upgrade (all else being equal) than a Gold confirmed in economy seeking an upgrade. Upgrades get cleared before coach standbys. I don't know whether upgrades get cleared before paid business class standbys.
Old Apr 29, 17, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by beachfan View Post
So if I have this correct, if my no-status wife doesn't clear her SWU before it goes to airport control, then she will be pretty much last on the PALL list (with the possible exception of other non-status folks with SWU), even if I"m on the flight.

The list on this flight is often 20 folks long.
Sorry to quote my own post, but since this is correct, I'm wondering whether, at the airport, I can pull the SWU and do a 500 segment request for my wife, linked to my record, and have her higher on the status list. From prior comments, I think I need to do it prior to me clearing.

Has anyone done that? Would it also make sense to do it prior to the airport (in case I get upgraded earlier)?
Old Apr 29, 17, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by DCAstudent View Post
Certified is a given, but not all jumpseat-qualified standby passengers are willing to actually take a jump seat. In this case, the passenger was indeed willing.
I'm not certified, but I'm willing to sit in a jump seat...
Old May 6, 17, 5:43 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Why doesn't AA.com let us just put ourselves on standby lists? How hard can that be?

The "Same Day Flight Change" option on AA.com is nice to have, but it usually shows just a few flights, if any. When I go to the airport and have an agent put me on the standby list for a flight, I almost always make the flight, even if the flight wasn't available through the "Same Day Flight Change" option on AA.com.
Old May 6, 17, 10:09 am

Standby list gone from AA app?

I am currently booked on one flight and have been put on the standby list for another.

I can't find the standby list for the earlier flight anywhere in the AA app. I can find the upgrade list, but I'm not on it.

So I guess I just keep checking my mobile boarding pass and see if it changes to the earlier flight or just go to ththe gate and look at the screen?

First world problem, but it would be nice to still have the standby list on the app.
Old May 6, 17, 12:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by NYCommuter View Post
I am currently booked on one flight and have been put on the standby list for another.

I can't find the standby list for the earlier flight anywhere in the AA app. I can find the upgrade list, but I'm not on it.

So I guess I just keep checking my mobile boarding pass and see if it changes to the earlier flight or just go to ththe gate and look at the screen?

First world problem, but it would be nice to still have the standby list on the app.
AFAIK, the standby list was never on the AA app. And I agree it should be.
Old May 6, 17, 4:19 pm

The standby list used to appear for a flight when you were added to the list for that flight.

Also, today I cleared the standby list and made it on an earlier flight. My mobile boarding pass on the app didn't change to the new flight ever, even hours after the earlier flight was complete.
Old May 7, 17, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Back in March I went standby for a LAX-LAS booking and the app showed the list with my position on it.
Old May 7, 17, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by serfty View Post
Back in March I went standby for a LAX-LAS booking and the app showed the list with my position on it.
I use to see it too but since the app upgraded I am no longer seeing it. Anyone able to locate it on the upgraded app?
Old May 7, 17, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
As I feared, I cleared the complimentary upgrade but they didn't open ANY C inventory so my wife (using my SWU) didn't get on (at least no EF notice of availability).

I heard folks had difficulty applying their status to their companion (on a separate PNR) at the airport once they had been upgraded. I'm wondering whether I can do it before the airport takes over.

Specifically, I would
a) Pull SWU
b) put in for a 500 mile upgrade request for her,
c) Link it to my PNR.

Will that give her my status (albeit a late request date), assuming I do it before it goes to the PALL list?

This way, she'd be at the bottom of the ExPlat list instead of at the bottom of the entire list.

Has anyone done this? How much earlier before flight time to be sure it goes to the PALL list with my status - is 5 hours before enough? (I think the PALL takes over 4 hours before but not sure that I don't need a margin).
Old May 7, 17, 1:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold; IHG Gold
Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter View Post
I use to see it too but since the app upgraded I am no longer seeing it. Anyone able to locate it on the upgraded app?
There's a thread about the upgraded app, and the last several posts address that question.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: